Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Trumpers, Explain This Stat
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 696

Trumpers, Explain This Stat

Jul 21, 2020, 10:32 PM

US has 5% of the worlds population and 23% of the worlds deaths. Yes, there is blame to go around. But conversely, Trump repeatedly says I and repeat the word I built a great economy when in fact we built a great economy. He says this over and over again. He wants to take total responsibility for the economy, which is a very complex issue including cutting taxes to increase our deficit. But he wants no responsibility for the coronavirus, blaming Fauci and others. I despise this man’s character.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m not a Trumper, but

Jul 21, 2020, 10:36 PM

Was there a question in there?

If you just want the stat explained, it’s basically saying that we have a disproportionate number of deaths as a percent of the whole globally.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And China lies.

Jul 21, 2020, 11:27 PM

And if one thinks all those deaths are really from the rona, there’s really no point.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

And we are by far the freeist nation in the world

Jul 22, 2020, 7:45 PM

thank God we are not locked down like a lot of places

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And China lies.

Jul 22, 2020, 9:51 PM [ in reply to And China lies. ]

Great story and I know Trumpers think if you repeat something enough times, it becomes true...but the opposite actually appears to be true.

COVID deaths aren't being over-reported, they're almost certainly being under-tallied.

How do we know this? This simplest way of all: cold hard math. The number of "expected deaths" is statistically way up...beyond even what COVID death totals are reporting.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2767980

Re: And China lies.

Jul 23, 2020, 8:08 AM

Excellent point Quozzel. Below is a cut and paste from the article link. The opposite would be true if claims of over reporting coronavirus was the case. Total deaths minus coronavirus deaths would be down, not up.

I know what you guys will say, fake news blah blah blah. Well if so provide another study that disputes this. Not isolated incidents like the guy in Florida who had a motorcycle wreck and they called it a coronavirus death. But a high level study like this one that comes to the opposite conclusion.

Findings In this cohort study, the number of deaths due to any cause increased by approximately 122?000 from March 1 to May 30, 2020, which is 28% higher than the reported number of COVID-19 deaths.

Re: Trumpers, Explain This Stat

Jul 21, 2020, 10:37 PM

first you have to believe that everyone is counting accurately and honestly

trump is not responsible for this virus or any other

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s exactly right.

Jul 21, 2020, 10:58 PM

First deny facts and evidence and then relinquish all accountability.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That’s exactly right.

Jul 21, 2020, 11:35 PM

Yes, having the most tests is bad. Need to scale it back.

Re: That’s exactly right.

Jul 22, 2020, 9:38 AM [ in reply to That’s exactly right. ]

whale, WHO said that it was not contagious, you want him to deny the experts?

False.

Jul 22, 2020, 6:54 PM

WHO stated that the Chinese authorities, as of January 2020, had found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Jul 21, 2020, 10:49 PM

Ummmmmm, did you factor in that the U.S. has 25% of the confirmed cases worldwide? Maf is harddd.

What is more amazing is that 5% of the world’s population polices the entire planet, runs the world economy, largest contributor to the UN, WHO, etc. The ONLY country to stand up to China and Russia.

It’s simply amazing the positive impact of this country on the world, and the result is daily complaining from people outside and inside of it.

That’s a good point.

Jul 21, 2020, 11:02 PM

OP actually understated how bad the stats are.

Jul 21, 2020, 11:04 PM

How accurate is the reporting from the UK, Belgium, Spain,

Jul 21, 2020, 11:15 PM

Italy, France, and Chile?

idk but I'd trust it before China and Russia

Jul 21, 2020, 11:36 PM

You can cherry pick any data you want to make a point....

Jul 21, 2020, 11:18 PM

But Americans being unhealthy and overweight play a huge part in our numbers. But don’t say anything about that, don’t want anyone weight shamed.

Jul 21, 2020, 11:41 PM

https://youtu.be/YKjPI6no5ng

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol, he literally just said on tv that covid is

Jul 22, 2020, 6:41 AM

ultimately his responsibility.

So what was your point again?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lol, he literally just said on tv that covid is

Jul 22, 2020, 6:53 AM

Yes he was very different last night. I didn’t see clips of it until this morning. It’s obvious he’s finally woken up and realized he’s going to lose this election if he doesn’t start doing a better job handling coronavirus. He was completely different last night. My comment was based off his actions before last night and our death rate.

So Keowee Indian, you think the reason there’s so many deaths in the US is because of all the tests? That makes zero sense. That’s like saying a woman can’t have a child unless she gets a pregnancy test. Think about it man.

We could go on and on about the death numbers, like

Jul 22, 2020, 7:27 AM

First, China is lying their ### off and probably other countries too

We are reporting car wrecks as covid deaths.

But it'd be fruitless with you so I don't want to waste my time

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not a Trumper, but that stat is meaningless....

Jul 22, 2020, 7:07 AM

the US is the world economic leader. I don't have the stats handy, but I would wager that travel to and from China and Europe (initial infection areas) was/is higher than any other country per capita. That, coupled with a decentralized government (at least as far as this is concerned) with limited powers to restrict movement and travel, explains a lot in my opinion.

With that said, the federal response to COVID has been poor and a lot of that is directly on Trump. Another POTUS with a different demeanor would have been much more effective in pulling the country together and getting the states to act more in unison.

Jul 22, 2020, 9:21 AM

Agree with Trump and the "I" thing. It is annoying.

On deaths, you can probably legitimately reduce deaths by 25%, maybe more. As we know, if you die and have COVID, your death is a COVID stat no matter how you died.

Even if you reduce deaths by 25%, the %s are still offset quite a bit.

I agree with the basic rationale of "why" is that we are "free" and have a decentralized way to handle these things. The USA is a large expanse of land with many busy/large airports that go everywhere. Plus it is our first modern pandemic. The lessons from the Spanish Flu did not exist or were not learned, in contrast to some European and Asian nations who have dealt with more recent, smaller pandemics.

Jul 22, 2020, 6:27 PM

I agree with most of the comments to my initial post. As much as Trumps narcissism and dishonesty frustrates me, I actually want Trump to win. But he’s trying to have his cake and eat it too. You can’t take all the credit for the economy doing well which we all know is ridiculous, and then take none of the blame for the pandemic response. I do agree that Trump is only part of the problem with the coronavirus issue. We are an unhealthy, fat nation with a decentralized government and a Don’t tread on me, freedom based mentality. And Asia has dealt with a pandemic very recently so they were prepared much more so than we were. I was OK with Trumps response early on, but he should not have distanced himself from fighting coronavirus back in late April. Seems like he’s gotten the message though with these briefings starting back. I think that’s a smart move politically.

Replies: 23
| visibility 696
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic