Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
UGa fans' perception of Grantham
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,039

UGa fans' perception of Grantham

Aug 25, 2014, 3:41 PM

I'm beginning to think that Todd Grantham was a little bit unfairly scapegoated by the UGa fans, just judging by their skewed perspectives on his defenses and by how much better they think they'll be with Pruitt.

For instance, one of the UGa fans that posts here and is pretty reasonable insisted that their defense was "terrible" in 2012. However, that perception seems to be almost entirely colored by a few games, because they actually finished 32nd overall (too low for a team that talented) but were in the top 15-20 in a number of defensive categories.

See here- http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15691411

They were top 5 in defense the year before.

Yes, they took a step back last year, but they were largely hurt by misses in recruiting along the DL and by suspensions/ injuries in the secondary.

Maybe Pruitt turns things back in the right direction for them, but I think there's a good argument to be made that UGa's problems came more from personnel than from coaching.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UGa fans' perception of Grantham

Aug 25, 2014, 4:58 PM

Grantham was not the scape goat! First of all he couldn't get the defense lined up before the snap. In the LSU game even the announcers noticed this on back to back plays! He couldn't get the defense off the field on third down, that's the reason alot of Georgia fans call him third and Grantham. When he left for Louisville the defensive players cheered and Richt said he has never seen that in all of his coaching career were players cheered after a coach left! But I will say that the secondary play last year wasn't his fault! Coach Lakatos was having health problems last year and the only ones that knew was the team until it got out about his health I think after the Kentucky game!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2014, 5:08 PM

^^^ He wasn't 'Lakatos' intolerant was he?

Ok - bad joke.

Anyway - HC's tend to eliminate DC's or OC's to direct the attention for the team's failures away from themselves. Are you sure Richt wasn't feeling the heat?

Remember Tommy Tuberville? He fired BOTH I think - but he still could not hang on once everyone realized that his OC and DC weren't all that bad.

I'm guessing Richt is on the 'warm seat', and if CLEMSON hammers the Dawgs in their own stadium, he might have to pack his bags.

I would guess that Grantham was indeed the 'scape goat' and it will be revealed in time.

JMO

Aug 25, 2014, 5:19 PM

How is it Richt fault for Grantham not getting the defense off the field? Here is another not fun fact about Grantham when he was here-he couldn't stop the run,any team that had a decent running game he made look great!! Louisville in their spring game gave up 50 something points on defense!!

Not true- look at last year's LSU game

Aug 25, 2014, 5:21 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15692462

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Think it was more about injuries and recruiting misses

Aug 25, 2014, 5:20 PM [ in reply to Re: UGa fans' perception of Grantham ]

Less about coaching.

UGa did very well against LSU's rushing attack last year

Aug 25, 2014, 5:19 PM [ in reply to Re: UGa fans' perception of Grantham ]

Not so much against them through the air.

Re: UGa did very well against LSU's rushing attack last year

Aug 25, 2014, 5:22 PM

You're picking out one game, for the most part he couldn't stop the run.

Don't know how much better the 'D' will be, but...

Aug 25, 2014, 5:19 PM

...we did give up an average of 29 pts per game...and if you take out N. Texas (21) and App. St (6) we gave up an average of 31.8 pts per game...which includes 41 pts in back-to-back home games (LSU & Mizzo). We had to have 5 TD's just to be on an even playing field at that point. That's tough for any O.

Who knows if the D will be better, but after watching the end of the AU game, and the 99-yrd TD on 3rd and long against NE, well, folks weren't sad to see him leave.

Hope we'll have a good game.

Go Dawgs!!

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,039
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic