Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: WATCH: Impressive drone video above Death Valley
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

FB Update: WATCH: Impressive drone video above Death Valley

Mar 30, 2016, 2:30 PM

WATCH: Impressive drone video above Death Valley

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope they are licensed!

Mar 30, 2016, 2:50 PM

The university doesn't like unlicensed drones and drone operators!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: I hope they are licensed!

Mar 31, 2016, 9:29 PM

there are about a grand total of 130 licensed drone pilots in the US. The number of hoops you have to jump through is insane. you have to be able to fly a real plane to be a licensed drone pilot and get a sports pilots lisence at minimum..

But as long as you are not charging money, then you only need to be registered with the FAA.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what happened to the Tigers painted on the North Side?

Mar 30, 2016, 4:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Bad angle.***

Mar 30, 2016, 6:35 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not impressed

Mar 30, 2016, 6:45 PM

Geez

the FAA thanks you for posting their names and faces

Mar 30, 2016, 6:53 PM

flying a drone within 5 miles of an active airfield (Oconee Airport) is a big old no-no.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/faq/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the FAA thanks you for posting their names and faces

Mar 31, 2016, 12:18 AM

My God it's some students flying a drone to show off a cool view of Death Valley, quit being an annoying hater

Re: the FAA thanks you for posting their names and faces

Mar 31, 2016, 4:04 AM

it is really dangerous and it is in line with the runway at Oconee airport, esp from where the drone was. He is only pointing out laws and you don't screw around with the faa. Drones are hard to see in the air as a pilot and landing a plane is a very busy time in flight as a lot is going on. You aren't really looking for them, especially since it is suppose to be a cleared area. He is just pointing out safety issues.

i do not think the airplanes landing course is heading over

Mar 31, 2016, 6:22 PM

death valley.....relaxxxxx

Re: i do not think the airplanes landing course is heading over

Mar 31, 2016, 6:27 PM

Nor have the laws on drones been really formalized since it's so new. But don't tell the Johnny Law's in this thread that.

Mar 31, 2016, 6:27 PM [ in reply to i do not think the airplanes landing course is heading over ]

They were to the north and West of the football stadium, which pretty much lines up with runway 25 at the airport. If you notice planes coming into Clemson on game day are in this zone

Mar 31, 2016, 8:53 PM

I cant't see a drone causing much damage to an airplane, since they are mostly mode of carbon fiber and the hardest part on the majority of them are the cameras. But, rules are rules. let's just be thankful he got the cool video and no one was injured

This guy thinks you're wrong

Mar 31, 2016, 9:05 PM

http://www.roboticstrends.com/article/sullenberger_drones_will_cause_plane_crash/

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: This guy thinks you're wrong

Mar 31, 2016, 10:55 PM

"It's not a matter of if it will happen, but when it will happen."

So you're saying it hasn't happened? lol

"Let's get bent out of shape about something that hasn't happened and make rules and regulations, and of course strict fines because we have to make some sort of money from this!"

I really do see the point and understand preventive measures, but come on man...

Mar 31, 2016, 11:03 PM

I got a goose at 5500 feet one time and that is like dropping a cannon ball from 11 feet and letting it hit on your big toe. What do you think? You ready? Does it have to happen before it's real....not sure. I hope not!

Mar 31, 2016, 11:26 PM

Sounds like you need to be paying more attention...lol jk. I really do understand the concern, but it just seems like people want to be in an uproar over something.

I do know that people are using this hobby to make some serious money taking pictures and videos for different companies, which is very cool. And the videos are awesome to watch. Doesn't seem like it should be too hard to meet in the middle as far as the regulations go, after all you dont just walk outside and see planes flying low to the ground and all over the place. Certain places should just be off limits

Apr 1, 2016, 5:25 AM

Pitch black night flying to Aiken to fill in for a dentist with prostrate cancer surgery. Never saw the goose and thought the engine had exploded with the loud noise.

That is exactly what the guy was talking about...it is one of the off limit places. Close to airport where planes are close to the ground. Same reason cell phone towers aren't in line with runways. Clemson is unique in that we have a stadium near the airport, thus the safety issue. Will it happen, idk, but the potential is there. The faa looks for safety first. That is all the guy was bringing up.

Apr 1, 2016, 7:00 AM

So you're frustrated because you hit a goose during a one-off stressful emergency situation in which you had to fly a small plane in the pitch black...

Yeah, that and the drone video are so similar, I totally understand your concern now. I bet the sky was filled with drones on that fateful night. It probably wasn't a goose you hit at all. Definitely a kid flying a drone doing something they weren't supposed to.

Apr 1, 2016, 7:24 AM

That was predrone days , but not pre ### days.
They are similar, but you probably don't even drive yet,so you have no clue. Get you tinker toys out and have a great day.

Apr 1, 2016, 7:27 AM [ in reply to Re: This guy thinks you're wrong ]

Oh,by the way, the goose feathers and blood and. Guts were all down the side of the plane, plus about 1500. In damage to the plane. So you are right, it was a drone I hit...with feathers.

Apr 17, 2016, 6:04 PM [ in reply to Re: This guy thinks you're wrong ]

Drone crashes into British Airways passenger jet as it comes in to land at Heathrow Airport. Well it's happened now.

Anyone caught flying an unmanned aircraft above 400ft or beyond their eyeline can be convicted under the air navigation order 2009, which carries a maximum sentence of six months' imprisonment.

Should their actions cause a pilot to take evasive action, they could be charged with endangering an aircraft and jailed for life.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic