Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
US court of appeals wants Sullivan to justify his position.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 595

US court of appeals wants Sullivan to justify his position.

May 22, 2020, 1:43 PM

"On Thursday the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, on its own motion, ordered Judge Sullivan to respond within 10 days to the petition for a writ of mandamus filed by former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn.

Earlier this week, Flynn’s counsel, Sidney Powell, filed the petition for that extraordinary writ, asking the appellate court to instruct Sullivan to grant the Justice Department’s motion to dismiss the case against Flynn..."

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/andrew-mccarthy-flynn-judge-must-explain-his-astounding-and-offensive-refusal-to-dismiss-charges

Imo, Sullivan is just showing his butt to stay in the news.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: US court of appeals wants Sullivan to justify his position.

May 22, 2020, 1:46 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His reputation is that of a liberal activist judge.

May 22, 2020, 2:06 PM

Mueller's team was frustrated to anger because Flynn wouldn't lie and say Trump colluded with Russia. I believe that is also what motivates Sullivan. Flynn, imo, was punished for not breaking the law by committing perjury. What else would a 3 Star General do?

Imo, Flynn is a real American hero and Trump should immediately put him in charge of the FBI to investigate the massive leaking campaign which happened over the last few years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I missed the news. Now Flynn did NOT lie?

May 22, 2020, 3:40 PM

Isn't that why he was fired by his boss?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His boss is a pathological liar, and most of his base

May 22, 2020, 3:44 PM

knows it and embraces that, so I guess that's one less bit of moral ambiguity that Flynn defenders have to concern themselves with.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I missed the news. Now Flynn did NOT lie?

May 22, 2020, 3:48 PM [ in reply to I missed the news. Now Flynn did NOT lie? ]

Where did it say he didn't lie?

May 22, 2020, 4:04 PM

The AG deemed it's not a crime, but pretty clear he lied. We should expect better from US Generals.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where did it say he didn't lie?

May 22, 2020, 4:08 PM

May 22, 2020, 4:10 PM [ in reply to Where did it say he didn't lie? ]

He lied when his son was threatened with prosecution, idiot! What would you do? Get informed, and stop your bias!

As a general rule of thumb, for the threat of prosecution to

May 22, 2020, 4:32 PM

carry any weight, especially to the extent that you would lie to the FBI to shield oneself or another person from said prosecution, one would have to believe that there was some merit to the threatened charges. Otherwise, the answer is "go ahead, prosecute."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As a general rule of thumb, for the threat of prosecution to

May 23, 2020, 3:49 AM

Because the FBI would never lie and railroad an innocent person?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Flynn pled guilty to protect his son

May 22, 2020, 6:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Where did it say he didn't lie? ]

Flynn didn't lie to protect his son. Flynn lied all on his own and was busted for it.

Get informed and stop your bias.

Straight from the horse's mouth:
"My guilty plea and agreement to cooperate with the special counsel's office reflect a decision I made in the best interests of my family and of our country. I accept full responsibility for my actions," Flynn said in late 2017 at the time of his plea.

I'll play along with perhaps he shouldn't have been criminally prosecuted for lying, but he clearly lied. Repeatedly. Why do you keep glossing over that fact?

Flynn lied about conversations with Kislyak

May 23, 2020, 2:01 PM

because it was illegal to undermine the current administration. He pleaded guilty to lying about it only when other investigations into more serious issues got too close to his son and partner. Conspiracy to kidnap the Turkish cleric, if proven, would mean life sentences for all three of them.

You should be thrilled about the DOJ dismissing the "lying

May 23, 2020, 2:57 PM

to the FBI" charge so they can present the evidence of this much more serious conspiracy and other crimes.

Since it's true, shouldn't he get life in prison instead of copping a plea to a lesser charge? He shouldn't get off easy. Justice should be blind, don't you think?

You should be very, very happy things are working out this way. Now let's get to some real truth!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

May 22, 2020, 4:32 PM [ in reply to Where did it say he didn't lie? ]

But NOT a material lie..therefore of no consequence. The FBI agents didn't think he was lying. He was entrapped, as hard as that seems to be hard for you to understand?

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is getting more confusing

May 22, 2020, 6:52 PM

So you agree he lied (in your opinion it's not a material lie).

He was entrapped in-so-much that authorities knew the questions to ask that he would lie about to protect himself, son, partners, etc.

This is a grown ### man, a former leader within our armed services, who lacks integrity and lies to protect his own interests. This guy is not a hero anymore.

Re: This is getting more confusing

May 23, 2020, 3:52 AM

“ This is a grown ### man, a former leader within our armed services, who lacks integrity and lies to protect his own interests. This guy is not a hero anymore.”

If only this standard had been used with John McCain.

He didn't fabricate a story about Trump/Russian collusion.

May 22, 2020, 6:30 PM [ in reply to I missed the news. Now Flynn did NOT lie? ]

That enraged the left wing, nutjob activist judge.

Re: His reputation is that of a liberal activist judge.

May 22, 2020, 4:17 PM [ in reply to His reputation is that of a liberal activist judge. ]

Mueller's team was frustrated to anger because Flynn wouldn't lie and say Trump colluded with Russia. I believe that is also what motivates Sullivan. Flynn, imo, was punished for not breaking the law by committing perjury. What else would a 3 Star General do?

Imo, Flynn is a real American hero and Trump should immediately put him in charge of the FBI to investigate the massive leaking campaign which happened over the last few years.

Ummm...Flynn admitted to his guilt, multiple times, under oath and in allocuting his crime in open federal court prior to sentencing. Not much of a hero I would think.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You Trumpers just don’t get it

May 23, 2020, 1:57 AM [ in reply to His reputation is that of a liberal activist judge. ]

Guilty pleas are always made to lesser crimes than the potential. He was under investigation for more serious crimes involving his son and partner. He pleaded guilty to lying to avoid a potential life sentence.

I can’t believe how stupid you people are.

May 23, 2020, 6:40 AM

I've listened to a lot of former military guys like Colonel Ralph Peters on this, and they all say the same things about Michael Flynn: he was a very good officer, especially in the field. As a day-to-day tactical officer, he did really good work, served his country well, and saved a lot of lives.

The problems with him apparently came when he got promoted to a strategic level in military intelligence. He basically turned into Machiovelli, started spinning deals and talking to people he should not have been, power-brokers and oligarchs and strongmen across the world...and when he started playing politics he also violated the essential "oath of service" that military guys pledge themselves to.

In America, the military serves. They are not supposed to be players. And Flynn was running around all over the world to places like Russia and Turkey doing deals and trading influence...and this is exactly what got him crosswise of the Obama administration and why Obama personally tried to warn Trump not to allow Flynn into his sphere of influence. Flynn had gone rogue.

Appearing at Trump rallies and shouting "lock her up!" showed pretty clearly how far off the reservation Flynn had gone. Officers - especially generals! - are absolutely not supposed to be political partisans.

These same military officers are also ambiguous on whether or not Flynn should actually do hard jail time. On one hand, they say, Flynn served his country well for years. On the other, he did indeed violate his oath of service and go rogue, and then he added political partisanship to his list of sins.

So what now? Flynn's been in legal hot water for years. He's broke. He lost his house. He's spent the last four years living with the stress and fear of both financial ruin and the prospect of hard jail time.

I dunno. The guy made some bad, bad choices and there is no doubt he went rogue. But is he an actual "criminal"? Murky.

On the other hand, is he any kind of hero, as the right would portray? In Afghanistan and Iraq, he certainly was. But he disgraced himself later, too, and any military man would now turn their backs on him for his subsequent conduct.

Personally, I'd let him go. Let him write his memoirs, get a book deal, make what he can of the rest of his life. And never, ever let him near a position of authority again and let him serve as a cautionary tale.

I don't see the value in jailing the guy; he's not going to run around with a knife in his hand hurting people. On the other hand, he's demonstrated clearly he's not to be trusted with any kind of power, either, and he should never, ever be allowed into a position of public service again either.

Take the politics out of it, IMHO, and do justice the way justice is supposed to happen...which is one case at a time. In Flynn's case, this is what seems fair...to me, anyhow.

May 23, 2020, 9:53 AM

The record of Obama weaponizing the justice department against political opponents is now clear. He declared Rosen of Fox News a spy for reporting on a leak about North Korea and had the man jailed. He went after an AP reporter with the same venom. He put the IRS in attack mode toward the Tea Party and other conservative organizations.

He used Flynn, and abused Flynn and Carter Page as a 'nose under the blanket,' to Trump's campaign, Trump transition to the office of POTUS and to continue having his holdovers like Comey to spy on the president after Trump took office.

Trump named Flynn National Security Adviser. In the phone call they used to file charge against Gen Flynn, Flynn asked the Russian Ambassador to 'not escalate,' Russian response to Obama's sanctions. Should he have advised Russia to escalate its response? He was the incoming NSA.

Now you're ready to turn the spotlight on an innocent man who was a victim of Obama's domestic spying? He was a hero but Trump likes him?

May 23, 2020, 10:13 AM

You are not a bright man.

I already qualified my position.

Perhaps I'm not.

May 23, 2020, 1:28 PM

Your opinion was quite clear. Flynn was a war hero but he backed Trump so he got what he deserved because of he refused to lie and say Trump colluded with Russia.

There's nothing like insulting someone to distract from their correct assessments of your opinion. You use a flowered speech to allow you to cover present your opinion in stealth mode. Very impressive. I learn a lot reading your dissertations.

I wouldn't call him a war hero

May 23, 2020, 1:54 PM

He was a high ranking officer in combat zones, but I don't believe he was involved actual combat. I believe his medals are all for merit instead of valor. That's not an insult, just the reality that acts of valor are situational and rare.

Robert Mueller rescued another marine under fire, was wounded, and won a valor award - that makes him a war hero.

Re: Perhaps I'm not.

May 23, 2020, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Perhaps I'm not. ]

No, I said he'd probably suffered enough and I'd let him go.

The actual story of Flynn is a lot more nuanced than you credit - but nuance and logic are things you don't do, since Trump and anybody involved with him are always somehow the hero of your story, which is beyond the point of tedious. Especially since even Trump and most of his crew seem to take gleeful delight in being the Bad Guys most of the time, which most everybody seems to know except you.

Flynn fell from favor a long time before he ever got mixed up with Trump, and it had nothing whatsoever to do with his political leanings and everything to do with the fact that he was crossing lines.

A real bright guy once said that the sound of half a mind thinking is rationalization. You don't do actual logic; you just predetermine your verdict and then justify it. So it's not really that you're dumb, so much as completely intellectually dishonest.

Bias is inevitable. We're all biased. Prejudgment is something else; those who prejudge are pretty much immune to fact and logic.

Which is why I pretty much have zero respect for you. I don't agree with, say, Tiggity all tje time, but hard fact and cold hard reason are his tools, and I always understand virtually every word of how he gets to his conclusions even if I don't necessarily agree all the time with him.

Big distinction.

May 23, 2020, 2:14 PM

So Flynn fell out of favor with Obama, who btw, "In September 2011, Flynn was promoted to Lieutenant General and assigned as assistant director of national intelligence in the Office of the Director of National Intelligence. On April 17, 2012, President Barack Obama nominated Flynn to be the 18th director of the Defense Intelligence Agency..."

So Obama decided he was a bad guy and that makes him a bad guy. Amazeballs, Obama changed his mind and you changed yours. What did all those generals say when Flynn was promoted and assigned as Assistant DNI by Obama?

But I'm all up Trump's butt so I'm a political hack and you're so together because you're deluded into believing Flynn was a political entity even though two consecutive presidents opposite in political leanings name him to the national intelligence service?

Please stop with the bullchit hyperbole.

May 23, 2020, 2:30 PM

So let's do an intellectual exercise, then, and follow the facts for a moment?

At what point did Flynn fall out of favor with Obama? And what were the situation in which that happened? Again, the situation's nuanced...and it involves a myriad of improper contacts (including one with a woman who was a known Russian asset), clashes with superiors and underlings, and insubordination. At the very least, the guy was a maverick...and the word "rogue" definitely seems to apply.

Hint: Flynn was removed from his post in April of 2014, I believe, and forcibly retired from the military in August 2014.

May 23, 2020, 3:36 PM

That story of the Russian woman was fake news. Her husband picked her up the evening Flynn was alleged to have been with her, according to her husband's statement.

Flynn's sin against Obama was telling congress the truth about whether or not terrorism was expanding in Iraq. Obama said it wasn't yet we saw the truth in Syria.

Was it her husband or her FSB partner?

May 23, 2020, 4:21 PM

I've seen all the spy movies. I know what's up.

Re: Was it her husband or her FSB partner? lol

May 23, 2020, 4:25 PM

Idk, maybe both. Here's a pic of her, her partener and gen flynn...

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

In truth,

May 23, 2020, 4:33 PM

the oligarchs and all the other people he dealt with in Russia are FSB assets, whether they want to be or not.
It's just a fact of life in Russia.

I know you people idolize the man for unknown reasons, but he really is something of a tool by all available evidence.

Yes, everyone who is anyone in Russia was part of the...

May 23, 2020, 5:31 PM

FSB the new KGB, so? Every president in the last 20+ years has had contact with Russian exFSB agents. Flynn was our incoming national security adviser. He was transitioning to take the active NSA position in a few weeks/months, already working for the POTUS elect.

So if the rest of the world believes Trump is

May 23, 2020, 5:35 PM

finished, you would be OK with Susan Rice negotiating with Putin now? There’s a reason they say we have only one president at a time. Honorable people respect that.

Re: So if the rest of the world believes Trump is

May 23, 2020, 11:12 PM

Since the “rest of the world” is apparently the gold standard with you, in May of 2016 who did TROTW think would win?

The really perplexing thing was why she wasn’t “up by 50 points.” LOL.

May 23, 2020, 5:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Perhaps I'm not. ]

That story of the Russian woman was fake news. Her husband picked her up the evening Flynn was alleged to have been with her, according to her husband's statement.

Flynn's sin against Obama was telling congress the truth about whether or not terrorism was expanding in Iraq. Obama said it wasn't yet we saw the truth in Syria.

...and here's a perfect example of the kind of intellectual dishonesty that is at the root of virtually everything you say.

First off, you didn't even acknowledge the truth that Flynn had a history and was fired well in advance of his involvement with Trump...unless you somehow believe that Obama was prescient enough to fire Flynn in 2014 more than two full years before he got involved with Trump's campaign. So already you're moving the goalposts and refusing to acknowledge that an assertion you made was in error...which is endemic of all Trumpites.

Then without acknowledging that, hey, you were wrong about the dates, you then immediately jump to calling the account of his involvement with a known Russian asset "fake news"...which means you then did some google searches and called up your favorite Fox News account on the matter.

Or were you there? Do you have factual evidence this is "fake news?"

I myself was not. I have no idea the truth or falsity of that accusation; I wasn't there and six years later it's a he-said/they-said situation. But there's a ton of that kind of smoke around Flynn, his pattern of behavior was undeniably alarming to many people around him, and he was duly fired from his post at the DIA and then subsequently drummed out of the military.

Again, two full years before any involvement with Trump. But again, you see how you prejudged? You just automatically assumed the accusation was false despite having zero actual evidence of that yourself, just as you assumed that the DIA and military internal reviews on Flynn that got him drummed out were politicized and falsified...which again, is pretty durn serious if true, and I have seen no evidence to that effect. Regardless, that contact was improper (as were many of his subsequent contacts), and were not appropriately reported, which is what really landed him in hot water and made a lot of folks worry he was compromised.

Well before any involvement with Trump. And the FSB compromises people all the time; it's kind of what they do.

Those facts aren't even in dispute - nor, for example, is the fact that as early as 2009 Flynn was censured for unauthorized sharing of intel with Pakistani operatives, though he survived that episode to get promoted in 2011 - so he definitely had a documented history of maverick behavior and a lack of strict adherence to the chain of command.

This is why I think you're a derp, and usually wrong about...well, almost everything. Because you prejudge without any evidence, twist Trump or his minion into the hero of the story...and then start rationalizing and justifying...and it is painful to listen to.

At this point it's a habit seemingly so ingrained in you you're undoubtedly capable of cheating at solitaire. What you do is not logic. It's prejudgment, which is the opposite of logic. There's no point in troubling you with facts, you already know what the truth is - even when you're dead-wrong - and no fact or eyewitness account or even video evidence will change your mind.

Anybody as self-deceptive as you is not okay, my man. Foolishness at some point is dangerous. And if you invested half the effort in actually just following the facts as you do in distorting them, you'd be Socrates, which is the most frustrating thing. You're actually a fairly bright fellow...who for whatever reason just skips deduction and instead wastes your brain in these tortured logic pretzels you do.

So ###, man?

I didn't jump up and google anything.

May 24, 2020, 10:47 AM

I remember what happened. I remember all the fake news reports which convinced the fools of this nation that Trump was a Russian spy, agent, plant and had committed treason and that Flynn was his goto guy for communications with Putin.

You got played, brother. Fox News didn't play you for 2 1/2 years. Now you come at me with intellectual dishonesty? One insult after another and you dismiss what I say while crying FOX, HANNITY AND LIMBAUGH but I am not one to read only Fox and I only watch Hannity after recording the program when Dershowitz or John Solomon are guest. I don't even know how to find Limbaugh's program.

I'm not defending Fox, I'm saying whoever you read is wrong and has been wrong on most of what they reported about Trump during the first two and a half years of his presidency.

I don't blindly follow Trump, that is your lie. You dismiss me on every point but I was the guy in here telling this board that Trump should have shut down travel from EU when he shut down China travel. I was the guy pounding Trump for allowing the CDC and FDA to shut down Dr Chu the Washington doctor who first tracked this virus in that state. I posted the link to that yesterday and it happened to have been a NYT article.

You've decided to categorically dismiss everything I say because I'm the guy who always blindly defends Trump? Where the hail were you when I was bouncing Trump off the wall over the outbreak back in Feb?

I'm not the fool here.

Re: I didn't jump up and google anything.

May 24, 2020, 11:23 AM

Well said

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dems get this chit in their head that demands everything...

May 24, 2020, 11:44 AM

coming from a Trump supporter is wrong. I just pointed out two of their worst lies in the past three years. One was the Russian collusion hoax which they wished into truth. The other was that Trump's shutting down travel from China was a xenophobic driven act a man who hates anyone that isn't white.

A fair criticism of Trump was presented and they attacked me because I said Trump let the CDC and FDA wag the dog. "SCIENCE IS GOD!" The CDC totally botched its duty to identify and eliminate an infectious disease. I don't give a chit who you are, if you don't know what the mission statement of one of our most powerful bureaus is then you need to stay out of the conversation.

The CDC, state reps and federal bureau shut down Dr Chu who was on this pandemic like white on rice long before anyone but a handful saw it was coming. Trump shut down travel from China, have you looked at California's numbers lately?

Compare them to NY and the surrounding area and tell me the major reason they differ.

Sullivan plows fresh ground.

May 24, 2020, 11:20 AM

"The federal judge who refused a Justice Department request to immediately drop the prosecution of former Trump adviser Michael Flynn has hired a high-profile trial lawyer to argue his reasons for investigating whether dismissing the case is legally or ethically appropriate.

In a rare step that adds to this criminal case’s already unusual path, U.S. District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan has retained Beth Wilkinson to represent him in defending his decision to a federal appeals court in Washington, according to a person familiar with the hire who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter."

A political activist who wants to show his butt and stay in the news.

It's a WAPO quote from a website which doesn't require pay to read.

Replies: 39
| visibility 595
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic