Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Trevor Lawrence
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

Trevor Lawrence

Jul 13, 2016, 7:06 AM

TW or TBry!?

What are our chances right now? Leaning 60-40 UGA? Or is he a bigger lock there than we know?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would be borderline shocked if we got him.*****

Jul 13, 2016, 7:18 AM

DEXTER Lawrence. We already got him... ;~)***

Jul 13, 2016, 7:42 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Trevor Lawrence

Jul 13, 2016, 7:45 AM

Most think he's leaning UGA because he's been visiting them often the past month.

He says he wants to visit both schools before making his mind up, which leads me to believe he's still undecided.

I think he loves Clemson coaches but
Thinks a "pro-style" offense may fit him better.

Peyton Manning ran a spread offense most of his career. Cam Newton and Marcus Marriota are products of spread offense.

We'll see...

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I hope to see more RB and less QB rushes this year... I

Jul 13, 2016, 7:59 AM

know on certain downs that may not be an option, but for the sake of preservation, I hope Tony takes it into account.... If so, that could sway Lawrence's opinion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hope to see more RB and less QB rushes this year... I

Jul 13, 2016, 8:34 AM

The QB run game is a critical part of our offense. Coaches aren't gonna change that for this one kid. If he comes to Clemson then great, but if he doesn't I think we'll be fine with the QB talent we have coming in.

I agree about the QB running... just hopefully less of it.

Jul 13, 2016, 8:40 AM

We have a stable of RBs and WRs and TEs... No need to wear out the QB when he can be the distributor. Sure, there's going to be 'must get' downs, but if there's an option, let someone else tote it. Just the threat of DW running will always be present.

What he said! ^^^^^^^^ +1 for you***

Jul 14, 2016, 7:34 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good OCs adjust to their talent, and Elliot and Scott would

Jul 13, 2016, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope to see more RB and less QB rushes this year... I ]

adjust. We already saw them do it once with Cole against OU.

Agreed. Look at Stoudt the first time we whooped OU

Jul 13, 2016, 7:16 PM

Lol

I personally think he prefers Clemson

Jul 13, 2016, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Trevor Lawrence ]

The the QB running game @ Clemson has him thinking about it.He doesn't want to run as much as DW4.

We have everything needed to show him this year.

Jul 13, 2016, 11:06 AM

And I believe it will come down to the big uglies when it is all said and done.

Then their is the "momma factor" as well.

I like our chances, despite our current depth chart @ QB.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We have everything needed to show him this year.

Jul 13, 2016, 11:09 AM

We need Trey Smith here!!!

Just sayin'

Jul 13, 2016, 8:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Trevor Lawrence ]

Good analysis. I hear UGA is really pushing the "pro-style" offense sell a lot.....we still have some work to do, IMO to land him.

I'm also hearing UGA is doing whatever they can to try and keep him away from the cookout, which means they're nervous.

This one is going down to the wire.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Jul 13, 2016, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Trevor Lawrence ]

In an interview with The Clemson Insider on 6/16/16, Trevor's Dad said that Clemson runs the same offense as Clemson and that familiarity means a lot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2016, 8:55 AM

The only thing I can guarantee you for sure is that Tennessee Volunteer fans are gonna cry, whine and make up irrational reasons as to why they did not land Trevor Lawrence. It's what they do. Especially lately.

But regarding our chances, I'm not sure. What I can say is that prior to The Opening there was some film of him tossing the ball around while sporting a UGA shirt. Take it for what it is but had that been a Clemson shirt then perhaps I'd feel more confident in our odds of landing him. He's one of the more advanced QBs to come out of high school recently. You'll get a kick out of this but Scout.com did a mock 2021 draft just for kicks and they had Trevor going #1 overall to the Jets. A few other Tiger prospects and commits are on their list as well (link below). Anyhow, here's a brief timeline, some notes and quotes-

Article from July 11th, 2016: “They (Clemson) have some good receivers coming in there, they always recruit well at that position,” Lawrence told Mansell, “but Georgia is also recruiting good, they both are going to have players where ever I decide to go.”

Georgia is also an hour closer to Lawrence than Clemson, and also in the state of Georgia.
“Just it is in-state, they want me and they need me, they feel like I can help build the 2018 class around me hopefully, because they are loading up in 2017,” Lawrence said of Georgia. “They are hoping if they get me that will help more in the 2018 class.”

From Sunday June 13th, 2016: “I think I am getting closer to a decision, I go to Clemson next week and then there is the dead period, so I will have time to think more then and we will see after that,” Lawrence said. When asked if Lawrence had a leader he replied “no sir.” Rusty Mansell 247sport.com

Camped in Clemson in June of 2016. All indications are that he had a great stay and spent plenty of time with Dabo and coach Streeter.

Visited UGA Camp in June of 2016 and had this to say, "A lot of them are from Georgia, so they stayed home and played for their state — that is one big thing that is big to me too."

Lawrence recently spoke to Scout.com on 6/13/16 and had the following to regarding UGA, "I can [see myself there] — Jacob Eason will probably secure his spot in the next year or something like that, so he will be there, but I want to compete with him from day one. I will probably early enroll wherever I go, so if it is Georgia I would be going in to compete on day one."

May 14th, 2016- Unofficially visited UGA

May 5th, 2016- Jim Chaney (UGA) visited him, marking his second visit; the other was on April 15th.

3/26/16- Unofficially visited Tennessee.

3/13/16: Named Top Underclassman at the Atlanta MVP Camp.

3/5/16- Unofficially visited Clemson for Junior Day. "Good visit," Lawrence said. "A lot of stuff academic wise, saw all the facilities again and had some good talks with the coaches." He was very impressed with Clemson's coaching staff. "Coach Streeter and really just the whole staff, they are awesome."

2/22/16- “Clemson actually has two 2017 (quarterbacks) now in Chase (Brice) and (Hunter Johnson) who had been committed to Tennessee that flipped,” Lawrence said. “They are both pretty good. I think that’s what brought Clemson down to number three from a number one like I would say they were a couple of months ago.”

2/20/16- Unofficially visited UGA.

1/15/16- Visited by UGA's Kirby Smart.

1/14/16- Visited by Clemson's Brandon Streeter

1/10/16- “I’m not really clear who my leader is right now, but I’d say Clemson if anything,” Lawrence told SEC Country.

10/10/15- Attended the UGA @ Tennessee game.

10/3/15- Attended the Clemson vs. ND game.

9/12/15- Attended the Oklahoma @ Tennessee game.

1/29/15- Offered by Clemson

Selected to play in the US Army All- American Bowl. Lawrence grew up a little over an hour away from Neyland Stadium. In 2015, he passed for 3,522 yards and 42 TDs going 222 of 341 passing. MaxPreps sophomore All-American. As a freshman, he put his name out there as he passed for 3042 yards (going 187 of 310) with 26 TDs. He also led his team to a 12-2 record. Named a Youth1.com First Team All-American. Named a MaxPreps.com 1st Team All-American. Attended CDS Camp in 2015 and received an offer. He also holds offers from Tenn, Cal, Cincy, UGA, LSU, and others. "I can't remember a freshman quarterback who could stretch the field with his arm and pass like that," said Todd Holcomb of Georgia High School Football
Daily.

http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1666537-just-for-kicks-2021-mock-draft

I'd like to get him but regardless of where he signs we are

Jul 13, 2016, 8:58 AM

loaded at qb. #qbu?

Dog lock. 100%. Silent commit. Pro style O trumps all. See Cam Newton.***

Jul 13, 2016, 9:13 AM

Cam Newton ran the spread and runs a spread in the NFL.***

Jul 13, 2016, 9:17 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

SHHHH..... MiddlyMind won't understand.***

Jul 13, 2023, 3:30 PM

Re: Cam Newton ran the spread and runs a spread in the NFL.***

Jul 13, 2016, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Cam Newton ran the spread and runs a spread in the NFL.*** ]

Find the coaches say (paraphrasing here) that they'd run the offense to his strengths if he came? I know there are also coordinator differences, but you can see a difference between when Tajh was under center and now.

Re: Cam Newton ran the spread and runs a spread in the NFL.***

Jul 13, 2016, 9:53 AM

They would run less with Lawrence. They would run less with Cooper.

Just gonna throw this out there....

Jul 13, 2016, 9:21 AM

First off, we have a "good problem" here! Two years in a row the Nations #1 QB considering Clemson!!

Now, this is just a personal observation (so don't flame me), but is this kid, all world talent aside....a Clemson fit??

Hunter Johnson - 5 star, gunslinger, poised, and a "clean cut", "faith on sleeve" young man. Dabo's kind of kid!

Trevor Lawrence - 5 star, gunslinger, poised, and a "long haired" pretty boy whose "appearance" lends to being a possible Prima Donna.

My serious question here - other than his talent, film, scouting reports, etc., has there been any mention anywhere of this young man's charecter, grades, ethics, family, etc.?

Dabo staff look at ALL OF THAT along with talent!

Prime example: Dalvin Cook, Robert Nkemdechie, etc. they were "All world" talents.....but definitely NOT Clemson material under Dabo's standards!

IF this kid chooses UGA over Clemson we will not have "missed" at all.

It is what it is!

Go Tigers!!!

So "long hair" did all that...? Wut? Wake up.***

Jul 13, 2016, 9:29 AM

Re: So "long hair" did all that...? Wut? Wake up.***

Jul 13, 2016, 9:37 AM

I'm not judging him based on "long hair".....

And for the record, (thanks for TD btw..??), I was (and still am) searching for answer to my QUESTION.

WHAT is this kids charecter???

I could care less about his hair! Will he be a Clemson fit according to what DABO and staff have established??

I'm plenty "awake" thanks!

Jul 13, 2016, 9:41 AM

Trust the coaches.

I DON'T TD. I do, however, respond. Thank someone else.***

Jul 13, 2016, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: So "long hair" did all that...? Wut? Wake up.*** ]

Jul 13, 2016, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Re: So "long hair" did all that...? Wut? Wake up.*** ]

Well, at least the kid can probably spell "character," unlike some of us...

Jul 13, 2016, 7:25 PM [ in reply to Re: So "long hair" did all that...? Wut? Wake up.*** ]

The fact that we're still recruiting him is all you need to know. How about you stop judging him because of your preconceived and totally off-based notions about his hair style.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: Just gonna throw this out there....

Jul 13, 2016, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Just gonna throw this out there.... ]

This has to be one of the dumbest posts in tnet history.

So you're saying he might be a diva and might not be a fit for Clemson because he has long hair. Ha-ha, wow! There has never been a report of this kid having character issues, so the basis for your ridiculous post is his hair?

And do you honestly think Clemson and Dabo wouldn't have taken dalvin cook and Robert Nkemdechie? They did some things after they committed to their schools, but dabo would have taken them in a heartbeat out of high school, don't kid yourself. The only reason they didn't come to Clemson is because they picked other schools.

Jul 13, 2016, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Just gonna throw this out there.... ]

Or sometimes a recruit we really, really want simply

Jul 13, 2016, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Just gonna throw this out there.... ]

commits elsewhere.

I agree Dabo does a great job of "selecting" talent that fits Clemson. However, all indications are that Dabo and staff have done their homework and believe this prospect is a fit. If he chooses to go to UGA, it's not because he didn't fit Clemson. It's because he believes UGA is better for his future.

Re: Or sometimes a recruit we really, really want simply

Jul 13, 2016, 9:55 AM

Exactly. One aspect I like is that whether he goes to Clemson or UGA, usuck gets dominated four more years from either team.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2016, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Just gonna throw this out there.... ]

lol...

Good god..

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Bottom 5 T-Net posts of all time right here***

Jul 13, 2016, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Just gonna throw this out there.... ]

Ready to feel awkward?

Jul 13, 2016, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Just gonna throw this out there.... ]

Write up from DawgNation colberttiger posted says this:
https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/nations-no-1-player-should-decide-very-soon-between-georgia-and-clemson

"He’s only made one “B” in high school (Honors Biology) and a forensics major is a possibility. "

Then there's this write up by USA Today..this is a real nice write up on him btw:
http://usatodayhss.com/2015/how-trevor-lawrence-nations-no-1-sophomore-football-recruit-survives-the-hype

"During an interview with USA TODAY High School Sports in his coach’s office, Lawrence peppered most of his responses with “Yes, sir” and “No, sir” and showed the level-headed, calm demeanor that his coaches and teammates say he displays on the field."

"Before the season, Lawrence, his coaches and father put together a game plan to deal with it all.
The first piece was limited activity on social media. Lawrence sent out a tweet before the season began that said he appreciated the attention from the media and recruiting analysts but directed all inquiries to King or his father. “For the next few months, my focus will be on academics and helping my team and myself prepare for Friday nights and winning a state championship,” the tweet said.

Sound like someone familiar? (DW4 perhaps)?

That answer you question about grades, ethics, etc?

1 B? Pffft I think DW4 had straight A's with a 4.5 GPA***

Jul 13, 2016, 10:41 AM

Look, it's like this IMO

Jul 13, 2016, 10:57 AM

I would love to land this guy. For anyone saying we don't need him/want him etc, that's just foolish. This kid miht be the next big thing. Have watched his last two years of film and I have seen nothing wrong with any aspect of his game. Simply put, if he is willing to sign and compete for the job, you take him. If others transfer because they get beat, well..they got beat out so... All that said, he is a 2018 recruit. That's two seasons before he steps on campus. If he enrolls early (likely) a year and a half. A lot of things can and will happen between now and then. If he signs with UGA, I have no problem with him, wish him well unless they play us, and hope he sets a new record against the coots. We can't take them all, but i sure hope we take him!

If you have straight A's, your GPA wouldn't be 4.5.

Jul 13, 2016, 8:05 PM [ in reply to 1 B? Pffft I think DW4 had straight A's with a 4.5 GPA*** ]

It would be either 4.0 on a 4 point scale, or 5.0 on a 5 point scale.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you have straight A's, your GPA wouldn't be 4.5.

Jul 13, 2016, 8:11 PM

Straight As is a 4.0. But you can receive more points depending on classes and extra stuffz

At my kids high school, AP and honors classes

Jul 14, 2016, 5:36 AM [ in reply to If you have straight A's, your GPA wouldn't be 4.5. ]

were out of 5 points and regular classes were out of 4 points and college classes were out of 6 points. So, straight A's would be about 4.5 because many required courses were not AP or honors.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: At my kids high school, AP and honors classes

Jul 14, 2016, 6:34 AM

Wow that's crazy. My high school was 4 points for normal classes, 4.5 for honors, AP, or college courses. Max GPA was around a 4.38-4.4

Re: Ready to feel awkward?

Jul 13, 2016, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Ready to feel awkward? ]

WONDER IF ALLIN THINKS JESUS WAS A MAN OF HIGH CHARACTER. LOL

Re: Just gonna throw this out there....***

Jul 13, 2016, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Just gonna throw this out there.... ]

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Just gonna throw this out there....***

Jul 13, 2016, 11:03 AM

I've been sufficiently scolded!

Thanks!

Good Lawd ya'll. I would take this kid in a heartbeat for Clemson. Obviously my post wasn't "popular". I get it!

Now move along with other mindless banter and let me get my chewed up #### back! ??

Go Tigers!!!

Since GWPCoot is not a round this week I had to take out my

Jul 13, 2016, 11:10 AM

frustrations on some body.

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Ok, +1 for the feeling of chastisement

Jul 13, 2016, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Just gonna throw this out there....*** ]

I can't kick a guy while he's down. Go forth and wear your orange!

Jul 13, 2016, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Just gonna throw this out there.... ]

I have no clue, but I'd assume if his personality resembled a flaming bag of crap the coaches wouldn't be pushing so hard for him.

0% unless he shows up at the Cookout

Jul 13, 2016, 10:00 AM

75% if he does.

Nice odds.... Sold.***

Jul 13, 2016, 10:01 AM

Jul 13, 2016, 12:56 PM

Trevor Lawrence preferring a pro-style offence ...

Would some experts chime in on this: My understanding is that a Pro-Style offence is less QB runs & is a more suited for a pocket passer. While a Spread Offence is (generally) more QB runs and more suited for a dual threat (run/pass) QB. Is this generally accurate? If not - educate me.

From watching TLawrence and Hunter Johnson's Ultimate Highlight clips - I see quite a few times where TL is running and throwing on the run. While HJ's film show him dropping back, stting & firing. There was maybe 1 or 2 scrambles where he runs with it.

From the (limited) file - TL does a better job on the run than HJ. I realize its a small sample but just my thoughts ...

Jul 13, 2016, 2:16 PM

Sorry, Trevor's high school offense is the same as Clemson's per his Dad.

Jul 13, 2016, 7:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Trevor Lawrence ]

Pro-Style focus more on the pocket and the run game between the tackles...most teams that pound and ground like Bama are Pro-Style extremist.

The spread focuses on spread the defense out and creating bad matchup and it also features the zone read which opens up holes for RBs and QBs...

What makes Johnson and Lawrence so special is that they are athletically gifted to run both. Such as Cam Newton and Marcus Mariotta. The pro-style is a bit of a dying breed in football. You want a perfect example of the difference? Derek Henry will be out of Tenn after about 2 seasons. He's a no doubt pro style RB in an offense that runs the modified spread.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jul 13, 2016, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the quick clarification on pro-style vs spread. I am trying to read up on the nuances of both.

Have you seen the some of the film on Lawrence & Johnson? As I mentioned earlier - even though Lawrence says he prefers a pro-style offense - it seemed like he did great scrambling & throwing on the run. Johnson's film did not show him scrambling much.

What I am getting at is that - Lawrence would do very well in Clemson's offense - maybe even better than Johnson IMHO.

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic