Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TigerNet Talk #91: Honest Expectations
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Oct 7, 2010, 9:26 AM

Players make mistakes. Coaches make tough decisions. Some of those decisions are probably deemed to be poor and as a Clemson fan they hurt. Just don't give up on this team. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh goodie

Oct 7, 2010, 9:28 AM

another propaganda piece explaining why 7-5/8-4 is just fine.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oh goodie

Oct 7, 2010, 9:44 AM

If we put this program back 10 years, we're exactly where we are now. How long must we wait?

10 years ago, we were the 5th ranked team in teh country...

Oct 7, 2010, 9:47 AM

Not so sure what's wrong with that.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 10 years ago, we were the 5th ranked team in teh country...

Oct 7, 2010, 9:49 AM

wow has that already been ten years ago?

And we finished with 3 losses.

Oct 7, 2010, 10:00 AM [ in reply to 10 years ago, we were the 5th ranked team in teh country... ]

A three loss team was our best team of the decade.

Freakin' sweet.

Re: And we finished with 3 losses.

Oct 7, 2010, 10:58 AM

wasn't a 2 loss team the best we had in the 90s? I mean correct me if I am wrong, but since the 1950's Clemson has only had 2 undefeated seasons, right?

Losses to No. 17, No. 4 and No. 6 in the country***

Oct 7, 2010, 1:14 PM [ in reply to And we finished with 3 losses. ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't take over an 8-9 win program and "rebuild", you

Oct 7, 2010, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Oh goodie ]

"take it to the next level". That is what Dabo was charged with. Last year was a good start, but to finish 7-5 or 6-6 this year is unacceptable. We have all of 4 good teams on our schedule and 2 of those at home. We need 9 wins, or I say we are completely stuck in neutral.

Re: You don't take over an 8-9 win program and "rebuild", you

Oct 7, 2010, 8:53 PM

Who's saying that can't happen this year??? We have done alot of good things in the 4 games we have played. Quit feeding so much negativity into this post and get behind your Tigers folks!!! There's alot of football left. Go Tigers!!!

Its OK to disagree, and there is another side to every

Oct 7, 2010, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Oh goodie ]

opinion, including the OP. But don't accuse him of saying something he didn't say. He never said 7-5 would be just fine, he didn't even imply it, and I don't think he intended to. Taking down straw men is pretty easy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I prefer my tongue in cheek response

Oct 7, 2010, 3:21 PM

instead of making a bulletted outline of my problems with it.

This entire "it takes time to build a program" crap is ridiculous.

That's my point.

I will agree that the the two losses didn't look good. To

Oct 9, 2010, 8:32 AM

be giving up big plays to lose games and having no passing game to speak of is not where Dabo should be after 2.5 years, giving the type of players the team had when he took the job.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The problem is that some of the same problems have

Oct 7, 2010, 9:54 AM

been occurring with this team since last year. We were told they were correctable and yet we still see them happening. The defense gives up way too many rushing yards. The defense blows multiple pass coverages, allowing multiple touchdowns. The offense can't pick up a 3RD and 1 and then can't pick up a 4TH and 1. Our kicker has been very good so far this year; however, the one kick we needed to get us to a 2ND OT with Auburn was missed and it was not a difficult kick to make for a kicker. We repeatedly shoot ourselves in the foot and have to play from behind, in most cases. It just gets very frustrating when we continue to see some of the same things that plagued teams coached by TB.

mental mistakes in the secondary have cost us...

Oct 7, 2010, 9:56 AM

not giving up the run

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: Oh really? How about the rushing yards given up to Miami

Oct 7, 2010, 10:01 AM

on their first TD drive? They sliced through that defense like a hot knife through butter. Let me list a few more: the rushing yards given up against North Texas, the rushing yards given up against SCU, the rushing yards given up against UVA in the first half and to top all of them, the rushing yards given up to GT in both games last year, especially in the ACCCG. I'd say that yes, rushing yards given up is a problem. However, you are right. Blown pass coverages are a problem as well.

I agree we have given up yardage on the ground... but

Oct 7, 2010, 10:06 AM

I don't think that has beaten us... with the exception of SCU last year. Even against GT, they stalled out inside the 30's. Plus, GT beat us simply b/c we didn't make plays in the secondary when we needed... BOTH TIMES... not b/c of their run game. I thought we did what we wanted by putting them in 3rd and long. We just didn't make a play after that.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

By the way....

Oct 7, 2010, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Oh really? How about the rushing yards given up to Miami ]

thanks for having some good football discussion...

Re: TigerNet Talk #91: Honest Expectations

Oct 7, 2010, 10:56 AM

I don't want a new Head Coach, nor do I want a new starting QB, but I do want a Head Coach who will get the defensive mistakes corrected. I can remember from playing days that physical limitations can't be held against a player, but mental mistakes aren't acceptable. Let's get the mis-cues fixed, now. Also, I want a healthy QB playing. If KP is hurt, let's get him healthy. Face it, he will be gone next year, and I'd just as soon get TB some real game experience while we let KP heal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ALL CLEMSON FANS THAT HAVE COMMENTED.....

Oct 7, 2010, 11:02 AM

If you really don't have enough faith in your team, THEN STOP COMMENTING ON THIS! Maybe if they had some support from their fans they could do better but all you guys care about is what were doing right now, it WILL get better, just give Dabo time. I love my tigers!

Re: ALL CLEMSON FANS THAT HAVE COMMENTED.....

Oct 7, 2010, 11:06 AM

Amen!!

LOL.****

Oct 7, 2010, 11:10 AM [ in reply to ALL CLEMSON FANS THAT HAVE COMMENTED..... ]

Isn't that what we said about Bowden........for 9 years!!!!!***

Oct 7, 2010, 12:40 PM [ in reply to ALL CLEMSON FANS THAT HAVE COMMENTED..... ]

85,000 paying fans in Death Valley wasn't enough support?

Oct 7, 2010, 2:28 PM [ in reply to ALL CLEMSON FANS THAT HAVE COMMENTED..... ]

The team lost because of too many T-Net posters want them to do better? That's funny.

The premise of this article is disappointing

Oct 7, 2010, 11:16 AM

"Dabo is building a program and it takes time."

NO - Dabo is NOT BUILDING a program. We already had a program - and Dabo was part of that program. So what is he building? Our previous coach built a program starting from a pitiful state. By building a program I mean he recruited FAR BETTER than we had before. He got us to bowls every year. He totally owned the #####. He got the West End Zone built! I'm not trying to rip Dabo but my goodness what has he done to build a program compared to that?

Please don't give me Dabo's talk about toughness and jumping up and down on the sidelines instead of sucking on grass. We have cheerleaders folks - they are the pretty girls in the skirts.

I'm not looking for Dabo's head - yet. But getting four games into the year and THEN REALIZING that every one of his starting wide receivers should not have been a starter - is what, proof of building a program? No, it is proof that being a head coach in D-1 football is more challenging than talk and cheerleading.

Re: The premise of this article is disappointing

Oct 7, 2010, 2:19 PM

I prefer the rally cats. They are way prettier on avg. than the cheerleaders. Just something about those purple pants. I'm sure this is a time when most can agree on a predominantly purple uniform.

Amen brother, amen!***

Oct 7, 2010, 4:06 PM [ in reply to The premise of this article is disappointing ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Get bitter or get bitter" and the like . . .

Oct 7, 2010, 12:49 PM

will only take a fan base so far. The response that is beginning to swell is "Win or continue to blow wind!"

"Get bitter or get better," rather. :)****

Oct 7, 2010, 12:52 PM

Re: TigerNet Talk #91: Honest Expectations

Oct 7, 2010, 2:06 PM

Dabo has done a good job for the experience he brings to the table which is not alot, and yes i do agree that the young coaching staff needs time to figure it all out time is something we have. The tigers arent going anywhere. There is also still hope that we can salvage this season. I do agree the defense is way to far behind in Steele's D but it is only the second year in his defense the starters from last year are doing better, the second string guys that are starting this year are still learning. D-Mac needs to get his crap together though. We all need to just have some faith in our school that we all love and cherish, if you dont then you dont need to be a fan or should i say a (fairweather fan) stick with them through thick and thin.

T-Net's bias shows again. NEVER point out coaching problems.

Oct 7, 2010, 3:19 PM

For years I've been reading T-Net for the good information that they provide about my beloved Tigers. But I know that I'm only going to get biased, pro-administration information from T-Net and never an objective-- let alone critical-- observation about the coaches. T-Net is more like a Clemson University PR site.

T-Net supported Bowden despite his decade of mediocrity. Notice that in the 2 years since Bowden was fired and said he wanted to coach again, there have been 46 FBS head-coaching changes but NOT ONE SCHOOL OUT OF FORTY-SIX has seriously considered hiring Bowden. T-Net cheered him on and thought he was good enough for Clemson. But 46 other FBS ADs have rejected him.

Similarly, T-Net cheered on former OC, Rob Spence, who was plainly awful. After Dabo fired Spence, Spence's good buddy, Doug Marrone, hired him to be OC at Syracuse. But Spence was so awful that Marrone took over the play-calling and fired Spence before the season was even over! Spence is now a wide receivers coach at Temple. He was just not a competent big-league OC, despite all of the positive-spin T-Net articles about him.

Dabo and his staff aren't bad. And they may well get Clemson to the ACCCG this year for a rematch with Miami. (I expect that.) But let's face it. If Clemson had hired a top tier, experienced head coach (or even just a top tier OC) Clemson would have likely won 2-3 more games last year (GT-1, TCU, UMD, and maybe the ACCCG). Clemson would have attended a better bowl, had a higher ranking last year and this year, and attracted better recruits as a result, thereby positioning Clemson to be do better in the future. Clemson would have likely beaten Auburn and maybe Miami this year. But Clemson went for a bargain-basement, newbie head coach and newbie OC who make just enough mistakes to lose close games.

Swinney and Napier may turn out to be great coaches some day. But the truth is that they wouldn't be on the interview list (for HC & OC, respectively) of any major FBS program in the country that has aspirations to be a perennial Top 15 program. They may get there eventually, but the simple truth is that their inexperience has already cost Clemson a few games and that Top 15 status.

I'm not saying that Clemson should fire them at this late point. But if Clemson University had been serious about making the football program great again, they would have hired top tier, experienced, proven coach rather than a position coach who didn't even have coordinator experience. I mean, c'mon... Would a self-respecting football school like Florida, Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, FSU, et al, hire a young position-coach like Dabo to be their HC? No way. Their fan base would lynch the administration. Our fan base soaks up the feel-good propaganda and falls in love with the coach whom they are suddenly certain is THE guy to take them to the promised land.

I'm a Clemson fan, not a coach fan. I expect to see several "Coot" replies to this post from the folks who love the coaches more than the school.

Re: T-Net's bias shows again. NEVER point out coaching problems.

Oct 7, 2010, 3:37 PM

Back when you first started saying Bowden was done, I thought you were full of hate . . . now I find myself agreeing with you more often that not. Dabo should get at least one more year to see what he can do . . . CU will probably give him 4 or 5 (if he is bad).

^^^ Best post ever.***

Oct 7, 2010, 4:07 PM [ in reply to T-Net's bias shows again. NEVER point out coaching problems. ]

Oct 8, 2010, 10:46 AM [ in reply to T-Net's bias shows again. NEVER point out coaching problems. ]

Well put. For now, we have the coaches that we have, and let's back them. But, you're right about Dabo's hire. He may prove to be a great coach, but it will be shear luck, not the result of an administrative stroke of genius.
Meanwhile, let's enjoy the Goat Roast this weekend at the Hill of Chaps.
Go you mangy Cats!

Oct 8, 2010, 2:30 PM

Interesting stat from The Herd. In the last ten years national championships have been won by teams who's coaches have been at that program an average of only 3 years. Saban,Miles etc. Programs and fans no longer want to wait 5-7 years for a championship program ....any championship would be nice before we are all long in the tooth.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic