Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Those ready to jump ship on Brownell.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 5,712

Those ready to jump ship on Brownell.

Jan 9, 2014, 10:54 PM

Who are your "realistic" coaching options that would not only succeed here BUT want to come here.

Really curious what kind of a list Brownell dumpers can bring up that would not give us the same results we are getting now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brownell is a basketball coach...

Jan 9, 2014, 10:59 PM

not a genie or a fairy godmother. The difficult he does right away, the impossible will take a little longer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Those ready to jump ship on Brownell.

Jan 9, 2014, 11:08 PM

1. They

2. don't

3. know.

Jan 9, 2014, 11:09 PM

BB's post game press conference tonight was right on. He didn't call out individuals--just the team. He has few scoring options and a less talented and atheletic team than at least 1/2 or more of the ACC basketball teams. We were outplayed tonight by a better basketball players and team.
UNC was outplayed by a lesser Miami team the other night at home. Which situation is more indicative of a poor coaching job, Tiger fans?
Zero seniors and few real players of ACC quality. Blossingame has been a real disappointment. Their are others also. Roper is not cautios with the ball. For those disgusted tonight---don't watch Saturday's game against Duke. Brad and his staff have their hands full and they know it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2014, 11:16 PM

Any chance Shaka Smart would take $2M annually? I know he turned down the likes of UCLA, NC State, and Illinois but he does have some roots here. Low expectations too...

You've got to get a young coach...

Jan 9, 2014, 11:28 PM

...THAT PLAYERS WANT TO PLAY FOR!!!!!

Someone who can run an offense and enough defense to make the game fun to play and watch.

While Clemson may still not win at the rate of the upper half of the ACC, at least the fan base could be excited about watching a team that LOVED PLAYING FOR CLEMSON.

This rant probably doesn't make a lot of sense, but I have been saying for quite a while now that BB is just not a player's coach, who cannot recruit well, and generally appears to be to be a stick in the mud.

Clemson basketball will devolve into complete obscurity over the next 3 years until someone on the BOT is just sick of the whole thing and insists on just bringing in someone new.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Re: You've got to get a young coach...

Jan 9, 2014, 11:46 PM

Where did you say that you play for Brownell at. Was it Clemson, no. Was it Wright St, no. Ok then, was it UNC Charlotte, NO. Well where in the H&ll did you play for him to know that he wasn't a players coach, and that kids didn't want to play for him. Please tell where you found him stuck in the mud at. I don't like you, know Bad Brownell personally. But I'm betting in three years, he has a winning BB team. He has done well at smaller programs so, it has to be Clemson's less than stellar BB history as the reason its hard to get the Duke and UNCheat type BB recruits....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd love to know of another Clemson BB coach who...

Jan 10, 2014, 10:16 AM

...has lost as many players to transfer as BB.

Hmmmmm????

BTW...I'm not going to research this, and I suspect it would be pretty hard to verify. However, it seems to be that he has lost somewhere in the range of 6 "well thought of" players to transfer? And, I do recognize that these transfers have NOT panned out where they landed, so yes, maybe they were overrated.

However, there seems to be a pattern that has developed.

Thus the notion that he is not a player's coach.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Matt Painter

Jan 10, 2014, 12:16 PM

Since 2010-11 he has "lost"

John Hart
Sandi Marcius
Patrick Bade
Donnie Hale
Jacob Lawson
Anthony Johnson

Why did they leave? They didn't work out and went looking for playing time elsewhere. It happens all the time in college basketball.

While not a Clemson coach

Jan 10, 2014, 12:22 PM

Is a basketball coach. You set standards, and if players don't meet them, they don't play. If they don't play, they transfer. It's a pretty easy concept.

stick with BB HE'S GOT TALENT COMING***

Jan 10, 2014, 7:20 PM [ in reply to You've got to get a young coach... ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If there are no realistic options to succeed here, or would

Jan 9, 2014, 11:30 PM

want to come here, the let apathy rule. We just accept the fact that there are no possibilities out there that would want to come here, or could produce a product any better than this. If that is the case, don't spend another dime on the program, and just sit back and wait for the scores to come in. All the scores look alike anyway.

I'll be Dan Radokovich has a 1. 2. and 3. He's not going to sit there much longer into his tenure and not at least put a coach in place under his watch. Might not be this year, but Brownell will be the first coach he gives fires.

Re: If there are no realistic options to succeed here, or would

Jan 10, 2014, 6:06 PM

Gj not answering the question. Figured the loudest #### talker would have no answers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Good Lord, Clemson81 to 85 wants all coaches fired

Jan 15, 2014, 4:13 PM [ in reply to If there are no realistic options to succeed here, or would ]

More proof of a troll/coot

Shaka Smart

Jan 9, 2014, 11:32 PM

Hes seen how to win here, he can recruit here, new arena, best conference... Worth a shot

No moron...He's turned down better jobs already...***

Jan 10, 2014, 1:20 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shaka Smart turned down UCLA

Jan 10, 2014, 5:21 PM [ in reply to Shaka Smart ]

and a few other big name programs, no way he comes here

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Yeah, but they didn't offer him the kind of $ morons think

Jan 10, 2014, 5:43 PM

we would though...Worth a shot right?

Re: Shaka Smart

Jan 10, 2014, 6:07 PM [ in reply to Shaka Smart ]

lol wow what planet do you live on?

What a deluded fool.

null

Only calling him a fool is actually paying him a compliment***

Jan 10, 2014, 6:09 PM

VCU lost to FSU worse than we did, so Shaka can't be a

Jan 15, 2014, 4:30 PM [ in reply to Shaka Smart ]

viable option....Losing to FSU is inexcusable....Right?

Jan 9, 2014, 11:42 PM

I'm starting to doubt Brownell is going to ever take us anywhere. If I were the AD and going to put out feelers, I would go after...

1. Gregg Marshall (Wichita State)- Born in Greenwood, former coach at Winthrop.

2. Shaka Smart (VCU) probably not a likely candidate considering who he has turned down, but former assistant at Clemson.

If either of those two guys were interested I would move forward with it. Other than that, I don't really know. Do you think this program is headed in the right direction. I feel like we are getting better, but only marginally so.

Jan 9, 2014, 11:47 PM

I know it has been posted before, but Greg and both his parents are life long coot fans. Plus, he is revered in Wichita, so there is no way he is coming here.

Jan 9, 2014, 11:51 PM

I wouldn't want a coot family in Little John even if he took us to the final four every year. Couldn't you hear them then, we had to hire a coot to win. Not NOOOO, But H&lllllll NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2014, 11:53 PM

He went to Randolph-Macon College, so he isn't really affiliated with them other than apparently being a fan.

Jan 10, 2014, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Those ready to jump ship on Brownell. ]

> I wouldn't want a coot family in Little John even if
> he took us to the final four every year. Couldn't you
> hear them then, we had to hire a coot to win. Not
> NOOOO, But H&lllllll NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Hmm..I have enjoyed having Brad and Jeff Scott on the football staff. I would not be surprised if Marshall was about ready to show his mid-state morons what they have repeatedly missed out on.

Jeff Scott graduated from Clemson...He a TIGER!***

Jan 10, 2014, 4:52 PM

Jan 9, 2014, 11:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Those ready to jump ship on Brownell. ]

Interesting, I didn't know that about him and his parents. I still bet if the money was right we could get him. I have to think we would be willing to pay more for a coach than Wichita State, but I could be wrong.

Jan 10, 2014, 12:04 AM

They have and have had a better program than Clemson for years and they support the program far better than Clemson ever has..................... We had a winning coach and didn't support him and he took another job.................. He had the 3rd most wins in the ACC his last three years at Clemson behind only Duke and Carolina............. But still no support.................

The sad thing is there is more passion on this board than there is in Little John and that is the problem............... We want a basketball program but we aren't willing to do anything but complain about the problem during and after a game and once the season is over all will be forgotten................. This is why players don't come to Clemson..........................

Re: Re: Those ready to jump ship on Brownell.

Jan 10, 2014, 12:26 AM

Very good post. TU. All the reasons you mention are why we shouldn't concern ourselves with attempting to lure Shaka or Greg a position. Those programs absolutely Love em. And the kids love a sold out, enthusiastic arena. (Ever catch a Wichita St. home game? Those folks show up) But I also get that those are basketball schools. We are not.

Perhaps we should keep things in relative perspective ya know.... and go after Phil Jackson. Jk. I think BRad could do well. It's just frustrating as fans because it would appear there is little to no team passion. Remember Booker dunking the ball and the place erupts, and the opposing coach calls T.O. and our guys are all fired up? Well ya don't see much of that lately. Nonetheless I expect our boys to play a tad more aggressive on Saturday. How far that will take us remains to be seen. But I'm not jumping off BRads ship, yet.

Jan 10, 2014, 12:32 AM

Shaka Smart and/or Greg Buckner are probably Clemson's best options IMO.

Re: Re: Re: Those ready to jump ship on Brownell.

Jan 10, 2014, 12:34 AM

Eye see whatcha did there, funny

"You serious Clark?"

Jan 10, 2014, 1:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Re: Those ready to jump ship on Brownell. ]

I think presenting recruits with a stark contrast at head coach to what the elite teams in the ACC offer (old white men) is Clemson's best chance of success.

It doesn't sound like you know more than 2 sentences about

Jan 10, 2014, 1:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Those ready to jump ship on Brownell. ]

him.

Jan 10, 2014, 6:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Those ready to jump ship on Brownell. ]

" we would be willing to pay more for a coach than Wichita State, but I could be wrong. "

You would be wrong Brad is one of the lowest paid coaches in the league.

null

Really? If those are your top 2 choices, you better beg Brad

Jan 10, 2014, 1:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Those ready to jump ship on Brownell. ]

to stay.

Re: Really? If those are your top 2 choices, you better beg Brad

Jan 10, 2014, 1:38 AM

Do you have any suggestions, or do you think coach Brownell is bringing in the kind of talent that is going to get us back to where OP had us? I'm not a Brownell hater or a coach basher in general, I just don't see a ton of improvement from last year. We still have long scoring droughts, we can't seem to bring in a big man that can play hard in the paint, and I'm starting to think coach Brownell isn't going to get us where we can be. Feel free to look over my post history, I'm not trolling, I'm just starting to lose faith in Brownell, mainly because of recruiting.

Message was edited by: summeyd®

So your best two candidates are coaches with BETTER jobs?

Jan 10, 2014, 1:52 AM

My best candidate is our current coach...He has already signed more ball handlers in 3 years than OP did in his entire tenure here, and those are the guys who win postseason games...Why don't you take a good look at OP's last couple of classes(when he was at his"peak") and tell me who's better than what Brad has brought in the past couple of years...KJ is better than anyone OP signed, short of Trevor(and that's debatable)...I've seen tremendous improvement in Landry and Josh...That comes from coaching...You know, player development...Give him time, it's not like we have a ton of options...

Re: So your best two candidates are coaches with BETTER jobs?

Jan 10, 2014, 7:48 AM

And with all that said Purnell still had us in the tourney and Brownell will be lucky to get us in the NIT in his fourth season. We have been in a steady downward trend since he took over. You would have to be blind to think otherwise. Yes Smart and Marshall are at better jobs than Clemson, but with the promise of a new arena, more money, and playing in the best basketball conference maybe we could pull someone like those two. Who knows maybe Marshall would want to stick it to the coots for passing him over not once but twice for a job.

You have to get to the postseason before you win

Jan 10, 2014, 10:18 AM [ in reply to So your best two candidates are coaches with BETTER jobs? ]

postseason games, and it's unlikely we are getting to the postseason.

Jan 10, 2014, 6:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Those ready to jump ship on Brownell. ]

You are living in a pipe dream neither of those would come to Clemson.

null

Weak as water

Jan 10, 2014, 8:12 AM

The "who we gonna get" arguement is for losers. There are many candidates who would jump at the opportunity. Try again...

Re: Weak as water

Jan 10, 2014, 8:15 AM

we got a great coach who is hopefully gonna be here a long time. got a great class coming in and it will only get better when the new gym is in place. really cant figure some of you people out

Cdixon, the biggest dumper of Brownell can't list ONE

Jan 10, 2014, 11:00 AM

coach that would come in and realistically do a better job.

Don't quit your day job bud.

Michael White from La Tech would be a perfect fit

Jan 10, 2014, 5:17 PM

Get a day job, bud!

A great coach? Not sure what you're watching.

Jan 10, 2014, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Weak as water ]

We have gotten worse each year since OP left. Great coaches don't get worse over a four year period. I like BB and was hoping he would succeed here, but after 4 years, I see nothing that makes me think he will.

Re: A great coach? Not sure what you're watching.

Jan 10, 2014, 11:20 AM

Not once did I say he was a great coach.

I said who can come in here and realistically do better, huge difference.

For what it's worth, I love Brownell's style of hard defense, only reason Coleman never got to play.

His offense is a motion offense, it could work very well. See the first year of his tenure.

However, none of our players have any inside presence which makes us as one dimensional as you can get.

Yeah, it's his job to bring in the players but then we go back to the original point.

WHO do you bring in?

I have not seen one realistic option yet.

My bad, posted under the wrong post....

Jan 10, 2014, 11:22 AM

was intended for DERoberts post above. My apologies.

I said Bruce Pearl a number of times...

Jan 10, 2014, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Re: A great coach? Not sure what you're watching. ]

it's they type of bold hire we need to infuse some passion and enthusiasm into the hoops program. Because right now, it's just not there.

And I laughed every time you said it...We'd be better off

Jan 10, 2014, 6:15 PM

just going on probation NOW, that way, we wouldn't even have to pay Bruce

Uh, not siure what you were watching, but the decline

Jan 10, 2014, 4:42 PM [ in reply to A great coach? Not sure what you're watching. ]

started before OP left...hence his unexpected departure

Re: Weak as water

Jan 10, 2014, 6:08 PM [ in reply to Weak as water ]

shocking another of the only show up after losses losers cant answer a simple question.

null

Tommy Amaker - Harvard

Jan 10, 2014, 9:36 AM

He has proven he can coach. I think he will be able to recruit in the South, unlike at Michigan.

I don't think Amaker is leaving Harvard for Clemson.

Jan 10, 2014, 10:02 AM

Sounds crazy, but I'm not sure Clemson hoops is a better job than Harvard right now.

Bruce Pearl? Let's be Louisville 2.0

Jan 10, 2014, 11:02 AM

Tennessee was a much better program in a worse conference too.

Bruce Pearl***

Jan 10, 2014, 10:01 AM

Your credibility just dropped below OP's NCAA win total.***

Jan 10, 2014, 6:11 PM

Tommy Amaker and Michael White. Ben Howland is also

Jan 10, 2014, 12:07 PM

available.

GET ONE OF SHAKA SMART's ASSITANTS !

Jan 10, 2014, 4:54 PM

If you can't get Michael Corleone might as well get Fredo ... got that from ESPN ...

Regardless, if you can't get the man you CAN get his plan ! (from Patton)

Also, a lot cheaper AND an assistant would love to be Head Coach .... ez sell

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, because that worked so well with Shyatt***

Jan 10, 2014, 6:03 PM

I don't consider myself a BB dumper but I'd rather give the

Jan 10, 2014, 6:13 PM

Clemson men's basketball coaching reigns to:

1. soccerkrzy®
2. york_tiger

or

3. CUAtTheFinishLine®.

Replies: 60