Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What's going on at FSU?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

What's going on at FSU?

Dec 3, 2019, 4:50 PM

Here is what has transpired since yesterday afternoon.

Football field was painted. Rooms in the athletic center (big enough for a nice press conference) were cleaned. Speculation was that there would be an announcemnt today and that the guy would be Matt Franklin.

This morning rumors spread that there would be no announcement today. Reason was the candidate had backed out.

About noon, Iowas State announced that Matt Campbell had been given an extension and nice pay raise.

Speculation now turns to Mike Norvell being the man. But, it appears obvious that Norvell is high ont the list (probably top name) on Ole Miss and Arkansas.

There is a little talk, but not much that Bob Stoops or James Franklin are still possibilities.

Now, the story is that the announcement will not be made before this weekend.

That's what has happened. Now, I will give you my opinion of how to interpret it.

Matt Campbell's agent is Trace Armstrong, a former Florida football player - but more than that a guy who learned his trade at the feet of Jimmy Sexton. Sexton is known for getting his clients nice pay raises by playing two or ore schools against each other. He got Jimbo Fisher a nice pay raise when LSU was allegedly after him. Then he got him a HUGE pay raise when aTm wanted him. Seems reasonable to me to conclude that Armtrong used FSU as leverage to get Campbell a lot more money. Nothing wrong with that. That's just the agent doing his job.

Trace Armstrong is Campbell's agent.
Trace Armstrong is James Franklin's agent. I see a nice pay raise, somewhere, for Franklin very soon.

Jimmy Sexton is Mike Norvell's agent. I see three schools - FSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss - that want Norvell. Not to mention Memphis would love him to stay. I gaze into my crystal ball and see a HUGE pay raise for Norvell in the near future. But, I can't see which school gives it to him.

Conclusion: You fire your coach with a month to go in the season so that you have his replacement lined up before the other schools fire theirs. FSU didn't. Now, FSU is no better off than they would have been if they had waited until 2 days ago to fire him.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What's going on at FSU?

Dec 3, 2019, 4:55 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what a mess....so FSU is competing with

Dec 3, 2019, 5:14 PM

Arkansas, Ole Miss and Memphis for a coach that has to be a risk. jeez. how the mighty have fallen.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: what a mess....so FSU is competing with

Dec 3, 2019, 6:31 PM

I think it is primarily due to the lack of athletic department experience by the AD and the Prez.

Hiring a HC at a top-level school is not the same as hiring the President of that same top level school.

Dec 3, 2019, 6:43 PM

Hard to believe Campbell preferred to stay on at Iowa State than jump to FSU.

He must have perceived something seriously amiss there - or else FSU's AD just really bungled the deal - because it's been established, repeatedly, that you can win national titles at FSU. That has assuredly not been established at Iowa State.

I thought from Minute 1 that James Franklin was just getting himself a raise. Keep in mind we're well-aware of Jimmy Sexton's antics; Tommy Bowden pulled that very same trick on Clemson back in 2008...six games before we fired him.

We wound up with Dabo, contrary to popular legend, not just because Terry Don Phillips saw something special in him (who knows?) but mostly because he was what Terry Don could afford, because we got stuck with Tommy Bowden's almost $4-million buyout, which at the time was a fortune. So he bumped up our wide receivers coach...a guy who had never even been a coordinator, and left a good chunk of Clemson's football base frothing at the mouth. (I actually remember complaining bitterly because GT was smart enough to go hire Paul Johnson. I'd say I lost that argument. Emphatically.)

I'd love to tell you how to back into hiring a future legend and icon of the coaching world, but that probably won't happen again...like, ever.

So...hey. Maybe roll the dice on Odell and see what happens?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 7:13 PM

I think your posts are top notch, but Dabo got hired because it was all we could afford? No way; I liked Dabo from the first press conference, and I think Terry Don really did see that the guy had some skills, that no one else had. I men look at the Dabo we know today, who among us would pick any other coach anywhere to coach our own sons? When a guy like Herbie, who knows more about every coach in America sends his kids to Clemson, it says everything.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 7:49 PM

I agree, Dabo is wonderful. He is the best coach in USA. Having said that, at the time he was hired, he was definitely an unknown and a huge gamble.
Coach O at LSU was the same situation. It looks like rolling the dice paid off with Dabo and is paying off for LSU.

Dec 3, 2019, 11:44 PM

Sorry to have a different opinion , but TDP was a former coach who hated what he saw in Bowden’s attitude . He knew that he saw who was recruiting the hardest .

He knew Dabo pretty darn well and no way was it a matter of money .

He was a good judge of who and what Clemson football needed .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 7:55 PM [ in reply to Re: what a mess....so FSU is competing with ]

We can all see what is not going on at FSU by looking at the RIvals recruiting site and ESPN 300 and that is elite recruiting. Clemson may end up with eight of the top 25 or 30 prospects in the country and Florida State will be lucky to have one recruit landed in the top 100 in the country. Florida State recruiting is looking like middle of the pack ACC and ultimately that had to contribute to the firing of Willie Taggart. Poor coaching performance. Bad losses. No sign of improvement in discipline or play. All of that is important. But when you cannot land large numbers of elite prospects out of the state of Florida, you are not going to be the head coach at Florida State for long.

"mostly because" he was all we could afford?

Dec 3, 2019, 11:28 PM [ in reply to Re: what a mess....so FSU is competing with ]

And, Paul Johnson?? Come on man.

So if Arkansas or Ole #### throw a kings ransom

Dec 3, 2019, 6:41 PM

at Norvell, where do you go? Lane? The guy at Cincy? Some retread? You know this coaching search is beginning to look a lot like the coots when they wound up with Muschamp.

Sad, I miss you guys being good and that excitement.

I agree. I'm rooting for FSU to get it together.***

Dec 3, 2019, 11:17 PM

Dec 3, 2019, 6:51 PM

I sure don’t understand it either - bret.. Seems FSU would be a choice place for a coach!! Question - who would you like to see hired ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Who would I like to see hired?

Dec 3, 2019, 7:47 PM

Way back when they fired Taggart, my short list (personal preference) was:

Matt Rhule (the job he's done at Baylor is amazing)
Kyle Whittingham (didn't think he would be interested, but I would have made him tell me he wasn't)
Matt Campbell
P. J. Fleck
(In that order)

My B list included:
Mark Stoops
Josh Huepel
Mike Norvell
(In that order.)

Obviously, I would have loved to have gotten Bob Stoops. I had no idea his name would ever come up.

I didn't have a C list because I assumed any of those B list guys would jump at an offer.

Re: Who would I like to see hired?

Dec 4, 2019, 8:56 AM

Realistically, Fleck and Campbell are all northern products and would basically have very little recruiting network in the SE. FSU has show they will not wait to see someone get their roots.

Huepel needs to prove he can win with his own players. If he went undefeated this year, I would take the risk but not until he can prove he can win without the Frost kids.

While I think that Stoops has done well, let be honest that he has only had one season above 7-5 and is 43-44 overall. Sure, it is Kentucky but how about Muscoot being 26–25 overall at SC. Do you really want a guy that is technically under .500?

Norvell is the best option on that list that FSU *COULD* get.

Dec 3, 2019, 6:57 PM

Did you mean Matt "Campbell" in your 3rd sentence?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Dec 3, 2019, 7:39 PM

Yes. Thanks for catching that.

Dec 3, 2019, 8:02 PM

Sounds familiar, huh coots? Couple of years ago coots had a two month head start on everyone else and we know how that turned out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My speculation, for what it is worth....

Dec 3, 2019, 8:52 PM

FSU is not going to get a "big name" splash in this coaching hire. Multiple things factor into my statement:

1. The current FSU AD is not an AD by profession, has literally no established connections to the coaching world, and by 2021 will probably not be the FSU AD. The man is a politico administrator that landed in the AD office - can't imagine too many big name coaches are going to be in a hurry to work for this guy.

2. The current FSU President is scheduled to step down next year. May/may not happen but between the perceived or real instability of the AD and President position at FSU, very few big name established coaches are going to bite on this job position.

3. In the coaching world, FSU still has some "stink" attached to the program due to the fact they fired a head coach at the 1.5 year mark (even if the program was not doing well) - not something too many established, big name guys will look favorably on. Experienced AD's and coaches know, with rare exception, 1.5 years is not enough time to have given a coach a fair chance.

As much as no one at FSU wants to hear it, FSU made a big mistake firing Willie Taggart this year. The instability in the AD/President positions is going to make hiring a lot more difficult than if they had waited to fire Taggart after a new AD and President are in place.

At the end of the day, this FSU coaching search is starting to look like USuC's quest for a new coach after Spurrier left them at the alter. They may end up having to take whatever mediocre coach they can get simply because the big name boys won't touch them right now and the few up and coming coaches are going to be romanced by some other Power 5 schools with deep pockets. At this point their best option may be to give Odell Haggins a shot - at least he won't turn them down and would probably not cost FSU a fortune they don't have.

By the way, I doubt we hear anything regarding Norville before next Saturday - the guy is prepping for his conference championship game this week and probably doesn't want the distraction.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 9:07 PM

One name , rhymes with Smellenberger .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Thoughts about Butch Davis?

Dec 3, 2019, 10:14 PM

Don’t know how much of the Miami and UNC baggage still follows him around (or for how much he was responsible). UNC pulled off a 20-year scandal, so I just consider him complicit there.

BUT, he did pretty great things at both places. His Miami rosters were loaded with NFL guys. His UNC teams didn’t do jack but those players rolled into the draft just fine. I think he’s just a great evaluator of talent and getting guys better.

The big upside for FSU is his admin abilities. It’s not his first rodeo at the head spot and at schools with serious expectations. Plus, he’s a name people recognize in FL and could win recruiting battles early.

Re: Thoughts about Butch Davis?

Dec 4, 2019, 8:39 AM

How about Larry Coker?

hope yall hit it out of the park***

Dec 3, 2019, 11:07 PM

sorry man - but have to say, I might enjoy watching

Dec 3, 2019, 11:34 PM

the train wreck a bit.

I wouldn't mind fsu struggling for a decade to average 9-3 every year ........ almost there but not quite Tip top

null

Quoz , you really missed on this one . “ Contrary to

Dec 3, 2019, 11:54 PM

popular belief “ .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thats good info. thanks keep us updated***

Dec 4, 2019, 8:42 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Two words ... Dana Holgersen***

Dec 4, 2019, 8:45 AM

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic