Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So CFP Chair Rob Mullens just basically said...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

So CFP Chair Rob Mullens just basically said...

Dec 3, 2019, 7:28 PM

....we can NEVER be considered for the #1 spot because the “separating factor” is SOS, and we know they’ll NEVER consider the ACC SOS above the BIG OR the SEC.

Well, that settles it!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So CFP Chair Rob Mullens just basically said...

Dec 3, 2019, 7:30 PM

I guess I imagined us being #1 in 2015 and 2017?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 7:32 PM

He clearly stated that in this Final Poll, Strength Of Schedule is the “separating factor” and that O310 & LSwho both were ahead in that metric.

Dec 3, 2019, 8:38 PM

Yes. In this instance, this scenario, where the top three teams are all worthy of being number one, SOS was the deciding factor. Ohio St and LSU both have multiple top 15 wins and we don’t. That’s why we are number 3.

Dec 4, 2019, 2:14 AM

Yeah nothing like beating top 15 teams they rank top 15 themselves. The committee shouldn't be able to build their own narrative. By that I mean they are in charge of making a top 15. I don't know that where they rank teams are where they should be. What a joke.

Dec 3, 2019, 7:32 PM

I'm good with the #3 spot and hope LSU stays at two. Our offense should be able to score on the #35 defense.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Dec 3, 2019, 7:34 PM

This year, as long as LSU and OSU are undefeated we won’t jump them due to sos. If they lose we will jump them.

I have no problem with that

Dec 3, 2019, 7:39 PM

I understand and I’m glad we’re in too but the Conference SOS appears to be a weight around our neck that we can’t do ANYTHING about but will pretty much always keep us from getting a preferential location in the foreseeable future if all other things are equal.

That sucks

It could completely change NEXT YEAR***

Dec 3, 2019, 7:50 PM

Dec 3, 2019, 7:37 PM

We do need to improve our out of conference schedule. I dont care what Bama does, we need to only Play 1a teams. Ideally, we should only have 1 non power 5 team per year. We have to play the dirt peckers and they sure cant help us on strength of schedule.

Completely agree!

Dec 3, 2019, 7:52 PM

Better for season tickets too - I really don’t like watching us play high schools.
Make the offers to the other teams public so they’re less likely to whiff because they’re skeered.

I agree too & would add -

Dec 3, 2019, 10:46 PM

we should never be scheduling a team like the incredibly lowly - Akron Zips. In case you don't know, we've got 'em in 2020. We do play N.Dame, but we should NEVER schedule the pathetic Zips. There are 75 FCS teams that could whup Akron.

Great idea!

Dec 3, 2019, 7:56 PM [ in reply to Re: So CFP Chair Rob Mullens just basically said... ]

Put Clemson at a bigger disadvantage by not giving them 1 or 2 FCS teams like the REST of the top 25 teams do every year!

For your info Clemson only has to be in the top 4. We're a proven winner and get voted in with our current schedule.

This response seems a little unnecessarily hostile

Dec 3, 2019, 8:29 PM

Toward the OP. If we traded Charlotte for Iowa this year, I don’t think we’d be much worse off in the end. You’re correct in that making the playoff is the goal though - let us settle who’s the better team on the field. Can’t wait to see what we do Against LSU/OSU

Pretty sure our athletic budget is based on 7 home games

Dec 3, 2019, 8:25 PM [ in reply to Re: So CFP Chair Rob Mullens just basically said... ]

each year. I don't believe that any Power 5 teams are going to come to our place and not expect a return date. Now, we have our additional OOC Power 5 game at home on the years SC is in Columbia and vice versa. Besides, we have a chance to go to our 5th straight playoff if we win Saturday with 2 national championships (this year to be determined). I believe our scheduling is working great. It seems to be human nature to want to screw with things that are working perfectly. We even made the playoffs the 2 years we had a loss. The Clemson-Charlotte attendance this year was 81,500. Charlotte is in a bowl game.

Re: Pretty sure our athletic budget is based on 7 home games

Dec 3, 2019, 8:42 PM

No more callers, we have a winner.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this is counterproductive

Dec 3, 2019, 11:25 PM [ in reply to Re: So CFP Chair Rob Mullens just basically said... ]

Let's say we dump Charlotte and Wofford from our schedule and replace them with Iowa and FL.
(By the way, neither of them wants to schedule us.)
Assume we beat them.
If they are not both ranked in the Top #15 at season's end, we would STILL be ranked behind both O310 St and LSU, because they had multiple wins over Top 15 teams.

This year the only way we will be #1 is if LSU and OSU both

Dec 3, 2019, 7:44 PM

lose. However, we've been the #1 seed twice in the last 4 years, including 2017 when all 4 teams had 1 loss and ours was easily the worst.

Re: This year the only way we will be #1 is if LSU and OSU both

Dec 3, 2019, 7:52 PM

I don’t recall us getting a preferential location. That’s supposed to be the benefit of being #1.
Even when we’ve been the Defending National Champions (twice) that doesn’t seem to give us any preference for our fans & alumnus either.
So, how’s that supposed to work out for us.....ever.

We got the Orange Bowl in 2015

Dec 3, 2019, 8:09 PM

How was that NOT preferential? It's the 2nd best location of the 6 for us behind Atlanta.

Dec 3, 2019, 7:46 PM

I will settle for 15-0 and the CFP can still list us as #3 just as long as we are crowned National champions and get to bring home the trophy for winning the championship game. Number 3 is ok because Ohio State and LSU obviously will still have a higher strength of schedule despite their loss to us. LSU and Ohio State might be criticized somewhat because of a bad loss to Clemson.

as dabo said they dont want us there

Dec 3, 2019, 7:47 PM

if they knew they could get away with it they would put utah and oklahoma in over us

That's completely ridiculous

Dec 3, 2019, 7:51 PM

Dabo was just strawmanning when he said that. I don't know if he was trying to fire up his team or what, but nobody is trying to keep us out. Do you really think "they" prefer Utah over the defending national champs that would be on a 28 game winning streak?

Re: as dabo said they dont want us there

Dec 3, 2019, 8:17 PM [ in reply to as dabo said they dont want us there ]

I don't think that Utah and Oklahoma is who Dabo was talking about. They would fall into the no respect category as we do. I'm pretty sure that he was referring to teams from the B1G and definitely the SEC.

Re: as dabo said they dont want us there

Dec 3, 2019, 8:42 PM [ in reply to as dabo said they dont want us there ]

Oh good lord what an idiotic statement.

agree this is pretty idiotic ^***

Dec 3, 2019, 9:44 PM

Dec 3, 2019, 7:48 PM

It's all cool. 12 down, 3 to go!!!! GO TIGERS, BEAT EM ALL

Don’t worry. Be happy!***

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So CFP Chair Rob Mullens just basically said, what we already knew that he his a total doooosh bag in a suit that he got from The Men's Warehouse, pretending to be a neutral observer, when really he's just a jack###

Dec 3, 2019, 8:07 PM

I prefer the Men’s Whorehouse, personally.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 8:34 PM

If you are ever in Nevada, it's totally legal

Good. Let LSU or Ohio State have that #1 jinx***

Dec 3, 2019, 7:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good. Let LSU or Ohio State have that #1 jinx***

Dec 3, 2019, 8:21 PM

Correct . They both already think they’re the best thing since good cornbread .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And this season his reasoning is sound.

Dec 3, 2019, 8:11 PM

Years past the ACC wasn't the trash it is this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 8:29 PM

The BEST team should be ranked #1, period, SOS not withstanding. You can't tell me an unbiased observer can't tell we're #2 at least. Ranking us 3rd or worse because of our perceived lack of competition should have no bearing in our ranking. If the SF 49ers played in the ACC an were undefeated should they be ranked #3?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 8:49 PM

If it was this year's ACC, then yes...they should be #3.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 9:49 PM

We'll earn the #1 spot on January 13. That's all that matters.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic