Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on the WFU Game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Thoughts on the WFU Game

Sep 14, 2020, 10:14 AM

- Outside of some boneheaded mistakes by the DBs, I was pleasantly surprised by how sharp the 1st team looked out the gate. Would've been very excusable after the offseason we've had for them to struggle some out the gate but TL looked sharp, ETN was ETN, and the D was in shut-down form already. I was half expecting a close game until the 3rd quarter but you could the team was dialed in and ready to play!

- Amari Rodgers looks like he's stepped up his game. With Tee and Ross gone, he was kind of overlooked as a returning WR--not anymore!

- D-line looked back to being nasty, even with Foster and XT out! Bresee and Murphy were as good as advertised and KJ Henry looks like he's going to be a major force this year! Hope Tyler Davis's injury isn't anything major.

- How great is it to have a TE passing game again?! Great to have Galloway back but we had a guy who's never even caught a TD in Chalk make a #### of a TD grab! Hope we keep that up!

- Skalski is going to have an All-ACC caliber year. He was all over the field from the first play he got into the game in the 3rd quarter. Bentley had a great game too, excited to see him come along. Think the LB corps is going to be really solid this year.

- The kicking game was fantastic and a welcome surprise! Potter drilling those long FGs was awesome to watch--hopefully we won't need him to make any GW kicks this year but helps to have that up your sleeve! Also don't remember any of our KOs being returned! Great night for the special teams!

- Spector looks like he's going to be able to carry on the #13 torch just fine.

- Outside of Rodgers, going to need some more consistency from the WRs. We played a lot of them Saturday night so excusable that they weren't all in rhythm but there were some drops, particularly from Ladson that should get fixed.

- I thought the offensive play calling, particularly in the first half was fantastic. I've heard for a long time that Elliott was more of the brains of the Co-OC system and I kind of wonder if handing over the reins fully to him is going to be a net gain for the Offense. That draw play on 3rd-and-10 that ETN took inside the 5 was a fantastic play call.

- Was a bit surprised to see Rencher as the first RB off the bench but I thought he played well. Gotta figure they trust him in pass pro more than the younger guys who traveled Sat so I'm guessing that made the difference.

- Didn't see really any separation between the backup QBs. I guess Uiagalelei is technically 2nd string but didn't he looks significantly better than Phommachanh. Taisun had a few more opportunities to throw by my recollection but didn't think either looked particularly better than the other.

- Missed having Kendrick at CB. Overall, DB was our biggest glaring weakness on Sat. Got a long of young talent back there but they were playing like young talent on Saturday. Thought Booth played okay but hoping having Kendrick back in the lineup will help out.

- Overall a really solid win. If you watched other CFB games on Saturday, not a lot of teams played anyone even as good as WFU and the ones who did didn't look like the Tigers. Texas and Oklahoma both won big but played a mediocre and bad team, respectively. The rest of the Big 12? Woof... #23 Iowa St lost BIG to Billy Napier and the Ragin' Cajuns, Kansas St lost to Arkansas St, and Les Miles and Kansas lost to Coastal Carolina for the second year in a row!

FSU looks to be mired in mediocrity still as they lost to a rebuilding GT squad. Notre Dame pulled out their first ACC win against Duke but honestly struggled more than they should have.

UNC rolled pretty easily over Syracuse, Louisville had a 14-point win over Western KY and Pitt beat Austin Peay 55-0.

We've still got another weekend until the SEC starts playing but IMO, Clemson still looks like the best team in the land.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree with all of your points.

Sep 14, 2020, 10:22 AM

Amari’s physicality has increased greatly. He’s in for a huge year!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Thoughts on the WFU Game

Sep 14, 2020, 10:22 AM

Ladson is a very good WR and while I think he will step-up and be a reliable target for TL this year, he certainly didn't have one of his better games at Wake.

The TE's were targeted eight times Saturday. Very happy to see that.

Rencher was the first RB off the bench because JynJ didn't play. He could have played but the coaches elected to hold him.

I was more surprised that DJ was the first QB off the bench instead of Phommachanh.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Lyn-J was held out as a precaution because of a nagging

Sep 14, 2020, 10:25 AM

knee injury. That's why Rencher was the #2.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

I know Dixon was out--I meant ahead of all the younger

Sep 14, 2020, 12:43 PM

guys who I think we all agree have more upside - Bowman and Pryor, and Mellusi and Dukes (who didn't even travel with the team).

Figured those guys would come in before Rencher, even with Dixon out, but I think he got the nod for pass protection.

Sep 14, 2020, 10:33 AM

Thought Amari needs to quit falling when catching the ball and should have made the touchdown catch at the back of the endzone, but glad we have him and hope he has a monster year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought he did a good job of

Sep 14, 2020, 10:37 AM

batting that ball down

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

I'd rather him not catch that than have a

Sep 14, 2020, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts on the WFU Game ]

Mike Williams type injury. There's lots of football left to be played, and we need Amari on the field. He needs to do a good job of protecting himself in the relatively meaningless games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Thoughts on the WFU Game- Rencher

Sep 14, 2020, 11:35 AM

is he on scholarship now or is he still a walk on?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 14, 2020, 11:56 AM

Very good thoughts OP. Two things where I disagree and other comments,

I don't trust Potter at all and refuse to allow this no-pressure game to change my opinion. Obviously we all hope he has turned a corner.

DJ is clearly ahead of Taisun and the gap will grow. I wish him the best, but Taisun doesn't look like a D1 QB to me. DJ is on his way to greatness.

The key to our offense this season is TEs taking up the slack for our developing outside WRs. Amari has the 5-spot locked down but I'm very concerned about the field and boundary positions.

Good to see Bowman get so many plays and carries.

What a dumpster fire for the Big 12. Just wow.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DJ is "ahead" of Taisun in the sense that he's been here

Sep 14, 2020, 12:36 PM

much less time but based on the very limited sample size I've seen of them in action, I don't think there's much, if any, separation at this point.

I think we all know DJ has the higher ceiling and ultimately will likely be our next great QB but it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Sep 14, 2020, 1:39 PM

great analysis, thanks for taking the time. I like Rencher as a runner he has always been a surprise for me, solid runner and pass blocker. ETN still hasn't quite got that part down as he throws his shoulder into it, he is way better at knowing who to pick up and what his responsibility is.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic