Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
While I will intently follow the FedEx Playoffs . . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

While I will intently follow the FedEx Playoffs . . .

Aug 5, 2019, 10:59 AM

which begin this weekend with the Top 125 FedEx Points accumulators competing at the Northern Trust Tournament in NJ, I am not sold on the final rounds format.

https://golfweek.com/2019/08/04/golf-how-fedex-cup-playoffs-work/

Kyle Stanley and Lucas Glover will be our only Tiger Hopefuls in the mix.

After this weekend 55 golfers will be eliminated . . . 70 will advance to the BMW Championship in Medinah, Illinois . . . and from there 30 golfers will advance to the Tour Championship played at East Lake in Atlanta . . .

In the past the Final Tournament winner may not have been the FedEx Champion . . . the final field will be handicapped, insuring the Final Winner is our Champion . . . I'm not "All In" with this approach . . . My concerns simply stated by this example; It is like spotting Clemson 21 points in a Championship Football Game . . . I think all points should be erased for the final 30 Competitors . . . Everyone start equal . . . Level the playing field for one final hurrah . . . Just an old, not so smart, fat guys opinion . . .

The winner's Purse has risen from $10 Million last year to $15 Million this year . . . a truly scary amount of $$$!!!!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: While I will intently follow the FedEx Playoffs . . .

Aug 5, 2019, 11:27 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about this either. I don't love it, but I don't completely hate it either. I see where they are coming from in trying to make sure what the players did throughout the regular season and the first two rounds of the playoffs matters, and also trying to come up with a single winner for both the FedEx Cup and the Tour Championship. However, I didn't really have a problem with the old way and I didn't have an issue with their being a potential where someone could win the Tour Championship and not win the FedEx Cup.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I totally get "rewarding season long performance" . . .

Aug 5, 2019, 11:53 AM

It just seems a hopeless obstacle to overcome in the final event . . . I guess if our Tigers were ranked in the Top 10, I'd be doing cartwheels in excitement for their possibilities!!!!!!

Didn't T Woods win the Tour Championship last year, while Justin Rose won the FedEx title with his birdie on the closing hole? . . . I had no problem with that scenario . . .

On another note: Alex Noren finished outside the Top 125 final rankings, yet I saw him listed in the current field for this weekend . . . Is that due to Paul Casey and a few others In the Top 125 choosing NOT TO PLAY the Northern???

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I totally get "rewarding season long performance" . . .

Aug 5, 2019, 11:58 AM

Noren and Streb failed to qualify for the playoffs based on the final results of the Wyndham. Kizzire and Landry took their spots.

https://twitter.com/RobBoltonGolf/status/1158175774093922304

This is where I picked up

Aug 5, 2019, 12:54 PM

Alex Noren being in the field . . . and was shocked . . . Streb is listed here also

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/the-northern-trust/field.html

Re: This is where I picked up

Aug 5, 2019, 2:57 PM

They just haven't updated it yet. That was the original field list that went out after the 5:00 PM commitment deadline last Friday.

Rob Bolton is a good person to follow on Twitter for official field updates and other information. He is a writer for pgatour.com, focusing mainly on Fantasy topics. I don't play Fantasy golf, but I still check his Twitter page to catch up on information that may relate to our Tiger golfers.

https://twitter.com/RobBoltonGolf

Thanks for sharing his contact information . . .

Aug 5, 2019, 6:06 PM

I'd be lost w/out you and Marshall!!!

Just saw these stats on the Golf Channel . . .

Aug 5, 2019, 6:39 PM

For the 2018-2019 PGA Season

There were 39 different winners in 43 events . . .

There were 14 First Time Winners . . .

There were 5 Rookie Winners . . .

Just thought the amount of different Winners was odd . . . Just showes the competitiveness of the field!!!!!!!

Re: Just saw these stats on the Golf Channel . . .

Aug 5, 2019, 6:47 PM

That's pretty fascinating. There seems to be a lot more balance now days and the youngsters are really hitting the ground running.

Aug 5, 2019, 6:47 PM

My son who lives in Atlanta and is in the golf business wants me to come down for a couple of days an go to the tournament. I think I may take him up on it. I have played East Lake before, but the renovations were pretty new and it was not in tip top shape yet. They had Meyer Zoysia on the fairways and since that time there are a lot better choices .... in my humble opinion!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 5, 2019, 7:19 PM

I tend to agree with you.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic