Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To the Korean War Vers out there you have my utmost respect men
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

To the Korean War Vers out there you have my utmost respect men

Feb 11, 2018, 8:08 PM

I had breakfast with a Korean War Vet at Cracker Barrel recently and the weatherand other conditions he spoke of were horrendous. He was also a Clemson grad as that's how we started talking.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To the Korean War Vers out there you have my utmost respect men

Feb 11, 2018, 8:30 PM

The first thing any Korean War veteran will mention are the cold winters, particularly the winter of 1950 - 51. That was the only one I experienced and it got down to minus 35 F where I was. I didn't thaw out until I went to Japan in March of 1951.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2018, 8:39 PM

Yeah, I admire and respect all Veterans. Did you suffer from any frostbite Joe ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you think with the the new clothes we have now....

Feb 11, 2018, 8:54 PM [ in reply to Re: To the Korean War Vers out there you have my utmost respect men ]

that it would still feel awful as far as being cold?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2018, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Re: To the Korean War Vers out there you have my utmost respect men ]

my Dad did not like to talk about the war or the horrible things he saw while serving over there.....but he did tell me about that frigid winter and how cold it was over there......Go Tigers!!!!

Feb 12, 2018, 1:07 AM

Similar story here. My dad was at an AF radar installation on The Rock... took his life in his hands every day just going down & back up the hill to bring water, never really spoke much about the rest of it or his 2 tours in Nam. He was tough as nails mentally, big hearted and as strong in Christian faith as anyone I’ve ever known. I have great respect for all of our wartime veterans.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2018, 10:25 PM [ in reply to Re: To the Korean War Vers out there you have my utmost respect men ]

We have all heard how "moving" the Viet Nam memorial is ( and it is) but please visit the Korean War memorial which is close by if you ever have the chance. It is nothing less than haunting. Full size figures trudging through the snow with ice dripping from their uniforms. It's incredible.

My father’s cousin was not only a Korean War vet,

Feb 11, 2018, 8:48 PM

he was wounded and captured. He spent about 3 years as a POW. Now if you want to talk about tough times.

Feb 11, 2018, 8:52 PM

my Dad was a Korean War Vet.....He passed away several years ago and I still miss him everyday.....and Clemson lost one of our biggest fans the day he went to be with his Heavenly Father......Go Tigers!!!!

Feb 12, 2018, 2:36 AM

I’m sorry about your Farher, and a heartfelt thank you to all Veterans. War changes you, it has to. You don’t come home the same. Again thank you and blessings

Message was edited by: jeancooper®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

If you ever get to read Clemson's William Funchess' book on

Feb 11, 2018, 9:38 PM

his time as a Korean War prisoner do it. It'll make you appreciate every day of your life, no matter what you're going through.

His squad was taken prisoner at the very beginning of the war. Don't know how any of them survived what they went through.

Feb 11, 2018, 10:17 PM

Thank you Sirs for your service!!

Feb 11, 2018, 10:24 PM

Being born in '69 , my education on the harshness of Korean winter came from watching MASH episodes on tv as a child with my parents .
The struggle in that environment with the rigors of war coupled with brutal nature garners a ton of admiration for those who mired and resolutely perservered there for our country .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feb 11, 2018, 11:47 PM

The "frozen Chosin" was brutal on the Marines and Army GI's that were there ....basically 30,000 U.S. troops surrounded by four times that many Chinese and North Koreans ..... all thanks to the "brilliant" strategic thinking of Douglas MacArthur who was relieved several months after the Chosin battle. Kudos to the brave men who fought in Korea!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 3:05 AM

I will second that. Thank you Korean Vets. Especially those included in the Chosen Few. Thank you to all of those who have or who are currently serving in our Military. God Bless you and your families for your sacrifices will. Thank you for your service????????????????

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic