Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on Carolina Game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Thoughts on Carolina Game

Nov 23, 2015, 2:06 PM

First, I was happy that the Wake Forest game Saturday was under control fairly early and wasn't a nail-biter. Wake Forest had played other teams (UL, FSU, BC and Notre Dame) close this year, and I was a little worried that they might be able to have some success against us. I was a little disappointed in the second half offensive production with Kelly Bryant in there, but the experience/playing time for Bryant and the less played seniors was worth the investment.

It's funny reading the Wake Forest articles written from their perspective (Winston-Salem Journal) about how they didn't fold or get blown out and how that was attributed to their stout defense and fight. From what I saw, the score remained relatively close because we were determined to play back-ups and get experience, rather than trying to hit 50 points. All of their points came off of our turnovers on our half of the field, I think.

On to South Carolina...

I'm worried about this game for a couple of reasons:

* Our defense seems to play much better at home than on the road. With the exception of the Miami game, our defense seems to be giving up more yards and many more points on the road than at home. That may be because the home crowd noise helps our defense and its intensity or maybe because they're just more comfortable playing in the familiar confines of Death Valley. I'll caveat that by saying that the defense seems to give up a lot more points, but not necessarily yards, in the road games.

* Two years ago (2013), turnovers killed us in the game in Columbia (according to the article today, it was six, I believe). Some of those came on special teams (two fumbled kick returns by Humphreys if I recall correctly), which have been a problem for us in 2015, too. Turnovers can be the great equalizer and we've actually been able to win several games this year while losing the turnover battle (five games) because our offense has just been that good at scoring lots of points.

On paper, Carolina only has a couple of playmakers that could/should hurt us (Cooper and Wilds) and we should be able to key on those two and keep their offense in check. Should being the operative word.

Two years ago, Tajh Boyd crumbled under pressure and we lost. Deshaun has demonstrated that he can be much more steady, but he needs to have a solid game and not turn the ball over like we did against Wake Forest.

As I see it, this game can go one of two ways (and I sure hope that it's the first):

1.) Carolina's players and coaches may have already packed it in for the year and will go away with a whimper and Clemson can take control early and blow 'em out of the stadium. I'd love to see another 2003-type game.

2.) Carolina could play inspired football - better than they have all year - and take chances every opportunity that they get (I expect several fake punts and hopefully not many onside kicks because I don't expect them to score much) and can keep the game close if we turn the ball over or don't play solid defense. They have nothing to lose because they've hit rock bottom (arguably their worst season since 1999) and a win over your No. 1 ranked arch enemy would go a long way towards taking the sting of a train-wreck-of-a-season away.

I'm hopeful that the Roach will have a lot of orange Saturday and we come out in workmanlike fashion and score early and often and keep our foot on the gas.

I hope I'm able to come on here next Monday and celebrate that our defense put forth a Miami-like performance and not a Syracuse-like or NC State-like performance. I think our defense (along with special teams not making any stupid mistakes) will be the key to how this game plays out.

Go Tigers!

MT

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's focus on the Chickens first....

Nov 23, 2015, 2:07 PM

We don't play Carolina for over a week.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Let's focus on the Chickens first....

Nov 23, 2015, 2:11 PM

I actually realized that I did that and went back and added "South" in a couple of places in the message!

MT

Don't forget option 3

Nov 23, 2015, 2:11 PM

3.) Carolina could play inspired football - better than they have all year - and take chances every opportunity that they get (I expect several fake punts and hopefully not many onside kicks because I don't expect them to score much) They have nothing to lose because they've hit rock bottom (arguably their worst season since 1999) and a win over your No. 1 ranked arch enemy would go a long way towards taking the sting of a train-wreck-of-a-season away. None of it works, as Clemson takes control early and blows 'em out of the stadium in another 2003-type game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't forget option 3

Nov 23, 2015, 2:13 PM

I'd like that option, too!

MT

This scenario is very likely***

Nov 23, 2015, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Don't forget option 3 ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree...

Nov 23, 2015, 4:17 PM

I expect there to be 1 Qtr, to 1 1/2 Qtrs of hard fought play by the Coots. If we are up 2 TD's+ after that, they will fold like a cheap suit. If they are within 7-10 points at that point, it could be until the 4th qtr before the better play and confidence of our players takes over.

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we take care of the ball, this game will not be close***

Nov 23, 2015, 2:15 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Thoughts on Carolina Game

Nov 23, 2015, 2:21 PM

The problem I see with the coots is that I expect CLEMSON to get a lead and basically force USUC to PASS more. If there is a remote chance for them to stay in the game with CLEMSON, then it is thru the air - mainly to Cooper. He is a game-changer, and he will be a force to deal with. If we stop Cooper, then we should romp on their azzes.

I don't think their HC is smart enough to figure out how to hang with CLEMSON, and will only decide to pass more when he is out of all other options. Hopefully, it is too late at that time.

I expect Sean Elliot to get exposed as a poser.

Nov 23, 2015, 2:32 PM

"...I expect Sean Elliot to get exposed as a poser..."

we might be a little late to this dance...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No need to worry.

Nov 23, 2015, 2:24 PM

Alexander rested during the Wake game despite being able to play precisely so that he'll be able to take Cooper out of the equation on Saturday.

I doubt the coots will muster much of a run game other than perhaps a QB run here and there.

I don't see their defense containing an offense that's averaged something like 550 yards for the past 6 or 7 games.

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Football is a game of preparation, execution & intensity!

Nov 23, 2015, 2:26 PM

Coot's emotion runs out in a few minutes under Clemson's relentless aggression, flawless execution and thier own missed assignments.

Very rare for a team that has't prepared and executed for most of the year to "turn it on."

The Carolina game is in two weeks, we have to take care of

Nov 23, 2015, 2:29 PM

the coots first

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2015, 2:29 PM

I predict they will fold if we get up on them early. Otherwise we will be in a dog fight if we let them think they have a chance. Key is to crush their hopes early and then stomp on them again.

Nov 23, 2015, 2:43 PM

I think we get an early lead and will be willing to hold the lead and leave with a comfortable win. If we see any cheap stuff from scar like tons of trick plays and late hits, Dabo will hang 80 on them.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2015, 2:31 PM

If we get a lead early they will fold like a cheap tent.

null

Nov 23, 2015, 2:44 PM

I've thought the same thing regarding the defense normally looking a lot better at home than on the road, and firmly believe this is due to the 80,000+ "12th men" in the stands. This has been a concern of mine because it makes it difficult to tell how good our defense is, versus how much the crowd noise is causing the opponent's offense to get rattled. On a side note, our seats are on the 20 yard line of the west side of the field, and it has seemed to me that when the opponents have been on offense on our end of the field, they have been hit with a LOT more false starts and delays of game than when they are on the east end of the field. I think the fans on the east end of the field need to step up their noise production next year.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2015, 4:06 PM

I'm guessing a healthy dose of wildcat. The defense really needs to play assignment and not get caught out of position in the gaps. I fully expect the defense to be ready for whatever they bring. Tell their coach that the "buses" are coming and they are bringing HELL with them!

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic