Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Glad to see Fox is joining CNN...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 775

Glad to see Fox is joining CNN...

Nov 14, 2018, 2:36 PM

Along with other media outlets to take a stand against revoking Acosta's press pass. Glad to see they understand the big picture: toleration of this action would be a dangerous precedent for democracy and open the door to many problems down the road regardless of the letter by the president's name or his/her political affiliation.

All Americans should demand the press have access to the White House for the good of the people, and reporters shouldn't feel they have to play nice or ask questions the president likes so they can keep their credentials. It's bigger than anyone's personal feelings over a particular reporter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

CNN is free to replace him with whoever.

Nov 14, 2018, 2:43 PM

And in all candor, what the heck is the press going to get out of the White House other than lip service? It's not like we know what Trump's doing, who he's talking to, what he's planning, or any details about anything. Trump only tells the press what facts he wants them to know, and the narrative he wants to get out.

And this is no different than Obama, or GWB.

You never get any important, new, or groundbreaking news from a White House press conference. At least not in my lifetime. You just get whatever info and spin the President at the time wants to release.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're right....

Nov 14, 2018, 3:30 PM

I remember anytime there was any sort of scandal in the BHO administration Barry would only say: "I'm not going to comment on that because there is an ongoing investigation". Of course, we never heard the outcome of the investigation....

As for Acosta, he was grandstanding more so than asking a question. And any POTUS should have the right to limit who can attend. I don't by the Constitutional argument.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: CNN is free to replace him with whoever.

Nov 14, 2018, 3:38 PM [ in reply to CNN is free to replace him with whoever. ]

sorry, but CNN is standing behind their reporters. They are not going to let him go because it is convenient to the lord and Cry Baby in the white house.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL......

Nov 14, 2018, 2:44 PM

it's still funny that people choose to believe and convey that it was Acosta's "tough questions" that got his pass revoked.

It wasn't. He's not a good reporter. He's not asking "tough questions".

Other reporters asked just as "tough" if not tougher questions. They're still there (undoubtedly slipped through the fascist cracks).

Acosta showed zero sense of decorum and managed to actually cause an incident at a press briefing with his unbridled asshattery.

Letting him stay after that complete and total show of douchery sets a dangerous precedent about how members of the press are or aren't supposed to demonstrate competence and professionalism.

"All Americans should demand the press have access to the White House for the good of the people" - In short, we do, and the press does. Jim Acosta doesn't, and it's completely due to his own actions, not his questions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is spot on.***

Nov 14, 2018, 2:45 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

I'm kind of on the fence about it...

Nov 14, 2018, 2:52 PM [ in reply to LOL...... ]

I agree that Acosta's actions seem extraordinary to me, and I think he brought it mostly on himself, but I also feel the precedent it sets is not good, without a clear, objective breaking of a specific rule.

I'll be interested to see how a judge views this.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is one of those things that is better if it's personal

Nov 14, 2018, 3:06 PM

That's how it SHOULD be. CNN should be free to replace Acosta with ANYONE else. Acosta's actions got him personally booted. CNN needs to find a replacement. End of story. Press is still free to question Trump. CNN is still free to replace one hack with another. Hopefully one with better manners who can keep his cool when pounced by Trump. And make no mistake. Trump agitated Acosta and he fell for it. That whole exchange would have been MUCH better for CNN, Acosta, and the press and liberals in general if he had been respectful, didn't take Trump's bait, and remained level headed and shut up and sat down and let the next guy go at Trump.

Side note: It's funny how the media is basically all on the same hate-Trump page. Yet they're so competitive they never coordinate their attacks on Trump. What I would do is get all the White House liberal press members together, devise a list of accusations, issues, lies, or whatever else to confront Trump with at a briefing. Then as Trump looses his cool with one of them, they respectfully sit down and the next guy from wherever just keeps going down the list.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is one of those things that is better if it's personal

Nov 14, 2018, 3:09 PM

I think i read where cnn still has 50 reporters with White House passes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is one of those things that is better if it's personal

Nov 14, 2018, 3:10 PM [ in reply to This is one of those things that is better if it's personal ]

A few points:

1. A media organization cannot comply with the unwarranted barring of one of their reporters. It sets the precedent.

2. Has nothing to do with political ideology.

3. You understand these media organizations are competitors, right? They report the same stories but they're not looking to team up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

But Shirley, if they can unify at all for a noble cause, it

Nov 14, 2018, 5:08 PM

would be to nail Trump.

I don't disagree that he could have handled himself better.

Nov 14, 2018, 2:58 PM [ in reply to LOL...... ]

But that's not a reason to revoke the credentials, and that wasn't the BS reason the admin gave for taking them.

They've been looking at an excuse.

But the bigger issue is Trump's comments afterwards, and the DoJ response to the lawsuit: This admin believes they can start yanking credentials left and right if reporters don't play ball with them.

If you don't see where this can lead, well...

I just don't see this as a freedom of the press issue.

Nov 14, 2018, 3:12 PM

If I'm fortunate enough to be allowed anywhere that is exclusive and has very limited access, and I make an assss out of myself while I'm there, I have to right to be asked back. That's common sense.

Get drunk and yell at a Marshall at the Masters and see if you get badges again.

Dine and dash at the French Laundry and see if you get another reservation there.

Heckle the Speaker of the House from the gallery while you're a guest there and see if your congressman gets you guest passes again.

Acosta isn't a journalist, he's a protester, and I'm glad he doesn't have carte blanche to behave as a buffoon. Before Trump, virtually no one would have accepted behavior like that from the press corp, especially not the person's employer, but somehow now we've let Trump's boorish behavior dumb down or set aside our expectations from those who interact with him. That's what's dangerous.

(P.S. If you wanted Acosta to behave, just stop televising these press briefings....he might not even show up anymore.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I just don't see this as a freedom of the press issue.

Nov 14, 2018, 3:14 PM

He never asks a real question. He pontificates and then follows up his pontification with a question. That isnt a journalist, that is a pundit in a town hall forum.

Message was edited by: tigermanac®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with this, but will add...

Nov 14, 2018, 3:34 PM

I think this happens a lot, not just with Acosta. Even in sports. Reporters tend to say a bunch of sentences, then at the end, finally ask a question.

It should be like Jeopardy, where all statements must be in the form of a question.

It is because of the deeper issue at play...

Nov 14, 2018, 3:23 PM [ in reply to I just don't see this as a freedom of the press issue. ]

And that's Trump and the DoJ's attitude over it. They're insinuating that they get to set a precedent for behavior and revoke any credential at any time for any reason.

To maintain the sanctity and freedoms of the First Amendment, you have to defend the buffoons. Otherwise, the buffoonery is used as an excuse to attack the legitimate practices.

Also, stop televising? You're playing right into the government's hands.

I think you missed my tongue in cheek point......

Nov 14, 2018, 3:35 PM

I was insinuating that if Acosta lost the chance to parade around and get his face on camera, it would probably lose a lot of the luster for him to do so....not saying it's what we should do, it was a joke.

Obama effectively locked Fox out for eight years...I'm not saying "bu-but" as a counter-argument...rather I thought it sucked at the time, but also thought to the victor go the spoils---he, as President, had some control over which press got which bread crumbs. When it comes to revoking credentials for press access to the White House due to poor behavior or worse, who, if not the White House, does decide?

Clearly the press isn't policing themselves over this Acosta issue. There's no diplomatic immunity just because you have a press pass...there has to be some accountability....who should enforce it?

Re: I think you missed my tongue in cheek point......

Nov 15, 2018, 10:57 AM

Sorry for the late reply, but how did Obama "lock Fox out"?

Which, for the record, I would oppose. I think Obama's push against the press was a lot more secretive and underhanded. Most transparent admin, my ###.

This WH is chock full of carnies from the big orange ring

Nov 14, 2018, 3:36 PM [ in reply to I don't disagree that he could have handled himself better. ]

leader to the crazy mustachioed Doonesbury character NSA guy to the great lying lady. I'm amazed that Trump found this many sycophants to work for him. I haven't watched enough of Acosta to know if the confrontational thing is his shtick, but even if it is, handle it better from the podium. Don't stand up there and answer questions if you can't keep from losing your temper. So, Trump gets mad and sends a cute little intern to take his mike and the WH questions HIS behavior? What's next, he gonna hire some x-football players into the intern program to tackle reporters who ask questions he doesn't like. "Trump don't like you no mo, you hit the flo!" BOOM!

Trump and his WH will find every conceivable way to embarrass themselves and our country. We can have a good economy, low taxes, and conservative budgets without all the buffoonery.

I too r/politics***

Nov 15, 2018, 11:14 AM

I like your funny words magic man

What about the precedent to release a doctored video?

Nov 14, 2018, 4:12 PM [ in reply to LOL...... ]

to try and demean and discredit a reporter by the federal government? Which is a worse precedent to be setting in your opinion?

How about option C?

Nov 14, 2018, 4:28 PM

The precedent set by people so consumed by confirmation bias that they claim simple video format conversion changes (which make zero change to the substance of the video) are a result of intentional “doctoring”. I guess technology has finally brought us to the point where you can truly believe what you want to believe, facts be dammmed.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/charliewarzel/acosta-video-trump-cnn-aide-sarah-sanders

lol, "zero change to the substance"

Nov 14, 2018, 4:36 PM

Dropping frames which causes the action to look different (in this case worse) is a change to the substance(reality) of what happened. The piece you posted is more about the semantics of "doctored" versus "altered" but the reason the white house tweeted it out is clear.

I agree with you though, the technology of doctoring(or altering) video to the point of not being able to tell reality over fiction is getting closer by the day.

Yes, zero change to the substance.

Nov 14, 2018, 5:15 PM

-He was told his time was up, multiple times. He didn't listen.
-The intern tried to get the mic from him. He refused her attempt and warded her away (not forcefully) with his arm so that he could keep the mic and keep talking.
-After surrendering the mic, he remained standing and attempted to simply talk louder, over another reporter who did have the mic.

All combine to be great reasons to have your press pass suspended.

All shown on both "versions" of the video.

This "doctoring" nonsense is an attempt to divert attention away from the real problem, Acosta's behavior.

It was posted as evidence of "placing hands on a woman"

Nov 14, 2018, 5:31 PM

which was intended to accuse Acosta of being physically violent in some way towards the female intern that grabbed at his microphone.

That's not to defend his other actions which were not seen in the video/gif posted by the white house.

Those defending this action by the white house is an attempt to divert attention away from the real problem, this white house's behavior towards reality, truth, and those it deems a problem.

Acosta envisions himself as a "problem". He's not.

Nov 14, 2018, 5:37 PM

He's an everyday, run of the mill a-hole.

He wishes he kept the administration up at night.

It's hypocritical to scold people for being ok with Trump's poor behavior and then trying to sweep away Acosta's dog and pony show as if it were part of his job.

You battle Trump's poor behavior by protesting and voting him out if enough people agree.

You battle Acosta's poor behavior by suspending his access to the most exclusive building in the country if his own employer refuses to take him to task.

That can all be true about acosta...

Nov 14, 2018, 5:55 PM

but it doesn't give the white house the right to imply he was "physical" with the female intern and release an "altered" clip to prove that assertion. I would strongly argue that's worse than Acosta simply being a bad journalist or assshole.

The President, as the most powerful person in the world, and his behavior is a tad more important and influential than some idiot reporter.

Regarding the last line, you're right, so why are

Nov 14, 2018, 6:02 PM

you so worried about Acosta?

Regarding the first line, they said he laid hands on her. That's true. Implications of brute physicality are your interpretation. I saw it when it happened at the original airing of the press conference and thought it was completely inappropriate and unprofessional, and laying hands is a great way to put it.

And no, I'm not going to put on a tin hat and presume that minute incidental frame by frame changes from format conversion are akin to altering or doctoring.

Again, I've said Trump's a boor and a lout and an oaf. I'm saying the same about Acosta. You deal with them in different ways due to their position. Acosta is a strange hill to die on in the name of "freedom of the press". It's a complete bastardization of the concept.

I don't know much of anything about acosta or his work...

Nov 14, 2018, 6:24 PM

I've seen some things and know he and the white house don't get along. But you seem to really dislike him so I guess you've watched his work a considerable amount, and have a more informed opinion about him than I do. I don't really care about him to defend his work.

What I do care about is the white house's behavior when it comes to the altered video (which even the article you posted agrees was altered) and how it treats journalists as they have the power of the federal government behind their words and actions. It means more.

By pointing out and emphasizing that acosta "placed hands on a young woman" and to give that as the reason for barring acosta from the briefings (later they added his other non-physical behaviors) is clearly trying to insinuate the action was worse than it was (i.e. borderline abuse). It takes a creative mind to see that differently.

While I think revoking his hard pass was a little much.

Nov 14, 2018, 2:44 PM

It's not like they stonewalled CNN out. They still let CNN in, just not Acosta's arrogant ###.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Trump could have handled it better.

Nov 14, 2018, 2:53 PM

He could have taken the victim position and politely contradicted Acosta's claim of racist. Furthermore he could have black balled Acosta and never taken another question from him. Also he could have instructed Sanders to never call on Acosta either.

That's not because it protects Trump, anyone in the right mind knows that Acosta is about as far from being a journalist as a man can get. Trump gave him a stump on which to whine and draw sympathy.

I'd have put him on ignore and left him helpless, without value to his bosses and without any of the attention that attention seeking wh ore needs to feed his ego.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, that would have been the better/easier way to do it.***

Nov 14, 2018, 2:59 PM

I'm not sure that's a lot better...

Nov 14, 2018, 3:05 PM [ in reply to Trump could have handled it better. ]

I guess the difference is that he would be allowed to be present, and to listen. But as far as him being able to ask questions, it's obviously no different from barring him completely.

I think avoiding Acosta becoming a freedom of speech...

Nov 14, 2018, 3:21 PM

martyr might be lesser damage to the Whitehouse. I don't think what he's doing is right but even if some agree with Acosta, being right is no excuse for being rude. I feel the same way about Trump. He could do better.

I understand that these people need enemies and battles to remain in the spotlight but many reporters and politicians do that without being rude.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lincoln, Wilson, FDR, and others imprisoned reporters

Nov 14, 2018, 3:53 PM [ in reply to Trump could have handled it better. ]

for less. I'm fine with the action taken here.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fox has been controlled opposition from the get go

Nov 14, 2018, 4:46 PM

Every outlet went anti-Trump after the 2016 election so fox went pro Trump. Why? Because there's ratings, and money, lots of money. They all svck.

O.M.G.

Nov 18, 2018, 11:17 PM

In the face of so many overwhelming meaningless tidbitd to the public masses as well
as the energy needed to remember and load down Goggle's servers so far back,
keep going. Shoot a load out of one of your cranial arteries.

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Replies: 36
| visibility 775
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic