Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Transfer Portal & paying players set to wreck college football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Transfer Portal & paying players set to wreck college football

May 15, 2019, 1:41 PM

This transfer Portal thing is in its infancy - but will go totally viral in 2-4 years. "I don't start? Portal me." "Can't have my jersey number? Portal me." "Coach can instruct ME? Portal me."

Recruiting classes won't mean anything, because most good players will transfer in one year.

The NCAA is already rubber-stamping "immediate eligibility" for nearly every player in the "portal." OHST QB Tate Martell (headed to Miami) - immediately eligible & has 3 years left.
UGA's Justin Fields? Declared immediately eligible at OHST & has 3 years left. The NCAA isn't holding anyone back.

And now, after 1-million years, Congress is determined to force the NCAA/college football (& other sports) to compensate players; so for the 1st time ever, talks are taking place right now - & it IS going to happen. It will be an endorsement/licensing deal where players can cash in on their names & split it with their schools (logo/trademark rights, etc.).

And what if the player & his rep don't like the split? "Bye - I'm headed for the portal."

Dabo once said if it ever came to this, he would quit college coaching. He'll probably face that decision in 2-3 years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let me be the first to say...

May 15, 2019, 1:46 PM

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Transfer Portal & paying players set to wreck college football

May 15, 2019, 1:56 PM

I don't believe the Portal will wreck CFB, but paying players almost surely would. I don't want to become the Triple A farm team for some NFL team.

May 15, 2019, 2:09 PM

Until the NFL gets a legit development/minor league, that's pretty much what we already are.

May 15, 2019, 2:43 PM

Exactly. If you were Goodell and had an existing system in place that guaranteed at least 3 years of top caliber training and resources to help develop and evaluate athletes, like they do with NCAA Football, why would you ever consider building a farm league?

It is in the NFL's best interest to keep NCAA Football as is and require 3 years. It would make no sense for them to invest in a developmental league or lower age requirement.

May 15, 2019, 2:46 PM

NCAA Football = NFL's farm league. That's the point I'm making

May 15, 2019, 2:12 PM

Bit of a selfish outlook in my opinion. I read your post as student-athletes don't have a right to make a decision they feel is in their best interest? Would you prefer Smith and Feaster to just sit down in the depth chart? Students transfer all of the time for xyz reason, because someone plays football they shouldn't be allowed to?

I also ask why you font think the student-athletes shouldn't be able to be compensated for their name and likeness? Where should that money go? If Trevor Lawrence is on the cover of NCAA Football video game, you don't think he deserves proceeds? If he can sell $1m in Clemson jerseys that have Lawrence on the back he doesn't deserve any of that?

You also must not have read the fine print..this is a quote from NCAA from ESPN article posted yesterday

"While the formation of this group is an important step to confirming what we believe as an association, the group's work will not result in paying students as employees,'' Smith said. "That structure is contrary to the NCAA's educational mission and will not be a part of this discussion.''

They literally say they do not want to pay students as employees.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/26747489/ncaa-explores-compensation-names-likeness

May 15, 2019, 3:46 PM

NCClemsonAVE - Exactly correct that neither NCAA nor colleges want "paid employees." You didn't read what I said.

Congress is "Full speed ahead DETERMINED" that players must be "compensated." Not as employees - but through outside endorsement deals; including things like commercials, autograph fees, signed jerseys & portraits, speaking & appearance fees, etc. "Hi, this is TL (or Tua or Justyn Ross...). When I need my oil changed I take my car to Firestone."

The compensation would come directly from outside sources - not the colleges. This would be "Sch. C" money on tax returns via a sole proprietorship or LLC - AND - if they appeared as a Clemson/Bama/UGA (whichever) player or sold/signed that school's apparel - - the school & the player's rep would negotiate a split (the school owns the brand, logos, trademarks, etc). So really, the player would need agents or reps to deal w/the school's legal dept to negotiate this mess - making the "college amateur" in essence - a PRO already.

But heck no - NOBODY wants the legal & tax headaches of making these guys employees. The only way left to compensate them is to make them free agents to engage in "side businesses/deals." This is exactly what the NCAA is discussing now - but "discussing" only because Congress has made it clear, "If YOU don't - we'll make it the law!" So, it's going to happen.

Sure see a lot of #4, #16, and #9 jerseys around

May 15, 2019, 3:51 PM

That only the jersey manufacturers and Clemson made money off of.

May 16, 2019, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Transfer Portal & paying players set to wreck college football ]

The easiest way to deal with paying players for the use of their likeness would be to have the NCAA implement a blanket % to be paid to the players.

My biggest issues with the NCAA's rules is that they are extremely limiting on the athletes abilities to earn money completely outside of the school. Sure its easy to say that allowing athletes to earn real money would end up with Bama offering T.law $548,000,000 to transfer there, but what about the girl on the Field and Track team that wants to get a summer job to pay for her apartment and food?

May 15, 2019, 3:49 PM

Doesn’t matter. We only have 12 years left because of global warming.

We did just hit a new all-time high for atmospheric CO2

May 15, 2019, 3:53 PM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2019/05/13/climate-change-co-2-levels-hit-415-parts-per-million-human-first/1186417001/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This has been the coldest Spring I can remember

May 15, 2019, 10:56 PM

Global warming has happened before in the

May 16, 2019, 7:07 AM

Earths history, but not at the current rate. Global warming creates extreme weather, both in major hurricanes and rainfall records, but also extreme cold, which is what we have a great deal of the last decade.

I’m heading to Alaska in a couple months to see what’s left of the glaciers that 30 years ago were everywhere.

That's why it's so silly to confuse weather with climate***

May 16, 2019, 12:22 PM [ in reply to This has been the coldest Spring I can remember ]

Elite players are elite b/c of their belief in abilities

May 17, 2019, 12:54 PM [ in reply to This has been the coldest Spring I can remember ]

Clemson will continue getting elite players. We may as OP said, "continue losing them too"! The thing that makes a kid better than most besides their physical ability is: "they believe in their game"! Which is why they continue to go to schools where elite talent will be stacked on top of elite talent! They believe: "i'm different and will succeed where others have failed"! Only sometimes to realize; your best just isn't good enough!
It may not wreck college football so much as it may; even the playing field more. The schools who couldn't have ever got elite talent may now start getting the occasional grad transfer now!

My two pennies!

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We did just hit a new all-time high for atmospheric CO2

May 16, 2019, 10:11 AM [ in reply to We did just hit a new all-time high for atmospheric CO2 ]

FYI, the Global Warming/Climate Change 'crisis' never became an issue because of actual or perceived global warming or climate change.

Rather, it was agreed upon by fascist groups like the Fabian Society to be one of the most practical and substantial introductory steps toward the incrementalist implementation of global governance that they anticipated the majority of 'highly educated' (most fully indoctrinated) citizens to accept as necessary or genuine without divining its true ulterior purpose.

For those with little to no peripheral logical discernment, this is due to the fact that for any such legislation to be perceived effective it would first have to be enacted internationally and eventually globally, which would act as an important building block in the foundation of global governance while maintaining the outward appearance of an organic or ancillary transition toward such a state.

An interesting bit of trivia, the Fabian Society's official logo is literally a wolf in sheep's clothing.

May 15, 2019, 4:01 PM

I don't really see where much has changed when it comes to players transferring. They've added some things such as the redshirt rule that benefited Bryant, and allowing a graduate to transfer without having to sit out, but players transferring is nothing new. We've seen players transfer due to lack of playing time for every year that I can remember watching college football.

In fact, it's something that has always been discussed when it comes to recruiting and how many players we can take in a given year, aka "we have 18 spots, but we'll probably have at least 2-3 leave early for the draft, and another 1-2 guys transfer which should give us 22-24 spots."

Agreed

May 15, 2019, 4:06 PM

Players have always transferred. It’s become a little more player-friendly with the redshirt rule and immediate eligibility granted in seemingly most cases of non grad transfers.

My thought is, if a coach can move to a new school without having to sit out, why should the players? If we’re being honest, the players commit to the coaching staff not the school. I don’t think that’s a big secret.

Yep. That's the idea.***

May 15, 2019, 4:31 PM

Agreed, 100%. We are witnessing the beginning of the end. If you support this crap you

May 15, 2019, 4:40 PM

Are either really dumb, really naive, or both. Which, millennials typically are.

Re: Agreed, 100%. We are witnessing the beginning of the end. If you support this crap you

May 15, 2019, 5:30 PM

Or we're smart enough to not overreact, and realize that things like a senior backup QB(Bryant) wanting to transfer to start somewhere else, a senior running back(Feaster) who was #3 in running back carries last year, and likely would have been #3 again this year wanting to transfer to play more elsewhere, or a career backup linebacker(Smith) wanting to transfer for more playing time is something that isn't new to college football. These type of players have been transferring for the same reasons for as long as college football has been around.

Im not even referring to Feaster and Shaq. You catch Mickey'

May 15, 2019, 7:24 PM

Show this morning? That is what Im talking about. Pandora's box being opened and it WILL ruin the game.

Re: Im not even referring to Feaster and Shaq. You catch Mickey'

May 16, 2019, 8:09 AM

Backup players have been transferring for many years now. What is so different now that it's going to ruin anything?

Re: Agreed, 100%. We are witnessing the beginning of the end. If you support this crap you

May 15, 2019, 9:03 PM [ in reply to Agreed, 100%. We are witnessing the beginning of the end. If you support this crap you ]

Talking about mrorr24? Zach was unbearable in his support for paying players this AM on Plyler show - no clue about the reality of this situation

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 16, 2019, 12:50 AM

What we have brewing here is the perfect storm. The transfer portal, which is really - "It's not about the team - it's about ME." Add to that players making money (from outside sources) & needing lawyers & agents to negotiate those deals (with the schools & those asking for their services).

That means if players can get better deals at another school or a better "split" of the money by going to another school - then they use the PORTAL either as leverage, where they are, or use it to automatically exit.

In the end it becomes only about the individual & not the team. Remind you of anything? Like maybe the NFL or the NBA or MLB? College football will become another sewer of arrogant, bigheadded narcissists. Nobody left to put in the Ring of Honor, unless we put guys up there who played 1 semester at CU & then split for bigger endorsement deals.

It won't be so much about recruiting anymore - - just whom we can entice from the transfer portal.

May 15, 2019, 7:46 PM

Players should be paid. Schools making money off their labor. If schools don't like it, don't have a team.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is always the dumbest argument, schools make

May 16, 2019, 7:28 AM

money off a patent an engineering student or scientist student comes up with because you are using their facilities and learning from the Professors (sound familiar?) And they are being compensated with a free education at Clemson, which currently cost about $100,000 for a regular student and that doesn't count athletic training, tutoring, free gear, etc etc. I would guess it cost well over $200,000 to provide a 4 year degree to a football player. $50,000/year sounds like pay to me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is always the dumbest argument, schools make

May 17, 2019, 12:46 PM

Amen. A long list of items normally provided free-of-charge to student athletes when attending Clemson (specifically those playing football), that regular students would be responsible to pay for, can be generated, to include:

1. Education (including tutoring)
2. Housing
3. Food (better and more available options)
4. Free social and fun activities
5. Years of instruction and training to better their athletic skills, in some cases preparing certain individuals for multi-million dollar professional salaries
6. Healthcare
7. Travel opportunities

When all these items are considered, it would appear that the $200K estimate mentioned elsewhere in this thread, for a 4-year football scholarship to Clemson, is probably significantly low. I would compare that number to the $500K estimate I've seen mentioned for a 4-year scholarship to the US Air Force Academy, just down the road from me.

Taking the above into account, I and I am certain numerous other folks on Tigernet can't understand the opinion held by others that those attending Clemson on a full 4-year football scholarship are not already being "paid" for their contributions to the university.

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 15, 2019, 11:51 PM

I thought that the SEC already paid players. Nothing new for them.

Here's how the transfer portal at works;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0RBIkcVCJU

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And gambling. Don't forget gambling.

May 16, 2019, 7:19 AM

This isn't new. Vince Lombardi was a "ringer" back in the 1930s and transferred schools to play football in the NYC area.

The most popular sports in the 1930s were baseball, horse racing, and boxing. College football is probably at its peak now and these changes will likely affect it going forward. It may not stay as popular or it may change a lot from the game we know now.

Big wheel keeps on turning...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic