Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Throwback unis in 2020?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Throwback unis in 2020?

May 3, 2018, 10:57 AM

So was killing time @ work & it hit me that 2020 would be the 125th season of Clemson football. I remember in 1995 when it was the 100th season of Tiger football, Clemson wore throwback uniforms against UGA based on uniforma of the 1939 team that played in & won the program's 1st bowl game. They followed that up with wearing them again in 1996 against Furman (100th anniversary of Clemson's 1st football game).

Personally, I'd love to see them make a return in 2020 for @ least 1 game to commemorate 125 years of Tiger football. If they were, I could see @ home against NC State (rivalry/conference game, wouldn't see them going away from all orange against SC or all purple against Citadel since that game will most likely be military appreciation) or on road @ BC (would make sense given BC was our opponent in the 1940 Cotton Bowl).

So my question to the TNet faithful...would you like to see the Cotton Bowl throwbacks make a return in 2020 & what game would you like for or think they'll appear?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Throwback unis in 2020?

May 3, 2018, 11:10 AM

yeah!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2018, 1:09 PM

I dont get the hate for the purple pants they looked good and I used to use them all the time in the NCAA games

May 3, 2018, 1:46 PM

Give me the unis they wore when they won the natty in 2017.

More along these lines, folks...

May 3, 2018, 4:32 PM

Nm

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: More along these lines, folks...

May 3, 2018, 4:50 PM

Like digging up grandma to see what she looks like...Not a good idea...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

is that navy blue?

May 3, 2018, 5:19 PM [ in reply to More along these lines, folks... ]

can't really tell. but I think and all navy with orange trim jersey/pants combo wouldn't be too bad. but I don't like the cross design on the helmets. maybe just a navy helmet with a orange stripe down the middle?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: is that navy blue?

May 3, 2018, 5:48 PM

The point of a throwback uniform is you can’t change it. If that is what the design was, that is what it was. We can’t amend history.

Overall, I sort of like this idea for our 125th season. And maybe it would be cool to do it against the coots since we played them back in those days. They can wear one of their old hideous uniform combinations. Goodness knows they have plenty of them to choose from.

Re: More along these lines, folks...

May 3, 2018, 7:41 PM [ in reply to More along these lines, folks... ]

Seriously they were so ugly the Internet doesn’t even keep good pictures of them

May 3, 2018, 6:14 PM

Not huge on alternate uniforms, but some schools have done it classy before. I’d be ok with an actual throw back on a rare ocasion. Just don’t get too cute with them and not more than once a year or every other year.

Message was edited by: EEtigerstripe

May 3, 2018, 6:15 PM

Also would a small paw helmet count as throwback? ESPN certainly wouldn’t notice a difference

Not just no h3ll no...

May 3, 2018, 8:11 PM

Teams play badly in those throwback uniforms unless they are very similar to the modern ones. You spend weeks of practice and games, throwing to an Orange helmet or tackling someone in a different color helmet, then suddenly you have to change your mindset. It causes that micro-second gap that results in big plays for your opponent. It doesn't work unless you are constantly changing uniforms like Oregon.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic