Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This is going to be a stupid question,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 539

This is going to be a stupid question,

Oct 16, 2018, 10:14 AM

but the desk people at the doctor's office told my wife yesterday that we have met our deductible for the year. Yes I am an adult and I have no idea what the hell that means. Does that mean we only have to pay the co-pay now? Need halp jounge cuz stupid.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

oh my god.***

Oct 16, 2018, 10:15 AM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I googled this #### and still don't know what it means***

Oct 16, 2018, 10:16 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

JFC***

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: JFC***

Jave Fatthews Cand

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It means that you have payed a lot

Oct 16, 2018, 10:17 AM

of medical bills this year

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^ yep***

Oct 16, 2018, 10:17 AM

it basically means you don't have to grab your ankles

Oct 16, 2018, 10:18 AM

anymore when you check out at the doc's office. you still have to pull your pants down and bend over, just not quite as far.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds thrilling***

Oct 16, 2018, 10:19 AM

If you have met your deductible, that means you

Oct 16, 2018, 10:19 AM

will receive a check for that amount whether it be $2,500 or $5,000. If you have any more medical expenses during this year, you can use that money to pay the bills. If you have no other expense, then you can use it on Bells Two Hearted, Little Debbie Cakes, Vienna Sausage, whatever your heart desires.

Depending on your insurance, it probably means you will

Oct 16, 2018, 10:20 AM

have to give one of your children as tribute to the American Healthcare System. A traditional Viking Funeral should be fine and make sure you put quarters over their eyes to pay the toll to cross the River Styx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fzJGxpcenc

Probably means you only owe 15-20% of medical bills for the rest of the year, again, depending on your insurance.

Did you meet the Family deductible or an individual deductible?

you havent lived until you've met your out of pocket Max

Oct 16, 2018, 10:21 AM

deductibles are so UDP

After the CT scan yesterday I'm pretty sure we will hit it.***

Oct 16, 2018, 10:22 AM

my 'deductible' and OOP Max are the same

Oct 16, 2018, 10:35 AM [ in reply to you havent lived until you've met your out of pocket Max ]

#HSAforLYFE

how are you even alife?***

Oct 16, 2018, 10:27 AM

Skittles and beer***

Oct 16, 2018, 10:28 AM

It only deals with money. No biggie if you don't know.

Oct 16, 2018, 10:31 AM

Yes, that means just the copay now. Your insurance plan has what are called deductibles. So you pay full out of pocket up to that deductible. THEN your insurance kicks in. The higher the deductible, the lower your premiums are usually.

Last year we changed our deductible from 500 to $1500 (per covered individual). That saved us just a shade below $7,000 in premiums. This year, we've paid almost $3k out of pocket. YIKES, right. BUT, that still puts us right at 4K in savings.

If you have the cash flow, and everyone's basically healthy, I'd go with a higher deductible and you should save thousands. Wife wasn't keen on the idea. When I showed her the numbers she agreed. I mean, the most we could end up paying if all 5 meet the deductible (won't happen) is just $500 more than we would pay anyway for the $500 deductible. Was really a no brainer.

PS. The insurance companies make more on people with little cash flow (savings, whatever) because they can charge them higher premiums. A person will have more taken from their paycheck for insurance rather than be forced to pay a large medical bill. Just to prevent that big of a hit, they actually end up paying more. But for those who keep a good padding of emergency cash, and assuming your family is relatively healthy, you can pay those large medical bills up to a higher deductible and still come out saving big with lower premiums.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

$7K in Premiums? Ouch

Oct 16, 2018, 10:37 AM

I may not have paid that much in premiums since I've had insurance.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you dont have kids. Whole fam is asspensive to insure

Oct 16, 2018, 10:40 AM

at least my wife tells me that.

Re: $7K in Premiums? Ouch

Oct 16, 2018, 10:44 AM [ in reply to $7K in Premiums? Ouch ]

Sounds like a lot all added up but that's only $270 per paycheck if your paid bi-weekly. I just went through open enrollment at work this year and to bump my coverage up to our max coverage was around $300 for me + spouse. Not really worth it for the reasons stated above.

Sounds like 7 grand a year to me***

Oct 16, 2018, 10:46 AM

That's about where mine is. around 300 a paycheck

Oct 16, 2018, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Re: $7K in Premiums? Ouch ]

for family

2 adults and 3 kids. Oh yeah. Premiums used to be 12K

Oct 16, 2018, 10:57 AM [ in reply to $7K in Premiums? Ouch ]

Wife's main point against the higher deductible is the savings mean that extra money is taxed as income at a higher rate. I'm like so? That's like all those people who love tax deductions and think if they pay to get a deduction they're getting maybe $0.13 on the dollar for the deduction. So the savings are taxed 13% more. Still almost 50% savings. I'll take it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems cheaper to not have kids***

Oct 16, 2018, 11:01 AM

Dude

Oct 16, 2018, 11:10 AM

No shit, Sherlock

But you're rich with the love

Oct 16, 2018, 11:30 AM

Of 3 people that when grown, will blame every miserable part of their life on something you said or did, and completely ignore the fact that you sacrificed the majority of your life for their well being.

Congrats!

Dang, our deductible is $7150 per individual

Oct 16, 2018, 10:43 AM [ in reply to It only deals with money. No biggie if you don't know. ]

and the plan sucks.

Obamacare, man. Costs about $14,000 a year for a family of 4 for that worthless insurance.

Thats crazy talk

Oct 16, 2018, 10:47 AM

I barely spend that much on my house.

Yeah, thankfully we're all healthy and hopefully never need

Oct 16, 2018, 10:52 AM

to use it because then we're screwed. It sucks though, because it pretty much deters us from ever taking our kids to the doctor when they're sick.

I wish the US would form some sort of single payer, universal healthcare type of option.

But I don;t have kids.

Oct 16, 2018, 10:54 AM

I don't want to pay more for my insurance because of your kids.

Re: But I don;t have kids.

Oct 16, 2018, 10:58 AM

I'm only concerned with my situation. ;)

But, it would likely be cheaper for you.

Will never happen. I'm for single payer system

Oct 16, 2018, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Yeah, thankfully we're all healthy and hopefully never need ]

It would suck. Balls. But that would be fine to at least get poor people healthcare. THEN have private insurance that can flourish after the government takes care of the non-payers.

In Australia they have a single payer system. It is adequate, but nowhere as good as in the US. ANYONE can get healthcare, free of charge. BUT, Australia also has a thriving private healthcare system. They have private doctors, family practices, hospitals, etc. Their private (insurance) healthcare is on par with what we have in the US, or even better, 20 years ago at least. PLUS, the costs of private healthcare in Australia is HALF what it is in the US, again 20 years ago. The costs are low because there are no situations where doctors and hospitals are stuck treating people who can't pay. So yes, a single payer system in the US would be fine, AS LONG AS provate insurance and healthcare is allowed to thrive.

It must not be that cheap

Oct 16, 2018, 12:23 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/mar/29/three-quarters-of-australians-struggle-to-afford-private-health-insurance-choice

In 1997 it was half the cost of the same open heart surgery

Oct 16, 2018, 12:25 PM

in the US.

But it seems things have changed since my dad's operation. Then again, we paid out of pocket for his bypass on the old Amex card. So I'm not sure about premiums, but the CHARGES we paid for the procedure were half what they cost in Columbia, SC at the time.

That was 20 years ago.

Oct 16, 2018, 12:26 PM

I have no idea what it costs, but if 3/4's of the population are having issues with it, it must not be that great.

That. SUX.

Oct 16, 2018, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Dang, our deductible is $7150 per individual ]

What Obamacare did is wreck the individual insurance market. You're paying for all that crap like preexisting conditions etc. that were going to be so wonderful.

I'm not even sure if they can offer traditional individual (not group) insurance anymore with the old rules. I think Obamacare killed that if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, Obamacare killed that.

Oct 16, 2018, 11:23 AM

Need the wifey to get a full time job back going, but you also can't get these years back with the kids... The joy of self employment.

You can pay someone else to raise your kids

Oct 16, 2018, 1:38 PM

Sauce - Me & Wifey

Re: This is going to be a stupid question,

Oct 16, 2018, 10:53 AM

It means you have a month and a half to have as many surgeries you can think of

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can finally look on the outside

Oct 16, 2018, 10:58 AM

the way I feel on the inside?

Re: This is going to be a stupid question,

Oct 16, 2018, 10:54 AM

It means our healthcare system is stupid, but you no longer

Oct 16, 2018, 10:56 AM

have to pay big bucks for each trip to the doc until your next year (whenever that is on your health insurance) rolls around.

You may have a co-pay or you may not. Depends on your plan.

Stupid US healthcare system.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congratulations!

Oct 16, 2018, 11:04 AM

When you get to that point, you can start increasing the volume of your risky behavior because it's now on the insurance company. I suggest you start smoking a carton of Camel non-filters every day, drink a LOT of Colt 45 Malt Liquor and run up a lot of miles on your vehicle driving fast and reckless, have a lot of unprotected sex with strange men at interstate rest areas, and maybe even go out to the school track and do a few laps with a pair of scissors in each hand.

YOU'VE EARNED THIS.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 42
| visibility 539
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic