Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
UGA's recruiting haul has unfortunately overshadowed Clem's
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

UGA's recruiting haul has unfortunately overshadowed Clem's

Dec 21, 2017, 7:33 AM

in the national media. IMO, getting 4 players in the top 10 or 12 (depending on what recruiting service you look at) is just as impressive as getting 7 of the top 30. None of the national media though seems to want to talk about that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UGA's recruiting haul has unfortunately overshadowed Clem's

Dec 21, 2017, 7:38 AM

That's fine n dandy.

Let them focus on the "Big Traditional Programs"

We'll just keep chalking up the wins and Championships.

Dec 21, 2017, 9:01 AM

I don't consider Georgia a " Big Traditional " program . Heyall , they have fewer National Championships than we do , fewer conference championships than we do ... and up until this year they have been underperforming throughout the 2000s and 2010s .
I don't wanna get RA'd for a list , but BAMA,TEXAS,USC,MICH,ND,OU,FSU and OSU would be my only schools in that category .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I agree completely - what makes them a "traditional national

Dec 21, 2017, 9:05 AM

program? It's mainly because they're in the SEC and, of course, ESPN is going to play them up because of that.

They've been a bigger brand than us for quite some time

Dec 21, 2017, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Re: UGA's recruiting haul has unfortunately overshadowed Clem's ]

In comparison to Clemson they were basically our equal throughout the 80s, and better in the 90s and 2000s. We've only surpassed them recently.

I've always viewed them as a 2nd tier program and not a blue blood (blue blood is tier 1). I feel like they are on the same tier as Auburn, but Auburn has obviously had more national success. I think Clemson is a 2nd tier program now, but we weren't even that for 20+ years.

Dec 21, 2017, 9:53 AM [ in reply to Re: UGA's recruiting haul has unfortunately overshadowed Clem's ]

I would say UGA is a big SOUTHERN program. They have a storied history of just being around as an institution. Kind of like Walmart. Nothing really special, they are just really big and really old and not a lot of accomplishments besides that.

Dec 21, 2017, 3:10 PM

Doggone it, I like the sounds of that, Walmart! That's a perfect way to describe the mutts.

Dec 21, 2017, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Re: UGA's recruiting haul has unfortunately overshadowed Clem's ]

Doggone it, I like the sounds of that, Walmart! That's a perfect way to describe the mutts.

media attention, recruiting rankings. A clemson man craves not these things***

Dec 21, 2017, 7:38 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Dec 21, 2017, 7:41 AM

Who cares?

Go back and look how many times Georgia, Florida State, Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, Texas A&M, Texas, etc have beat Clemson in the last 10 years in recruiting rankings. There is more to it than the media's bias. Let them continue to underestimate Clemson.

Unfortunately for UGA their "recruiting titles" never seem

Dec 21, 2017, 7:47 AM

...to amount to much. For their sake here's hoping that this class turns out better than the rest of them.

On paper UGA is just as talented as Clemson...but Clemson IS better. Why is that?

1) EVALUATIONS (nobody is better at it than Dabo and co....sorry Pawel Finebaum!)

2) PLAYER DEVVELOPMENT (same as above)

3) COACHING (Clemson has the best coaching staff in the country)

I hope Clemson gets the opportunity to stomp UGA into the dirt in front of a national television audience in a few weeks. UGA fans think they're "on par" with the big-boys...time for a wake-up call.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unfortunately for UGA their "recruiting titles" never seem

Dec 21, 2017, 7:52 AM

Fictional recruiting championships are not NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!
Go Tigers!!

Dec 21, 2017, 7:54 AM

I actually think we've gotten a ton of glowing coverage nationally (ESPN, SI, CBSsports, 247) for what happened yesterday.

I get the whole 'Clemson never gets respect' thing (it used to be completely accurate), but I just don't think it is very true anymore. In alot of ways we're the talk of college football, and have been since the 2015 season.

Why do you care? So what.

Dec 21, 2017, 7:56 AM

You need their approval to appreciate our great class?

If you really want to feed your paranoia

Dec 21, 2017, 8:00 AM

Go to the State rag. Hilarious!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2017, 8:02 AM

UGA's recruiting has pretty much overshadowed everybody. But, that is more of a Gamecock problem than a Clemson problem. We won't face them on any regular basis unless they make the playoffs.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UGA is cycling in***

Dec 21, 2017, 8:07 AM

^^^yep^^^***

Dec 21, 2017, 5:30 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2017, 8:11 AM

Georgia has had great recruiting classes in the past. How many championships do they have to show for that?

We don’t even have to talk about national championships. How many times have they even won their conference recently with all those great classes?

Dec 21, 2017, 8:37 AM

You guys are underestimating Kirby Smart.

UGA has never in their history recruited like this.

Ever.

Sabans defenses are not as good as they were under smart and Bama’s recruiting is going down post smart. IF he can really lock down Georgia recruits they are gonna be hell on wheels. Have you seen the start they are off to for the 19 class? They already have 3 5 stars hard committed. Mark Richt is gone and I don’t people realize it yet.

Dec 21, 2017, 8:46 AM

Yall have a really good class. To have the limited numbers you do you sure made up for it w/ quality. I also have to say KJ Henrys commitment was probably one of the nicest things I have ever seen. You got a first class kid there.

Dec 21, 2017, 9:10 AM

Need more of these types of visitors ^

+ 1 good sir .
Congratulations on your class as well , very impressive .

DB23

Dec 21, 2017, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Re: UGA's recruiting haul has unfortunately overshadowed Clem's ]

The amount of guys they had drafted during the Richt era says otherwise

I agree. UGA is already Bama Lite.***

Dec 21, 2017, 5:40 PM [ in reply to Re: UGA's recruiting haul has unfortunately overshadowed Clem's ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mark Richt is no longer their coach.

Dec 21, 2017, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: UGA's recruiting haul has unfortunately overshadowed Clem's ]

What does their past have to do with a different coach and different players?

Re: Mark Richt is no longer their coach.

Dec 21, 2017, 8:48 AM

nothing but it is what everyone always says. UGA is making legit progress but like Dabo, Kirby wont get any credit outside his fan base until he wins consistently.

Dec 21, 2017, 8:49 AM

Kirby did learn a lot from Saban (cough $$$ cough)

Dec 21, 2017, 9:04 AM

Its funny that folks immediately throw out the $$$. Im sure UGA is doing what everyone else is doing (including Clemson) nothing more.Nothing Less.

You're just now noticing E-SPiN?***

Dec 21, 2017, 8:56 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2017, 9:06 AM

Georgia's recruiting class was impressive and should be talked about. At the same time after 11:05 yesterday, you couldn't have knocked the smile off my face with a sledgehammer. Carmen filled what I think was our biggest need and the day just got better from there. I think this is Dabo's best class and the ones that we have had in the past have gotten us to 3 straight Playoff's. We still have a great shot at adding Ross and/or Radley-Hines to the list this year. Regardless of what Georgia does, I believe Dabo. "The best is yet to come."

Dec 21, 2017, 9:18 AM

Carmen (sp?) is a straight up stud. Will he red shirt or get immediate time in the rotation. As I remember you have 3-4 studs that shirted this year?

IMO K J Henry’s announcement overshadowed UGA yesterday.***

Dec 21, 2017, 9:15 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4 of top 10 and 3 #1's at their position

Dec 21, 2017, 9:22 AM

that's all that needs to be said

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Dec 21, 2017, 9:36 AM

I disagree with you because UGA should be getting top recruits because of their long history of winning. Sure we have 2 National Championship’s to their 1 in 1980. But we have really just come on strong in the last 15 years. I know many will say Tommy Bowden had no hand in Clemson’s current success, but I will have to disagree with that too.

Tommy did not have the financial resources that Dabo has been fortunate have. But IMO Dabo has those resources because of TB. I am not saying Tommy could have been a better HC with equal resources but he would have been more successful than he was. Dabo is unique and he has great vision for the future. We could have hired many of the names of names people threw out for the next HC but without the outset changes I don’t believe we would have changed very much.

TB also recognized Great Coaching and Recruiting talent when he hired Brad Scott and Dabo Sweeney as well as a couple of others. But lacking the financial resources to hire much better coaches like BV and Chad Morris, I think he did the best he could with what he had to work with. TB also helped bring Clemson out of the dark years where there is plenty of blame to go around, fans included.

What Tommy did was start a culture change and lay down a solid foundation leaving the next HC with the ability to move forward. When he left he recommended Dabo to replace him as the HC. I think he saw in Dabo greatness, energy, confidence, and a HC who could and has taken Clemson to greatness.

Without the hire of TB IMO we would be on our 3rd HC looking for our 4th. Tommy forced the administration’s hand by making them realize it was necessary to invest more money into the football program of they wanted the results expected while TB was at Clemson. Dabo with Big Dreams and now more money to work with has lead us to Elite status. If we had just parted ways with TB, hired another Big name HC I believe Clemson would be having those 8 and 9 win seasons with an occasional ACC title. But with the administration onboard and more money to work with Clemson could now compete with Bama, FSU, LSU ,OSU, Texas, Auburn and school s like Penn State that were willing to put $$$$ into their football programs.

I myself am grateful for Tommy Bowden’s time at Clemson. Besides DF and Dabo I think he did a lot of good things for Clemson University and helped change Clemson for the better. Many fans are not willing to give him his due for the success he had at Clemson with his hands tied. He was as still is a great Ambassador for Clemson. Once a Tiger always a Tiger!

Instead of fans throwing him under the bus they should appreciate what he accomplished with the resources at his disposal. And because of TB we now have Dabo and Co. Coaches who are well paid and have earned what they are paid. We now have multi year contracts for assistant coaches instead of year to year contracts. We don’t have many coaches leave where as before many Clemson assistant coaches could go elsewhere and make much more money. And now we have some of if not the best football facilities in college football. We have new building projects going on that benefit not only student athletes but the general student population. Some of the ideas were TB’s, but I give Dabo the credit for getting things done.

Clemson is on the National Map now instead of the SE regional map because of coaches like DF, TB and Dabo. Everybody now know’s where Clemson University is. We represent the best of the ACC and we have set new standards at Clemson by which many other program are trying to emulate.

I am so proud to be a part of Tiger Nation and so proud that one of my kids is a 2015 Graduate, IPTAY member and crazy about Clemson. She truly bleeds Orange.

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2017, 2:54 PM

I agree. The fight for facilities started with Coach Ford, which cost him his job when he tried to go around the admin. TB didn’t have the backing of anyone in our administration. He fought like hell to get our practice facilities, better meal plans for the players etc but they would let loose of the money. Dabo came in at the perfect time. He had an idea or dream of what could be, much of which they had heard from TB, and they all joined as one to rebuild our football program. We are lucky to have BOT, President Clements, AD Radchovich (sp) all on board and actually participating in recruiting

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Dec 21, 2017, 3:26 PM [ in reply to Re: UGA's recruiting haul has unfortunately overshadowed Clem's ]

I appreciate your thoughtful comments on Coach Bowden. Always best to be mindful of the contributions of those who came before as well as those playing an important part in the background. What would we do without the practice squad!

Dec 21, 2017, 9:50 AM

I guess they care a lot about star counts at schools that can't attract decent walk-ons. :)

Dec 21, 2017, 10:17 AM

Dabo and Co can take walk-ons and turn them into to multi star rated talent. I don’t think even the great (overrated) Saban could make this claim.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2017, 10:25 AM

You are first person I have seen say Saban is overrated.

Dude has 5 national titles and what is even more impressive is he has done this at 2 different schools. How hard is that? It’s only been done twice in history. Saban is the greatest college football coach in history imo.

Dec 21, 2017, 1:11 PM

Would Saban have 5 NC’s at any other schools but Bama or LSU??? He has had the good fortune of being at 2 of the best programs in CF.

Then I look at what Dabo has accomplished at Clemson. So yes I think he is overrated. Do you think Saban could duplicate what Dabo has accomplished???

Dec 21, 2017, 1:14 PM

You need to do your homework. LSU and Bama were both dumpsters before Saban got there.

Yes. He could duplicate what Dabo did because he is a better coach.

Dec 21, 2017, 1:23 PM

Alabama and LSU easy to recruit at those schools

Dec 21, 2017, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Re: UGA's recruiting haul has unfortunately overshadowed Clem's ]

First Dinardo left LSU with a lot of young talent so I would not call 2 down years a dumpster fire. And Saban had several 8 win seasons at LSU by those standards TB should be placed up there with Saban. At Alabama Saban did not immediately set the world on Fire. In 2010 he lost to SC.

Saban has been fortunate to go to programs with a lot of successful history. Alabama is the easiest school to reset its football program.

And you have to include his dumpster fire he left for the Maimi Dolphins to deal with.

I have to disagree with you 123. Saban could not have duplicated what Dabo has at done at Clemson. By saying he could is like throwing you drink in Dabo’s Face. I am not sure DF could have accomplished everything that Dabo has during his time as Clemson’s HC.

Now SC is a dumpster fire even at 8-4!

I like to fly under the radar...results on the field!***

Dec 21, 2017, 1:15 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2017, 1:19 PM

Fortunately their utilization quotient
Is non-dynamic as it relates to their star index divided by their wins per season.
Go Tigers!!

Smoke, meet mirrors.

Dec 21, 2017, 2:05 PM

UGA is hardly a flash in the pan let alone an elite team. Have recruited well for years upon years, but just can't get the coaching IQ to make it happen. I honestly think Kirby will end up worse than Richt.

Re: Smoke, meet mirrors.

Dec 21, 2017, 5:13 PM

> UGA is hardly a flash in the pan let alone an elite
> team. Have recruited well for years upon years, but
> just can't get the coaching IQ to make it happen. I
> honestly think Kirby will end up worse than Richt.

He could be but maybe not..looking good so far.

Re: Smoke, meet mirrors.

Dec 21, 2017, 5:28 PM

Richt pretty much had an identical record after his second season at UGA, not saying that Kirby will be better or worse than Richt, but time will tell. Heck even Muschamp looked like a good HC after his 2nd season at UF, and signed a top 3 class.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic