Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Two Serious Questions
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Two Serious Questions

Aug 17, 2016, 12:50 PM

1. Does anyone have the inside scoop on whether or not our defense is solid this year. I believe that our defense is good, but starting to have some doubts and concerns.

2. If Trevor Lawrence commits to Clemson and enrolls what does that do for our QB spot? I hear that kid is a beast... I hope he picks Clemson. However, that leads me to my next question. Why do we recruit so many QB's?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Re: Two Serious Questions

Aug 17, 2016, 1:19 PM

1. No legitimate inside scoop here. We will have legitimate struggles (probably mainly blown assignments in the defensive backfield and at DE) but we will be solid. Can't take too many more injuries at key spots though.

2. Our coaches have a target number of scholarships at each position and we are following that plan at QB. I think the change is a change in perception. Think back to our QB recruiting over the years. We might be in with a 4* or 5* once every 2-3 years until we landed #4. We would fill our QB spots with guys that were not national recruits. Since Deshaun burst on the scene, it seems every one of our QB's have extremely impressive offer sheets and are 4* at minimum. If we sign Lawrence he joins a roster with several QB's he may or may not be able to beat out. We are talented enough with Bryant, Cooper, Johnson, and Brice, that he would potentially have to wait his turn a bit. Now, is he a dynamite prospect? Absolutely. Johnson's potential is very high, as is Cooper's. Kelly Bryant could legitimately have a Cam Newton presence of it clicks for him. Not knocking Brice, but I think those three have a more robust skill set that, of they put it all together, could make it near impossible to be unseated. I doubt all three will exceed expectations, but they have the potential. That being said, Lawrence is the most impressive QB prospect I have scene in a while. He's gonna make his mark somewhere barring an injury.

Aug 17, 2016, 1:21 PM

I dont have an inside scoop but I have no doubt that our defense will be solid. First off think about who they are playing against in practice every day because lets face it, our offense will be sick this year. When they take the field against someone other than Deshaun Watson they may find it a little easier to deal with. We do have some inexperience of course but they are in shape, coached very well, and will get the job done under coach BV.

If Trevor Lawrence comes to Clemson it will only add to our already outstanding depth. It is a very good problem to have so keep your fingers crossed on that one. A couple of years ago maryland lost 5 yes count them 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 quarterbacks to injury and had to use a linebacker at quarterback. So not just depth but quality depth is very important at the position of quarterback. I hope that helped.

Thanks for the input Go Tigers!***

Aug 17, 2016, 1:35 PM

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller

One Serious answer

Aug 17, 2016, 2:00 PM

No one blipin in knows... even the coaches who get paid to worry about these things don't know.

Why do you continue to recruit high caliber players? Really? Why wouldn't you want highly talented backups.....at all positions?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Aug 17, 2016, 3:55 PM

Tajh tweeted out the other day after watching practice that the D looks solid and to not worry, they will be better than expected...saw a few similar tweets after some alum attended practice.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2016, 2:30 AM

> Tajh tweeted out the other day after watching
> practice that the D looks solid and to not worry,
> they will be better than expected...saw a few similar
> tweets after some alum attended practice.

The exact answer I was looking for. I mean, Ben Boulware did say in an interview that the defense seems a little off because of the massive replacement of players at key positions. He also said that they looked about the same last season in Fall Camp. He ended the interview by saying that he is honored to practice against the best offense in the nation and that any other offense that steps on the field will be destroyed basically.

~Chesty Puller

Just my .02 cents. I think the d will be fine, but will take

Aug 17, 2016, 3:58 PM

a few games for the secondary and DE's to come together. As far as recruiting so many qb's. I don't think the staff ever gets caught in another situation to when we just had Stoudt and Watson coming off an injury.

Aug 17, 2016, 4:05 PM

1) Yes

2) Is that really a serious question.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Okay Okay, some clarity on the recruiting question

Aug 18, 2016, 2:37 AM

What I mean by that is this. If you have 3 solid Quarter Backs that can lead the Clemson offense to victory and each has at least two years of eligibility on their contract why recruit another QB that cycle. I mean, we have Bryant, Israel, and Cooper all returning next season. We also have WR, TE, RB, and Oline players that are studs coming back in for the foreseeable future with a bevy of them lined up for years to come. Why not recruit at QB when you need to instead of wasting 3 Schollys on 3 guys that will just sit the bench anyway.

~Chesty Puller

You always want a minimum of 4 QBs and it looks like

Aug 18, 2016, 4:50 AM

this staff wants 5.

How quickly we forget 2014. If you only have 3 and one gets knocked out for the season that leaves you with 2. Another gets a concussion and is knocked out for a game and that leaves 1. He has to sit a play or 2 for whatever that happens most every game and your scout team qb is in.

Ohio St won the NC with their third team QB, you need great QBs in line.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic