Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hosting GameDay Twice
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,114

Hosting GameDay Twice

Oct 7, 2013, 12:46 PM

Does hosting College GameDay twice in one season add to the reputation that Clemson is an upper echelon football program? Pretty elite company we're joining:

Miami, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, USC, Oregon, Colorado, Florida, Tennessee, and LSU are the only schools out there to host College Gameday twice in one season. I'm surprised to not see FSU, Alabama, Notre Dame, and Texas not on the list.

Obviously you have to win the games and be in the national title hunt, but do you think this is an indication of Clemson stepping up on a National Level? Or just getting more National attention?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

making up for lost time

Oct 7, 2013, 12:54 PM

the fact that ESPN has only been to Clemson ONCE in 15 seasons is criminal negligence.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: making up for lost time

Oct 7, 2013, 1:01 PM

Yeah, but when else did we really deserve it? 2000 with Woody maybe? We ate up on cupcakes until Georgia Tech beat us. Not sure what they were ranked when they came to DV year.

In 2003, we had a great finish, but already had 3 losses by the time we went on that incredible win streak.

In 2011, we lost out to FSU/OU, admittedly a bigger game that week, when we hosted Auburn.

In 2012 we hosted the coots. Not sure where they chose to go instead last year.

Remember, though, we've been the visiting school a few times. Bama in '08, Auburn in 2010, and one or two other times I think.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure that is true. Ga Tech @ Clemson 2006

Oct 7, 2013, 1:02 PM [ in reply to making up for lost time ]

October 21, 2006

Though it's only been 2 times not counting Thursday games and Georgia Dome openers etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locations_of_College_GameDay_%28football%29

Re: Hosting GameDay Twice

Oct 7, 2013, 12:57 PM

Yes and no.

It obviously means you're a serious contender in that particular year. With that said, I think it says much more about your program when you host every year or every other year-- consistently host the show. If we host for the FSU game, it will mark just the 3rd time we've hosted the show in its history, whereas several powerhouses have hosted 10+ times (Bama, Florida, Ohio State, Texas, etc.). If we host again next year, and maybe the year after that, I think it says something about our place among the elite programs.

Being in the ACC works against us, too. There just aren't as many opportunities to take on top-tier teams week-to-week and get the opportunity to host.

wait, didn't Gameday cover the 07(?) GT game?

Oct 7, 2013, 1:01 PM

And Alabama and Notre Dame have other tv deals.

Obviously NBC gets ND games. CBS gets a few premo sec games, ie Tide vs Ags, Ala vs Aub and so on. Gameday generally covers the 8 or 7pm games, either on ABC or ESPN.

We hosted vs. GT in 2006***

Oct 7, 2013, 1:02 PM

Yep Oct 21 2006***

Oct 7, 2013, 1:03 PM [ in reply to wait, didn't Gameday cover the 07(?) GT game? ]

This site shows 23 other schools with more GD's

Oct 7, 2013, 1:06 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locations_of_College_GameDay_%28football%29

In the lower section there is a breakdown by conference schools.

Re: This site shows 23 other schools with more GD's

Oct 7, 2013, 1:15 PM

I think from year to year Clemson obviously has a terrific following and is a elite program. We have the support, the facilities, the history and the staff to put together a championship contender.

What Gameday's repeat visits seems to indicate is that Clemson has an opportunity to take a place amongst the real handful of schools that can do it year in and year out, and I think the program is in a place now that Clemson has to be on the list of must-see schools for the world wide leader every year.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,114
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic