Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
UNC offense & defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,788

UNC offense & defense

Dec 4, 2015, 9:05 AM

UNC didn't play the top 4 defenses in the ACC (BC, Clemson, Louisville, FSU). Pitt held them to 26, UVA held them to 26, and VT held them to 24 in regulation (30 after OT) and not to mention that South Carolina held them to 13. (By the way, UVA is 80th/13th(ACC) in total defense and South Carolina is 95th).

UNC's offense did play well against a 32nd ranked Illinois defense (48 points, 471 yards) which is probably their best accomplishment of the season. But, other than that, all of their explosive offensive games came against two FCS opponents, as well as Miami, Duke, Wake, State, and GT, who all rank 8th or worse in the ACC (bottom third of the conference)in total defense except State (who ranks 5th only because they had such an easy first 4 non-conference games). So minus Illinois, UNC's offense didn't score more than 26 points in regulation against any halfway decent defense this season (and remember, they didn't even play the 4 best defenses in the ACC). And, as stated in the previous paragraph, they only scored 13 against SCar (95th) and 26 against UVA (80th).

So how will they fair when they face the 7th ranked defense in college football? They haven't even come close all year to seeing a defense as talented as the one they will see Saturday night.

As for UNC's defense - They best offensive team they've faced all year ranks 42nd in the nation (Duke). How will they fair against one of the best offenses in the country and THE best dual threat QB in the nation?

They rank 65th in total defense and an incredible 105th against the run, and remember that this is against a SUPER soft schedule. The only top 55 rush offenses they've faced all year are GT and NCSU (who by the way ran for 249 & 308 yards respectively on them), and yet they still give up over 208 rushing yards a game and rank 105th against the run (and included in these stats is not one, but two, FCS opponents).

I'm glad the media is building up UNC because it will get our guys attention, but some of these statistics are pretty glaring. I don't doubt that UNC can beat us, but I think if we come out focused (which I think we will since it's a championship game) and don't get too careless with turnovers, we could actually beat them pretty soundly. The more physical team almost always wins, and given that we've won two slug fests against two top 10 teams (Notre Dame and Florida State) and UNC hasn't played anyone better than Pitt or Miami, and the fact that we rank 7th in the nation in total defense while their defense can't stop the run even against weak competition, I would definitely say we are the more physical team.

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UNC offense & defense

Dec 4, 2015, 9:08 AM

You forgot also about NC State, who ranks 22nd in total defense, which they scored 45 on.

Dec 4, 2015, 9:16 AM

I mentioned State - I said they they are only ranked so high on defense because of a super soft non-conference schedule. Their first 4 games (1/3 of their season) was a complete cake walk. If you look at their stats against conference opponents, it's a different story. They are average at best.

State gave up 396 yards per game in conference play.

Dec 4, 2015, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Re: UNC offense & defense ]

Compare that to 206 yards per game allowed in their 4 non-con games.

Re: State gave up 396 yards per game in conference play.

Dec 4, 2015, 10:23 AM

Wow. That's almost a 200 yard difference on average. Crazy stat.

Dec 4, 2015, 9:10 AM

not only is Duke the best offensive team they have faced....they are one dimensional. Sirk is not an accurate passer and cannot throw down field. Most of Duke's offense comes off of him running and ZR.

Dec 4, 2015, 9:14 AM

Good point.

Dec 4, 2015, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Re: UNC offense & defense ]

Bingo. Hit the hammer on the head. 95% of their big plays in the run and pass have come off the zone read, especially the run with Hood and Williams. They are very very adamant about establishing the run between the tackles with Hood and use Logan and Williams prodomently outside reads/runs. Our interior DL will be huge this week. I would still use Goodson as our spy on Williams because he's the only LB fast enough to keep up with him. I'd stick to our stacking the box with 7-8 defenders and playing man/press on the outsides. I think it could be successful.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Dec 4, 2015, 10:47 AM

Good stuff, man. Williams has been successful running the ball but he's not all that fast. I'm hoping our team speed will be able to keep him from gaining much on the ground. But you're right, our LB's aren't the fastest. May have to play some nickel. I feel like Dorian should play some. He's one our fastest LB's and has looked good when he's been out there.

Dec 4, 2015, 9:16 AM

clemson by 17 mark it down

Dec 4, 2015, 9:17 AM

Heck yeah, man! Spot the ball!

good breakdown

Dec 4, 2015, 10:03 AM

I could intuit all this you said as I watched the season. Summed up: they really didn't play anyone. They foot-stomped all the hapless teams, which is what you're supposed to do. They're good, but not "Clemson good." They're not as balanced with the great defense and offense, like us and Iowa. It's a team game, both sides of the ball. We're not 12-0 for nothing, folks. Results should bear out Sat night!

Re: good breakdown

Dec 4, 2015, 10:07 AM

Thanks, man. And I agree. I'm just ready for the game to be here. I live in NC (I actually work at NC State) and all this UNC talk has me nervous.

If you look at conference only statistics, Clemson is #1

Dec 4, 2015, 10:16 AM

in both total offense and total defense. UNC is 2nd and 11th.

Re: If you look at conference only statistics, Clemson is #1

Dec 4, 2015, 10:21 AM

Wow, did not know that. Good info. That goes right along with all the other stats I posted.

Dude haven't you been watching ESPN?

Dec 4, 2015, 10:24 AM

None of that matters, we are going to lose and UNC will be in the playoffs

I think my Tigers will win, but, have to point out that

Dec 4, 2015, 10:31 AM

UNCheat scored 35 on OUR #1 ranked defense last year. I actually think we are better overall on defense this year, with more experience on the back end, but UNC is better on offense as well. UNC will have to try and pass the ball mostly to beat us, so this is to our advantage.

They had several "chunk" plays last year, which has also been a problem for us this year, so we have to be very disciplined and maintain the elusive "gap integrity" to prevent this.

Those are the negatives. The positives (huge advantage to us, I think) are on offense. We just have too many weapons, their defense will not be able to shut us down enough to keep us from scoring 40+ again.

Good Guys 42 - Tarholes 27.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think my Tigers will win, but, have to point out that

Dec 4, 2015, 10:54 AM

Yeah, you have some very valid points, which is why I'm nervous. We'll have to be really focused this week.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,788
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic