Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Argument for ACC strength...should we count bowl games?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,596

Argument for ACC strength...should we count bowl games?

Aug 27, 2019, 10:24 AM

Talking to BIG 10 and SEC co-workers...bowl games do not matter. They are a small sample size and not to be taken seriously as a whole.

Those 2 conferences would hands down, top to bottom beat the ACC in every head to head match up.

Clemson is good, they admit, but we do not play anyone.

IF we had their schedules (esp SEC WEST) we would certainly meet our demise.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If bowl games don't matter,

Aug 27, 2019, 10:30 AM

Then that means pre-season hype counts for more than results. In my view...and, that would be deceptive.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would be interested to see the AP poll following week 1

Aug 27, 2019, 10:33 AM

if there had not been a preseason poll. Not sure how you can even have a poll when you have not seen a team on the field, but once the preseason ballots are in, the writers seem to spend the rest of the season trying to defend and validate their preseason ballot.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Would be interested to see the AP poll following week 1

Aug 27, 2019, 10:46 AM

So true. We will see that Florida will remain 8th ranked despite showing some major problems. Miami won't move up because not SEC. If Florida gets on decent track and only looses 3 games will remain in the top 15.

ACC teams have an unfair advantage in bowl games

Aug 27, 2019, 10:30 AM

We go into them better rested

All that ends up a moot points when you beat the greatest

Aug 27, 2019, 10:43 AM

team in college football history by 4 TD's. 4 Touchdowns is no fluke or having the ball bounce our way. Not to mention we beat another undefeated top 4 team by about the same. So tell them to have a point next time they bring that nonsense.

Did we not deserve to be there regardless of the other scrubs in our league and the SEC scrub teams we played? Then thats all you need to know. WE had THE best team in the NCAA last year and we played every team and beat every team they threw our way. End of discussion. Wining and crying about any of Clemson's achievements last year are just ridiculous and petty. Loser talk.

This is one of those things we won't outgrow

Aug 27, 2019, 10:44 AM

If the UVA smash-mouthing of the Gamecocks didn't shut them up it's never going to happen.

I'm not sure how far to go back because there are some pretty big SEC champs gaps in winning a title

Using https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/college-football-national-championship-history

1980 Georiga
1992 Alabama
1996 Florida (This is probably where the SEC bias starts)
1998 Tennessee
2006 Florida (Or maybe it starts here)
2007 LSU
2008 Florida
2009 Alabama
2010 Auburn
2012 Alabama
2015 Alabama
2017 Alabama

So if we look at this. 4 SEC teams won it all (5 if you go back and count Tennessee)

So Conference totals are:

5 SEC (Florida, Tennessee, LSU, Alabama, Auburn)
2 ACC (FSU, Clemson)
2 BIG 10 (Michigan, Ohio St)
3 Big 12 (Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas)
1 Big East (Miami)
1 Pac 12 (USC)

So by this ACC is in the middle of the pack with 2 different winners. ACC probably needs to produce 4 national winners before the league perception is changed.

I realized I just wasted 10 minutes of my life on this crap.

Personally, Clemson can keep winning natty's and they can call us weak all they want.

Re: This is one of those things we won't outgrow

Aug 27, 2019, 11:33 AM

How far are you going back? Your display shows all the way back to 1980. Well, if you go back that far GT won a NC in 1990. Now they haven't been relevant since, But neither has Tennessee and UGA.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 28, 2019, 8:46 AM

I went back to 1996 so that leaves out Georgia and Ga Tech. I am sure that the SEC will say their dominance goes back to the time when they started playing their conference championship game so probably 1992.

Aug 28, 2019, 8:52 AM [ in reply to This is one of those things we won't outgrow ]

You left out 2011 Alabama.

Flip flopping

Aug 27, 2019, 11:54 AM

Clemson has whipped-up on the top SEC and BIG TEN Conference Champions BADLY in recent memory. Their fans are obviously shell-shocked and exhibiting signs of delusion.

SEC & BIG 10 fans flip-flop to whatever narrative they can to make themselves feel better about Clemson dominating college football. If they had winning bowl records they'd be screaming "it's all that matters"!!!

What conference you play in only matters if you ARE NOT good enough to win Championships.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SEC never counts bowl games...unless they WIN! Then,

Aug 27, 2019, 12:12 PM

it was the most important game of the season, and they won over "an incredibly tough" opponent. Insert name as necessary. If they LOST, of course they didn't want to be there. Seasons may change, but that old SEC excuse always remains the same.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same is true for Ohio State fans...

Aug 27, 2019, 12:19 PM

Their brutal schedule includes the mighty MICHIGAN and the tough MICHIGAN STATE...of course the powerhouse PENN STATE team and lest not forget the road grating WISCONSIN squad. No one but Ohio State could possibly navigate this course.

They matter, but i dont think they matter as much as regular

Aug 28, 2019, 8:51 AM

season games. Especially now with so many of the best players sitting out, I'm not sure how accurate of a barometer they really are. And while i certainly don't buy into the SEC schtick where every loss is because the SEC team "didn't want to be there," you really do see some teams much more fired up for bowl games than others.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,596
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic