Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This dude speaks the truth.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

This dude speaks the truth.

Jul 20, 2020, 7:55 AM

From today's local fish wrapper:

https://roanoke.com/sports/college/ed-hardin-get-ready-to-face-that-football-isnt-happening-this-fall/article_d33c328d-50d7-50e0-b537-9dc4c19ff196.html

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting take

Jul 20, 2020, 8:22 AM

And I can’t say it’s wrong.

Definitely spot on

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This dude speaks the truth.

Jul 20, 2020, 8:28 AM

I am at the point where I really do not care.

Baseball has been done. This is just a joke that it’s on TV. Basketball has been done. Hockey is done. Gratefully F1 is still going, but that is only about 70 laps of entertainment early on a Sunday.

I am over sports right now. I am over the political drama. I am over cable news networks. I am over it all. I just really want to be with my kids and wife and finish out a great summer on the boat, pool and travels.

Soon enough it’s going to be school time and that is going to be the true sh*t show of the
year. I am really going to get angry when teachers that have had 6 months off and have been going to beaches, lakes, traveling and shopping try and tell us that they are not going to teach. Public schools will learn quickly that most of us can gather enough kids and families and get Charter schools rolling or will go to Private Schools.

Sports is nothing right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hockey starts August 1st!!!!***

Jul 20, 2020, 8:37 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Agree on all counts. Wish APM could travel.

Jul 20, 2020, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Re: This dude speaks the truth. ]

But we're out of summer. lil'APM is supposed to start college in about 3 weeks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

where is he/she going?***

Jul 20, 2020, 8:55 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Elon. Supposedly. NC has a slew of new cases.

Jul 20, 2020, 9:34 AM

They are doing everything in their power to get that tuition money and offer in-person classes, but I won't believe it until I see him on campus.

Nice! out of statue huh? much more expensive than instate?***

Jul 20, 2020, 12:51 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You obviously have no college-aged kids. 1) private school

Jul 20, 2020, 1:02 PM

2) the whole in-state/outta state deal is kind of a thing of the past, because for selective schools, it all comes down to what kind of deal they will give you for the kind of student you are.

Luckily, COVID is about the end this BS game/house of cards.

Locally, Roanoke College has already had faculty cuts on benefits and staff layoffs.

Sorry if that sounded snarky. Private college, just a game.

Jul 20, 2020, 1:06 PM

No one pays list price unless one is just a rich kid with bad grades or a foreign student.

We got a better deal with Elon than from UVA or W&M, his other top choices.

walmart, target, grocery, food workers - fine

Jul 20, 2021, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Re: This dude speaks the truth. ]

teachers - how can you expect us to risk our lives to teach these children???? Are you some kind of animal?

What mental gymnastics are you pulling off to equate those?***

Jul 20, 2020, 9:01 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

are you saying teachers > target worker?

Jul 20, 2020, 9:04 AM

not sure where you are going but ok

And what mental gymnastics did you do to interpret

Jul 20, 2020, 9:08 AM

I said teachers > Target workers? JFC.

Do you think that stores with protocols for cleaning, one-way aisles, cashier shields, mask requirements, social distance requirements, etc. are the same for a school? Do you think children are capable of following those instructions? Do you think school rooms are capable of social distancing the children?

Do you think the schools are going to pay for the extra cleaning supplies the teachers will need to use?

I’m not sure what part of 7 hours in the same room

Jul 20, 2020, 9:31 AM

with 20 kids is so hard to understand.

I'll go with the science on this one.

Jul 20, 2020, 9:42 AM [ in reply to And what mental gymnastics did you do to interpret ]

Elementary school is probably ok. Middle and high school, should be online or whatever. Not ok.

Just how I see it.

South Korea did a recent study (why do we never do useful studies in the US?) that showed kids under around 10yo only spread the virus among their household members like 11% of the time. Those percentages shot up though with middle and high school kids. End result is it's over twice as safe for teachers, and parents, for elementary aged kids versus middle and high school level, which is similar to the adult rate of transmission.

Anyway, fwiw...

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/10/20-1315_article

Also interesting to note, if you have a 15yo or a 29yo kid in the basement living, whatever, the odds of catching it in a household from them is the same. This is the problem our baby sitter has. She's 15yo. Her mother and father both have it. Father is in the hospital. Mother is bedridden with it basically, but still at home. If you have ANY means to find a place away from the household, go there if you get sick. Otherwise seriously lock yourself in a room and stay there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i have no issue with HS being online

Jul 20, 2020, 9:44 AM

elementary kids will never be able to learn online.

But but BUT. Those are South Koreans, not Americans.

Jul 20, 2020, 9:51 AM [ in reply to I'll go with the science on this one. ]

you know, they live in a culture that is used to complying with what is requested

Australia is back in school too. everyone country will be

Jul 20, 2020, 9:52 AM

back in school but douchenuggets in the US

Every other country has handled the virus better.

Jul 20, 2020, 10:00 AM

Funny how that works.

AND, fwiw....in Australia they've locked down certain areas again regionally. Germany too. And everywhere where they're dealing with the virus and not ignoring it.

Here, read up on what we're not doing. You'll see why they have things like schools and sports happening.

https://www.smh.com.au/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And they're all dems. Don't forget that.

Jul 20, 2020, 9:55 AM [ in reply to But but BUT. Those are South Koreans, not Americans. ]

They really want to falsify a national study to undermine Trump and gain victory in the November elections.

yes, yes they are

Jul 20, 2020, 9:43 AM [ in reply to And what mental gymnastics did you do to interpret ]

our school system is already creating social distancing protocols that will probably be better than any store.

I can tell you Walmart is packed to the gills.

Then that's good.***

Jul 20, 2020, 9:56 AM

Re: walmart, target, grocery, food workers - POOR

Jul 20, 2020, 9:35 AM [ in reply to walmart, target, grocery, food workers - fine ]

not fine, but no choice

Educators are, well, educated.

If masks work so well, schools can reopen...all the doctors

Jul 20, 2020, 9:45 AM [ in reply to walmart, target, grocery, food workers - fine ]

say so

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

I think some parents are so eager to make their kids

Jul 20, 2020, 9:24 AM [ in reply to Re: This dude speaks the truth. ]

someone else's problem that they don't even want to hear the reasons why it's a bad idea.

Also, what makes you think that private schools and charter schools would be different? Have they not been doing distance learning?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Partly and partly because people want to work.

Jul 20, 2020, 9:40 AM

School = daycare for many working adults. They can make do short-term, because everyone got stimulus money and spring flowed into summer break anyhow, which people would have had some plans for already.

But now we're facing the start of a school year. Kids are not learning well with online-only classes. Teachers do not want to be in a Petri dish of classrooms. And parents need help - mentally and financially - need a break from the kids and need to work for income.

The sad part is we’re doing all this bending over backwards

Jul 20, 2020, 9:43 AM

to get schools to accommodate businesses instead of asking businesses to accommodate the schools.

smh. lets say a cure never happens. you gonna do this crap

Jul 20, 2020, 9:51 AM

forever? What is your, hey, lets get back to business moment? when there is no cure. You gonna get 10s of millions out of work that long? how many lives are you destroying?

I'm guessing Nov 6 is your breaking point lol

Are you really shaking your head?

Jul 20, 2020, 11:55 AM

Some have a lot of skin in this game and are ignoring politics.

Re: I think some parents are so eager to make their kids

Jul 20, 2020, 9:40 AM [ in reply to I think some parents are so eager to make their kids ]

I am not answering anyone else as they are just baiting into circular arguments.

I am not wanting to make my kids someone else’s problem. I never hired a babysitter nor a nanny during all of the lockdown. I balanced work and the kids for close to what....95 days? My wife has to be on calls all day with consultants and her project team, so I had to take over. I am fine with making that happen.

I also have a degree in education and taught school for 2 years before going after my passion and working my hobby. I know what it takes to teach school. If I need to verify more, my sister is a Principal at an Elementary school in Western NC. I want my kids to go back for the same reason that my sister, Principal, remind you want them to go back. I do not have the time to truly sit and teach them, I do not have the necessary tools to teach them as good as in the classroom. What we also many times forget about is how school is a refuge for the hungry and battered kids. It’s sometimes/many times their only refuge. Kids need to be in school to socialize, to learn, to be fed in many cases and to expand their minds beyond the community playground.

Yes, we are looking at Private schools and yes many are going forward, but having smaller cohorts. I will not let my kids be left behind due to the ineptitude of Federal and State government.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my 8 yr old son will NOT learn a thing from zoom mtgs

Jul 20, 2020, 9:54 AM

he couldnt last 2 30 minute zoom meetings a week. Little kids aren't mature enough to learn from a teacher on a screen for 6 hrs a day.

Is he mature enough to keep a mask on for 8 hours and

Jul 20, 2020, 10:00 AM

stay six feet apart from other kids?

Re: Is he mature enough to keep a mask on for 8 hours and

Jul 20, 2020, 10:08 AM

Masks are not required in class but in common spaces. Humanities and Linch are in class experience as well. K-4 go in smaller cohorts until Stage 5.

I am blaming teachers because they are getting paid to sit on their ### while I am having to work and pay taxes at the same amount. If they will all forego their paycheck and not get paid for not working, let’s work through that first. Then we can see who is left to teach. Or potentially let’s take that saved dollars and recruit higher quality educators.

I'll just try this one more time...

Jul 20, 2020, 10:20 AM

It makes sense to be mad at the situation, but do you understand that it's not the teachers' decision? It's like football being canceled and getting mad at the players. It makes no sense.

Re: I'll just try this one more time...

Jul 20, 2020, 11:03 AM

The teachers, if not in a classroom, should not be getting paid post 9/1. If I am not working, how do I get paid? If they are getting paid, then I want their butts in the classroom.

You're not stupid, tm, if you gotta let out some

Jul 20, 2020, 11:58 AM

bluster, point it at your school board and dumb a s s politicians who failed to respond to 'rona in any meaningful way. They are your decision makers and power brokers.

Why do you have to be an a

Jul 20, 2020, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Is he mature enough to keep a mask on for 8 hours and ]

hole and blame a group of people who have no power or control over the situation? That make it easier for you?

actually ya, he is

Jul 20, 2020, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Is he mature enough to keep a mask on for 8 hours and ]

cant say that about the 6 yr old ones tho.

My son always makes sure we have our mask on.

Considering you have so much experience in education

Jul 20, 2020, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: I think some parents are so eager to make their kids ]

(and I mean that seriously, not being a smart ###) it's weird that you'd say the teachers have been on vacation for six months and blame them for any continuation of distance learning since it's not their decision. If you want to roast someone, go after the people running the state government.

It's understandable to be frustrated under the circumstances, but don't take that frustration out on teachers. They already have enough #### to deal with.

Jul 20, 2020, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Re: This dude speaks the truth. ]

Agree with Tigermanic... If they play, I doubt I'll follow that closely. Not interested in the nfl any more, and ncaa is fading fast.
Sure as #### won't watch it systemically like I once did!

Jul 20, 2020, 8:35 AM

Masks are too painful and limits our freedom. We would rather destroy the economy than wear a mask.

At least we don't currently have

Jul 20, 2020, 9:13 AM

the economic problems I thought would come if things weren't "Back to normal" by football season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Disagree - Young college age adults from 18 to 25 are going_

Jul 20, 2020, 10:20 AM

To do similar activities whether at college or not.

A structured environment with testing, quarantining and treatment is likely safer than being at home. A college football program easily is a better environment, and also could argue college life in general also is a good place for young adults _ with rapid testing, isolation of positive cases and treatment.

1) should we use testing resources and $ on the players?

Jul 20, 2020, 10:43 AM

It is a serious consideration. Of course it all comes down to money, which the writer of the article states. But he is right, IMO. A coach, even Dabo, is just a coach. They don't need to be the highest paid employee in the state. And football money should not drive the college athletics bus.

2) yes, but those hale and hearty young men will be in contact with cafeteria workers, laundry workers, etc., who will go home and infect the vulnerable.

Both good points. Testing $ yes. Uncertain on support staff.

Jul 20, 2020, 11:09 AM

Health risk to support staff is a negative but full employment is a positive.

It is not an easy call .... candidly I vacillate.

alternate or waver between different opinions or actions

Jul 20, 2020, 11:39 AM

be indecisive

thanks for the word

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Thanks Mrs. Fitzgerald - JR & SR College Prep English ...

Jul 20, 2020, 11:46 AM

10 words a day ... spelling and definitions. 5 minute test everyday to start class.

English SAT scores of 680 got me into Clemson ??

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic