Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To much KB info that is poorly stated or completely
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,146

To much KB info that is poorly stated or completely

May 22, 2018, 10:05 AM

inaccurate.

KB is not a good QB. False.

If an offense is built around RPO with a short, controlled passing game, then KB is more than adequate, he is quite good. One note of point from last year, the lack of a reliable TE target hurt KB's effectiveness. An offense built around KB will by default need to be a controlled RPO game, to account for his strengths and weaknesses. It is not a personal insult to point out his weakness, which is passes over 20 yards.

We can win with KB. Maybe.

If we are playing teams over which we have a clear talent advantage, then yes we can. If we match up with a team that has talent equal to ours particularly on defense, then that defense will be able to expose KB's weaknesses. Rewatch the Bama game last year. Clemson's defense is built around the concept of being able to stretch the defense with (per Chad Morris in his days at CU) 5-7 downfield shots per game. When that is successful then the defense loosens up and our running game and short RPO game (including jet sweeps) is more effective.When it is unsuccessful, the defense stacks the box, limits the run game, and dares KB to beat them deep.

KB limits our offense. True

This is just an opinion, so take it as such, Deon Cain would still be at CU if he was confident someone other than KB would be his QB. KB's inability to consistently throw the deep ball frustrated Deon more than anyone in our offense last year. He was visibly frustrated on multiple occasions last year when he beat his man and KB missed him. Again Clemson's offense is at its best when we can stretch the field. To do that you must be able to hit the deep ball. When we can't we are more preidcatble and thus more easy to stop. One thing that is being overlooked is the necessity to rebuild the TE into the passing game. It opens so much up for us when a TE is a threat that takes a safety away from the defense because they have to be aware of the TE.

Message was edited by: revmarkg®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To much KB info that is poorly stated or completely

May 22, 2018, 10:10 AM

This I agree with

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh boy.this is a strectch..

May 22, 2018, 10:15 AM

"
This is just an opinion, so take it as such, Deon Cain would still be at CU if he was confident someone other than KB would be his QB.KB's inability to consistently throw the deep ball frustrated Deon more than anyone in our offense last year. He was visibly frustrated on multiple occasions last year when he beat his man and KB missed him"

Perhaps, just perhaps there was a reason clemson started playing higgins and Rogers more and more.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Notice, I did qualify that it was an opinion***

May 22, 2018, 10:20 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't justify Cain's failures by attributing it to Bryant.

May 22, 2018, 10:33 AM

That just doesn't seem mature to me. When a reasonable man is successful he takes credit within and gives others credit in public. When that man fails he takes responsibility for his failure. Deon Cain dropped a lot of passes which he could have caught. Several times he failed to exercise reasonable commitment to pursue the ball. I won't slander him by posting speculation about the root of his problem but I have seen him do better when he was second on the dept chart. It appears he tried harder back then.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are correct Deon had his own issues of

May 22, 2018, 10:43 AM

concentration, maturity or whatever it was. He is a phenomenal athlete with a huge upside, when he matures a little. I have no doubt about that. I just think he felt he didn't have the ability to showcase what he could do, as a break away deep threat without a QB that could make the connection when he did. Again, it is purely an opinion with NO information that I have heard to back it up, which is why I noted it as such. But his frustration when he was open and KB missed him was clearly evident several times last year.

I disagree - Cain was a 3 year player all along

May 22, 2018, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Oh boy.this is a strectch.. ]

He and Ray Ray came in as 5* players with a plan to go to the league after 3 years. I don't think the QB situation changed anything.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was a bit of both. Cain had some consistency issues

May 22, 2018, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Oh boy.this is a strectch.. ]

but Bryant also consistently missed him on deep balls when he was open. I'm placing more of the blame on Bryant though because he had consistency and drop issues all 3 years at Clemson, but his YPC average was stellar with Watson at QB and pretty mediocre with Bryant under center.

2015 - 17.1 YPC
2016 - 19.1 YPC
2017 - 12.7 YPC

Re: To much KB info that is poorly stated or completely

May 22, 2018, 10:17 AM

Well said, I can agree with all of this. Best post ive read on this matter the last couple of days.

I agree with some of your opinions on Bryant.

May 22, 2018, 10:22 AM

I agree that he is a good QB. Poor QBs don't end up in the playoff. He isn't a very good passer at any distance because he doesn't control his body he tries to adjust horizontal and vertical distance with his arm and sometimes he decided whether to run or hand the ball off before the snap. Often he is wrong.

I understand that passing routes are no usually perfect because of good defenders and defenses may show one set and alter them as the ball is snapped. But really?

Alabama was the best team in the country last year. Clemson wasn't and I don't put all the blame Bryant for all of our failures on the field. The truth is that it takes a QB like Watson to beat a team with a defense like Alabama's. Bryant is not the man to do that. I believe and hope that Lawrence is. He appears to be as good or better than Watson was during the first year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,146
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic