Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
POLL: Why DON'T you attend football games at Clemson?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

POLL: Why DON'T you attend football games at Clemson?

Jun 26, 2014, 6:45 PM

With the recent article [read: blog post] about Michigan having issues putting butts in the seats, I was wondering what Clemson's biggest struggle is.

Besides travel time, what is your biggest reason for not attending games?

Of the choices below, why don't you attend Clemson football games?    [Results]

Tickets are too expensive
Parking is a hassle
I can't sit near my friends/family
I'm too uncomfortable in the stands
I don't get cell phone reception
I can't drink alcohol
I want to see better replays
I can't see what's really going on
I'm not sure how to get tickets
military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[LINK]

Jun 26, 2014, 6:50 PM

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/road-saturday/201406/college-football-fan-stadium-students-business-tv-ncaa-michigan-tickets

Poor competition makes it hard sometimes.

Jun 26, 2014, 6:54 PM

I try to make every home game, but once in a while I have a hard time getting motivated when we play Furman or Wofford or the likes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ahhh. Good call. I should have included that.***

Jun 26, 2014, 6:56 PM

Re: Ahhh. Good call. I should have included that.***

Jun 26, 2014, 7:49 PM

Not sure why you pick in Wofford.

Clemson's last game with the Terriers was close all game and many Tiger fans were very nervous.

We led with 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, and had a Pick 6 dropped that would have put us up 11. We also kicked 2 FG inside the 10 that could have Tds. Change FG into TD and give us a Pick 6 and Wofford wins.

Even at the end Wofford had the ball and chance to tie in the final 3 minutes.

You can say whatever you want but Wofford gave Clemson a game and the Tigers knew they had been challenged and escaped on that day.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While you are correct that Wofford gave Clemson a good game

Jun 26, 2014, 7:56 PM

that year, that should never be the case. That is another reason I wish Clemson would not schedule those games. You are supposed to win them by a big margin, so if you don't you look bad. Look, Wofford is a good program at their level, but it is shocking when they even almost beat Clemson. The teams are not on the same level. Period.

Re: Ahhh. Good call. I should have included that.***

Jun 26, 2014, 9:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Ahhh. Good call. I should have included that.*** ]

It's pretty simple actually, 1 game is not exactly a good sample size. Upsets happen, but you can't deny that Clemson should beat Wofford year in and year out. Did you attend Wofford? Surely this idea would have been covered in a class you would've taken.

I remember that one too. is that the same

Jun 27, 2014, 7:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Ahhh. Good call. I should have included that.*** ]

What if book when wolverine didn't get his claws?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Fluke

Jun 27, 2014, 8:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Ahhh. Good call. I should have included that.*** ]

Not trying to disrespect Wofford, but 9 times out of 10 that's not going to be a close game and it's not going to be exciting for fans.

And the fact that there *was* a close game makes an even stronger case that games like this are not healthy for Clemson. That's a no-win situation for us. If we blow Wofford out, no one cares. If it's a close game, people get worried. If Wofford actually managed to beat Clemson, the AD has succeeded in pi$$ing off the entire fanbase for a year or more. Those kinds of losses resound for a long time (See: App State-Michigan) and affect everything from recruiting to coaching to scheduling.

B/c Wofford doesn't matter in the context of FBS football.

Jun 27, 2014, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Ahhh. Good call. I should have included that.*** ]

There is no interest in the game, only the chance something freakishly rare may happen and you guys play with us and stress us out.

FBS only please.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: B/c Wofford doesn't matter in the context of FBS football.

Jun 27, 2014, 9:32 AM

How interesting! You don't think Wofford is really unimportant to FBS football? Yet in your comment you complain about how uncomfortable you were in their previous close meeting. As a Wofford graduate and a long-time Clemson supporter I can assure you that every Wofford alum feels quite strongly that Wofford matters and App. State showed Michigan the same in their classic win. Clemson actually isn't the only ACC/SEC school which believes such programs have a place in college football because Ga. Tech and Wofford open their season this year. You may wonder who I pulled for in the Clemson - Wofford contest. I split the difference pulling for each during a half.

Go Tigers!

It isn't that Wofford doesn't matter BUT

Jun 27, 2014, 10:12 AM

the fact that you bring up App State vs Michigan proves a point. That shocked the world because it is not supposed to happen. It is akin to a college team beating a pro team. Anyway, those games are usually boring, buy if they are not that is even worse! It is truly a no-win.

Clemson does it as a favor for in-state schools. Don't let

Jun 27, 2014, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Re: B/c Wofford doesn't matter in the context of FBS football. ]

your school pride blind you. I went to Georgia Southern and I absolutely love my undergrad alma mater. Just because we beat Florida, didn't make us relevant in FBS football. We have to prove ourselves on the next level.

The reason the app state game was so famous is because they were NOT relevant, and they shocked everyone. They made more noise beating Michigan than they did winning all those FCS national championships... because nobody but FCS fans care about FCS championships.

Major programs only schedule FCS schools to get an easy home game to keep the records inflated. Don't kid yourself. When Clemson plays teams like Wofford it causes zero excitement for anyone not associated with Wofford.

Wofford did well in that game, and deserves respect. But it was a fluke. If that game had been played again the next week, Clemson would have won by 40 or 50.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I didn't go to the games, it would be the price(s).

Jun 26, 2014, 7:07 PM

Average football fans these days just can't afford the cost to take their families to games.

The games have become a spectacle for the elite which is one reason why those that can afford to go are so much more upset with losses these days. When customers pay hundreds of dollars to attend a spectacle they expect to get their money's worth: a great show that ends in a [big] win.

Inconsiderate jerks blowing cigarette smoke on me***

Jun 26, 2014, 7:11 PM

Too much praying being forced by Coach Swinney

Jun 26, 2014, 7:14 PM

Jk. I go to as many as I can.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Too much praying being forced by Coach Swinney

Jun 26, 2014, 10:33 PM

My TV and Lazyboy work fine!

I live in Santa Barbara ...

Jun 26, 2014, 7:23 PM

That being said, I make, on average, about 1 game a year.

I was a dumb a$$ and had kids

Jun 26, 2014, 7:33 PM

:) Many weekends in the fall are booked with their activities. We all still love coming to games when we can.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

Same here...then I was a ####### again

Jun 27, 2014, 8:42 AM

Moved from Greenville (1 hour away) to Orangeburg (3 hours away) to Summerville (4 hours away). Travel time makes a huge difference.

Still make 2-3 home games a year. If I did not have in-laws who live 35 miles from DV, I might not even make those.

I work on Saturdays

Jun 26, 2014, 7:51 PM

or I'd be at every one!

Re: I work on Saturdays

Jun 26, 2014, 7:54 PM

Traffic

When you leave GSP at 9 AM and still miss the kick off for a noon game.......

You should have added.......

Jun 26, 2014, 8:06 PM

"Because most of the games are on TV and it's easier to watch them from home, etc."

I think that's why a lot of people don't come - in their minds it's easier/cheaper to watch the game on TV.

Re: You should have added.......

Jun 26, 2014, 8:08 PM

I was wiped out by the money ###### of corporate america.

Re: POLL: Why DON'T you attend football games at Clemson?

Jun 26, 2014, 8:27 PM

The 11 hours between where I live and death valley.

Jun 26, 2014, 8:50 PM

Travel expenses. Ticket prices . Irreverent Terrier fans clogging up the roadways. Scheduling Terrier Gan type teams.
I still go to as many home games a year as I can ...but it is pick and choose these days.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jun 27, 2014, 7:07 AM [ in reply to Re: POLL: Why DON'T you attend football games at Clemson? ]

I attend all the home games except the small school games. Five hour drive each way for those games to me isn't worth it. Now, if we played quality schools, I would go to all of them. Prices of gas, room sometimes, food and tickets due factor in, but you make money to do what you want to do. Bowl ticket prices are really to high for lousy seats.

Jun 27, 2014, 7:10 AM

Oh, one other thing, poorly coached teams ex of later Bowden years and the 90s I didn't make as many games, but ALWAYS MADE SURE MY TICKETS WERE USED

I go to half the games.

Jun 26, 2014, 8:59 PM

I split a season ticket IPTAY package w father in law. 3 tickets, they go to half the games and wife and I get half. My son is the lucky one and gets the third tic for most games. Except the big ones and then 3 adults go and one person stays home w all the kids.

Pretty good system, cuts cost and always have a sitter.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I go to half the games.

Jun 26, 2014, 9:03 PM

And no pics of hawt wife. Cause I know u will ask. ;)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Quick thinking on your part...

Jun 27, 2014, 8:23 AM

cuz you no it was coming.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: I go to half the games... First half or second?***

Jun 27, 2014, 8:26 AM [ in reply to Re: I go to half the games. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Jun 26, 2014, 9:00 PM

Upper deck is too high for me and I have vertigo therefore the height really bothers me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2014, 8:56 AM

seats in the west endzone are pretty cheap.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

None of the above....

Jun 26, 2014, 9:13 PM

Sometimes it's a schedule conflict but 90% of the time Clemson wins out on and I make it work.

Or

It a game like Ga St or SC St and it's just not worth the effort to drive from Hollywood SC.

I do attend games***

Jun 26, 2014, 9:49 PM

Two little things. Money and Time.***

Jun 26, 2014, 9:57 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not just the cost of tickets, but the entire trip

Jun 26, 2014, 9:59 PM

Is a deterrent for me. Taking a family of 4 is a once a season event for me

I went to a Michigan game last year. Very disappointing.

Jun 26, 2014, 10:03 PM

First, they don't yell. They even tell you on the way in that,"Yep, the Big House is big, but we aren't very loud". Second, they are just nonchalant about everything. We were in a line to a portal to get in that was about 300 people deep, at or about kickoff, and the line was barely moving. This is INSIDE the stadium. Well, I assumed they were checking each person as they walked inside for weapons or something, but NOOOOOO, they were just SLOOOOOOW. And they did not give a crap that they were missing the game. We missed the first 7 minutes of the game. Third, their seats MUST be 2 inches or more narrower than Death Valley seats, and my knees, although I am only 6'0", were crammed into the back of the guy in front of me.

I would never go to games if Death Valley was anything close to the experience I had in the Big House. Dabo is dead on the money. We have something unique!!

Jun 26, 2014, 10:09 PM

Because I am a Band Dad. Our Saturdays (right now) in the fall are dedicated to making sure 85 members of the Powdersville High School Marching Patriots arrive with all their equipment, props, food, water, and uniforms to put together the most exciting 9 minute performance to hopefully sway the judges to get them as high a score possible. We (yes, I said we 'cause I was on the field holding a prop in 25mph winds) won the state band competition our second year out, stunning the competition. You better believe the band dad's are keeping up with our Tigers though, in between bands and back at our truck (I accidentally got over-excited and blurted out the score after a Tajh to Sammy TD once during another band's show; poor form, I know). I love my Tiger football and it stinks for me that Clemson is going to be so good at the same time as my kids are in the band, but I've got to get them ready to play Tiger Rag somehow. #priorities ;)

Jun 26, 2014, 11:04 PM

Retired and on fixed income. Plus my wife has bad knees and has trouble with steps. Add that to cost of tickets and gas plus 3 hour drive. I would love to be at every game, but can't afford it.

Jun 27, 2014, 2:56 AM

Well, I live way up here in Minnesota. We did make it back for last year's FSU game, though..

Wow. You picked a gem of a game to attend.

Jun 27, 2014, 6:50 AM

I wish you had come for UGA instead.

Ga game was probably why he came to the FSU game....***

Jun 27, 2014, 7:16 AM

Jun 27, 2014, 8:16 AM

I can't drink alcohol ????????????

What's that got to do with anything

Jun 27, 2014, 10:15 AM

You can drink alcohol during the game anywhere except the stadium.

HTH in advance

None of the above

Jun 27, 2014, 8:20 AM

I try to get to between 4 and 6 home games a year. But I can't attend them all for any number of reasons, namely:

1- Cost. Yes, tickets are expensive, but that is rarely a factor. Instead it's the cost for everything ELSE: gas, food, concessions, hotel. Even a 1-night trip to Clemson with 1-2 kids is a *minimum* $400 trip.

2- Distance. It's a long-a$$ drive from Charleston, and the older I get and the more kids I pack in the car, the more difficult the drive is. It also often requires taking time off from work and/or signing kids out of school early, and when we get home there's no time to relax and recover for work the next day.

3- Scheduling. It is very difficult for me to make 2 home games in 2 weeks, much less 3 or 4.

4- Other commitments. I'm a cub scout leader, and though I try to influence our scout calendar to avoid major conflicts with Clemson games it doesn't always work. We have events (sometimes multiple events) every weekend through November whether it be popcorn sales, campouts, or field trips. There's ALWAYS something going on.

Re: None of the above

Jun 27, 2014, 8:47 AM

#1 is the primary factor.

Ticket cost isn't a big deal, it's the cost of everything else that goes with it. Gas and hotel, food on the road, dining while in town, boarding the dog, finding a sitter for the kid (too young to attend).

Spend well over $500 for one day of fun, or stay at home watch the game on the sofa and spend $30 in food and drinks.

Re: None of the above

Jun 27, 2014, 8:50 AM

JUST GUESSING that most of you in this survey who do not go to games and put little if any money into the program are the very ones that b!tch the loudest about every little thing about the program.

One of the biggest reasons

Jun 27, 2014, 8:52 AM

is the new types of ways to watch the games. In todays generation, especially students, who wants to go sit in the heat while people rub up on you to watch a game, when you can easily watch it in an air conditioned house, or at a tailgate with a satellite and multiple TV's. Not to mention all of the delicious, cheap food at the tailgate. I know I sure as hell dont want to spend five bucks on a hotdog, when I can buy a 12 pack of them at bilo for about the same price. But I try to make it to as many games as I can, I still purchase my season tickets, but I just don't have the time occasionally. and there is always someone who would be willing to buy my tickets, or sometimes I just give them away.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I attend Clemson games, but am slowing down.

Jun 27, 2014, 8:54 AM

Night games are a hassle because of advancing age.

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic