Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tiger Linebackers vs. NC State .....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,377

Tiger Linebackers vs. NC State .....

Oct 21, 2018, 5:57 PM

Several observations ..... first, I just went back to watch the game again to see if Tre Lamar played, as I did not remember seeing him or hearing his name. Indeed he did play and I heard the announcer say at least once he made the tackle. But he was not nearly as disruptive as I thought he might be, and it seemed like he did not play as much as usual .....right or wrong?

I did not see the Davis twins at all when the game was still meaningful. Usually one of them gets a lot more playing time (JE (I think)). Jaylen Williams played a lot, and played great. Of course Kendall Joseph played a lot and was pretty active. Didn't notice Shaq Smith at all, but not real unusual.

The good news is that it was not like our LB's did not play well or contribute, but the playing times and rotation just seemed a little unusual. Was this dictated by what we anticipated NC State doing? Any insight?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tiger Linebackers vs. NC State ..... I asked about Shaq

Oct 21, 2018, 6:03 PM

yesterday and was told he was in some and was the guy who stopped the fake punt. I am watching the game again as we speak

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2018, 6:22 PM

I thought that was Denzel Johnson.

Oct 21, 2018, 6:32 PM

Denzel made the tackle, but Shaq was the first guy to sniff it out and make him turn back inside.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2018, 6:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Tiger Linebackers vs. NC State ..... I asked about Shaq ]

Shaq did an excellent job of playing containment and making the guy turn in. He and Johns made the tackle I believe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tiger Linebackers vs. NC State .....

Oct 21, 2018, 6:05 PM

Tre seems to play more in running situations than passing situations.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2018, 6:22 PM

He (Lamar) did have the two sacks in the WF game, although I know he is tough against the run. I guess that is why Williams played a lot .... much more than usual. Great interception.

Oct 21, 2018, 6:33 PM

I noticed in the second half that Williams would replace Lamar in passing situations, usually on 2nd and 3rd downs. Basically like having an extra DB/LB hybrid. Williams and Simmons were on the field together a lot. Venables called a great game imo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BV made a strategic move to play Jalen at MLB more

Oct 21, 2018, 6:33 PM

which took Lamar off the field. Jalen is our best pure LB in pass coverage. Venables wanted that added dimension to the defense understanding that Finlay throws the ball a lot. Jalen's a veteran and knows all the LB positions. He's a million times better in pass coverage than Lamar so the personnel change made a lot of sense. I noticed the move very early in the game. Lamar would play first down and then he'd come off the field for Jalen on 2nd and 3rd. It was a really smart adjustment by Venables.

BV often does a lot of creative things personnel wise to turn some of the defenses' weaknesses into strengths.

Re: BV made a strategic move to play Jalen at MLB more

Oct 21, 2018, 6:38 PM

That is kind of what I thought. I knew it wasn't due to an injury. That's why BV is paid the big bucks .... very effective game plan. Guessing that is also why we did not see much of JE Davis, as his strength is against the run. Kudos to the game plan and all of the LBs ..... outstanding!

Oct 21, 2018, 6:49 PM

I remember seeing Davis get held on several outside runs with no calls. Sometimes the center would reach him and grab him around the waist and sometimes the tackle or TE would grab his jersey and he couldn’t move laterally at all.

When State went with more receivers, they would rotate

Oct 21, 2018, 6:49 PM

Williams for Lamar. Looked like they wanted two guys at Simmons' position to run the pass coverage that they wanted when certain personnel packages were on the field for State. Shaq Smith did play a bunch in the second half, although I don't recall at which LB position it was.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understood we played 85 players yesterday***

Oct 21, 2018, 7:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Linebackers used more in pass D. rather than blitzing

Oct 21, 2018, 7:18 PM

to stop the dink and dunk passing style of State QB. It worked!

Re: Linebackers used more in pass D. rather than blitzing

Oct 21, 2018, 7:32 PM

I think Coach V made a brilliant adjustment in his linebacker play. The added fast body at linebacker gave Finely something new to see. Not many of our linebackers could have made the interception so far down the field that Williams made. Brilliant move that seemingly through State off their game. The vaunted State very short passing game was not effective yesterday.

Kudos to all wearing Orange on Saturday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,377
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic