Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ThornHood / Greek Village
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 51

ThornHood / Greek Village

Apr 4, 2014, 8:31 AM

I think somebody mentioned a Greek Village being built where Thornhill is now. If that is the case... How does it mix with this project? A Greek Village on the lake trumps the coots village.

http://www.thepieratclemson.com/#!greek-row/cfy5

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ThornHood / Greek Village- your link

Apr 4, 2014, 8:36 AM

at first glance I thought it said the pirate Clemson.

I need another cup of coffee

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought that too. I think the font tricked our brains.***

Apr 4, 2014, 8:39 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope it fails. Love 'em or hate 'em the fact is that

Apr 4, 2014, 8:39 AM

Greeks at Clemson organize or at the heart of most major school events. If they're not on campus, things will die off.

Trust me, if you got the Greeks into Basketball attendance would take off - at least for the first 1/2!

That is Wynkopp's deal.

Apr 4, 2014, 9:10 AM

That is Wynkopp's attempt to market to a group.

It has no official relationship to any Greek organization or the University.

IMO.

Oops

Apr 4, 2014, 9:11 AM

That's Winkopp.

I live at the Pier, it's not what you think it is.

Apr 4, 2014, 9:32 AM

It just a group of houses in the back and the greeks have their letters on the houses, that's about it.

Re: I live at the Pier, it's not what you think it is.

Apr 4, 2014, 11:21 AM

It's not done yet. The plan is to build a Greek Row at the Pier in one of the next phases. They're currently working with Fraternities and Sororities to get pre-commitments and make sure there's enough actual interest in the large houses and lodges to go through with it. http://www.thepieratclemson.com/#!greek-row/cfy5

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ThornHood / Greek Village

Apr 4, 2014, 11:29 AM

The university is half-heartedly trying to make the Greek Village happen on the current Thornhill location. Here's some plans of it. http://www.boudreauxgroup.com/projects/detail/fraternity-sorority-village/87

The problem is, the rent is way too expensive at this point in comparison with a fraternity or sorority just buying land and building their own house. From what I understand, they also want to implement a 30 year lease at the end of which there's no real plan in place for the fraternity to actually own the house or the land. Basically you just keep paying the rent forever without anything to show for it. The way it's currently proposed, the investment value is zero, and fraternities tend to get kicked off campus way too frequently to commit to a 30 year lease.

They also want a university employee to live in each house, which is going to be difficult for greeks to accept. Too many secrets for a non member of the fraternity to be living there, and it's hard to find a former member willing to still live in the fraternity house.

They've got a long ways to go, and Winkopp just kind of swooped in and took advantage of the situation with The Pier by giving the Greeks a lot more say in it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2014, 12:02 PM

Having a university employee living in the houses is just saying there has to be a house mother or father, as we always called them. Absolutely standard on campuses with established Greek villages. They usually have their own living quarters within the house and they're in charge of managing the house. Such as ordering food from distributors, handling caterers for big events, etc etc. No way you can leave that responsibility to a bunch of college kids.

Apr 4, 2014, 4:09 PM

Valid point. House mothers/fathers are very common, but the university employee thing is more what I was wondering about. I just figured it was more of an alumni requirement and often carried out by an alumni grad student or local fraternity alumnus. I could be way off as I was in a fraternity at Clemson who does not have an official house with more than 6 brothers living together, but from my experiences visiting other chapters that was the case.

It just seems like the university doesn't want to give any control to the fraternities. They want to own it and govern it basically as student housing with an "RA" which makes the investment value for the greek organizations non-existent.

Message was edited by: CU13®

The Pier isn't owned or affiliated with Clemson University

Apr 6, 2014, 7:13 PM

Its a private apartment complex targeted at college students. The Greek row is just private apartments they are willing to let fraternities rent as their "house" since there aren't many frat houses in Clemson and we don't have a greek street.

Clemson is going to be tearing down the Quad and Thornhill, replacing the latter with its own on-campus greek facilities.

Replies: 11
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic