Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bart Wright: DS "rant" was pre-arranged and staged
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Bart Wright: DS "rant" was pre-arranged and staged

Nov 2, 2012, 2:47 PM

First time I've seen in print that it was, truly, a staged event.

But Spurrier and Swinney have both added to the raw discourse that inflames the ones in the fan base that don’t need to be prodded.

Last year on the Thursday after the in-state rival game, Swinney agreed to rant to cameras after the final practice about quotes that were mistakenly attributed to Spurrier following Carolina’s third straight victory over Clemson.

"The statement, that Carolina “isn’t Alabama or LSU, but it sure isn’t Clemson,” was made by radio play-by-play man Todd Ellis. By Monday morning, all news outlets in the state realized Spurrier didn’t make the statement and it never became an issue.

Until Thursday when a Clemson athletic department member persuaded Swinney to take offense at the quote as though it had actually been made by Spurrier. Fan websites covering the team had been warned ahead of time to be ready for the theatrical nature of what they were about to hear and some giggled in anticipation of the reaction the comments would make before Swinney ever spoke.

As Swinney did this week, Spurrier laughed off those comments graciously even though they were staged and, like Spurrier’s own comments this week, out of touch with the time they were delivered."

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20121102/SPORTS/311020022/Bart-Wright-Spurrier-missed-chance-respond-grace?odyssey=mod|defcon|img|FRONTPAGE&nclick_check=1

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

can you summarize?

Nov 2, 2012, 2:48 PM

i really don't care enough to read the article. Tia

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Re: can you summarize?

Nov 2, 2012, 2:50 PM

"But Spurrier and Swinney have both added to the raw discourse that inflames the ones in the fan base that don’t need to be prodded.

Last year on the Thursday after the in-state rival game, Swinney agreed to rant to cameras after the final practice about quotes that were mistakenly attributed to Spurrier following Carolina’s third straight victory over Clemson.

"The statement, that Carolina “isn’t Alabama or LSU, but it sure isn’t Clemson,” was made by radio play-by-play man Todd Ellis. By Monday morning, all news outlets in the state realized Spurrier didn’t make the statement and it never became an issue.

Until Thursday when a Clemson athletic department member persuaded Swinney to take offense at the quote as though it had actually been made by Spurrier. Fan websites covering the team had been warned ahead of time to be ready for the theatrical nature of what they were about to hear and some giggled in anticipation of the reaction the comments would make before Swinney ever spoke.

As Swinney did this week, Spurrier laughed off those comments graciously even though they were staged and, like Spurrier’s own comments this week, out of touch with the time they were delivered."

thanks....i'm glad i didn't read...sounds boring***

Nov 2, 2012, 2:51 PM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

It's Bart Wright.....enough said.***

Nov 2, 2012, 2:50 PM

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Agreed ... Bart Wright is irrelevant.***

Nov 2, 2012, 3:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Bart Wright is to Dabo, as Ron Morris is to Spurrier.

Nov 2, 2012, 3:24 PM

Minus getting him fired for disagreeing with him.

First off, Spurrier's NEVER done anything "graciously",

Nov 2, 2012, 2:52 PM

secondly, didn't Ron Morris say Spurrier "stole" Bruce Ellington from usuck's previous basketball coach"???? I put as much stock in that article as I do in anything Bart Wrong claims

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm amazed any one actually reads or cares what

Nov 2, 2012, 2:55 PM

He writes or says! He is a total waste of air time!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Almost no one, and I mean no one in Greenville reads

Nov 2, 2012, 4:23 PM

his articles. You will never find a market the size of Greenville where the sports page is irrelevant like this one. He is killing circulation. He tried having a pay for view section on the Internet for Clemson news and was a complete failure. Job performance equal to Joker Phillips.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet the two coaches are very cordial towards each other

Nov 2, 2012, 2:56 PM

with no Cameras rolling. Not saying they are pals or anything. I just feel like they both know they need to do things to make this rivalry have more attention nation wide.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I bet the two coaches are very cordial towards each other

Nov 2, 2012, 7:07 PM

Thankfully someone gets the idea! Like it or not, this is the "sound-bite", "red-neck reality" medium of the modern communications era.....think Sat. nite 'rassling. Dabo and Spurrier understand what THEY have to do to raise this great rivalry in the national consciousness. It's all about publicity and ratings, boys and girls. I'd venture that they are much more friendly to each other than either would allow their fan bases to discover.

Todd Ellis said, "In the words of Coach Spurrier,

Nov 2, 2012, 2:56 PM

we ain't Alabama, we ain't LSU, but we sure aren't Clemson."

That's why everyone said Spurrier said it, because Todd Ellis said "In the words of Coach Spurrier..."

But I THINK Spurrier actually said, "We're not Alabama and we're not LSU" in a previous press conference. So Ellis added on the "but we sure aren't Clemson" portion of the quote.

I hope that makes sense. That's why it was easily misunderstood. I listened to the radio show after the game and I can hear it in my head right now... "In the words of Coach Spurrier, we ain't Alabama and we ain't LSU, BUT WE SURE AREN'T CLEMSON!"

And just to add... It's so annoying when sports columnists

Nov 2, 2012, 3:01 PM

write stuff that they probably didn't even hear. I bet Bart Wright was not listening to the Todd Ellis post game show.

I have no idea why I turned to it and happened to hear that. But they really shouldn't comment on things that they probably have no idea about.

Todd Ellis did not say that.***

Nov 2, 2012, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Todd Ellis said, "In the words of Coach Spurrier, ]

nm

^^^^i believe this guy***

Nov 2, 2012, 3:03 PM

Good! I have the legitimate deed to a gold mine in

Nov 2, 2012, 3:11 PM

Slabtown you'll want to acquire as well.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i saw the ugliest woman i've ever seen in slabtown

Nov 2, 2012, 3:12 PM

consider me an investor

Few things in this world compare to a Slabtown Debutante***

Nov 2, 2012, 3:18 PM

thank the lowered...i didn't think walmart had sheets that

Nov 2, 2012, 3:19 PM

big or ugly. But apparently they do and the sweet thang made a delightful mumu out of it

He certainly did. I think he said "we ain't Clemson folks"

Nov 2, 2012, 3:06 PM [ in reply to Todd Ellis did not say that.*** ]

to be exact.

Not that it matters but here's the link...

Nov 2, 2012, 3:19 PM

Pretty obvious why Spurrier was quoted as saying it...

http://soundcloud.com/1075thegame/todd-ellis-call-at-end-of-sc

^^^ok now i believe this guy***

Nov 2, 2012, 3:20 PM

Nothing beats affirmation from jonnyboy***

Nov 2, 2012, 3:21 PM

it's like a butterfly kiss from a

Nov 2, 2012, 3:22 PM

homeless man

He didn't say "In the words of Spurrier..." is what I meant*

Nov 2, 2012, 3:20 PM [ in reply to He certainly did. I think he said "we ain't Clemson folks" ]

df

depends on what your definition of is is***

Nov 2, 2012, 3:21 PM

Sorry. I was wrong. "As Coach Spurrier said..."

Nov 2, 2012, 3:21 PM [ in reply to He didn't say "In the words of Spurrier..." is what I meant* ]

is more accurate I guess.

i'd quit while only this far behind Zeiganut or whatever

Nov 2, 2012, 3:24 PM

your name is....Caddie owns you in this round

Could've sworn it was "In the words of" instead of "As Coach

Nov 2, 2012, 3:26 PM

Spurrier said"

Old age I guess...

i can't remember yesterday and i'm only 19***

Nov 2, 2012, 3:28 PM

Doubt I'll live that long.***

Nov 2, 2012, 3:32 PM

me too***

Nov 2, 2012, 3:34 PM

I heard him say that on the radio during a game***

Nov 2, 2012, 3:15 PM [ in reply to Todd Ellis did not say that.*** ]

Re: Todd Ellis did not say that.***

Nov 2, 2012, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Todd Ellis did not say that.*** ]

I actually heard him say it live, on the air. You are wrong. He quoted Spurrier's actual comment then added the jab at Clemson. But, on the radio there is noway to see him ending his air quotes. He did not do or say anything to separate his jab at Clemson from his actual quote of Spurrier. It was the official University Athletic Department twitter account that took Ellis' quote and attributed it to Spurrier. That quote stayed up until after Spurrier's reaction to Dabo's rant. Then mysteriously disappeared. But, Dabo or anyone else would be crazy to think that the official USC Athletic Department twitter account would correctly quote their coaches, right?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Todd Ellis said, "In the words of Coach Spurrier,

Nov 2, 2012, 3:44 PM [ in reply to Todd Ellis said, "In the words of Coach Spurrier, ]

Not only that, but what seems to have been completely forgotten is that the official USC Athletic Department twitter account tweeted the quote and attributed it to Spurrier. They didn't delete the tweet until after the Spurrier press conference where he called Dabo stupid or whatever for believing what he reads on the internet. What was more contrived than Dabo's rant was USuCks continued insistence that Spurrier never said it as though Dabo has time to sit around and listen to Ellis' postgame show.

I also like that nearly a year later Bart Wright asserts that it was entirely staged without providing a single source. He doesn't even hide behind an anonymous source. We're supposed to believe he's omniscient and just "knows." I have no doubt that the speech was prepared but equally have no doubt that it wasn't completely staged with invitations for a giddy, in the know audience as he is trying to portray it. To hear Bart Wright tell it, it was a high school production of "Grease." In reality I'm sure Dabo was just alerted to the quote and told to be prepared for it at the presser.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least there's a little common sense on here.***

Nov 2, 2012, 3:52 PM

Re: Todd Ellis said, "In the words of Coach Spurrier,

Nov 2, 2012, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Todd Ellis said, "In the words of Coach Spurrier, ]

Amazing he would add that, considering his own sorry record of 1-2-1 against the Tigers. I have not verified, but me may also have thrown more interceptions against CU than any Gamecock ever. So clearly he was just appending Clemson to a list of teams they will never surpass. Either that or he is a really bad journalist. ;). But that is insulting to journalists in general....

Well...

Nov 2, 2012, 3:04 PM

Duh.

Are you saying press conferences are planned?!?!***

Nov 2, 2012, 3:06 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#ACCFTS

Who gives a sh%t***

Nov 2, 2012, 3:07 PM

agree***

Nov 2, 2012, 3:08 PM

Didn't Hood ask the question? In that case, I don't think he

Nov 2, 2012, 3:09 PM

is a "Clemson athletic department member."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Bart Wright's next column

Nov 2, 2012, 3:09 PM

The SEC bias is more of a way to accurately rank teams in college football. The SEC has the best of everything without question. Kentucky has struggled a little this year but would still win the ACC. There were a number of good reasons they lost to Western Kentucky that had nothing to do with how good they actually are. I believe that the ACC was created to boost the reputation of the SEC. We should see more one-sided analysis on the ACC vs SEC rivalry games to more accurately show the dominance of the SEC teams. In the history of football an ACC team has never been better than an SEC team. It will not happen in the future either.

This is simply my prediction of the accuracy of his article. He may choose another conspiracy to write about instead.

Re:Bart Wrong reported that Dabo was seen on the knoll

Nov 2, 2012, 3:23 PM

in Dallas.

Coot?***

Nov 2, 2012, 3:48 PM

Re: Bart Wright: DS "rant" was pre-arranged and staged

Nov 2, 2012, 4:11 PM

Who cares? I love what Dabo said. I cant stand the OBS

pre-arranged or not - It was the TRUTH***

Nov 2, 2012, 4:13 PM

Leave it to BW to break a story that happened a year ago...***

Nov 2, 2012, 4:22 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So glad I cancelled my subscription to The Greenville News

Nov 2, 2012, 4:49 PM

months ago after many years as a continuous customer. BW and the sports section was the main reason why.

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic