Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: No Drop-Off
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

New Story: No Drop-Off

Sep 2, 2015, 7:12 AM

No Drop-Off

Carlos Watkins is the man in the middle, and now he’s the leader of a young defensive line that is dealing with the loss of D.J. Reader. However, Watkins says there won't be a drop-off for the defense or the defensive line. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I never thought we'd drop any further than just outside..

Sep 2, 2015, 7:21 AM

the top ten on defense. It's been years since our guys blew smoke up our shorts about expectations.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There will be some drop off which is expected

Sep 2, 2015, 8:16 AM

But hopefully they dont look as bad as SCAR D did last year! You cant lose the talent on D that Clemson did and just reload and never miss a beat. This young D will have their woes and make their mistakes but i know BV will get them in shape and straighten out any kinks they may have in a hurry. All in all it will be a great record breaking season no doubt! Go Tigers!!

This is NOT your father's Clemson team.

Sep 2, 2015, 8:47 AM

Great recruiting + staff continuity = reload.

I know many of you are nervous because we've seen it all before, but TODAY is a NEW DAY in Clemson Football. Dabo wants/expects this to be the best decade in our history. Our OL and DL talent has never been better. Never. We cannot expect RESPECT from the national media and fans if we suffer setbacks every time we lose players.

Sammy's hurt, Martavis is suspended and we're down to LSU. Bring it!
Watson is playing on one leg vs. our rival. Bring it!
Watson sits out bowl game vs. Okla-freakin-homa. Bring it!

No Excuses! Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

Re: This is NOT your father's Clemson team.

Sep 2, 2015, 9:03 AM

> Great recruiting + staff continuity = reload.
>
> I know many of you are nervous because we've seen it
> all before, but TODAY is a NEW DAY in Clemson
> Football. Dabo wants/expects this to be the best
> decade in our history. Our OL and DL talent has never
> been better. Never. We cannot expect RESPECT from the
> national media and fans if we suffer setbacks every
> time we lose players.
>
> Sammy's hurt, Martavis is suspended and we're down to
> LSU. Bring it!
> Watson is playing on one leg vs. our rival. Bring
> it!
> Watson sits out bowl game vs. Okla-freakin-homa.
> Bring it!
>
> No Excuses! Go Tigers!

Save the no drop off talk until they prove it on the field. We were very good last year because we were three deep with experienced and talented players. That is not the case this year so there will be growing pains.

Sep 2, 2015, 9:36 AM

I understand the hesitancy. I've followed the Tigers closely since the 70s. With due respect for your point, we're built for big boy football now.

WL

Sep 2, 2015, 9:44 AM

Our Secondary and LB's are so strong that "IF"...

The four big boys up front just bring decent pressure and stuff the run just 50%.....

We are in great shape! Drop off?? Probably. A lot? Don't count on it!

Go Tigers!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM [ in reply to Re: This is NOT your father's Clemson team. ]

So your point is experience and depth means nothing in "big boy football"?

Unfortunately the laws of the football gods are the same no matter what level.

BTW, I am not hesistant as I am outright saying we will have a drop off and you can bank on it

I'll speak more slow-ly...

Sep 2, 2015, 11:02 AM

You, and others, seem hesitant to believe we're now one of the elite teams, with elite talent, that can replace experienced players. We have talented, somewhat experienced players, and thanks to our schedule we'll have even more in two weeks.

Our current roster is so much more talented than our roster was just 7-10 years ago, it keeps us safe from those down years we used to suffer after losing experienced players in key positions.

So again, I get what you're saying. I'm just saying that while you're watching the tree grow there's a forest growing around it. Step back and behold!

Go Tigers!

WL

Sep 2, 2015, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Re: This is NOT your father's Clemson team. ]

By drop off , what are you saying ? Statistically speaking we probably won't have the #1 rated defense in the country . But , we have continued to recruit better players and redshirt most of the classes since Dabo's first year .

I think we gonna be ALL RIGHT .

Ding!

Sep 2, 2015, 11:09 AM

Amen, brother!

WL

Sep 2, 2015, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Re: This is NOT your father's Clemson team. ]

We lost all our rbs and te's last year at some point, our starting qb missed half the season, our #2 qb played hurt, our #3 qb was kicked off the team. Ee had 2 4 star wr's leave the team. Yet we still won ten and should have beaten fsu and played gt for the acc-cg. Not bad.

Ding!

Sep 2, 2015, 11:04 AM

Exactly what I'm saying. We've arrived. And I don't mind saying it. He'll, if we haven't arrived by now with the staff and recruiting we've put together, we never will.

WL

Sep 2, 2015, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Re: This is NOT your father's Clemson team. ]

Blanks started his freshman year in the same spot Wiggins started last year, Blanks is not a drop off from Wiggins, he may be better.
Watkins was starting at DT before his accident, he is not a drop off from Williams not Josh at DT he may be better.
Boulware started games for us last year, he is not a drop off from Steward, he might be better.
Shaq Lawson might be the best DE we have ever had at Clemson, but he will have to prove it on the field this season.

I do believe this is the best defensive secondary we have ever had at Clemson.... and I think they will prove it on the field. I expect us to be a top 10 D. So there is a drop off because of a lack of experience in the 2 deep. .... but the starters may be the best we have ever had... even without Wiggins and Reader. If Reader is back I think this would be the best 11 we have ever had.....

Sep 2, 2015, 12:26 PM

And don't forget our 12th guy- coach V. He's better than most others dcs.

Sep 2, 2015, 4:00 PM

He has been a starter his true freshman year at Clemson, and he has coached like a red shirt senior his first year compared to Steele with all his time with our defense. Steele was a walk on compared to the 5***** that BV has been from day one!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2015, 9:45 AM [ in reply to This is NOT your father's Clemson team. ]

I agree! Teams Bama and Oregon loses good players every season and they still stay perennial powers, so why can't we? I am sick of all the naysayers who think this program's culture hasn't changed!

Sep 2, 2015, 9:57 AM

> I agree! Teams Bama and Oregon loses good players
> every season and they still stay perennial powers, so
> why can't we? I am sick of all the naysayers who
> think this program's culture hasn't changed!

Those teams have deeper rosters as they sign 25 every year. No legacy recruits and kick players to the curb when they are out recruited.

Sep 2, 2015, 12:20 PM

<<
Those teams have deeper rosters as they sign 25 every year. No legacy recruits and kick players to the curb when they are out recruited.
>>

Those teams recruit 25 every year because they do not graduate all their players. We Do! almost. We have smaller classes because we have fewer players leaving early. The ones that do are playing in the NFL. Last year only one player left early ... a punter and Pinion was drafted. And I have no doubt he will get the 3 credits he needs to graduate.

Sep 3, 2015, 5:18 PM

Exactly! I understand that the personnel losses will affect our depth, but Mr Johnstone is all doom and gloom. Lets celebrate the phenomenal recruiting and the fact that we ARE reloading. The personnel losses we have suffered this year would have sunk our defense only 5 years ago. We are very close to that elite level. Lastly, I am SOOOO tired of everyone crying that nepotism is running rampant on the team. Mark my words, the Davis twins will contribute, and we will be lucky to get young Mr. Venables.

Ding!

Sep 2, 2015, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Re: This is NOT your father's Clemson team. ]

Great point

WL

No it is not but

Sep 2, 2015, 12:30 PM [ in reply to This is NOT your father's Clemson team. ]

I think we will be a top 40 defense. We have talent and so does everyone else. Playing the big games well is what will define our season. Young and talented is great as long as the potential shines through for W s.

Re: No it is not but

Sep 2, 2015, 12:40 PM

As long as the D plays well and DeShaun stays healthy, the Tigers will have a chance in every game. Actually, the D does not have to be great in order for Clemson to contend for a final four spot. Look at Auburn two years ago- so-so D and they almost won the whole thing. Or Ohio state last year. D was good, not great, and they did win it all.

Re: No it is not but

Sep 2, 2015, 2:20 PM [ in reply to No it is not but ]

I believe we will be top 25 in defense, top 5 in offense. We could very well go undefeated this year and/or next year. We have the talent.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So pumped to see Watkins play again***

Sep 2, 2015, 9:45 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: New Story: No Drop-Off

Sep 2, 2015, 11:35 AM

We will have a drop off at D line but Shaq will step up and I think Wilkins will kill it. Our secondary will be great. We have some of the best WRs and the best QB (and player) in college football. Add in a very favorable schedule with ND, FSU and GT at home and a dumpster fire USC. Not saying we will win a national championship, but we have the ability to win every single game and the sky really is the limit this season.

And we will only continue to get better as the season progresses and for the next few seasons.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic