Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on proposed merger of MUSC & College of Charleston?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Thoughts on proposed merger of MUSC & College of Charleston?

Feb 8, 2014, 4:55 PM

Also throw The Charleston Law School in the deal as well. I wish the lawmakers would let Clemson obtain these schools. Too many coots to let this happen. Anybody think CoC could start a football program?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow I am ashamed

Feb 8, 2014, 5:16 PM

I didn't even know this was a thing. I am interested to know how this would affect musc tie to SCAR. If it does separate it would be a big hurt to scar who bases the success of the medical undergrad programs on the ties to musc. I would guess charleston university would become the #1 school for med undergrads in state.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

SCU's medical degrees are by far the best they have to offer

Feb 8, 2014, 5:19 PM

outside of their medical degrees and post grad international business program, an SCU degree is about as good as a high school diploma.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MUSC is not part of the USC system

Feb 8, 2014, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Wow I am ashamed ]

Despite the similarity in names

Re:Duke, Emory, and MUSC are considered the top three

Feb 8, 2014, 5:52 PM

medical schools in the Southeast. USC's medical school has a poor reputaton nationally.

What about unc, Bowman-Gray, UVa???

Feb 8, 2014, 6:50 PM

would UVa's Med school be considered in the Southeast??

all those schools have sterling reputations as research and teaching hospitals,

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UGA doesn't have a medical school.***

Feb 8, 2014, 8:12 PM

They are opening one with a partnership with Georgia Regents

Feb 9, 2014, 10:01 AM

this year might be their first class.

This is a joke, right?

Feb 8, 2014, 7:09 PM [ in reply to Re:Duke, Emory, and MUSC are considered the top three ]

Outside of the state of SC, no one makes any distinction between USC and MUSC as far as where you went to medical school. USC and MUSC have similar MCAT scores and national board scores for their students.

Putting MUSC on the same level as Duke and Emory as far as national reputation is about the same as putting the Gamecocks up there with Alabama and Florida.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is a joke, right?

Feb 8, 2014, 7:26 PM

MUSC politely took over USC's pharmacy school because it was so horrible. http://academicdepartments.musc.edu/development/help/pharmacy.html

Maybe you should inform USC that MUSC "took over"

Feb 8, 2014, 8:04 PM

looks like it was a merger to me as it is on USC's website. If not, please provide something to back up your assertion other than a link.

http://www.sccp.sc.edu

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe you should inform USC that MUSC "took over"

Feb 8, 2014, 9:30 PM

I don't have any incentive to argue with a fellow tiger fan but as a hint, my surname begins with a "K" and ends witha a "Y" That's all I have to say on the matter.

http://kennedycenter.sc.edu/

still have not seen one shred of concrete evidence

Feb 8, 2014, 10:00 PM

to back up what you said.

And I have had medical training at USC, Emory, and MUSC. And I did it without nepotism.

Re: still have not seen one shred of concrete evidence

Feb 8, 2014, 10:30 PM

????
Good for you. I have a JD from UF.

USC school of med and MUSC are two totally different things***

Feb 8, 2014, 5:29 PM [ in reply to Wow I am ashamed ]

Gosh I hope not.

Feb 8, 2014, 5:26 PM

I get chemo treatments at MUSC, and I could do without CofC kids being in charge of my well being.

Re: Thoughts on proposed merger of MUSC & College of Charleston?

Feb 8, 2014, 5:39 PM

My random thoughts:

The talk of merging The Citadel, MUSC, and The CofC has been around for over 20 years.

The College of Charleston has had its name since 1770 and some idiots in Columbia with absolutely no ties to the school propose in legislation that the college rename itself ? There's already a University of Charleston in WV with the same school colors and they have a football team.

The CofC had a football team and disbanded it before WWII.

I don't see the state buying a private law school for too many reason that I won't get into here, but the state government is trying to get rid of tenured professors due to costs. The purpose of merging is to reduce costs.

And MUSC (Med College of SC) has been around since 1820s

Feb 8, 2014, 7:19 PM

Hate to see them lose that name and national brand.

Horrible idea

Feb 8, 2014, 6:42 PM

I work at Medical College of Georgia (officially called Georgia Regents University) which recently merged with small liberal arts college in town called Augusta State and changed the name of both to GRU. Nobody likes the change. MCG is a very old and well respected institution, but nobody knows what this new GRU is. Merging probably won't hurt CofC but will certainly hurt MUSC, especially if they change the name.

Re: One of the best burn centers in the world.***

Feb 8, 2014, 6:53 PM

Wrong Augusta Hospital

Feb 9, 2014, 9:59 AM

GRU doesn't have the burn center. Thats Doctors in Augusta.

The new med school in Greenville should be Clemson not

Feb 8, 2014, 6:46 PM

Univ of second chances which already runs a subpar med school in Columbia. If I ever become CEO of Greenville Memorial I'm going to switch the affiliation.

My grandson who is a pre pharmacy student at Clemson with a

Feb 8, 2014, 7:22 PM

4.0 and the President's list every semester, just got accepted at MUSC Pharmacy School.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good deal. My wife graduated from MUSC Pharmacy School

Feb 9, 2014, 12:23 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Names wouldn't change, but schools would function under one

Feb 8, 2014, 7:36 PM

governing body. Not sure how that is detrimental to either school. I have my BSN from MUSC and would not be the slightest concerned about the effect on my degree. It would be an easier way to streamline students from undergrad though post-graduate degrees and cut overhead. I'm not saying I'm jumping on the "do it now!" wagon, but I need to know why its a bad idea other than some guy referencing schools in augusta and his opinion (no offense meant).
As far as sports, whatever. Charleston is an easy town to sell, but its not like recruits are busting down the door to play on John Kresse court.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Saying here it would be called Charleston University

Feb 8, 2014, 9:06 PM

And there is talk of folding in the law school, too

Wish Clemson would take over Charleston School of Law

Feb 8, 2014, 8:06 PM

Not going to happen, but that would be a great opportunity for Clemson. Even though their law school isn't that good, Scar has a lot of influence in the legislature, etc. because of it. If Clemson took over Charleston's law school, they could make it better than SCar's within a few years. I know it's in Charleston, but we already have Architecture programs there and it's not unheard of for a law school to be in a different place than the undergrad campus. As to the argument that we already have enough lawyers; yes, we do, but having Clemson take over a school that already exists wouldn't add to the number, it would just make them better.

Re: Wish Clemson would take over Charleston School of Law

Feb 8, 2014, 10:01 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the Charleston School of Law was recently sold (apparently some of the profs weren't happy about it)....I wondered if Clemson was aware the school was for sale. It would certainly have been an opportunity for our university to acquire a law school and upg.rade it academically...although state legislators/politics would've had to get involved and I think we pretty much know that outcome

I don't know enough about it to be able to make a judgement on quality, but I'm pretty sure I read that the Charleston School of Law had been accredited.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2014, 8:10 PM

According to the media, College of Charleston Board of Trustees (and Bobby Harrell) are really pushing it while MUSC is against it. Seems Harrell is pushing to have the state legislature pass a law that would force MUSC to merge with C of C.

Feb 8, 2014, 9:08 PM

College of Charleston would probably love it. MUSC would fight it tooth and nail. That would mean that they would have to operate by state procurement, nepotism, and double employment rules that they get a waiver on now.

Musc

Feb 8, 2014, 9:21 PM

The new campus in Greenville was a well planned expansion of USC into the upstate. MUSC is trying to do the same thing since they were beat to the punch. Word is there will be 3rd and 4th year medical students beginning their clinicals at an upstate location with proximity to Clemson. The eventual plan as I understood it was this is the groundwork for MUSC opening a full 4-year upstate medical campus, and use Clemson as the site for their book years and AnMed as their clinical site.

Also, MUSC is a great school, and the best of the 3 medical schools in SC, but I wouldn't say top 3 in the southeast. Whoever said that is forgetting (as much as it pains me) UNC, UVA, Vanderbilt. Certainly Duke and Emory are there too, and I might even put Miami or UF on par with MUSC, but that is all good company to be in. Great medical schools. USC-M is a decent school as well. And PCOM in Georgia is a strong campus as well.

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

Re: Musc

Feb 9, 2014, 1:23 AM

No biggie but 4 medical schools in SC now. Don't forget about the new school in Spartanburg. It's at least an ACC school branch haha

It will surely not have an on campus stadium.***

Feb 8, 2014, 10:23 PM

Re: It will surely not have an on campus stadium.***

Feb 8, 2014, 10:34 PM

I imagine that Patriots Point would be used for the field. Their baseball field is located there.

It's a horrible idea.

Feb 9, 2014, 1:08 AM

MUSC has been around since 1824, was the first medical school in the south, and has a lot of clout in the medical world. SC is very fortunate to have it. You don't throw away that reputation and name recognition.

The reasoning given for this is because having a strong research university in Charleston is key for economic development. That's silly. Besides, for a city so big on history and so proud of its past, throwing away the hard earned identities of these schools would be way out of character.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic