Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Next Man Up: Defense in reload mode
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

New Story: Next Man Up: Defense in reload mode

Jan 14, 2016, 10:24 AM

Next Man Up: Defense in reload mode

Clemson's defense once again faces critical losses, but just like a year when Brent Venables' group lost nine players to the NFL it will be next man up. Can the youngsters step up? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Next Man Up: Defense in reload mode

Jan 14, 2016, 10:37 AM

Did I miss something? What about Albert Huggins?

Where is Gage Cervenka slated to play?

Jan 14, 2016, 11:23 AM

Are they moving him to the offensive side of the ball?

Jan 14, 2016, 11:37 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Next Man Up: Defense in reload mode ]

He needs to shine in Spring. Good chance for him to show what he is made of. Now if we land Rashand Gary.......

this has to be good for recruiting....

Jan 14, 2016, 10:39 AM

Losing virtually our whole starting line up to the NFL every year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 first rounders last year, 2 more this?

Jan 14, 2016, 10:46 AM

another circus for pro day on the horizon?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this has to be good for recruiting....

Jan 14, 2016, 10:55 AM [ in reply to this has to be good for recruiting.... ]

Totally agree! And it seems to be working out just fine for our team, as the results are pretty remarkable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2016, 11:32 AM

Totally agree, this will help in trying to land Mullens ,who is top 30 player in most recuiting service and just out of being 5 star for ESPN bc they give out less than other services. but he will be instant impact player if we land him him. Hardman Jr we are moving up a lot in his recruitment and he could def help with DB reminds me of Jabrill Peppers from Michigan

Jan 14, 2016, 4:20 PM

Mullen visits this weekend...Maybe we can get him on board

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2016, 10:49 AM

I hope so, too, but I think we certainly are on the radar of most of the elite talent out there now. Success breeds success, and we are on a roll now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2016, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Re: this has to be good for recruiting.... ]

He would be another huge get for us. There are a couple of more that would put our class 2nd to none, and we may already be there.

Jan 15, 2016, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Re: this has to be good for recruiting.... ]

We are filling our roster with quality depth we haven't had since DF was Coach. The next many years are going to be very special. We do, however, need to get used to 3 years and done, though. That, too, is great for recruiting the elite talent out there. IMO

This certainly boosts my confidence...2 things

Jan 14, 2016, 10:51 AM

1) Where is Huggins ?

2) I agree that this has to be good for recruiting. These guys are coming in and getting the coaching and experience they are promised and getting sent back out into the NFL. Who knows where they will ultimately land, but I feel confident 1 to 2 more first rounders are on the horizon.

Go Tigers !!

Jan 14, 2016, 11:20 AM

What is the word on big man George Cervanka?
How is he looking for next season?

Jan 14, 2016, 11:22 AM

No mention of Albert Huggins on the DLine?

Jan 14, 2016, 11:27 AM

We're so deep at DT we forget blue chip players.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Jan 14, 2016, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Next Man Up: Defense in reload mode ]

Huggins reminds me of a Warren Sapp type of player. I thought he would be in the rotation this year. The spring practice could get very interesting throughout the defensive side of the ball. It will come down to who work the hardest, who wants it the most, who studies the hardest, and who prepares themselves the most. Can't Wait To See How This Outcome Unfold.

In past years I would be nervous, but so long as BV stays...

Jan 14, 2016, 11:27 AM

...the 2016 defense will, once again, be excellent.

It's the nature of college football. Great players move on, and we miss them, but there are a ton of great players and recruits waiting their turn. And the thing that gives me confidence is knowing this staff can get them ready. Light 'em up!

Also Somewhere On The Defensive Line Is Huggins***

Jan 14, 2016, 3:13 PM

Good ?,his omission from article is curious & SJ-DEin4-3*

Jan 14, 2016, 1:27 PM

q

Jan 14, 2016, 11:30 AM

Safe to say Carlos Watkins and Cordrea Tankersley are coming back? Haven't seen anything official from them, but this article made me feel a lot better. Having Tank back was, in my very humble opinion, more crucial to next year's success than either safety.

Go Tigers!

yeah, but what about Huggins?***

Jan 14, 2016, 11:46 AM

So it's confirmed Tank is coming back?***

Jan 14, 2016, 12:00 PM

Jan 14, 2016, 12:07 PM

The guys that mentored the younger players this year showed how they can produce and so our remaining Tigers you need to mentor and bring along our younger guys. You learned and you will be great for them. Show them and help them. Be their go to guy and make it back to the ACC Championship. First up...BEAT AUBURN!!!!! NEXT UP GUYS...FILL THOSE SHOES!!!!!!

Too big of a drop off from this year as opposed to last year

Jan 14, 2016, 12:17 PM

Beasley,Crawford , Lawson, & Dodd all had long reaches that help make them so good at getting tackles for loss. Some of the newer guys don't have the size or the reach. Then losing Mack & Kearse? You just don't replace guys like that with 3* players in their first year with major playing time. Yes we will still have a good D but I just can't see us making another run like this. Maybe by Deshaun's Senior year (IF HE STAYS) we should have a chance to make a run like this year

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

No...***

Jan 14, 2016, 12:22 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Too big of a drop off from this year as opposed to last year

Jan 14, 2016, 1:10 PM [ in reply to Too big of a drop off from this year as opposed to last year ]

> Beasley,Crawford , Lawson, & Dodd all had long
> reaches that help make them so good at getting
> tackles for loss. Some of the newer guys don't have
> the size or the reach. Then losing Mack & Kearse? You
> just don't replace guys like that with 3* players in
> their first year with major playing time. Yes we will
> still have a good D but I just can't see us making
> another run like this. Maybe by Deshaun's Senior year
> (IF HE STAYS) we should have a chance to make a run
> like this year

Ferrell, Yeargin, Bryant, and X-man all have long arms. Ferrell and X-man have ridiculous arms and frame, and Bryant and Yeargin are plenty long, but their athleticism is off the charts. Have no fear, we'll be just fine at DE next year.

Secondary is a?, but we have talent.

I think you're underestimating how good we will be on offense next year.

Jan 14, 2016, 1:44 PM

Ferrell & Bryant probably a little longer than Lawson & Dodd, and both more athletic than Dodd.

Bryant and Ferrell tower over both.***

Jan 14, 2016, 1:46 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Jan 14, 2016, 9:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Too big of a drop off from this year as opposed to last year ]

Clelin is 6'6 Bryant is all of 6'5 and some change. They are both taller than Dodd and Lawson. Clelin is 260 and Bryant is 275 they are both the same weight as Shaq and Kevin. We shall see how they do. I think they will be a little deeper on DE next year with all of those guys playing a lot more. We will have a lot of depth. It will be up to Clelin or Richard to prove who wants to he that WDE opposite of Austin.

Alexander is the only ? ....

Jan 14, 2016, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Too big of a drop off from this year as opposed to last year ]

& his most likely replacement; Fields, is a 4*, as well as the majority of DE's. Speaking of DE's, I cannot see Sterling Johnson as DE, not in a 4-3 scheme.

Jan 14, 2016, 2:05 PM [ in reply to Too big of a drop off from this year as opposed to last year ]

Get off that bridge, we may need your analysis next;) Just don't jump ????

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2016, 10:01 PM [ in reply to Too big of a drop off from this year as opposed to last year ]

We have plenty of room for improvement in our secondary. We never played but one complete game back there, and that was the Miami game. If we have safeties with the student of the game habits and performance as Alexander has shown, we will be fine overall. Film studies makes up for size and height. Alexander was our smallest but the deadliest secondary player we had. Both on runs without cheating up, solid and hard open field tackling with a reckless do or die approach which minimize missed tackles and missed assignments. With this year D-Line, our secondary can look even better and be more supporting to there hard work on crucial downs. There room for great improvement and even less mistakes if these guys are will the be a student of the game first. Hard hitting and speed ,is always good on defense, but; it is useless if you missed your man or your assignment.

Jan 14, 2016, 10:04 PM

word correction: (without) a reckless approach

It was said awhile ago that 2016 is supposed to be Our Year

Jan 14, 2016, 12:26 PM

Well...are you changing your minds?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It was said awhile ago that 2016 is supposed to be Our Year

Jan 14, 2016, 12:53 PM

I imagine all that said 2016 would be our year did not foresee us having the year we just had, or losing as many Juniors as we are losing now. I still think we have a shot, but losing these young guys are going to hurt.

Re: It was said awhile ago that 2016 is supposed to be Our Year

Jan 14, 2016, 1:18 PM

Dabo, Brent and the rest of the coaches will be bringing in many more excellent young players. This past year is living proof. No guarantee of a playoff run, but I imagine about 125 other schools would like to be in Clemson's position. CU has tremendous leadership from above (school president and AD), great coaching, terrific recruiting and superb players. This has been the case for some years now. A passionate fan base helps to drive success and the school's location in the Southeast puts it in very close proximity to many incredible high school football factories. Funny. Years ago, people from Florida would beckon, "come on down". Now, Clemson tells the Florida football players to, "come on up".

Jan 14, 2016, 3:59 PM

Let's go tigers restock, reload and let's go show the world we are here to stay.

RE: Dodd and Green

Jan 14, 2016, 4:38 PM

I don't blame any of these guys for taking a shot at the NFL as they are all very deserving and tremendous football players. I do feel that Dodd and Green could've benefited from another year as leader's of a "championship" caliber team. No doubt they would've been big names going into the 2018 NFL draft and could've probably enhanced their draft stock. Nevertheless, I'm sure both had very good reasons. Best of luck to all though and a big thank you for a wonderful year! GO TIGERS! #ALLIN

Re: RE: Dodd and Green

Jan 14, 2016, 10:07 PM

Dodd was ready. He had #### good stats and basically ruined that Bama lineman's career. If he's graded a first he should go, though I am a little surprised he's graded so high. He will do well in the combine and his Bama game was stunning.

Green..... yea I think he needs more time.

IMO one more year would ensure Dodd he's a first rounder but maybe he'll get it anyway.

Defensive Starters for 2016

Jan 15, 2016, 9:43 AM

IMO Defensive Depth Chart for 2016
RDE-Richard Yeargin

LDE-Austin Bryant

DT-Carlos Watkins

DT-Christian Wilkins

ROLB-Dorian o'Daniel

MLB-BEN BOULWARE

LOLB- Rashaun Smith

CB-Tank