Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This is why I don't soccer........
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

This is why I don't soccer........

Oct 13, 2020, 1:55 PM

https://thechive.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/daily-morning-awesomeness-38-photos-3-5.mp4

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It Really is Not a Sport. It's Drama class for those

Oct 13, 2020, 1:58 PM

with predisposition to like aszes with hair more than aszes without.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Know personnel taxes.

Oct 13, 2020, 2:12 PM

signed, BigCUFan® .

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: This is why I don't soccer........

Oct 13, 2020, 2:03 PM

If I knew how to link video I would one up you with none other than Jake Bentley. Bless his heart...........

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WRONG BOARD, MORAN!!***

Oct 13, 2020, 2:06 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: WRONG BOARD, MORAN!!***

Oct 13, 2020, 2:47 PM

Actually most of the world calls soccer football so take that!

Hey, soccer is an easy target. If'n ya wanna be consistent

Oct 13, 2020, 2:35 PM

Don't college football either. Or college basketball. Or baseball. Or MLB. Or NBA. Or NFL.

Stuff like that happens literally every Saturday in CFB.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/10/17/17989500/college-football-player-flopping

Re: Hey, soccer is an easy target. If'n ya wanna be consistent

Oct 13, 2020, 3:01 PM

Hey, actually, speaking of soccer, when the USMNT ever gets back to playing, it will have guys on it from Chelsea (Pulisic), Juventus (McKinnie), RB Leipzig (Adams), Man City (Steffen), Barcelona (Dest), Bayern Munich (Chris Richards), and Borussia Dortmund (Gio Reyna)...

...not to mention about a half-dozen other guys who play for EPL or Bundesliga outfits.

How on Earth did that happen?

Crazytown. The US just went and got a bumper crop of young soccer players who'd be 5-stars if they were playing football...right as the USMNT shut down for a year due to COVID.

Re: Hey, soccer is an easy target. If'n ya wanna be consistent

Oct 13, 2020, 3:30 PM

It's happening in college football too. Vatech players this past weekend were dropping like flies as UNC moved the ball on them. I saw one player standing alone on the field suddenly collapse, writhing in pain, as UNC was about to score. I hope he's ok.

LOL at the blue bellies.

Oct 13, 2020, 3:34 PM

LOL at the tarholes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I listen to a Sirius radio guy who talks about that daily

Oct 13, 2020, 8:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey, soccer is an easy target. If'n ya wanna be consistent ]

We have a seriously talented team now. Hopefully they can get some chemistry together o

He did a Bentley......................

Oct 13, 2020, 8:52 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=487HCnT9SEg

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll say it till I die. Any game where you ON PURPOSE do not

Oct 13, 2020, 10:34 PM

use the most useful appendages God gave you is just Stoopit and wrong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll say it till I die. Any game where you ON PURPOSE do not

Oct 13, 2020, 10:42 PM

Assuming you are referring to arms those get used a ton in soccer. Mostly for roughing up opposing players though. Hey! That sounds kinda familiar

Oct 13, 2020, 11:36 PM

Do soccer fans spend any effort or energy degrading American football?

Oct 14, 2020, 3:18 AM

Actually, in England soccer fans do.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ban play on US soil, burn existing soccer balls & make it a felony....

Oct 14, 2020, 1:04 AM

to possess one, & a misdemeanor if say the soccer-

Oct 14, 2020, 9:48 AM

Bentleys exist everywhere

I have said for decades that American soccer needs to stop admiring

Oct 14, 2020, 12:25 PM

The European mindset for soccer.

I had a discussion years ago with a British colleague about a dive a player took and how embarrassing it was. He responded that in fact it was clever soccer because it awarded him a free kick.

It’s just a fundamental difference in what we value in our sports teams and athletes.

American soccer needs to embrace American ideals on its team. That means you STAY ON YOUR FEET while the defender is working your legs. Don’t take a dive, and certainly don’t roll around on the ground and act like you’re dying. When you lose the ball don’t take the next 30 seconds with your hands up looking at the ref...go get the ball. And offense...attack, attack, attack.

The women’s team starting generating fans not just because of how good they were, but they were tough and had a strong identity.

I know that “dives” are a part of every sport but in football they are universally mocked when they do it...in basketball it is almost always at the moment of a shot and kind of a 50/50 take (plus it does usually look painful!). And plus none of those sports are trying to overcome a bad image with American fans (at least in terms of toughness).

That’s what I would demand if I were managing or coaching the Men’s National Team. I’m no soccer or marketing genius but I did play from age four to 30.

null

Re: I have said for decades that American soccer needs to stop admiring

Oct 14, 2020, 12:50 PM

Actually Europeans in general hate divers. The English in particular call them the "Dark Arts" and the Germans don't like divers either, probably because Germans are not exactly convincing actors.

South Americans tend to go the other way. Brazilians in particular are infamous for it. There's this funny Tweet courtesy of a Dutch kid's soccer camp called the "Neymar School of Excellence" that was making the rounds the last World Cup about the Selecao's latest diva forward.

https://twitter.com/football_mumble/status/1015103316542607360?lang=en

What inspired that bit of hilarity was this bit of ridiculousness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Qb_xwE8hE

That's fair. I only developed that opinion off of one

Oct 14, 2020, 2:19 PM

fan's perspective. Surprising that it can't be removed from the game since fans don't like it. Regardless, that would be my rule #1 if I ran American soccer - stay on your feet, or get back up if you get knocked down. Theatrics = benching.

null

Here it is in action: Stay on your feet!

Oct 14, 2020, 2:21 PM

https://twitter.com/accnetwork/status/1316175244986548224?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1316175244986548224%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tigernet.com%2Fupdate%2FTigers-top-No-1-ranked-Deacs-36510

Awesome effort by Mr. Barber. No flailing on the ground. No looking around for the ref with your hands in the air. And that DID look like a penalty, but he kept with the play and made an amazing cross for an amazing goal. Love it.

null

Re: That's fair. I only developed that opinion off of one

Oct 14, 2020, 3:03 PM [ in reply to That's fair. I only developed that opinion off of one ]

They're actually starting to. World soccer actually borrowed something from the NFL - instant replay. They're still getting used to it, but the big leagues - English Premiership, Bundesliga, even MLS - now use something called "VAR" - or "video assisted refereeing" where the ref can either buzz up to the booth or the booth can buzz down to him...and one of the things that can trigger that is what's called "simulation" - diving - if there's a question about whether or not a guy going down is legit.

If video review shows an obvious dive, it's a yellow card. Two of those gets a player a red card, at which point he is chucked out of the game and can't be replaced...and oh, yeah, can't play in the next match either.

It hasn't completely eliminated players from pulling up the landing gear and going to ground if they get breathed on hard, but it's definitely cut way down on the BS, since getting caught for it has real penalties now.

So there's no more Neymar'ing, anyhow. They've gotta be a little more subtle than that now.

Oct 14, 2020, 4:22 PM

I played competitive soccer my entire childhood through high school and I agree I hate that flopping has become such a part of the game, but I dont necessarily blame the players. It's the governing bodies of the professional leagues fault. Can't blame the competitors for seeking a competitive advantage. They gotten stricter on defenders to protect high value forwards. A defender playing with a yellow card has to approach the game much less aggressively to avoid being thrown out.

Sadly think the same will happen in football too. The more and more they protect QBs the more and more you'll see QBs exaggerate hits. Getting a starting DE or LB or Safety ejected is a huge advantage in some cases. I'm not saying he did or didn't, but the refs on the field didn't throw a flag on the second targeting on TL16. I believe he got the wind knocked out of him, but he very well could have been rolling around on the field to give replay time to catch it. Would be a heady play in my opinion.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic