Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Issue with a "See the Stripes" demand
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Issue with a "See the Stripes" demand

Jan 16, 2015, 2:19 PM

So, this group is demanding (among other things):
"Additionally, we want a public commitment from the Clemson University Administration to prosecute criminally predatory behaviors and defamatory speech committed by members of the Clemson University community (including, but not limited to, those facilitated by usage of social media)."

Clemson is a public university. Besides the fact that a university has no authority to "prosecute criminally," it should be an environment where free speech is fostered. Obviously there are social consequences to a persons statements and actions, but for a university to take an active role in limiting speech would not only (likely) violate the Constitution but would take away a large part of what a university is all about. If you're not faced with views you disagree with (or are offended by) during college you will not be prepared for the real world or know how to think critically of opposing viewpoints.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Try telling them they have no authority to prosecute

Jan 16, 2015, 2:21 PM

They've got their own little kangaroo court system in place.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Try telling them they have no authority to prosecute

Jan 16, 2015, 2:30 PM

Well, my main point was it's dangerous for a university to begin restricting free speech. If a member of "See the Stripes" has actually been defamed they can bring an individual civil suit.

Obviously Clemson can imposed sanctions on violations of university policy. I don't know what kind of due process there is in those cases, but if I had been charged with a crime when I was at Clemson I would definitely bring a lawyer to those hearings.

Unfortunately, I think the free speech ship has all but

Jan 16, 2015, 2:49 PM

sailed in this country. We're obsessed with political correction, and nobody has the balls to stand up to these ludicrous movements, so they perpetuate.

I don't think Clemson will cave this go-around, but I don't think we're too far away from these little twerps getting their way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These people need to be punched in the jejunum.

Jan 16, 2015, 2:24 PM

Not because they're making stupid demands, but because I'm angry today.

I am, however, willing to at least listen to their demands if they can reunite the Black Crowes.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Am I the only one who things that eventually somebody is

Jan 16, 2015, 2:24 PM

going to snap, think it is 1935 again and kill some of these kids?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The problem with these type of people is simple

Jan 16, 2015, 3:12 PM

They believe in free speech so long as it agrees with their personal viewpoint. If you disagree, then you are divisive and should not be allowed to speak. These "freedom fighters" more closely resemble disciples of communism than of our constitutional republic. #### 'em.

Communism is great...if you are in charge.***

Jan 16, 2015, 3:14 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What are your thoughts on Duke and the Muslim prayer?***

Jan 16, 2015, 3:21 PM [ in reply to The problem with these type of people is simple ]

Haven't seen that story, link?***

Jan 16, 2015, 3:22 PM

Re: Haven't seen that story, link?***

Jan 16, 2015, 3:23 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/15/us/duke-call-to-prayer/index.html

Here's the thing

Jan 16, 2015, 3:38 PM

If you allow one religious group to do something, you have to allow them all. Universities should treat all religious groups equally. Would they also allow a Christian group to do the same? Or Buddhists, Hindus? What about the Atheists? Do they get to denounce religion from the bell tower? Maybe it wasn't a great idea after all, as you open a huge can of worms.

That being said, I understand where the anti-Muslim sentiment comes from. Sure, thee majority of Muslims are non-violent. However, there are many terrorist acts committed in the name of Islam. I think if prominent Muslim leaders would take a uniform stance against such acts the public non-Muslim public would be more accepting of their community. However, when Islam is used for terrorism and the so-called peaceful Muslims say nothing, many people see that as acceptance of terrorism.

Except for the fact that Duke is a private university

Jan 16, 2015, 3:59 PM

Founded by Methodists

but as a matter of free speech?

Jan 16, 2015, 4:00 PM [ in reply to Here's the thing ]

from snopes:

Many of those posting angry comments to Duke University's Facebook wall labored under the impression the institution was favoring Muslim traditions at the expense Christian ones. That claim is not true: Duke's Chapel calendar revealed that during the week in which the initial Muslim call to prayer was announced, a number of denominational services were scheduled. Among them were no fewer than seven Catholic masses (three on Sunday), several adult Bible Study meetings, Christian Sunday school, an event called "Godly Play" for young children, and "Midweek Prayer." A mission statement on the Duke Chapel's site explains:

Christian traditions are well represented, so you could argue that there is already an allowance being made for one religious group, so as you say, "universities should treat all religious groups equally." The move was also largely symbolic, as explained here:

"Duke University Chapel in Durham Christy Lorr Sapp explained the move was aimed at promoting inclusion on campus in light of an increased level of hostility toward Muslims"

Orr goes on to explain,

Yet, at Duke University, the Muslim community represents a strikingly different face of Islam than is seen on the nightly news: one that is peaceful and prayerful. This face of the faith will be given more of a voice as the Duke Muslim community begins chanting the adhan, the call to prayer, from the Duke Chapel bell tower on Fridays beginning this week. It will be chanted by Muslim students prior to the jummah prayer service that takes place in the chapel basement each Friday afternoon.

This opportunity represents a larger commitment to religious pluralism that is at the heart of Duke's mission and connects the university to national trends in religious accommodation.

Perhaps, too, this small token of welcome will provide a platform for a truer voice to resonate: a voice that challenges media stereotypes of Muslims, a voice of wisdom, a voice prayer and a voice of peace.

Yet, Christians denounced the plan (this is where free speech issue comes in) and Duke officials make mention of that intolerance in their statement on stopping the initiative,

In the face of biting criticism from conservative Christian evangelist Franklin Graham, Duke University [has] dropped its plan to let Muslim students chant a weekly call to prayer from the Duke Chapel bell tower.

"Duke remains committed to fostering an inclusive, tolerant and welcoming campus for all of its students," Michael Schoenfeld, vice president for public affairs, said in a news release. "However, it was clear that what was conceived as an effort to unify was not having the intended effect."

I think this issue is a good one to gauge people's belief in free speech.

Holding religious services and blasting a call for prayer

Jan 16, 2015, 4:06 PM

from a campus bell tower for all to hear are two very different things. It would be like Perry Noble coming over the emergency loudspeakers on Clemson's campus and holding a little mini sermon once a week, which I know you would not be OK with, and neither would I.

This has nothing to do with inclusion, more-so it is rubbing islam in everyones face.

What if....and this is just a what if here....

Jan 16, 2015, 4:16 PM

Duke University issues hunting licenses and whenever they blow that Flintstones prayer whistle, you can legally bag any game that drops to its knees, assuming you affix the tag to your kill before taking it to the processor. Just to be perfectly clear, any game taken while the Flintstones prayer whistle isn't blowing is considered poaching, and is subject to a hefty fine.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They moved the call to prayer from the chapel to the quad

Jan 16, 2015, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Holding religious services and blasting a call for prayer ]

but I think it's still being broadcasted. Still a problem?

I'm sure Duke has rules limitiing noise and such

Jan 16, 2015, 4:32 PM

Provided they break no rules, I don't have a problem with it. Obviously if it can be heard in Chapel Hill they should turn it down a tad.

Same rule would apply to broadcasting it from the chapel

Jan 16, 2015, 4:50 PM

I would assume. The problem opponents (graham) have isn't with the noise or free speech, it's with Islam. They wouldn't have a problem if it was a Christian prayer. It would be a free speech problem for Christians if the Muslims were allowed to broadcast but the Christians weren't. But there's nothing I've found that says a Christian group asked but was denied.

Perhaps a dumb question, but does this bell tower have a working bell in it anymore?

Yeah I mostly agree with this

Jan 16, 2015, 4:30 PM [ in reply to Holding religious services and blasting a call for prayer ]

If they want to have services, they should be allowed just like other groups. Now Duke was founded Methodist, but I don't believe they still identify as Methodist. Private religious colleges shouldn't be forced to allow other religions to operate on their campus, as it would go against their founding principles. However, I don't think Duke fits the bill as a Methodist University anymore.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic