Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To repeat...it helps Clemson a lot if Bryant can start
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 4,919

To repeat...it helps Clemson a lot if Bryant can start

Aug 19, 2017, 8:19 PM

The healthiest situation - and the one we as fans should probably root for - is for Kelly Bryant to start. Not because he's a Hobson's choice, but because he legitimately goes out and Gets It Done.

Why?

Roster continuity and depth, for one. With Kelly we have 5 scholarship QB's, which is very good depth even if most of it is very raw and very young depth. If Kelly doesn't win the starting gig he'll almost certainly transfer for his senior year. That would leave four QB's on scholarship. Tucker Israel just had stomach surgery that in his own words "did not go quite as well as he hoped". That could cut the number to three. I doubt Chase Brice would transfer if he doesn't start as a true frosh but you'd think Zerrick Cooper could be transfer bait if he gets beat out by one of the true freshmen. So your 5 scholarship QB's could easily start looking like 2 in one mighty big hurry...

...and then you're starting a true or at best redshirt freshman at QB. Sorry, Deshaun Watsons do not exactly fall off trees; the longer you can hold a young QB, the better his chances get he'll be mentally and physically ready when he does finally get the start.

We have some talented newbies, granted. But I'd rather be able to let them ripen on the vine a bit before we throw them to the wolves. Tossing a freshman QB into the fire before he's ready can ruin him. Jake Bentley got absolutely shelled to close the end of the season; his confidence could get crushed if NC State stomps him flat again in the opener...and then where is South Carolina?

Also - and I've said it before and will say it again - you really do want to see your grassroots local players succeed because they're always going to be the base of your program. You want a constant pipeline of local guys who have seen with their own eyes they can get it done nationally. You want local guys thinking they're going to be the next Shaq Lawson, the next Kevin Dodd, the next Mike Williams...and hopefully, the next Kelly Bryant. In any given year, there's probably going to be 4-6 in-state and/or Upstate guys who have high-round NFL potential...and you want it to be hard for them to consider going anywhere else. Why go elsewhere when the best program in the nation is already right in your backyard? We just saw that work with Xavier Thomas...and we want it to keep right on being true.

All indicators right now is that the light is finally on with Bryant. If true that could end up being a very good thing for Clemson. I just hope we as a fan base know that's a good thing, and don't start looking down the depth chart for the Next Hot Thing instead of giving Bryant his due chance because we're all looking for the Next Deshaun.

There aren't many Deshaun Watsons out there.

Like I said, absolute best case for Clemson is Kelly Bryant goes forth - and kills it. That happens, we aren't talking about just being good this year, we're taking a big step to securing the QB depth we need for the next 4-5 years.

Just sayin'.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Healthiest situation is

Aug 19, 2017, 8:23 PM

Best one plays, regardless of where they are from

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of course, but ...

Aug 20, 2017, 9:09 AM

... his point was that if a local guy turns out to be the best, it's advantageous to future in-state recruiting.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Of course, but ...

Aug 20, 2017, 3:49 PM

in case some on here have not noticed the
Clemson Tigers have expanded their recruiting to a national level. What we get from local recruits is all well and good but this team has become a national team so we need to act like it and understand what that means.

Re: Of course, but ...

Aug 21, 2017, 6:48 AM

So when a guy like Xavier Thomas appears locally, it's not important that we sign him instead of SCAR or FSU?

Wouldn't it have been better for Clemson to have signed the great 5-star in-state talent that went to SCAR under Spurrier during their 5-peat?

I actually think everyone knows that we have to recruit nationally, but we also have to dominate in-state when the best players are in our back yard.

If the best QB is *also* the in-state guy, it helps us stay on top locally and that's crucial.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To repeat...it helps Clemson a lot if Bryant can start

Aug 19, 2017, 8:30 PM

Makes good sense to me.

I can't dispute anything that you've "typed"

Aug 19, 2017, 8:47 PM

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation(al Champs!)!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Did i see the word...

Aug 19, 2017, 8:53 PM

LiGHT ?!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

solid points, supported by logic, should post more often***

Aug 19, 2017, 9:34 PM

NM

Q does not mess around. He doesn't post much anymore, but

Aug 19, 2017, 11:03 PM

when he does, they are quality. I try not to miss any of his stuff. +1

Somehow, my confidence in in Dabo's ability to handle it.

Aug 19, 2017, 9:38 PM

I want the best guy behind center. All these kids knew when they signed that work was available if they had the right stuff to win the job. Imho, we should make sure that tradition continues to ensure that we continue to be fair and recruit the best. When there's a hint that we aren't keeping the promise to put personnel on the field that are the best at their positions then we break a commitment to everyone and each other.

I honestly and completely have high regard for your opinion and appreciate that you won't take offense. All that being said I sincerely doubt a first year man can unseat KB with his experience and talent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2017, 9:42 PM

That truly does seem to be the most favorable outcome we could hope for. Well stated.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2017, 10:03 PM

Another great post.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2017, 10:18 PM

I had to google "Hobsob's Choice." Yes, you make the sense much.

Good to know

Aug 20, 2017, 12:23 PM

According to major writers who follow the chatters, he was to be moved to another position.

Everyone loves the back-up QB

Aug 20, 2017, 12:52 PM

We will keep 4. Next year will have some fireworks because of whom is coming. In the mean time, expect clemson fans to immediately call for the next guy to go in on the first 3 and out.

I am content to watch Dabo prove everyone wrong again and make the right call. Just sit back and watch. Go Tigers

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

63-17

Disagree

Aug 20, 2017, 2:10 PM

But, only time will tell if you're right. But I don't necessarily think your points are accuarte
either.
With all due respect, other than the coachs trying to give him the benifit of the doubt. Nothing
indictates he's the best option.
Now, do I think he can do some good things at QB, sure. But with Bryant in there, I do believe
there WILL, WILL have to be a complete commitment to making the running game alot better.
And all indications have him only slightly better than Cooper or Johnson.
From what I have read, the staff does NOT want this offense going backwards. And while Johnson and
Cooper can give you the big play. They may turn around and give you a negative on the next.
Bryant may lead, sure. But I believe Cooper and Johnson will be a factor. And I don't feel we "need"
Bryant to start. WE NEED THE BEST OPTION. And if that's KB, that's ok.

IMO

Replies: 16
| visibility 4,919
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic