Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
True "Once in a Lifetime" type players.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

True "Once in a Lifetime" type players.

May 6, 2019, 10:26 AM

With all the talk about the talent we are currently seeing on the field now, and in the coming years, I got to thinking about how many truly "Once in a Lifetime" college football players there have been. I am talking about players where there is absolutely no doubt that you are seeing something you will not see again. Given that criteria, I can only think of a very few:

Bo Jackson: There has never been that combination of size, power, and speed all in one person. A freak of nature.

Deion Sanders: Primetime was showtime in college, certainly was already a star BEFORE going to the NFL.

Herschel Walker: Straight ahead unstoppable. Just ask Bill Bates.

Doug Flutie: Superman's heart in Lois Lane's body. He makes my list just on sheer will to win. Nobody will ever forget the Hail Mary, I guarantee Bernie Kosar still hasn't forgotten it.

That's my list, pretty short. There have been lots of great players, but these stand out to me as just being on another plateau. Who is on your list?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, how you just gonna disrespect Cole Stoudt like that?

May 6, 2019, 10:34 AM

Ask Oklahoma how good he was in college, they'll tell you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

He did pretty much make a whole college career in that one

May 6, 2019, 10:36 AM

game, didn't he? :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll be honest, I thought we were sacrificing a bowl

May 6, 2019, 10:54 AM

game to get DW4 back in time for the next season, which was fine by me. Then Cole, the new co-OCs and new QB coach had themselves a day and never looked back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

The only player I can ever remember who absolutely

May 6, 2019, 11:07 AM

controlled a game single handedly was Lawrence Taylor. Granted, he had turned pro by that point, and was hyped up on cocaine, but his Super Bowl XXI against Denver was unreal. The way I remember it, every time John Elway backed up from under center he backed up into Taylor's waiting arms. He was so fast off the edge he just camped in Denver's backfield the whole game. Completely disrupted their offense for the game. I know he was good in college, but he just elevated in the pros.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is how I remember it too...

May 6, 2019, 11:21 AM

Lawrence Taylor, defensively, has had as big an impact as any player I've ever seen. He changed the way defense is played, the way pass-rushing is played, the way linebackers play and the way offenses block linebackers.
—?John Madden

Washington Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs developed the two tight end offense and the position of h-back to prevent Taylor from blitzing into the backfield unhindered."We had to try in some way have a special game plan just for Lawrence Taylor. Now you didn't do that very often in this league but I think he's one person that we learned the lesson the hard way.

Remember our homecoming game against UNC when they

May 6, 2019, 2:07 PM [ in reply to The only player I can ever remember who absolutely ]

had Julius Peppers? He single handedly whooped us that day.

Re: True "Once in a Lifetime" type players.

May 6, 2019, 11:12 AM

I don't think Flute belongs on the same list as the other 3.

I think TL has a legit shot to make the list

May 6, 2019, 11:39 AM

His arm strength alone may never be matched. At least not with accuracy and brains to go with it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 6, 2019, 11:43 AM

The saying is once in a generation player. A generation is 15-20 years

most people don't have children at 15-20 yrs old

May 6, 2019, 11:45 AM

anymore. A generation is more like 25 years now.

TL is changing all that

May 6, 2019, 11:43 AM

He will be on top of the list...all alone.

May 6, 2019, 1:53 PM

I've only seen his film but have never seen one better than Marcus Dupree

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The Best That Never Was" is one of the best 30 for 30

May 6, 2019, 2:00 PM

films I have seen. He was impressive.

May 6, 2019, 4:52 PM [ in reply to Re: True "Once in a Lifetime" type players. ]

I always thought that Charles Woodson was pretty special, especially in his Heisman year.

Ndamukong Suh in college

May 6, 2019, 4:55 PM

Was also unstoppable and controlled the games he played. He did stomp that one guy too, probably won't see that again.

May 6, 2019, 5:50 PM

I remember Sam Huff for just being plain damnd mean.That's who you wanted to be when I was a kid.

May 6, 2019, 8:12 PM

"Once in a lifetime" kinda depends on whose lifetime we're talking about. The greatest player I've seen in MY lifetime is Jim Brown.

In his day, as a collegiate ... William Perry!***

May 6, 2019, 10:01 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 6, 2019, 10:08 PM

How can you leave Morten Andersen off that list?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic