Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Glad everyone is finally catching on.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Glad everyone is finally catching on.

Jun 28, 2012, 3:05 PM

I've never understood those that said we don't pull for teams in our conference. Those same folks are probably the same one screaming for us to jump from the ACC now.
Granted, wanting FSU to beat OK or GT to beat UGA doesn't have ANY impact on the game. However, if GT had beaten UGA, FSU beaten UF, and Clemson beaten SCar 2 of the last 3 years each, would the ACC still have the same perceived weakness?

I use the term perception because that is all college football is based on. The idea that coaches and media voting in polls is not based on perception is errant. Perception is the reason teams get ranked high. If your fellow conference teams are losing, they won't be ranked and you have poor SOS. The SEC wins their out of conferance games then lose to each other during the season, but they stay ranked based on the (earned) perception that they are stronger than other conferences.

This has ALWAYS been true in college football and will continue to be going forward. If you give two ##### about Clemson you #### well better be hoping that the ACC starts taking care of business out of conference even if you don't sit down and actively "cheer" for our conference mates.

Go TIGERS!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

To Hell with UNC and DUKE***

Jun 28, 2012, 3:10 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To Hell with UNC and DUKE***

Jun 28, 2012, 5:56 PM

I agree with the OP however I cannot in good conscience pull for NC or Duke in basketball. Football, yes.

I don't believe who I pull for

Jun 28, 2012, 3:13 PM

has any outcome on the game, so I am going to continue to hope that FSU, GA Tech, NC State, UNC, VT, ... lose.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

(especially UNC) :-)***

Jun 28, 2012, 3:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nor do I.. aknowledged this already. But the result effects

Jun 28, 2012, 3:34 PM [ in reply to I don't believe who I pull for ]

you as a Clemson fan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: I want to stay in the ACC but will not pull for other

Jun 28, 2012, 3:16 PM

ACC teams nor will I pull for any SEC teams. If an ACC team is playing an SEC team, I will look at it on an individual basis. If S C is playing, I will pull for their opponent even if Obummer is the other team's qb.

OK, look at the first few responses...

Jun 28, 2012, 3:19 PM

Do you understand now?

LOL.. Yeah, so much for people coming around.

Jun 28, 2012, 3:32 PM

Everyone is welcome to feel that way. I acknowledged in the original post that who I want to win has no impact on the outcome, but you can't deny the fact that as long as the ACC teams continue to lose, Clemson loses (assuming we stay in ACC.)

If we want respect, we have to play respected teams... and beat them. You can't play respected teams in a conference of teams that continue to lose. If there were a Big 12 jump, would you pull for OK, OK St, etc? Because if they start losing, Clemson is right back in the same situation its in now except travelling 3x as far to do it.

But, I do enjoy the responses... pretty funny ;)

null

I think the difference is we see there is true commitment

Jun 28, 2012, 4:48 PM

to winning big time in the programs at OK, OK St, and Texas, TCU is building a new stadium, Baylor is building a new stadium. Obviously the NC schools will always be basketball first. It's who they are. Pitt and Syracuse are obviously basketball schools. Miami doesn't even have a stadium on campus for goodness sakes and has indicated they are reducing funding on sports. At this point in the conf I would say there are maybe 6 teams that care...truly care...

Clemson
FSU
GT
UNC with the hiring of Fedora but really they are always going to be a basketball school no matter what happens in the fall.
VT
UVA..kinda sorta but still are a basketball school at heart

I think there is always going to be a feeling outside of VT/GT/CU/FSU that the other schools just don't care as much as we do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hoss ,we are coming out the front door, if you are

Jun 28, 2012, 3:36 PM [ in reply to OK, look at the first few responses... ]

going to stop us then you had best get your troops around there.

I can pull for everyone but unc and duke

Jun 28, 2012, 4:07 PM

I pull for the rest of the conference

Re: Glad everyone is finally catching on.

Jun 28, 2012, 4:35 PM

Wow!!! Everything that the original poster went in and then out the other side. Perfect example about the the front page article is that if the other teams in the ACC win more games the SOS will be higher and the PERCEPTION will improve. Just common sence really!!! I pull for all ACC schools to do good when they are not playing Clemson. When I am out and about I Rep Clemson and the entire ACC to the fullest. All the other conferences can suck hot air all day everyday!!!

I'm a CLEMSON fan...I don't have any Asheshe shirts

Jun 28, 2012, 4:38 PM

and wouldn't be buying any Big12 shirts....I hope the conf does well against OOC but I seriously doubt a skiny aging 40 yr old dude in Woodstock GA is going to have an impact on games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd describe it like this

Jun 28, 2012, 5:02 PM

I get where you're coming from and like the sentiment of your post.

Say I'm watching Maryland play Utah (because I'm sick and can't get out of bed...that's my excuse). I cannot stand Maryland. Watching them lose would make me happy. Hence, I cheer for Utah.

Now, is it good for Clemson if Maryland wins? Yes, in a very small way. The cumulative effect of a bunch of ACC "Marylands" losing to a bunch of OOC "Utahs" is bad for business.

So, on a Saturday afternoon when I'm chilling out watching the game, I have to balance: (a) I can't stand Maryland (the Terp teams, I'm fine with the university and love the state), and (b) it would be very slightly good for Clemson if Maryland were to win.

The verdict? Given that me laying in bed watching the game affects it NOT ONE BIT, I am cheering for Utah. And if Maryland wins, well, my consolation is that this is very slightly good for Clemson.

Now, toward the end of last season, had we taken care of business, then I would've been cheering hard for, say, Maryland against a team like Oklahoma State, who was ahead of us in the rankings. Because it would be *very* good for Clemson. Not kinda obliquely good for Clemson.

But being a fan, I'd have still snickered just a bit if OSU won by 80. (And let's face it, they would've.)

The good news is that you don't have to encourage me to pull for Georgia Tech versus Georgia. Done.

^^^ What he said***

Jun 28, 2012, 5:11 PM

what he said***

Jun 28, 2012, 5:12 PM [ in reply to I'd describe it like this ]

Great points. TU to you. I'm curious if you see

Jun 28, 2012, 5:34 PM [ in reply to I'd describe it like this ]

a difference between your Utah/MD game and the end of the season ACC/SEC rivalry games and bowl games. It's one thing for a lower level team like MD to lose (loose) to Utah early, but what about those games at the end of the year.
Also, did you want FSU to beat OK last year knowing it would be that much better for Clemson to beat a higher ranked undefeated FSU team?
Just curious, and I appreceiate your well-stated post earlier.

null

Re: Great points. TU to you. I'm curious if you see

Jun 29, 2012, 9:16 AM

Hola Soy,

I think I do tend to pull more for the ACC teams OOC, because (like we agree) it does make Clemson's wins more valuable when they're against good teams. That applies the same to an early-season game as it would to a bowl game. I was definitely pulling for FSU against OU last year, for instance. (Don't tell the natives; I live in Gainesville and UF pays the bills.)

But I don't let the auxiliary benefits of opponents' strength of schedule outweigh a good, old-fashioned hatred of some of those teams. If I did, I'd pull for the other BCS in-state team, who shall not be named. I don't really dislike a lot of the ACC teams, though.

Good discussion. I avoided posting for a year or so and probably will go right back to doing so, but being able to have a discussion without someone calling someone else a demon spawn (or worse, a coot) is refreshing.

You suck you demon pawn coot loving gator wannabe

Jun 29, 2012, 10:29 AM

closet semihole . . .

Did I hit all the high spots ?

;)

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Yep...I think that about covers it! Well done! :-)***

Jun 29, 2012, 12:26 PM

Many football recruits choose the SEC because it's the best

Jun 28, 2012, 6:21 PM

football conference in the nation. We complain about losing recruits to SEC prestige. Many Clemson fans say that being in the SEC is the only recruiting advantage So. Car has over Clemson. Yet some Clemson fans would rather have a root canal than pull for ACC teams, even though conference success could help us attract recuits. The contradiction is incomprehensible.

Re: Many football recruits choose the SEC because it's the best

Jun 28, 2012, 7:40 PM

Thank you!! You really understand having belief in your conference. No one is asking that you marry the other teams in the league. We all know who we root for on Saturday!! I would like to see a strong conference from top to bottom instead of 4 maybe 5 teams. If we had 8 teams that challenged each other that would make for far more exciting games on Sat. Why do think the SEC has the following it has? I would put money on it that they are all about the SEC as a whole.

Re: Many football recruits choose the SEC because they

Jun 28, 2012, 9:47 PM [ in reply to Many football recruits choose the SEC because it's the best ]

have teams that will accept their grades when no one else will.

Re: Many football recruits choose the SEC because they

Jun 29, 2012, 10:31 AM

I don't buy that at all! Academics are in place for all students. The ACC has chosen to raise themselves in high esteem to match the Ivy league. The NCAA govererns qualifications and the routes to be taken to become a student athlete.

In the case you make UGA is a prime example of getting athletes and not students. I will take the ACC student athletes any day over the SEC's. We graduate our kids here in the ACC.

we just don't trust/like/respect each other***

Jun 28, 2012, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Many football recruits choose the SEC because it's the best ]

Re: Glad everyone is finally catching on.

Jun 29, 2012, 9:52 AM

I agree. Don't understand why some people can't get this. Yes, pulling for a team has no effect on the outcome; however, wanting ACC teams to lose and then complaining that people say the ACC is weak is the definition of INSANITY

This is horsechit.

Jun 29, 2012, 9:58 AM

Boise rose to the top of the polls time and time again playing a soft-azz schedule. Those polls won't matter in two years so when the playoff starts I might change my tune but for now I hope everyone in the ACC sucks except Clemson. I hope we roll over them like a D10 over a rusty trash can.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is horsechit.

Jun 29, 2012, 10:56 AM

Really! Boise State has had 3 undefeated regular seasons in the last 5 years. Consistant comes to mind in my book no matter who they played. They blasted VT on National TV the other year and finished with one loss for the year. 69 plus wins in the last five years....Come On Man!!! Pick another team to to trash.

Great point! How many title games were they in with 3

Jun 29, 2012, 12:39 PM [ in reply to This is horsechit. ]

undefeated seasons?

null

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic