Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on Wake Forest & ACC Revenue Splits
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 51

Thoughts on Wake Forest & ACC Revenue Splits

Mar 20, 2019, 10:58 PM

Great university with great students, but you know where this post is going. Is Wake attempting to compete in ACC sports? Are they contributing any skin to the game athletically and financially or are they freeloading? Does Wake need to be competing against Davidson, William & Mary, The Citadel, others?

Do Wake, Duke and some other ACC institutions use their football revenue split from Clemson and formerly FSU to fund most of their sports programs? What is your take TNet?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wake is an Original member of the ACC.

Mar 20, 2019, 11:02 PM

Also great academic school. Over the years they have had some very good teams and players. Does not make sense to get rid of wake for the new flavor of the month.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Founding member of the ACC

Mar 21, 2019, 3:44 AM

They should not go any where and they won't.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let this sink in...Wake has won the ACC in football and

Mar 21, 2019, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Wake is an Original member of the ACC. ]

Miami has not.

Wake has the most recent ACC football championship in the state of North Carolina. More recent than UNC, NC state and Duke.

They will compete again in basketball, they just have to get the right coach.

Must be a good school, as they were the only ACC school that I know of mentioned in the recent FBI sting involving parents paying to get their kids admitted.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They won an ACC championship game & played in a BCS bowl before us.

Mar 20, 2019, 11:04 PM

Yes, the deserve their split & can use it how they want.

“To See a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.” WB

Re: Thoughts on Wake Forest & ACC Revenue Splits

Mar 20, 2019, 11:16 PM

Yes. Yes. No. Possibly.

I'm glad they are in the ACC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wake has invested a lot into its FB program over the last 20 years.

Mar 20, 2019, 11:20 PM

Wake just went to three straight bowls for the first time in school history. They got a solid coach and have made significant investments in facilities and their stadium. I’d say they are trying to be competitive and have reinvested money to accomplish the goal. I’m prouder of them than GT, who till recently didn’t believe it could climber higher than Paul Johnson.

Re: Wake has invested a lot into its FB program over the last 20 years.

Mar 21, 2019, 1:09 AM

Duke hasn’t won an ACC title in football in 30 years, UNCheat hasn’t won one in 39 years, Nancy Tate in 40 years. Syracuse, Pitt, BC & Miami all own zero titles. Virginia has 2 shared titles in their history. Wake has 2 outright titles in their history, the last one 13 years ago. I’m cool with Wake.

Are ACC titles the best thing to go by?

Mar 21, 2019, 3:15 PM

Because nobody else is winning one for the rest of Dabo's career.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they are the defending national champion in men's tennis

Mar 21, 2019, 1:23 AM

Also won a national championship in men's soccer a few years ago.

Plus their football program actually has been competitive in recent years

Wake is the only remaining school to vote no to Clemson's

Mar 21, 2019, 4:22 AM

extra year of probation imposed by the ACC

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The other was Maryland. Their "no" votes were the

Mar 21, 2019, 5:38 AM

original cast, but both received intense pressure in the final vote cast by the faculty reps...pressure which, I always thought, amounted to threats to side with the pro voters.

Generally, Frank Howard and "Peahead" Walker of Wake were close friends, and the CU and Wake folks got along well.

Hence, I would strongly oppose any efforts to oust Wake or denigrate their role in the ACC.

Mar 21, 2019, 7:10 AM

i would say wake is very competitive in many sports. they sure have more tradition in basketball than we do. they are in the acc. really kind of a stupid argument imo. wake is and will be in acc as long as they like.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly

Mar 21, 2019, 9:14 PM

They probably ask the same thing about us during basketball season

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Exactly

Mar 21, 2019, 9:42 PM

No Not Wake! Not since the Chris Paul's and Tim Duncan's left! They are not even in the NIT I don't believe.

Also, Tigers basketball has had some recent success - sweet 16 in 2018.

It will take a coach who can get some kids others over looked to get the ball rolling! And, those kids need to stay a couple seasons and make some noise in the tournament. It isn't all bad; the cup is half-full!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2019, 7:52 AM

It's amazing how coming into wealth can affect ones view of their friends and Wake is and has been our friend.

Mar 21, 2019, 7:54 AM

Well, their endowment is 3X the size of ours.

They have 9 total team national championships, including Tennis this year. Compare that to our 6. Granted they have 3 in Golf and 3 in field hockey, but a natty is a natty.

In most sports they are mid-upper level. Compete in 16 sports (compared to our 17 sports), so what they do compete in they normally do well. Only women's basketball and football tend to be their weaker sports.

And as bad as football can be, their TWO ACC titles is much more significant than what the sewage pipe down 26 has accomplished.

Mar 21, 2019, 7:58 AM

Joined the Southern Conf. in '36; charter member of the ACC. One of Clemson's oldest football "rivals" (84 meetings), plus all that has been said.

Wake's worthy and a good ACC member.

Mar 21, 2019, 8:01 AM

Wake was the final reason for us getting Dabo as our head coach so there's that.

Mar 21, 2019, 8:03 AM

Also, Wake Forest is the perfect "home-away-from-home" for all of us Clemson folks stranded in "Narwf" Carolina and want to see the tigers play. BB&T field is just the death valley extension.

As mentioned - some really good sports programs and

Mar 21, 2019, 8:39 AM

WF is 9-4 in bowl games. Always representing well even when they lose. They’ve won 3 in a row under Clawson including beating TAM year before last. Last bowl loss was by 6 to Miss St in 2011. It’s also one of the easiest road trips in the ACC from a fans perspective.

plus easy to get tickets if you want to go to an away game***

Mar 21, 2019, 10:22 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2019, 9:06 AM

Wake is the last school I would want to leave the ACC.

Mar 21, 2019, 1:53 PM

Your post is confusing. If Wake is the last school that
you wouldn't like to see leave the ACC - name the pecking
order on which schools you would like to see leave before
Wake..in order. Where would you place Clemson?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2019, 8:06 PM

Yea you definitely has the confuse...

Glad to see these comments. The ACC is about

Mar 21, 2019, 11:48 AM

more than just filling a bunch of 80,000+ seat stadiums. Wake hits above their weight class and as others have said, they have had more than their fair share of football success over the past couple decades. They’re also a founding member, a great academic institution and have had great success in non-revenue sports.

null

Mar 21, 2019, 12:40 PM

Their enrollment and alumni base are probably the lowest of any school in the Power 5 conferences. Having to compete with three other nearby D1 schools who have greater resources is a tough row to hoe. I've always liked Wake and consider them our best friend in the ACC.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duke, without question, carries its own weight. Wake, on the

Mar 21, 2019, 4:55 PM

other hand is the one school I'd like to see replaced. Don't need four teams from one state. Would love to see them replaced with West Virginia.

On the other hand, LOL, the last ACC Championship in Football:

Wake Forest 2006
Duke 1989
North Carolina 1980
N.C. State 1979

Re: Duke, without question, carries its own weight. Wake, on the

Mar 21, 2019, 5:11 PM

Bad bad move .... a very classy institution for a bunch of couch burners! No way!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Duke, without question, carries its own weight. Wake, on the

Mar 21, 2019, 5:32 PM [ in reply to Duke, without question, carries its own weight. Wake, on the ]

I would accept UNC Charlotte before West Virginny. They are dead last, wait, second to last after the coots for admittance into the all Clemson conference.

We already took the lice-infested hooker-bookers of Loserville and look where that landed.

There is one school I would take without a thought. Navy. Honor above all, mid-ship in the tables.

Wake Forest has won more NATTYS in the past 3 years

Mar 21, 2019, 5:51 PM

than Clemson.

Do some research before you spout off!!!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Outstanding responses and 99% positive

Mar 21, 2019, 7:25 PM

Thanks for the responses. I learned something. It looks like Wake could be Clemson's favorite colleague and competitor in the ACC. I wonder if Wake is every schools' favorite -- with their academic excellence, loyalty, work ethic and humble persona, Wake may be the Switzerland of the ACC.

Mar 21, 2019, 9:10 PM

As has already been stated: "Wake has a championship in football the last 20 years(13). I also seem to recall them being regularly ranked in the top 15 when Jim Grobh was there. A couple Orange Bowl appearances.
I have no issue with Wake.
They just need a coach who understands like our coaches understand. You don't have to have all 5 star players to win. Grobh didn't. But, he did have an excellent practice of red shirting everybody their 1st year! Build them up and they were more able to compete. Once they get back to that; they will be more competitive!
No issues with Wake.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic