Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ND and ACC Revenue
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

ND and ACC Revenue

Dec 3, 2018, 9:54 PM

Does ND get a cut of the ACC revenue from Clemson representing the ACC and then gets to keep all of their share?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ND and ACC Revenue

Dec 3, 2018, 9:59 PM

Nope. For football, it's only a scheduling type deal. ND keeps all the revenue they get on their side and dont get any from the ACC side.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sorry, but this article says otherwise

Dec 3, 2018, 10:04 PM

Notre Dame Collects $5.8 Million From ACC Deal

The Notre Dame athletic department will collect $5.8 million from the ACC according a story released yesterday.

According to the report, the ACC generated over $410 million in revenue for 2017 — a 12% increase from the previous year. The average amount paid to each program for the year was $26.6 million, which was roughly a 10.5-percent increase from the previous year’s total.

The payoff for the Irish is substantially less due to its “part time” status as an ACC member. While being a full time member in basketball (and most other sports), Notre Dame is only required to play five ACC games in football. The other 14 teams in the conference play 8. This allows the Irish to schedule games against teams like Michigan and USC — for huge television dollars — as Notre Dame is still one of the biggest college football draws in the country.

Aside from its ACC money, Notre Dame also has a television deal with NBC that runs through 2025 and pays $15 million annually — a deal that has been in place since 1991. Notre Dame is also not obligated to share any payouts from bowl appearances that other ACC schools are obligated to share.

You can expect the money to continue to grow as well. The long anticipated ACC Network is scheduled to launch in August of 2019 and ad revenue will most likely be huge. Next year will also mark the first time the conference goes to a 20 game conference slate in basketball, which will generate more ad revenue.

While the numbers for the ACC look somewhat gaudy, it pales in comparison to the SEC. In 2016 the average distribution to SEC schools was north of $40 million — 41-percent higher than the average ACC payout. For 2017, the SEC’s average payout increased by roughly $1 million per program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: sorry, but this article says otherwise

Dec 3, 2018, 10:16 PM

Well, looks like I was wrong. Haha Still, the majority of that payout is from general ACC revenue. 5.8M is a pretty small next to $400M.

Message was edited by: NDfan5175

Message was edited by: NDfan5175

Re: sorry, but this article says otherwise

Dec 3, 2018, 10:17 PM

I was surprised the Football money wasn’t any more than what it was. If I read it correctly, ND would earn $5 million more(if they joined the conf for football) from the ACC TV package next year versus what they have now.

Message was edited by: baker5801®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ND gets a 20% of a full member's cut of media revenue.

Dec 3, 2018, 10:24 PM

Bowl payouts are separate for each.

The ACC Network will benefit from hosting ND games at ACC venues, where ND will still only pocket 20% of what the other 14 programs get off of that network revenue.

ND is paying a media price for football independence in the greater scheme of things, but it let's them play all over the country against whoever they want mostly.

And for real? Our media deal is almost 20% higher just with ND's partial than it was before, yet they still only get the fraction. This has been a good deal for us so far.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Based on the info in this thread

Dec 4, 2018, 3:41 AM

It would appear Notre Dame's part-time ACC affiliation costs it about $5.8 million. That's based on $15 million from the NBC deal and the $5.8 from the ACC, for a total of $20.8 million, rather than $26.6. Now, keeping all the bowl money is a wild card...dependent upon the bowl they go to. The flip side, there are eleven ACC teams in bowls and every ACC program gets a 'slice' of each.

Bottom line, at this point, ACC inclusion, full-time, is a wash, monetarily, but gives ND scheduling flexibility. Of course it's early...or late, so I likely missed something.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thread on Twitter today

Dec 4, 2018, 6:59 AM

That Woody Whitehurst was involved in (great follow if you’re not already) with an ND writer I believe who said that they could make more money by joining a conference’s media deal but the amount of donations they would lose by giving up their independence would dwarf whatever they gained in media rights revenues.

Re: Thread on Twitter today

Dec 4, 2018, 7:09 AM

That Woody Whitehurst was involved in (great follow if you’re not already) with an ND writer I believe who said that they could make more money by joining a conference’s media deal but the amount of donations they would lose by giving up their independence would dwarf whatever they gained in media rights revenues.

That is vary short sighted. Withdrawing donations for independence would only last a few years. Especially if your winning. Conference revenues are long term deals.

null

Dec 4, 2018, 7:14 AM

The ND writer disagreed because your exact point was brought up. He said it was something ND alumni would never forgive and the amount of money they would lose would not be made up (they make around $700 mil annually from donations)

Dec 4, 2018, 7:16 AM

There is no way they get $700 Million a year in donations. Maybe $70 Million.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2018, 8:26 AM

Read the thread instead of just dismissing everything I say that is based on what someone familiar with ND (and graduated from law school there) is saying.

https://twitter.com/petesampson_/status/1069681016686694401?s=21

Dec 4, 2018, 8:31 AM

I don’t care WHO tweeted it, that’s just plane BS. Check out this link....

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/notre-dame-to-get-100-million-from-alumnus-kenneth-ricci.html

100 million is the biggest single gift ever, but they raise $700 million a year? Bull.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ND is a huge school

Dec 4, 2018, 8:39 AM

With a massive alumni network and also a huge following by those who didn’t go to a major school (northeast Catholics overwhelmingly) who also give them money.

Walk me through how one person giving $100mil means they can’t possibly raise $700mil annually from athletic and academic donations.

They have 135k alumni and an endowment of $11 billion. They’re playing with F you money

Re: ND is a huge school

Dec 4, 2018, 8:45 AM

I would have to see those numbers in an official release of money raised from ND to believe they exist. I looked and couldn’t find anything like that on a google search.

A one time gift of $100 million is biggest ever, there just aren’t enough givers to raise 700 million a year. I am in the middle of ND catholic territory and I see a lot of ND shirts, I know of 1 family that actually donates and attends games. Most never went to college and pick ND to follow because it’s the catholic “thing to do”.

Dec 4, 2018, 8:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Thread on Twitter today ]

I live near Notre Dame and know many alumni locally and where I work in Chicago. They give very very very liberaly to their school and look out for their own. I agree that for those that give to the general endowment / special non-sport projects will give no matter what. But the big money athletic boosters would hold back if they joined us commoners - at least until they started getting embarrassed on the field again.

"The most likely use of the money, he said, will be for financial aid. Notre Dame costs more than $69,000 a year but three-quarters of the undergraduate students get financial aid. Dugard said the university is currently aiming to raise $1 billion for financial aid in a capital campaign that has so far raised $3.5 billion"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2018, 8:47 AM

I saw that link. That is a SEVEN year one time capital campaign. Not an every year donation.

Dec 4, 2018, 7:14 AM [ in reply to Thread on Twitter today ]

That’s just rationalization. Coming up with a reason to justify a position. There is no way anyone would quit donating because you join a conference. They could still schedule teams outside of the ACC. There are 4 slots available. So keep USC and Stanford, Keep Navy, and you have one other game for a Big Ten team.

Dec 4, 2018, 8:01 AM

Thanks for all the updates. I just cant buy that donations would stop if ND football joined the ACC. That's like saying IPTAY would have dried up if Clemson had gone to the SEC like was discussed many years back (Not going to happen). It appears ND will start losing significant money as far as TV revenue once the ACC network kicks in high gear and their NBC contract expires. At least the ACC should use it to get ND or eliminate all the other sports as well. Nothing personal, just business.

Dec 4, 2018, 8:13 AM

ND got a sweetheart deal from NBC because NBC was losing college football to CBS and ESPN. Not sure if they will get the same deal moving forward, or if they would benefit more from joining a conference. Big 10 could pay more than the ACC. And I know that current contract with the ACC says they must join the ACC, but that will expire at some point too.

That’s extremely reductive

Dec 4, 2018, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Thread on Twitter today ]

And also not a similar situation. Going from one conference to another isn’t the same as going from an independent into a conference.

The university as a whole, both academic and athletic, values their independence and if insiders and alums say it would hurt them financially, I’m going to believe them over people on Tnet shooting opinions from the hip.

Re: That’s extremely reductive

Dec 4, 2018, 8:41 AM

There is no doubt Notre Dame prefers independence. If not, they would have already joined a conference. Without the NBC contract they risk losing relevance as an independent. Times change. There is no guarantee that NBC will renew that contract, which already pays less per year than what SEC and Big 10 member schools get yearly.

Dec 4, 2018, 8:47 AM

But you’re working under the assumption that they value the TV $ coming in over all the other revenue they generate as an institution.

I’m not naive enough to believe that if they joined a conference in football, all their giving alumni would stop giving. But I’d be willing to bet that these are conversations that have been had with top boosters trying to gauge their opinion and the consequences of them joining a conference.

I think it’s also a safe assumption that they know their TV deal as an independent won’t be able to compete with TV revenues from the major conferences but they know they have backing from a wide, national base of fundraisers.

They were serving duck crepes at their football facility playoff watch party for God’s sake.

Dec 4, 2018, 8:59 AM

No, I am working under the assumption that if you aren’t on TV you aren’t getting the best recruits. And if you don’t get great recruits you aren’t winning at a high level. And if your football team is bad, donations dry up.

Unless you plan to go full on Ivy League.

Does anyone have an idea

Dec 4, 2018, 9:13 AM

What the annual AVERAGE contribution to Clemson is, on a per-contributor basis?

Regarding Notre Dame and the $700 million/year. If using the 135K alums, only, that's an average of $5185/year/donor. Obviously, some contribute much more...others less. Likewise, let's say non-alum followers are equal to the alumni total...so now we're 270K annual donors and average contribution just shy of $2600/donor. Is that not plausible? One $100K donor covers 1000 donors sending in $100 each.

Does it make sense that a significant portion of the Irish contribution well would dry up upon joining a conference? Did joining the ACC to the extent they have result in donation shrinkage? Is there any possibility the reason football wasn't 'all in' with the ACC related to their contract with NBC and that network's objection? Face it, a national audience is important to NBC...not regional games in the southeast.

My sense is there's more than meets the eye here, but upon expiration of the NBC contract, things may very well change to full membership. That said...the likelihood of CFP expansion around the same time could be a factor, too...mostly for remaining independent, since risk is somewhat reduced. Somewhat.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does anyone have an idea

Dec 4, 2018, 9:40 AM

For ND, about 1/3 of alumni give. That data is readily available via google search. So triple your rates. I still don’t buy the $700 million yearly. I did find numbers from 2 years ago, it showed a number less than 1/2 that with a large 1 time contribution making up 1/3 of the number.

Dec 4, 2018, 4:00 PM [ in reply to That’s extremely reductive ]

Then they should be independent and not partially ACC. Swofford needs to draw a line in the sand (end of current contract) and say all sports in or bye! The ACC doesn't need them and I'm sure they don't need the ACC.

Dec 4, 2018, 4:18 PM

The deal with Notre Dame is a huge windfall for the ACC. We get significantly more TV revenue because of it. We will not be telling ND to "leave". If they do it will be ND's decision.

Dec 4, 2018, 6:37 PM

I'm not buying the mystic. How much money did each ACC Team receive because of the ND contract with NBC? I'm sure each school received less than the $5.8M we paid them. We don't need them.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic