Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tiger fans, rather have superior O or superior D??
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Tiger fans, rather have superior O or superior D??

Sep 25, 2012, 2:25 PM

This question has been on my mind the last couple of years and especially with how things have gone so far this season. Clemson football in the 80's was based on SUPERIOR defenses and an offense that could make the big play and run the ball effectively.

That being said, I love this Tigerray for putting so many games on youtube for us to enjoy and remember the past :)... Enjoy watching those Tiger defenses that used to pound the offense into the dirt!!

My opinion: give me a hard nosed, hard hitting, aggressive defense any day of the week over an explosive offense!

This year we are all going to have to accept that our offense is going to have to dominate, which they have and can, for us to win most weeks. That is just fine with me because it is reality and if we win 55-54 then so be it..

That is what we are this year and a positive is our D should make improvements over the course of the season, at least thats my hope!

Thank you, Go Tigers!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would have loved to have seen OKST in the championship

Sep 25, 2012, 2:27 PM

game last last year against one of those defenses.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: Would have loved to have seen OKST in the championship

Sep 25, 2012, 2:32 PM

I know, our D against Oregon would be cool as well... The game has changed since the 80's but look at the Alabama D and how dominate they are now, of course I would love to see our Offense against their D this year to see how good they really are :)

Hard to believe this question is posted on a Clemson site

Sep 25, 2012, 7:46 PM

DEFENSE 1st —

Watching this offense is fun, but football is meant to be a defensive game.

I know ”Today’s Game” is a different game and that is why I like the game of old, before all the changes. A more physical game. A game that was about hitting and punishing the opponent. That is what made football popular.

TD’s should not come easy. Now-a-days it is like getting a first down .
Not that thrilling when it happens 10-11 times a game

The Option may have been ugly at times, but it wasn’t embarrassing like getting pushed around or trampled.

OkSt. or Bama? Really? Hard to believe that is a serious comparison

as long as we win I don't care***

Sep 25, 2012, 2:28 PM

Agreed^^^ just looking for other fans opinions :-)

Sep 25, 2012, 2:30 PM

As the saying goes, "we are what we are"

Id be lying if I said this offense is not #### fun to watch

Sep 25, 2012, 2:45 PM

but so were the late 80's early 90's defenses.

the problem is our D now is no where near as good as........

Sep 25, 2012, 3:05 PM

our O was in the 80's / 90's. It's not an either or - we want both, but today's O with a pretty good D would be a top 10 team.

It may not be an either/or, but this year it is!!

Sep 25, 2012, 3:14 PM

Thats the point of the thread is to see what other fans think of the argument. This year it should be very apparent to even a non Clemson fan we have fantastic O and well below average defense!

Balance is always the goal but since we dont have it, would you prefer a great O or a great D....not a top 20 D or O, a top 5.

In the late 80's, early 90's we were #1 in several statistical categories, scoring defense and run defense being the highlight :)

I guess it is why I just keep coming back to the...

Sep 25, 2012, 3:18 PM

point of playing some of these raw athletes that do have ability. While there may be a dropoff in experience you do gain something by playmaking. It is kind of like Anthony was last year...

Re: I guess it is why I just keep coming back to the...

Sep 25, 2012, 3:23 PM

I am of the belief we can, and will, get better on D by doing exactly that... Brent will begin to let those horses onto the field and see exactly what kind of in-game playmaking ability they have...Maybe they dont look so good in practice and miss things here and there, but our starters routinely are out of position and unable to quickly react.... It will help to get them out there more so than it would hurt in my opinion!!

Go Tigers!!

Exactly! In baseball there is a term "Guy is a 6:00

Sep 25, 2012, 3:27 PM

hitter" Means that when the game is at 7 he disappears but looks like a million in BP. There ARE guys like that. Lights come on and they perform.

Both.***

Sep 25, 2012, 2:34 PM

rather have a mix of both.

Sep 25, 2012, 2:35 PM

watched the oregon game saturday night.their defense is as fast as their offense.which is scary

Re: Tiger fans, rather have superior O or superior D??

Sep 25, 2012, 2:39 PM

I would rather have a superior D, personally. My reasoning is:

with a superior D you don't have to score as many points, obviously.

They will get you better field position overall so you won't have to take the ball 80 yards every time. You will have many drives during the course of a season that are 50 or less yards. That helps you score more points.

They will score some.

They will get more turnovers and give you better field position.

Just my opinion.

Superior D

Sep 25, 2012, 2:45 PM

Re: Superior D

Sep 25, 2012, 2:48 PM

A top 20 D and crappy O in 2010 got us a 6-7 record.

Just sayin'

Re: Superior D

Sep 25, 2012, 5:41 PM [ in reply to Superior D ]

Defense wins. maybe if we were Big 12, I'd say offense to outscore those scoring machines. But a dominant defense in this league wins titles (Ask Bud Foster and VaTech)

The 80's were fun but boy at times it was ugly...

Sep 25, 2012, 3:23 PM

a lot of folks don't remember all of the complaining that went on about our "old man football" back in those days. I'm greedy...I want both.

Ihopehdo, I can remember that, it could be ugly...

Sep 25, 2012, 3:30 PM

To be brutally honest, at times it was hard to watch the offense...But with each punt came time for Michael Dean Perry, Chester McGlockton, Rob Bodine, Levon Kirkland, Ed McDaniel, Wayne Simmons, Brentson Buckner, and many many others...

You are so right though, we did have some trouble on the offensive side...

Yep..Chris Morocco or Tajh Boyd?

Sep 25, 2012, 3:33 PM

But then again Michael Dean Perry or Rennie Moore? ;)

Re: Yep..Chris Morocco or Tajh Boyd?

Sep 25, 2012, 3:39 PM

LOL...It could and will always be argued that Michael Dean Perry is the best Collegiate defensive lineman to ever play!! He was DOMINANT

Offense, do you remember 2010

Sep 25, 2012, 3:38 PM

Good defense and NO offense = to 6-7

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Offense, do you remember 2010

Sep 25, 2012, 3:43 PM

Good defense, not superior...Our D from late 80's wasnt good, they were GREAT! 2010 was a rough year for sure Bryanttiger

Yes those defenses from the late 80's 90

Sep 25, 2012, 4:54 PM

were unreal good. Not sure though with the game moving to an offensive game. I would rather have a good defense like 2010 and an offense like we have now. The good news is with this 2013 class of DL, we are on our way to a top 5 program

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Superior Offense always gives you a chance...........

Sep 25, 2012, 3:39 PM

prime example 2010..........our defense would hold others to 13-20 points...........when they got to the 10 point mark the game was over b/c we couldn't score to save our life........there's only so much you can do with a superior DEFENSE. Unless you're bama you have to have an offense that can put up 17-20ppg to have a shot at winning a lot of your games..........we didn't have that in 2010

Superior D always give your O a chance also, right?

Sep 25, 2012, 3:46 PM

If you can stay within a score of the opposing team then the O can have one big explosive play and boom you win. Its just for conversation because I love our offense, but looking back at our D's from the past I would love to see that again also :)

no question a superior D keeps you in the game..however.....

Sep 25, 2012, 3:53 PM

like i said unless you are bama a "good defense" these days are gonna give up 17-20 if not more, but when you have an offense like we did in 2010 once we gave up 10 points.......i knew the game was basically over b/c regardless of the opposing defense we couldn't score on a middle school team.

A superior offense however, you aren't gonna have many teams with an offense to score 35-40 on a GOOD day regardless of defense they face.........they just don't have the capability.

it can be argued either way no doubt, I just think in TODAYS college football it's better to have an explosive offense.

and btw that one "explosive" play away in 2010 was never gonna happen........we were that bad. :)

Point well made, today's game is different

Sep 25, 2012, 4:00 PM

The landscape of college football has changed drastically with the spread offense in college football today!

Our team is an offensive machine this year, I will wait patiently like many others until we can get another smash mount defense(hopefully when we have a competent offense as well lol).. On to BC!!

Go Tigers!!

Re: Tiger fans, rather have superior O or superior D??

Sep 25, 2012, 5:05 PM

D wins ball games
O sells tickets

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Isn't any "O" super?***

Sep 25, 2012, 5:07 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic