Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tiger in the NFL - who was most surprising NOT to make it
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Tiger in the NFL - who was most surprising NOT to make it

Jul 30, 2018, 8:35 AM

With all of the great athletes we've sent to the NFL the last few seasons, it got me thinking about some of the guys who were outstanding at Clemson but who, for various reasons, never really made it in the NFL - at all, or to the expectations they had going in.

(disclaimer - I'm not one of those who plays fantasy football and stat tracks everyone, so these are just my Monday morning QB observations)

James Davis probably tops my list. Tajh Boyd is in there - yeah, maybe he wouldn't have been a starter, but he could've made a good backup (if Clipboard Jesus could do it for so many years, why not Tajh??). Woody Dantzler, too. Boulware was a bit of a surprise, but it also makes sense. Jacoby Ford kinda fizzled out after a couple of good years.

We've had some great running backs and wide receivers over the years who never really made it at the next level.

Who do you have?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tiger in the NFL - who was most surprising NOT to make it

Jul 30, 2018, 8:41 AM

Daquan Bowers. At one point was projected a top 5 overall selection. Injuries were not kind to him.

Jul 30, 2018, 10:12 AM

Bowers actually exceeded expectations. Nobody expected him to last until a second contract which he did wind up getting.

Jul 31, 2018, 8:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Tiger in the NFL - who was most surprising NOT to make it ]

Yep this was the immediate name I was thinking about. Dude was so talented and flaked so hard in the NFL.

Jul 30, 2018, 8:42 AM

Jay Guillermo and Tyrone Crowder. I think both made multiple first team all ACC. DeAndre McDaniel is the biggest surprise to me though....He was a stud at clemson!

Jul 30, 2018, 8:43 AM

Sorry I misread you post... Thought you were talking about who didnt make it to the NFL.

Jul 30, 2018, 8:57 AM

Either way! Who simply didn't make it there at all or weren't really able to make it work.

Jul 31, 2018, 5:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Tiger in the NFL - who was most surprising NOT to make it ]

I never thought that he could tackle...only tried to hit people.

Jul 30, 2018, 8:43 AM

I can't really think of any surprises. Injuries happen. There are also just so many that don't have the measurables. Tay Scott I thought was good enough, but it sounds like he may be working his way in.

Jul 30, 2018, 8:44 AM

Maybe Derrick Hamilton

his knees were shot***

Jul 30, 2018, 5:47 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tajh.***

Jul 30, 2018, 8:44 AM

Jul 30, 2018, 8:50 AM

Kenny Flowers, Bubba Brown. I would've expected Jeff Davis to have a long NFL career.

Jul 30, 2018, 8:52 AM

And I did not expect James Davis to do much at all in the pros. He was the 3rd best back on the team his senior year.

I thought Davis was going to be a solid NFL RB with his

Jul 30, 2018, 8:07 PM

strength, speed, and north south attitude, our best contribution since Terry Allen. He could break away also, block. It really seems like he got robbed a little getting knocked around and hurt during no pads practices in Cleveland during camp his rookie year, then standing up to it and getting the bum rush from there.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2018, 9:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Tiger in the NFL - who was most surprising NOT to make it ]

James Davis is one of my all time favorites. He gave his all to Clemson. So wish he would have had a long NFL career. Not sure what he's doing now. He lives in the Atlanta area and coaches a young boys team but that may be volunteer work. Does anyone know?

Kenny hurt his knee...and knee surgery back then was not

Jul 30, 2018, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Tiger in the NFL - who was most surprising NOT to make it ]

what it is now...I don't think anyway.

Judge played 5 years***

Jul 30, 2018, 7:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Tiger in the NFL - who was most surprising NOT to make it ]

Some of those guys just didn't have the measurables

Jul 30, 2018, 9:00 AM

Ford was really small, Boulware was short and slow and also had really short arms. Woody didn't really have a position in the NFL.

I don't really know what happened with Tajh. He was a bit short but had all of the other physical tools so it was probably something on the mental side.

Re: Some of those guys just didn't have the measurables

Jul 30, 2018, 10:10 AM

Ford had injuries in the NFL. He had foot surgery which killed his career.

Ford csrved out a niche as a KR for a couple years

Jul 30, 2018, 7:47 PM [ in reply to Some of those guys just didn't have the measurables ]

He was hurt a lot. But he had some big plays in Oakland

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Some of those guys just didn't have the measurables

Jul 31, 2018, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Some of those guys just didn't have the measurables ]

The greatest disparity between a player's measurables and his talent belongs to Keith Adams. He was way undersized for an NFL linebacker and there was no place for him in the league.

He played lights out for my Tigers and won many accolades. Pawl Johnson would have had nightmares about his ability to disrupt the triple option.

This post made me think of Rendrick Taylor

Jul 30, 2018, 9:07 AM

There were big expectations for him at Clemson that never came to fruition ... did he get drafted ? Or was he a free agent in the NFL ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This post made me think of Rendrick Taylor

Jul 30, 2018, 10:12 AM

He went to Tampa as a free agent and didn't stick.

Boy did he ever look the part. I remember he came in right

Jul 30, 2018, 5:07 PM [ in reply to This post made me think of Rendrick Taylor ]

around the time Vernon Davis was leaving Maryland for the NFL. They both had absolutely freakish bodies and i always hoped Taylor could develop into that kind of player but it just never really happened.

Obligatory pic

Jul 30, 2018, 5:07 PM [ in reply to This post made me think of Rendrick Taylor ]

Perry Tuttle***

Jul 30, 2018, 7:12 PM

Re: Perry Tuttle***

Jul 30, 2018, 8:41 PM

Rookie of the year and then got hurt

You're thinking of Jerry Butler, Perry was never anywhere

Jul 31, 2018, 1:24 AM

near rookie of the year

Jul 30, 2018, 7:16 PM

Murray Jarman.

That is my standard answer to any Clemson trivia. One day I'll be right.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2018, 8:42 PM

He could jump

Jul 31, 2018, 5:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Tiger in the NFL - who was most surprising NOT to make it ]

????

Jul 30, 2018, 7:38 PM

I never thought Boyd had a chance in the NFL. He could not make his reads fast enough and would lock onto targets, and the NFL would have destroyed him. I always hoped he would go to the CFL, but I think he chose what made him happy. I'm pretty sure he could have made it in the CFL.

My biggest disappointment is Martavis Bryant. The man can flat out play football. If only he had the discipline he needs to have. I think he went to the Raiders this year. Hope he cleans up his act.

I always thought Woody did not manage to find his position. Being a great college QB does not always translate to the next level. I thought he could make it though.

Jul 30, 2018, 7:41 PM

Maybe Martavis still has a great career.

Jul 30, 2018, 8:20 PM

I hope so too, but in reality he is one more joint away from being a Dr.Pepper vendor if he wants to be inside an NFL stadium on Sundays. What a boneheaded waste of incredible talent. And I don't want to hear all the lame arguments about how pot should be legal. Fact is, per NFL rules right now, it ain't.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2018, 9:12 PM

He missed one season for weed and he is young. He blew it, but he has a long way to go. Hopefully he makes the most of it. He is still probably 25/26. He is such a freak athlete he could have another good 8 years. He has already had 3 good seasons. I think he has already kind of made it if he can get through another couple seasons without any trouble.

Jul 30, 2018, 8:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Tiger in the NFL - who was most surprising NOT to make it ]

????? Read the op’s thread. Bryant made it big time

I'd hate to see Stephone Anthony wind up on this list in the future

Jul 30, 2018, 7:46 PM

But at this rate, it's him and it's not even close. And truly baffling.

Guy has all the physical tools & size...
No major injuries...
Smart, disciplined, & instinctual football player...
Great tackler with good hands...
Natural leader on & off the field...

And seemed to be progressing well as a day 1 starter in NO. Hope maybe he fares better in Miami

De'Andre McDaniels

Jul 30, 2018, 8:40 PM

Now he was a player. Had some emotional letdowns off the field, but I expected him to play NFL for many years. Am I correct he is currently on Clemson payroll?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Loved DA2

Jul 30, 2018, 10:09 PM

Always admired him for coming back for his sr year. That defense was really good, we just werent the same once KP got hit at Auburn.

Surprised he didnt catch on in the NFL either. Too slow? He was certainly big enough & a hard hitter

Jul 30, 2018, 10:56 PM

Agree. Davis.

Jul 31, 2018, 8:30 AM

It's Davis for me. I always thought he was a better pure RB than Spiller in terms of vision and patience, and he had power while still managing to be fairly fast where Spiller was just pure speed. I thought he was the prototypical bell-cow RB for the NFL. Unfortunately, the lost season of '08 dropped his stock, and 6th round picks don't really get the same opportunities that higher picks do because of the lack of investment.

Deandre McDaniel

Jul 31, 2018, 9:22 AM

He was an absolute beast, will never forget him pointing out Christian Ponder. Still don't understand how he didn't make the League. I think he is a coach in some capacity at Clemson now.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic