Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
No good expansion senerios for ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,206

No good expansion senerios for ACC

Jul 22, 2012, 9:48 AM

ND -- solid but I don't see it

Rutgers and UCONN--heck no! Basketball schools and more far away northern teams (BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, UCONN, Pitt--it sounds like the Big East)

Penn State - well, that's a no win at the time

West Virginia--solid choice but gone to Big 12

Army and Navy--South Florida other choices but not the cream of the crop.
How many of those teams would you be excited and passionate to see show up in Death Valley.

If I was ACC I would look for passionate cfb matchups not for new markets. If you have the matchups the markets will follow. I guess proximity makes for good matchups.

Central Florida, Louisville, and East Carolina (2 of 3)might make for compelling matchups with some of our teams. ECU vs NC State or any other NC teams (big, passionate games in the past). Louisville vs Pitt, Maryland, and VT. Central Florida vs Miami, FSu, or GT. It is not the best but it could make the ACC more relevant because of the matchups.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No good expansion senerios for ACC

Jul 22, 2012, 9:57 AM

Louisville might be good. ND would never join. No more northeastern schools. I wish we didnt have the ones we are getting

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very good points.

Jul 22, 2012, 10:16 AM

I agree that match-ups can outweigh markets.

I'm from New Jersey...Rutgers isn't a basketball school...it's not an anything school. Well...soccer. The thing that strikes me about Rutgers is the potential. The most densely populated state in the country. 40,000 undergraduates. In the shadows of New York City. If anyone remembers a few years back when they had a couple of good years, they played a Thursday night game and the Empire State Building was in the background lit up in red. That represents huge potential to me. WAAAAAY more than Syracuse.

Army and Navy also represent interesting gets. Great schools, great tradition. Obviously not great football programs but there's a lot to be said to having our guys play against the academies.

West Virginia would have be awesome but that ship has sailed.

Notre Dame...I say don't sweat it. Tell them they know our number and we'd love to have them, but we're not waiting. We do not need Notre Dame.

Penn State...untouchable. Not sure why they always come up. The Big 10 is a good home.

South Florida really doesn't offer anything and we already have two Florida schools.

ECU...never happen. No more North Carolina schools. The Big East should have been all over ECU.

Louisville offers nothing in my opinion. Well, basketball, but we can get that at UConn. Louiville is a school on the WV level academically, which was already a no-go to the ACC. They have average attendance (48,000). They are not a great geographic fit.

I think, if we expand to 16, that Rutgers is an underrated option. I'd like to KNOW that Rutgers is ready to seriously invest in their football program, but they could do it. They ARE the best option for the NY market.

For the 16th...I don't know. You say it sounds like the Big East but that is the reality of available expansion. Pulling a Big 10 or SEC team is NOT particularly feasible. I would rather take another northeastern school and OWN the Atlantic Coast than to spread into Kentucky.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Unless the ACC can get Notre Dame

Jul 22, 2012, 10:17 AM

the ACC is done with expansion. Without Notre Dame all you get is more teams to split about the same pot. Probably not going to happen.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We shall see. As I said, I think that Rutgers is highly

Jul 22, 2012, 10:22 AM

underrated. Could be a good get.

I really am not advocating further expansion unless it's necessary. Really I wish we'd stopped at nine. Play every team once in football and twice in basketball. Great stuff.

null

Unless the ACC can get Notre Dame FORGET IT, the other

Jul 22, 2012, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Unless the ACC can get Notre Dame ]

schools would not add anything except numbers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As much as I would love to see one of the service academies

Jul 22, 2012, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Very good points. ]

Come each year for the military appreciation game, I don't think they will ever be able to return to their former level of play. Unfortunately they just can't attract top tier athletes in today's society.
Tradition-wise they would add a great deal to the ACC. Athletically I don't see it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Re: Very good points.

Jul 22, 2012, 3:21 PM [ in reply to Very good points. ]

i was stationed just a few miles from rutgers,in rockaway twp., and i helped coach a couple little league football teams there. they have a few talented kids, but they practiced longer and harder than i have seen the teams down here do. i can't understand why they don't have a good many young men transition from hs to the collegiate level. oh, and by the way dover hs, in jersey has the paw as their emblem.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are NO good scenarios now***

Jul 22, 2012, 10:20 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well you could say the same thing about any conference.***

Jul 22, 2012, 10:24 AM

Houston and Southern Miss!

Jul 22, 2012, 10:51 AM

Call me crazy... but what about Houston? That would add the Texas market, tremendous recruiting exposure, and Houston has been pretty solid. Another interesting pick... Southern Miss? Would be great to see the ACC further South than Georgia... in the SEC's backyard.

I'd love to to see the ACC dig deep into its Southern roots and these two would make interesting games. Opinions??

I would hate both of those. I think the "southern heritage"

Jul 22, 2012, 10:55 AM

of the ACC is not the direction we've gone and pulling a couple of deep southern schools will not change that. The ACC has decided that they want to own the eastern coast and we have expanded into the northeast to do so. The best solution for teams 15 and 16, given that, is to solidify that ownership. I would rather finish the job and lock down the entire eastern coast than to leave some other conference with a foothold in the northeast and have the ACC limp into the deep south.

null

Re: I would hate both of those. I think the "southern heritage"

Jul 22, 2012, 11:12 AM

The addition of 3 northern schools doesn't change the conference. And I would bet on Houston or Southern Miss any day over Syracuse, Rutgers, or any of the remaining NE options. We already have locked up the East Coast... I doubt the SEC or any other major conference wants the Big East crumbs.

I wouldn't consider either of these "limping into the SEC's backyard". Solid teams that would bring passionate fans and interesting road games. There's no benefit to expanding North. Few recruits, dispassionate fan base... No disrespect to BC, but have you seen there games and stadium half empty? This is not the image that the ACC needs.

I must admit, I do like the addition of Pitt... a solid football school with clear advantage in adding a fertile recruiting ground. What about Cincinnati?

Thoughts:

Jul 22, 2012, 11:31 AM

"The addition of 3 northern schools doesn't change the conference."
I disagree. We now have a presence in New York, Massachusettes and Pennsylvania. That is a fundamental difference from the old ACC that did not go above Maryland. Besides, the ACC has no more to do with the deep south (Miss) or the southwest (Houston) than it does with the northeast.

"I doubt the SEC or any other major conference wants the Big East crumbs."

I doubt the SEC is interested, but the Big 10 might be interested.

"Solid teams that would bring passionate fans and interesting road games. There's no benefit to expanding North. Few recruits, dispassionate fan base... No disrespect to BC, but have you seen there games and stadium half empty? This is not the image that the ACC needs."

Average attendance in 2011:
Rutgers: 43,761
UConn: 36,668
BC: 35,709
Cincy: 32,293
Houston: 31,731
Southern Miss: 28,400

These are some of the best years for Houston and Southern Miss and they can't come anywhere near an average Rutgers program. Rutgers is in the shadow of NYC, the biggest media market in the country, who embraced them back in 2006 when they won 11 games. Enormous potential. Why are the Southern Miss and Hoston fans "passionate" when their attendance is far below the "dispassionate" fan base of Rutgers, BC and UConn?

Getting two more northeastern schools bolsters the identity of the ACC: Owners of the east coast. Adding a team from Mississippi or Texas looks like desperate market-grabbing.

I agree with you on Pitt. A great addition.

null

Re: Thoughts:

Jul 22, 2012, 11:40 AM

I agree... maybe the Big Ten makes a move. But I don't think that should prompt the ACC to do so. But you make a point.... Rutgers is more viable than the rest of the NE options.

Regarding attendance, those numbers are a bit misleading: Southern Miss capacity is 36,000 and Houston stadiums only holds 32,000. Whereas Rutgers is rated at around 53,000....

Regarding recruiting... can you really compare NJ with Texas?

IMO...

Jul 22, 2012, 11:35 AM

outside of either Notre Dame,or "maybe" South Fla...
there aren't any good teams that are worth adding to
the ACC...that are even possible additions.

Only good option UConn Rut PSU send Wake & Duke to Big East

Jul 22, 2012, 2:52 PM

Georgetown Villanova Seten Hall Providence Temple Louisiville Cincinatii South Florida Depaul Marquette Memphis

Where they belong

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Only good option UConn Rut PSU send Wake & Duke to Big East

Jul 22, 2012, 3:25 PM

uconn adds no more to the acc than the schools you mentioned for the big east. say no to uconn.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am from NC and I say no more NC schools

Jul 22, 2012, 3:50 PM

They already have too much power

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: No good expansion senerios for ACC

Jul 22, 2012, 4:16 PM

Suits me to go back to 12 teams or 9.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd be really excited about Navy, a football school for sure

Jul 22, 2012, 5:20 PM

Plus, I really want to go to a game at Army one day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,206
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic