Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
End of year press conference with Monte
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

End of year press conference with Monte

Jun 18, 2019, 11:16 PM

Why not live? I’d like to actually hear his answers instead of transcripts. We got one with Brownell.

It’s nice to know that he was disappointed about the season. I would hope anything short of a competitive super to be a disappointment.

I see in the transcripts that he needed to improve from first half of season to second half... well duh. How does he plan on accomplishing this?

Did any reporter ask Monte if he would consider changing his hitting strategy or hiring a hitting coach?

Did anyone press him on why pitching has seemed to get worse each year? Or press him more on why he didn’t think staff changes were in order?

Did anyone press him on what it’s going to take to get 4-5 top 100 guys to come play for Clemson like they did under Wilhelm and leggett? And now they’re going to LSU, Florida, vandy, etc... and why our recruiting rankings are middle acc?

I’m not necessarily saying we do or don’t need these changes but it’d be nice to hear what the baseball experts say...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: End of year press conference with Monte

Jun 19, 2019, 5:45 AM

How dare you challenge Drod's golden boy with legitimate questions?
Shame on you!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2019, 5:55 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKYsKbMCPGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev3Kum-XJ68

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl4SN_2E2gc

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2019, 7:09 AM

Thanks DSP. TCI or the official website usually posts it but I couldn’t find it. Can’t wait to listen to it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2019, 7:38 AM

Don’t waist your time on it!

At end of the day etc etc

We eat pressure like candy!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2019, 7:56 AM

smfh you and vizcoot need to get a room, snuggle up, and figure out how you are going to get rid of our coach. you 2 seem to be the leaders of that pack.

Jun 19, 2019, 8:09 AM

WhTever I would be thrilled to get rid of the wanna be coot coach Lee!

Please explain why you think he should stay ?

There are thousands that want him gone not just us 2

Thousands? Come on man !! Monte has had success

Jun 19, 2019, 1:12 PM

every where he has coached. No reason to think he cant here. Pretty sure his hitting philosophy is not based on 500 strikeouts!! If a change is needed its pitching coach. Something is off in that department. See runs same guys out there with same results.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thousands? Come on man !! Monte has had success

Jun 19, 2019, 1:18 PM

One super regional in his career of coaching ?

Yeh he’s successful alright!! O fer!

You like to complain about coaches

Jun 19, 2019, 1:38 PM

regardless of the sport.

Since you obviously don't care for Monte Lee, who do you think Clemson should go after who would fit your criteria?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: You like to complain about coaches

Jun 19, 2019, 2:30 PM

Fire brownell first

Then Lee !

Dabo is great!

D rad f Ed up firing a legend! Many coaches turned down this job because of this!
Had to settle for Lee because he was once on coot staff!

So at this point I don’t know who to get but don’t trust d rad tonhire or fire anyone

Jun 19, 2019, 9:27 AM

Monte is too stubborn to make changes to his staff. Unless our hitting approach changes,baserunning improves and pitchers develop rather than regress the entire staff is soon to be really questioned by anyone who really understands the game. My biggest concern is the obvious disconnect between the staff and the players. It is getting a little old blaming the failure on Leggett's players. Monte accomplished far less this year with fewer of Leggett's players. Year five next year and time to quit blaming it on Leggett. For the record I am not a Leggett lover. He had a great run but it was time for him to go. I hope Monte turns it around but I see nothing that makes me think it will happen.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2019, 12:46 PM

I actually appreciate your response. Not everyone will accept it and, I’m not sure if it’s stubborn or not but certainly a consideration. Thanks for sharing.

What I do agree with is this is the year. I listened to some of the presser so far and it’s like he’s saying, we need to improve all this but never hear nuts and bolts. He says hitting got to improve... I’d like to see him answer how that’s gonna happen...

Now, he has had some good recruiting classes last two years and this year. We should start seeing the fruits of that this spring.

My analysis is this:

Jun 19, 2019, 1:36 PM

We need to hit better in order to score more runs.

We need to pitch better in order to give up fewer runs.

The fact that both of these crucial areas needs improvement is probably a result of recruiting and coaching. My hunch is that the talent level, which was also hindered by injuries, is mostly to blame.

I don't know how we get more talent. While we have a great baseball history at Clemson, we haven't really been nationally relevant in over a decade. We can talk about our proud baseball program all we want, but to today's recruits, we are irrelevant. The new facilities should help recruit better players, but those are new. They won't make their full impact on recruiting for another 2-3 years.

I realize that everyone is down and upset, but the sky is not falling. We have a good coach, and by all indications, he has a good staff. We don't need to blow up the staff and start over. That rarely works. This is only year four, not year fourteen.

I'm not a baseball expert by any stretch, so take these thoughts with a huge grade of slaw.

Message was edited by: Judge Keller®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Please define what it takes to be nationally relevant

Jun 19, 2019, 3:27 PM

Your statement was "we haven't really been nationally relevant in over a decade."

-Made the CWS in 2010
-Made the NCAA tournament every year since we missed it in 2008 (I think that was 2008?)
-Won the ACC in 2016
-Won our ACC division in 2018

What have we not done "in over a decade" that would have made us nationally relevant?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Please define what it takes to be nationally relevant

Jun 19, 2019, 5:35 PM

Thanks GWP. Appreciate the input.

So you're saying Monte needs more money for

Jun 19, 2019, 3:43 PM [ in reply to My analysis is this: ]

assistant coach salaries and support staff positions, and the administration needs to continue the emphasis on facility upgrades?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: So you're saying Monte needs more money for

Jun 19, 2019, 6:03 PM

Wasn’t clear who the Monte needs more money message was directed but I think he should have the best available facilities... then again I’m all for Clemson having the best facilities for every sport.

Re: My analysis is this:

Jun 19, 2019, 5:34 PM [ in reply to My analysis is this: ]

I appreciate your input. I too don’t think the sky is falling.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic