Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What the feel here about the the O Line tonight?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

What the feel here about the the O Line tonight?

Jan 7, 2019, 2:24 PM

I figure if the Tigers O Line plays even up compared to Bama's Clemson's conditioning will make the difference down the stretch and they tire the Tide out. Just mho.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

unfortunately, I think we will have to be in Max protect...

Jan 7, 2019, 2:26 PM

all night, limiting some of our offensive threat. Hope I am wrong. The backend of our D worries me more.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What the feel here about the the O Line tonight?

Jan 7, 2019, 2:27 PM

WJOX gives us NO,NO,NO chance because of OL... This after letting OU float their boat... I give us a good chance... BLOWN COVERAGE will make or break us...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2019, 2:29 PM

concerned about 92 aganst our interior. Other than that I feel OK, don't think bama has the edge rushers they normally have especially if 47 doesn't play.

92 is a problem.

UGA blocked him well. Hope we can do the same.***

Jan 7, 2019, 2:38 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2019, 2:33 PM

Interested to see who blocks Q, and who helps.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2019, 2:58 PM

The 2 best rushing offenses that Bama faced were OU @#11 & UGA @#16. Both of those teams moved the ball and gave Bama trouble. I would argue that those 2 teams gave Bama more trouble than anyone else.
Clemson’s rushing attack is #10. No one has stopped our run for a whole game all year. If Bama does it they’ll be the first this year to do it. When you add the fact that our defense stuffs the run, sacks the QB and pressures the QB, better than anyone Bama has seen this year, then we just gotta take our chances.
Something’s gotta give. Bama has moved the ball on everyone. Clemson has given up less yards per game than everyone except Miss St and Clemson brings more pressure than Miss St (and everybody else for that matter). I think the game will be, can Clemson’s pressure get home or does Tua have time?

Jan 7, 2019, 3:18 PM

Tigers O Line takes control of the game just before the half or 3rd quarter.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is the one area I think there is potentially an issue

Jan 7, 2019, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Re: What the feel here about the the O Line tonight? ]

Sure we are the #10 rushing attack in the country but break it down game by game (excluding FCS)

TXAM - 32/115 3.6 YPC - #8 Rush Def
GA Tech - 36/248 6.9 YPC - #89 Rush Def
Cuse - 53/293 5.5 YPC - #68 Rush Def
WF - 40/471 11.8 YPC - #93 Rush Def
NCSU - 32/91 2.8 YPC - #60 Rush Def
FSU - 33/120 3.6 YPC - #21 Rush Def
L'ville - 37/492 13.3 - #126 Rush Def
BC - 30/129 4.3 YPC - #36 Rush Def
Duke - 36/208 5.8 YPC #106 - Rush Def
SCAR - 55/351 6.4 YPC #78 Rush Def
PITT - 35/301 8.6 YPC #96 Rush Def
ND - 37/211 5.7 YPC #39 Rush Def

Alabama is currently ranked as the #18 Rush Def on a YPC basis. We struggled to run the ball against the 4 best rushing defenses we faced during the regular season (TXAM, FSU, BC, NCSU) I can't see us having much better success on Bama than we had against FSU at 3.6 YPC. I think we a a good rushing team that benefited from playing a bad slate of run defenses (4 in the bottom 25 of FBS and 7 in the bottom half of FBS).

I expect we will have to throw to set up the run and hope the run is successful later in the game much like the ND game. I think the game comes down two things. Trevor's ability to settle into a rhythm quickly and not get behind like OU did and our ability to make Tua uncomfortable in the pocket. If those two things happen, Tigers win, but I don't think we'll win but trying to establish a run game early. That's a recipe for a lot of 3rd and long situations early in the game.

Re: This is the one area I think there is potentially an issue

Jan 7, 2019, 4:05 PM

I would argue that NCSU, FSU & BC sold out on the run and got smoked in the passing game for doing so. I think the TAMU game means less than any other game on our schedule. TAMU had a giant advantage of knowing waaaaay more about us because of Jimbo’s history with us, than we knew about them.
If Bama can’t stop our run playing straight up, then they’ll be in trouble.

Agree about TAMU

Jan 7, 2019, 4:15 PM

likely not being meaningful as our offense is more dynamic now, but I think that we haven't proven we can impose our will running on good defensive fronts this year. Our gaudy rushing numbers are both a product of us being a good (not great) running team and a lot of bad run defenses.

I still think if we go in with a run-first mentality it could put us behind early. Not saying we will but I think our biggest advantage is our WR's vs their secondary and I start exploiting that right from the start and then work in running the ball after we've opened the field up a bit.

I didn't think we ran the ball well against ND either until

Jan 7, 2019, 4:08 PM [ in reply to This is the one area I think there is potentially an issue ]

the long Etienne run near the end of the 3rd quarter that basically ended the game.

Re: This is the one area I think there is potentially an issue

Jan 7, 2019, 4:15 PM [ in reply to This is the one area I think there is potentially an issue ]

3.6 yards per carry is not bad. If we can get that we will win imo. If they hold us under 3 ypc we could have a problem but I believe we would light them up on the outside because they would be playing man most likely.

I think we see Pollard at center and Gage at RT a lot

Jan 7, 2019, 4:11 PM

We need the beef on the inside to wear 92 down for later in the game. Jackson Carman should be in the game near the goal line as well to help block in lieu of Dex. I could see Hyatt at TE and Carman at LT with 44 and whatever HB in the backfield.

I think we can hold our own a little better than in years' past. I'm feeling confident with Bama being down some of their best pass rushers for this game. Bama can't 100% key the run this year either.

Gage at RG* - whoops***

I'll be very pleasantly surprised if we can generate any

kind of consistent running game. I think the hope is that the running game does just enough to keep them from keying in entirely on the passing game and maybe Etienne breaks 1 or 2 pretty long runs. I just don't see us consistently churning out yards and moving the chains on the ground.

How well they can protect TL will go a long ways in determining whether or not we can stay in the game. There are big plays to be had against Bama's secondary this year, but that obviously won't matter if Lawrence is getting pressured and sacked all night.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic