Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To those who say RECRUITING STARS do not matter...(LONG)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

To those who say RECRUITING STARS do not matter...(LONG)

Dec 26, 2017, 2:50 PM

It is very hard to argue against Clemson's recent success and relevance when talking about our 5* recruits.

Now only 20-30 kids each cycle, out of tens of thousands, are ranked 5*. These select individuals typically become their team's best players.

In more cases than not, Clemson's 5* recruits, have panned out.

RECRUITING MATTERS A LOT, but it isn't everything. You need a GREAT culture, coaching staff, development, heart, character, and a mixture of young to old, walk-on to blue-chip, to make a GREAT team...but I would rather get them and miss, than not get them at all.

From 2006-2018, Clemson has recruited 20 Five-star recruits, and we would definitely not be where we are today without these LEGENDS:

2018:
Trevor Lawrence
Xavier Thomas
Jackson Carman
KJ Henry

2017:
AJ Terrell
Tee Higgins
Hunter Johnson

2016:
Dexter Lawrence
Shaq Smith
Tre Lamar

2015:
Deon Cain
Christian Wilkins
Ray Ray McCloud III

2014:
Deshaun Watson

2013:
N/A

2012:
N/A

2011:
Tony Steward
Sammy Watkins
Stephone Anthony
Mike Bellamy

2010:
N/A

2009:
N/A

2008:
DaQuan Bowers

2007:
N/A

2006:
CJ Spiller
Ricky Sapp

THE BEST IS YET TO COME!!!

By comparison, South Carolina has had only 3 Five-star recruits, but their two most celebrated players in history were on this list:

2018:
N/A

2017:
N/A

2016:
N/A

2015:
N/A

2014:
N/A

2013:
N/A

2012:
N/A

2011:
Jadeveon Clowney

2010:
Marcus Lattimore

2009:
N/A

2008:
N/A

2007:
Chris Culliver

2006:
N/A

#ALLIN #NEVERAGAINAGAINAGAINAGAINAGAINAGAINAGAINETC

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To those who say RECRUITING STARS do not matter...(LONG)

Dec 26, 2017, 3:01 PM

Chris Culliver as a 5 star receiver was a joke. He was a db all the way. Never understood that one.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2017, 3:03 PM

Wasn’t Feaster a 5* in 2016?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4*

Dec 26, 2017, 3:08 PM

Ranked #102 overall. #3 All Purpose RB.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2016/tavien-feaster-309

Ended up 4*, but #1 All Purpose RB per 247 composite,

Dec 26, 2017, 3:39 PM

#14 overall player. At one time I believe he was a 5* by one or more services, but lost a star along the way.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Ended up 4*, but #1 All Purpose RB per 247 composite,

Dec 26, 2017, 3:51 PM

Probably because he signed with Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ended up 4*, but #1 All Purpose RB per 247 composite,

Dec 26, 2017, 3:55 PM

Yep, and they just forgot to change all the guys above to something other than 5 stars.

Dec 26, 2017, 3:36 PM

Recruiting stars doesn't matter? Would they prefer Dabo and company recruit one star instead of five star players? How silly is that?

Dec 26, 2017, 3:43 PM

Great list. Thank you. It does matter. You find a diamond when you are not looking sometimes but it is best to look.

I've posted about this many times, and it boils down to

Dec 26, 2017, 3:56 PM

this: Having 4 or 5 stars by your name doesn't make you a better player than a kid that only has 1 or 2; but having said that, star ratings are a pretty good indicator of recruiting success and a decent general indicator of future on-the-field success. Star ratings are not a substitute for real evaluation, and things like fit and player development are just as important, but teams with higher recruiting rankings are generally more successful.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Dec 26, 2017, 3:57 PM

I compare the "stars don't matter" comment to the "looks aren't important line." Certainly there's more to it than that, and it shouldn't be the only thing you look at, but at the end of the day, it matters. You know what they say about the looks comment, "that's just something ugly people say."

Dec 26, 2017, 3:59 PM

Biggest difference between Clemson and USCjr is Dabo and staff recruit players with 5* character while the coots settle for whoever is willing to come to Columbia regardless of character or background. Their campus setting appeals to a thug mentality.

Dec 26, 2017, 6:37 PM

Lattimore is the exception to that logic. He appears to be a good, level headed young man.

The Stars are definitely indicative of stored potential.

Dec 27, 2017, 8:49 AM

But, looking down our list, we hit on about 75%. Now, on the list, only one obvious absolute bust, (Bellamy) due to reasons other than the football field. However, as far as "best Clemson players", I see Spiller, Watkins, Watson, Wilkins as the only ones who would make my list, from that list. (I don't even count the last couple of years, that history is largely yet to be written.) Others were good players, some even NFL players, but not absolute game changers like you would expect the creme of the crop to be.

There are various reasons for this. Injuries, position changes, etc, all play a part.

The list of some truly all time great Clemson players who are NOT on this list is just as informative.

Hopkins, Lawson, Williams, to name a few.

All this shows, to me, is that the player has to adapt to the system he enters when he steps onto a college campus, he has to be lucky from a health standpoint, to some extent, and he has to have an uncommon drive to excel to truly become one of the Great Ones, recruiting Stars or not.

Message was edited by: 76er®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wilkins is on the list.

Dec 27, 2017, 9:01 AM

The point as I see it is that the vast majority of the time, 5 star recruits turn into solid contributors and sometimes all conference/all americans. But you don't have to be a 5 star to be great.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Re: Wilkins is on the list.

Dec 27, 2017, 10:38 AM

You are correct, I have corrected my message. +1 to you, sir.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic