Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To The Old Farts Like Me: Which Natty Was Sweeter? 81 or 16
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

To The Old Farts Like Me: Which Natty Was Sweeter? 81 or 16

Feb 11, 2017, 7:48 AM

Now that I have had a chance to let is sink in I am going to have to say the 2016 Natty is sweeter... Here is why IMO:

1. In 1981, The ACC was not as big or as deep as it is now.

2. We only had to win 12 games, Now 12 only get's you access

3. We actually got to play and beat the #1 team. In 1981, the Bowls were not set up where #1 and #2 could play. Georgia was #2 and that would have been a heck of a game.

4. We didn't get to watch every game on TV. Thank God for Jim Phillips and radio.

5. 2016 was a better team. The 1981 Defense was a beast, but this was by far a more complete team.

With that said, Here is what I like about 1981:

1. It was "magical"..Clemson wasn't on the map and were unranked.

2. You cannot replicate the first time which makes it special

3. I will always have a soft spot for Danny Ford.

4. No Woo-Hoo on the Tiger rag!!!!

5. The Tiger Mascot's terrorized the opposition

5. I was at the Wake Forest game when we hung 82 points on them...LOL

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Re: To The Old Farts Like Me: Which Natty Was Sweeter? 81 or 16

Feb 11, 2017, 7:56 AM

And, in 2016 there was no NCAA cloud looming over our heads or being talked about during the game.

Message was edited by: Dugatiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In 2016? I remember the 1981 Dark Cloud***

Feb 11, 2017, 8:10 AM

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

He clearly meant no not now.

Feb 11, 2017, 9:46 AM

Go back and re-read it with that in mind. It should make more sense.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He clearly meant no not now.

Feb 13, 2017, 10:11 PM

You are all over it. Auto spell, or just my carelessness was in play.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In 2016? I remember the 1981 Dark Cloud***

Feb 13, 2017, 10:10 PM [ in reply to In 2016? I remember the 1981 Dark Cloud*** ]

Typo. The word should have been no.

Feb 11, 2017, 9:32 PM [ in reply to Re: To The Old Farts Like Me: Which Natty Was Sweeter? 81 or 16 ]

Back in the 70's and early 80's if you won the NC you could almost count on an NCAA investigation. Just ask ND, Miami, Oklahoma, and King of NCAA violations SMU. So I don't think it tarnishes our 81 NC.

Feb 13, 2017, 10:12 PM

Same at ugay. They won and immediately went on probation, too.

Feb 11, 2017, 8:16 AM

I was 12 in 81 and that game was sweet but this year nothing will ever top that.

Feb 11, 2017, 9:26 AM

Well, speaking of "old F####", I was 42 in 1981, old enough to understand what was going on in that game, and it was unbelievable, surreal. However, I agree that this year's Natty win was the better of the two. What our team accomplished in that game just blows me away. In the 14 games leading up to the National Championship game, Alabama had only given up 8 touchdowns inside the red zone. We scored 4 touchdowns on 4 chances. Folks, that is a phenomenal stat against Alabama and that is one reason why we won it all.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This was better -

Feb 11, 2017, 8:16 AM

At 19 years old I did not understand how great a MNC was. There was no doubt that we were going to repeat a couple of times in the 80's...then Hatfield happened and it took many years to recover.

Re: This was better -

Feb 11, 2017, 12:01 PM

I was 23 when we won our first national championship. Back then no 24/7 coverage on TV like it is now. 2016 is better. SO much more coverage by the media. To those who hate ESPN, go ahead and hate but they brought YUGE attention to Clemson the last 2 years.

Feb 11, 2017, 8:32 AM

2016 was better.

... And I was living in Columbia in 1981

My take on it:

Feb 11, 2017, 8:33 AM

In 1981,as a senior, I made all the home games except Wofford. Was in a wedding, and we listed to Jim Phillips, while sitting around in our Tuxedos.
the Wofford score at halftime, was disconcerting. Pulled it out though, and we just didn't feel like the season was going to be anything special.
Tulane game was in NO, so we climbed the fence at Death Valley and took our coolers in and listened to Jim Phillips call it by radio.
That Georgia game and Hershel Walker! He never scored against us in DV. Buck Belue threw 5 interceptions and lost a fumble.
I don't remember the Kentucky game. Wasn't on TV, and it was Kentucky...
NC State - the triple option was going...mostly by ground. Under 50 yards passing. 4 or 5 yards, in a cloud of dust!
Virgina was certainly "the other white meat" as Coach Howard always called them. 27-0 I think...
North Carolina with Lawrence Taylor in Chapel Hill. I was there. 10-8 slobberknocker. We went in on UNC student tickets, who just didn't want to go to the game, because it wasn't basketball.
Always enjoyed beating the Twerps. Homer Jordan and Perry Tuttle were dialed in for a couple of td's.
It was around Thanksgiving that Jim Lampley broke the news of the NCAA investigation. That was a tough time for us. Lampley later was brought up on charges of domestic violence, and it is ironic that he went on to host "Fight Nights" I hate that Tarheel still, and can't wait to see the sanctimonious Tarholes get the death penalty, for selling out academics...
SCAR - always good to get the best of them. Jim Carlen wore leisure suits. Blocked punt changed the game.Gorden Beckham qb then at SC, his son went on to be a heck of a baseball player at UGA.
The following week Penn State beat #1 Pittsburg and allowed the Tigers to take the #1 spot.
Ah Nebraska!!! Legendary Coach Tom Osborne. Of course we were the underdogs! Like the last to years with Bama, we didn't have a chance. Jeff Davis told Homer Jordan jokingly that "those farm boys are going to kill you!" Unbelievable to see your team come out of nowhere and win the big one! I thought we would stay on top, but I was wrong. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
In short, the Dabo era has healed a lot of wounds in Tiger Nation. Thank you Dabo, coaches, a players for being the men you are...

Re: My take on it:

Feb 11, 2017, 12:07 PM

bookstore, if memory serves me Hershel did not score a TD against our Tigers ANYWHERE/ANYTIME!??
DITTO THAT FOR GEORGE ROGERS!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

awesome

Feb 11, 2017, 11:39 PM [ in reply to My take on it: ]

thanks for sharing that ... love hearing the stories around those games.

Feb 11, 2017, 8:38 AM

The 1948 team was the first Clemson national champion on the field. Undefeated including the bowl. Voting by sports writers can't reduce that national performance. We should take our que from Alabama and celebrate 1948 team as our first national championship team. Give Howard and the team the respect they earned on the field. If we say it enough it will become at least a point of debate.

that question is similar to "who is your

Feb 11, 2017, 8:46 AM

favorite grandchild?" Answer: "The one I'm holding right now." So, I will say 2016 is sweeter!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2017, 8:47 AM

While this year was more exciting.......1981 was a dream come true. Nobody outside of the South could even tell you where Clemson was. Moo U????? I couldn't breath during the '81 game and will always remember that euphoric feeling.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Feb 11, 2017, 9:01 AM

^^^If my memory serves, I think the TV broadcaster showed a map as to where CLEMSON was located. Nobody knew who we were or where we came from.

I certainly enjoyed the '81 NC as my family was together and watched it. My sister is also a CLEMSON alum. That was pretty sweet IMO. I did enjoy being at the CLEMSON/UGA game with a co-worker that was a UGA fan. He did not say a word all the way back to the car, and then he tossed his program at me as we got in the car. I think my grin gave me away. LOL

That said - this CLEMSON team, and last years' team, were off the charts in greatness. I have never seen better teams in ORANGE. This year the NCG would be the sweetest since it showed that CLEMSON has turned that mythical "corner". AWESOME.

Feb 11, 2017, 8:57 AM

From another old fart and I agree 2016 was sweeter:

1. I love Danny Ford and what he did for Clemson, but Dabo is one of the greatest life stories in sports history in my opinion.

2. There was an elephant in the room in 1981. Just about everyone knew we were going on probation, the investigation was ongoing even before the game. I believe we might still be the only school to win a National Championship in football and go on probation the next year.

3. Our program is so credible both on/off the field now. I love the fact that of the AP top 25, it was reported Clemson now ranked only behind Stanford in academics. Our star player already had a degree before the game was played.

4. Homer, the Fridge, Perry Tuttle, etc. were all fantastic, but I honestly believe #4 is the best player wearing a Clemson uniform in any sport that I will see in my lifetime. I don't know him personally, but he seems to be one gem of person.

5. A former walk-on caught the winning TD with 1 tick of the clock left to play against the dominant team in college football!

You summed it up nicely. I was a student in'81

Feb 13, 2017, 11:02 PM

And anyone who walked past the cars outside Mauldin Hall knew something was up.

I was at both & would have to say this one . . . '81 was the

Feb 11, 2017, 8:58 AM

1st & always will be and that is special . . .

But this team & the resolve & how difficult it is now . . . . has to be '16 ! ! ! !

NATIONAL CHAMPIONS bayyyybeeeeee ! ! ! ! !

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I think this one ....

Feb 11, 2017, 9:41 AM

Because it is tougher to win /play 15 games. Also this will be sweeter moving forward as I'm not expecting us to go on probation for three years like we did after 81. Or start the next season 0-1-1. That definitely wont happen.

This one definitely. Beat big bad Bama and watch it when

Feb 11, 2017, 9:55 AM

I want too again on DVR. With all the inside info available today you feel more involved with the team and it's success.

At 1982 Game..saw 2017, and I say >>>

Feb 11, 2017, 10:15 AM

There's not much difference between a beautuful Blonde & a gorgeous Redhead!

I loved them both, equally in what they offered at the time.

LoL

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^gets it^^^

Feb 11, 2017, 10:20 AM

i cannot compare the 2. 81 was a defining moment for me. i loved that team. this championship was a long time coming and just as sweet. now, my expectations are for more.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Yes!***

Feb 11, 2017, 10:25 AM

'81 for the impact, '16 for the game

Feb 11, 2017, 10:27 AM

What people fail to realize in the euphoria of being champs is that objectively the 2()17 game was one of the best college football championship games ever. It will go down in history.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2016, no doubt. I was a student and attended the 1981

Feb 11, 2017, 10:43 AM

(technically 1982) Orange Bowl. It was great in that I knew many of the players, but being in the stands in Tampa, and winning the National Championship in the last second against Alabama was a much sweeter feeling. I found myself hugging people I didn't know, and virtually everyone (myself including) had tears in their eyes. I will remember how I felt that moment for the rest of my life.

Feb 11, 2017, 11:00 AM

A tie for me.

1981:
I had just graduated (BSME) in December. Met a bunch of college friends in Orangeburg where we piled into a van for the drive to Miami. This van had zero seats in the back, unless you count coolers and suitcases. We took turns and drove through the night. Somehow we managed to arrive alive. Stayed in a fleabag motel in Miami. Went out the first night to a bar I can not name because, well, I am an Old Fart. The game was the next night. More good times. Next day and night was recovery time.

Great: I was there. With friends. Clemson won.
Biggest Regret: Had an offer for FREE tickets to the Miami-San Diego playoff game the next day. Too lazy/tired/hungover to take advantage. BIG mistake.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_in_Miami

2016:
Delayed retirement for another decade and went with wife and two daughters. Met some brothers, sisters, nephews, new friends, etc. to make a party of 13. Another great time that I have more complete memories of. Great game with great ending. Stayed in the parking lot until after 2 am smoking victory cigars.

Great: I was there with family and friends. Clemson won.
Regrets: None, except the delayed retirement.

It helps that the online content makes it so easy revisit. A couple of my favorites that have been posted on TigerNet over the past month.

Entire Game where you can select exact drive you want to see (credit to @sirvizalot):
https://public.tableau.com/views/2017NationalChampionship-ClemsonvsAlabama/NationalChampionshipVisualized?:#####=y&:display_count=yes&:showVizHome=no

Final drive set to music from Remember the Titans (credit to Dear Old Clemson). No commentaries, just memorable video and post game reactions:
https://twitter.com/DearOldClemson/status/825381957043441667

Message was edited by: arlingtonVA®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2017, 12:10 PM

Great post ArlingtonVA.
Enjoyed thoroughly!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great

Feb 11, 2017, 11:55 PM [ in reply to Re: To The Old Farts Like Me: Which Natty Was Sweeter? 81 or 16 ]

thanks for sharing that! I remember vividly those trips / outings as a college kid where you look back today and go...how the h#ll didn't someone die?

That twitter video is awesome btw, had tears in my eyes.

Feb 11, 2017, 11:18 AM

Graduated in '77. Went to nearly every game in 1981. Went to one game in 2016. This one was much sweeter. In '81 the newly started ESPN network could not utter Clemson University Tigers without attaching "who are under NCAA investigation". Afterwards for 5 years when Clemson games were allowed to be televised again it was Clemson University, "who was on probation for recruiting violations" beat so and so. Constantly hearing that BS on ESPN and opposing fans sucked.

Feb 11, 2017, 11:49 AM

In 1981 I wasn't a Clemson fan,but I am on old fart.
Therefore the 2016 Natty is sweeter.
And besides I don't think they referred to it as The Natty
in 1981.

Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed this.***

Feb 11, 2017, 11:50 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Analygous to losing virginity vs. dating sensuous supermodel

Feb 11, 2017, 11:57 AM

Different but both beautiful rites of passage.

Feb 11, 2017, 11:58 AM

What an excellent post! I agree whole heartedly (sp) with everything you said!
The only caveat being what the poster below mentioned concerning a somewhat black cloud. It was aggravating to hear that bs from the coots.
I was at THE GAME in 81.( still have my stub ??) GO TIGERS. 1981 & 2016

as for point 3 we already beat uga that year***

Feb 11, 2017, 12:09 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: as for point 3 we already beat uga that year***

Feb 11, 2017, 1:08 PM

further on point 3...it was known in the 3rd quarter that #2 and #3 had lost...the winner of this game was going to be the National Champ.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You never forget your first....

Feb 11, 2017, 1:03 PM

...do ya?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#2 & #3 pics or it didn't happen ;-)***

Feb 11, 2017, 1:13 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

like comparing a hot Krispy Kreme to an ice cream sundae

Feb 11, 2017, 2:11 PM

both wonderfully sweet but very different.

1981 -- totally unexpected, from 6-5 unranked to 12-0. 12 and ZERO. Undefeated is really impossible to top. Put tiny little Clemson on the national map with the big boys.

2016 -- oh-so-close the year before. Started the season in the Top 5, with many predictions to win it all pre-season. That said, it is MUCH harder now than it was then because of the playoff system. MASSIVE national media exposure that was not there in 1981.

I can't really make a clear choice.

Feb 11, 2017, 9:25 PM

I'm 47 , and was 12 when we won it all in 1981 . That feeli g was tremendous though because of my youth I don't think that I appreciated how very rare they were , especially for little ol' Clemson University .
This one , with my daughter a freshman at Clemson and having watched our ups and downs over the past 35 years or so is MUCH sweeter to me . I appreciate this one .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

almost equal..i was there in '81.my .daughter for this one

Feb 12, 2017, 10:32 AM

so, guess i'll have to give a slight edge to 81. :)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Feb 12, 2017, 6:30 PM

2016. Because my sons got to see it with me. both are Tiger grads.

Some good points here!

Feb 14, 2017, 8:10 AM

It is really tough to pick between the two so I am just enjoying both of them! What a special time in 1981 and in 2016 as well. Top of the world baby!!!

Go Tigers!!!

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic