Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on WR corps after 1 game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Thoughts on WR corps after 1 game

Sep 15, 2020, 10:54 AM

My take?

Amari is the prime target ... by a lot

Wonder if TL16 is comfortable with or trusts the new WRs yet? Dunno

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts on WR corps after 1 game

Sep 15, 2020, 11:04 AM

What I saw:

TL is very comfortable with Amari and Galloway. I saw a lot of other WRs who seemed like they were playing a little timid and didn't always look like they were on the same page with TL. I did see Ngata and Powell get separation a few times which was good. Ladson had some "almost" plays that could be really good with a little improvement.

What I hope:

I'm hoping the gameplan was to establish Amari and Galloway and the reason we didn't really do much else is because Option A worked so easily. I'm hoping the other guys will find their niche in another game or two and we will have 4-5 dependable options at WR that show enough to take some attention away from the main guys.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2020, 11:07 AM

I agree. Some of those WR looked like they were "new" to the system. Time will take care of that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ajou just missed a long TD catch late in the game.

Sep 16, 2020, 12:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts on WR corps after 1 game ]

A true diamond in the rough.

The backup TEs looked decent.

Ngata, Powell, and Ladson should be free ne with more work. They drew tighter coverage that let Amari and Galloway rip up passed over the middle.

The passing offense should improve during the Citadel scrimmage Saturday.

Sep 15, 2020, 11:06 AM

Think they will be fine but hope they stop the dropping of TD passes. At least 2 maybe 3 dropped sure TDs

Sep 15, 2020, 11:08 AM

we will be fine

new WR's just get some reps -- was it Ajou that alligatored a TD ?? should have been caught I thought - maybe from one backup QB ?

null

Our 3rd string depth chart is in shambles.

Sep 15, 2020, 11:08 AM

Will probably lose out because of it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Our 3rd string depth chart is in shambles.

Sep 16, 2020, 7:53 AM

I caught that, even without an emoticon explaining the dry wit with a hint of sarcasm.

Clemson's third string would struggle to win 8 games this season.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're a good dude, Bret - glad you are on here. Tampa guy

Sep 16, 2020, 9:20 AM

here that lived through the most impressive streak ever by your guys - 5,381 years in a row finishing in the top 3 - was UNBEARABLE . . . . .

So - you will possibly understand when I say - it would suit me just fine if you guys never win a football ever again.

Anyway - glad you are here - appreciate the insight you bring to the Clemson Family.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Don't forget the TE's...

Sep 15, 2020, 11:09 AM

They were targeted eight times Saturday night which was a very pleasant and frankly long overdue surprise.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Long term I think we're going to be fine

Sep 15, 2020, 11:23 AM

Rodgers looks like he's going to put up his best season by far.

Ngata is going to be solid but Ladson and Powell need to step up.

Also, we've finally got a TE passing game to pick up some of the slack!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2020, 11:30 AM

everyone was knocking the rust off including TL. TE's looked good and we've got some Swinney's available for mop up so life is good.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2020, 11:38 AM

For the first game after all the turmoil the team has gone thru I’d say the first game was unbelievably awesome for my Tigers. TL16 connected on 22 of 28 passes for 351 yards and you complain about the receivers! WOW

Short, sweet and to the point.

Sep 15, 2020, 11:40 AM

Juss the way I likes it.

+1

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Sep 15, 2020, 11:49 AM

studs one and all

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2020, 11:54 AM

Can’t use Wake to measure. Down the road there will be very physical DBs challenging every route. I am sure TE has looked hard at that LSU passing game from last year and integrated some crossing routes with 2 receiver combinations but that won’t be revealed until needed. Last year the guys would cover themselves by not drifting to soft spots or being physical enough. We’ll see.

Sep 15, 2020, 11:57 AM

players like Will Swinney and that other small receiver, I think 82, shouldn't even sniff the field

Sep 16, 2020, 12:05 AM

Yet they both caught the ball when they were targeted.

Since we don't have to listen to the noise in the background

Sep 16, 2020, 12:12 AM

WRs need some extended time on the ball machine...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2020, 12:49 AM

Galloway and Amari are legit but the 2 and 9 positions are real problems.

Ngata needs to develop in a hurry. He has the best chance at becoming an impact player IMO.

I'm getting impatient with Ladson but he's the only true speed guy we have.

Forget Cornell Powell. Please avoid the complete fantasy of him developing into something worthwhile. He's just above being a scrub. He might make one clutch catch the entire season if we're lucky.

EJ Williams intrigues me. Plenty of upside ("a faster version of Justyn Ross") but we don't know yet if he will develop quickly enough to contribute as a true freshman.

Ajou Ajou is a project, has a very long way to go and won't contribute much this year. With some seasoning, he has big time upside.

Sep 16, 2020, 9:42 AM

I'd say I agree with most of this. It seems as though our receivers over the past 10 years have shown whether they have "it" or not very early in their careers. Usually at least flashes of greatness in their freshman year, if not dominance, then really come on in their second year. Nuk, Sammy, and Ross had great first years. Renfrow, while maybe not having the stats of a great receiver showed how good he really was in his freshman year and was consistent for 4 years. Tee and Mike Williams showed some flashes in their freshman years and exploded in their second years.

Outside of maybe Martavis Bryant, I don't really recall another really good WR that bloomed late in his Clemson career.

Ngata showed some flashes last year, so I hope he builds on that and becomes another great one. Ladson was a little disappointing last season, after looking excellent in his first spring game. I really hope he steps it up this year. Rogers has always been good, but more in a Renfrowesque way. I don't see him being the #1 WR and going for a 1,000 yard season.

IMO Powell has shown the type of player he is already. He was borderline 5 star coming out of high school and in 4 seasons has 329 receiving yards and 3 TDs. I just don't see him being a factor. I don't know the guy and I don't see the practices, but that is just my opinion. After all the hype in summer camp that he finally put it all together and had his best camp, he was still a non-factor in the first game. Maybe he will turn it around, but I just don't get that feeling.

Sep 16, 2020, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts on WR corps after 1 game ]

I can understand saying that Powell probably isn't going to develop into a superstar at this point, but to say he's just above being a scrub? The guy is on the roster of what has been the top college football program in the country during his time here, and at least earns his way onto the field for a handful of snaps each game. It's not really his fault that he was ranked so high out of high school, or that he's been buried on the depth chart of a highly talented receiving group during his time here. People get upset all the time at players for 'giving up' and transferring somewhere else to earn playing time. Powell has at least stuck in out with our program, and is providing some much needed depth.

Sep 16, 2020, 2:38 PM

I’ll give him credit for sticking it out, which is rare. But it’s not like he was supposed to be a project. He was our top WR recruit in 2016, Rivals had him borderline 5 star. In 4 seasons he’s never been better than 7th in receiving yards.

He seems comfortable with the starters, including the TEs.

Sep 16, 2020, 7:43 AM

Seems OK with Ladson and maybe Spector on 2nd group. Not sure about Williams, or any on 3rd team, although Brown and Swinney have been there a while!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2020, 7:51 AM

We will not know for a while. The middle of the field is open. Clemson used that in the first game. We will know more when someone tried to take the middle away.

I think we still need to develop a guy that will stretch

Sep 16, 2020, 8:47 AM

the field and win over the top. Amari had a great game, but he that isn't that type of receiver and I think we will need one to compliment him come postseason.

Ladson seems to have some focus issues. He gets himself in good places and then drops passes. Seem to recall that happening last year a couple times too. I doubt he has bad hands - probably just a concentration thing that will get better as he gets more comfortable.

I really want to see more of Ngata. He usually does something impressive every time i see him out there.

And... not sure what happened to Amari on that ball to the back of the endzone. It reminded me of a player trying to stop a punt from going into the EZ by throwing the ball back into the field of play. It was basically the only thing he did wrong all night. My buddy and i kinda got a laugh out of that one.

Re: I think we still need to develop a guy that will stretch

Sep 16, 2020, 10:17 AM

The Amari drop in back of the end zone looked to me like self preservation, and trying not to smack the goal post like Mike Williams did a few years back.

Re: I think we still need to develop a guy that will stretch

Sep 16, 2020, 12:40 PM

That was my thought as well.

Someone needs to step up as a 50/50 ball guy - Amari is

Sep 16, 2020, 11:44 AM

too short for that...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Someone needs to step up as a 50/50 ball guy - Amari is

Sep 16, 2020, 12:11 PM

Ngata will (hopefully) be that guy for us this year.

If he develops to his full potential, Ajou can be one of the best 50/50 guys ever in CFB. Don't expect much this year though.

Sep 16, 2020, 12:25 PM

Ladson and Ngata will both have break out years! I believe I read where they were not among those who were able to assemble some. Once these guys get a few more reps and games under their belts - I think what we all envision will come to pass.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TE's played very well. Good compliment to Amari.***

Sep 16, 2020, 12:50 PM

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Sep 16, 2020, 12:52 PM

Powell plays so slow and timid. It’s kinda worrisome he’s listed as starter. All that preseason stuff was just talk per usual

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic