Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tracking Influenza....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Tracking Influenza....

Apr 3, 2020, 8:50 AM

Influenza estimated to run 5 months per year. Even though the media/social media doesn't count daily the number of cases/deaths to make the people stay at home and make people freakout and buy toilet paper. 428,000 daily cases and 390 deaths from influenza. Also, during this 22 week period up to 500,000 are hospitalized. Are the hospitals not over run (serious question for those in the health field)? Deaths and cases are much higher because they don't track the deaths/cases the same as covid-19. Also, the number of cases in the US is in the millions not just a hundred thousand with the covid-19. This current virus has been around much longer with hundreds of thousands that have recovered and some have died from it that are not reported. I find it very interesting that there are no reports of who is dying (age, preexisting cond., health of each individual, etc). Now before you say "every life matters" or whatever, these things matter. Many nursing homes, hospitals, etc have been closed off to the visiting public in the past bc of the annual flu. Many of these same people with health conditions are at a high risk from the common cold. I've dealt with a family member who had to stay out of the public because we were told a "cold" could possibly be deadly. So I'm not downplaying people with preex cond because it is serious and deadly, I've dealt with it first hand.

I hear people say all the time, we need testing, testing, testing. We need a vaccine! The flu vaccine is approx 40% effective and the people are ok with 60,000,000 infections and tens of thousands of deaths annually. Media can manipulate our thinking process and they are doing a good job of it right now. Doesnt make any sense.

H1N1 there were estimated 700,000,000 to 1,200,000,000 world wide who had this. Several in my family had it. The government quit counting deaths and infections so those are estimates. There was no closing down the country or world.

Turn off the media and social media for 30 days and if the government has to tell you to wash your hands, use hand sanitizer, stay home if you are sick or feel sick, cover your mouth if you cough/sneeze you have got alot more serious problem than getting the Coronavirus.

Bottom line, if you feel sick, stay at home. Stay away from those deemed vulnerable. Last thing is this: Name one thing the Government has gotten right? Just one!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another flu comparison

Apr 3, 2020, 9:00 AM

*sigh*

I'll just say that having even 40% of the population immune to COVID-19 would be huge and game changing. If that was the case i doubt we would've shut anything down. Over the course of months, that would be enough to slow the spread to a fraction of what it currently is / will be.

Re: Tracking Influenza....

Apr 3, 2020, 11:14 AM

Flu season starts in October. I’m not sure why you’re saying this current virus has been around much longer? Not here.

You’re talking about the flu killing 380 a day. The coronavirus has killed about 1000 people per day for three days in a row. And we haven’t even come close to peaking yet...

You bring up swine flu, but the mortality rate for swine flu was no where near this. Older people were actually immune to swine flu due to having been exposed to other H1N1 viruses.

Apr 3, 2020, 12:51 PM

There is not 1,000 people per day dying from covid-19 in the US. There is 380 per day dying from the flu....

Apr 3, 2020, 1:56 PM

Yes there are indeed 1000 deaths per day of COVID in the US now.... like RIGHT NOW. And it will get worse.

April 3 (GMT)

20629 new cases and 716 new deaths in the United States

April 2 (GMT)

29874 new cases and 968 new deaths in the United States

April 1 (GMT)

alert 26473 new cases and 1049 new deaths in the United States

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Apr 3, 2020, 1:57 PM

Today isn’t over but already over 700

Apr 3, 2020, 7:51 PM

Yup just checked and it is up to 1300 deaths today now... keep burying your head in the sand if you want, and refuse to believe, but please at least follow the precautions advised to us for everyone’s sake.

Apr 3, 2020, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Tracking Influenza.... ]

And March 31 had 912 deaths

Wake the #### up and do some research***

Apr 4, 2020, 12:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Tracking Influenza.... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Suggestion:

Apr 3, 2020, 11:15 AM

Stay 6 feet away from your computer.

The mortality rates do not begin to compare

Apr 3, 2020, 11:16 AM

For the 2019-20 flue season (Oct 19 - current), CDC estimates 24,000-62,000 deaths, which accounts for 0.06% - 0.11% of all those who catch the flu.

COVID-19 currently has a 2.47% mortality rate in the US and we're still in the early stages. If the current growth rate in the US continues (11.75%/day) and the current mortality rate stays the same (2.47%), we would see over 136,000 deaths in the US as a result of the virus, which would more than double even the most liberal estimates of flu deaths this season. SC alone would be looking at 2,214 deaths from COVID-19, where we've only seen just over 100 deaths from the flu this season.

Thank you, but I'll take the flu over COVID-19 as they really don't compare. AT ALL.

Re: The mortality rates do not begin to compare

Apr 3, 2020, 11:49 AM

The mortality rates are not comparable. Flu is based off estimated cases, whereas we are basing deaths on Covid-19 on confirmed cases.

Re: The mortality rates do not begin to compare

Apr 3, 2020, 9:43 PM

The total number of flu deaths is also estimated. Most people, especially the elderly who die of the flu do not have "flu" listed as the cause of death. It's likely to be documented as pneumonia. And it doesn't raise a concern because probably 80% of deaths are attributed to pneumonia.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excuse me...what are your credentials? Self declared

Apr 3, 2020, 11:23 AM

internet "medical experts" won't be my source of info on CV19...but thanks for playing. SMDH

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMO..

Apr 3, 2020, 12:42 PM

It is hard to compare the flu and convid deaths. The flu deaths do not let us know if the people that died even had the vaccine. Cdc days the vaccine was 40-60 percent effective. But how do we if people that died did or did not get the vaccine?

The convid virus has no vaccine..so comparing the 2 is impossible as far as deaths are concerned.

Apr 3, 2020, 12:48 PM

I agree. And one particular fact people are overlooking is that H1N1 was particularly hard on young people. You'd think that would freak us out more than a virus that is tough on the elderly with preexisting conditions.

Apr 3, 2020, 11:35 PM

Rebel93, stick to football and being a rebel. Math ain’t gonna be your strength.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic