Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
College Football TV
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

College Football TV

Jun 13, 2017, 9:51 AM

Question to those in the know or experience.....I'm wanting to cut the cord. My biggest concern is availability to watch College Football come fall. I have Firestick with Kodi but after the latest lawsuit filed by Dish and Apps closing down....I worry that will not be an option. I don't know much about Hulu's new live service or Sling's service. Does anyone have experience with those and how good the stream is with ESPN or how it did last season? Or are there other options?

TIA

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: College Football TV

Jun 13, 2017, 10:03 AM

Great question. I've had Dish for many years and watched news, sports and documentaries. The kids turned me on to the amazing amount of news and content on YouTube and other online sources. I am considering dropping it all except I want to be able to watch every Clemson game in the fall on my fire stick or other. I hope someone has the answer as I am close to pulling the plug.

I have two recent college grads and one halfway through and none of them watch TV. It is surprising just how fast cable/satellite is dying so quickly and how many college age kids stopped long ago.

Jun 13, 2017, 10:10 AM

Agreed - I have a student at Clemson and he never watches TV. Everything on his laptop - some Netflix. My youngest in the house watches very little - mostly on his phone all time. And I can find/add the shows he wants onto the Firestick. I've got an antenna I'm adding so I can keep the locals....just wondering what's the best alternatives - mainly for football. I know last year, KODI was not a good source for live football - alot of freezing/buffering. Not sure how good Sling is/was and Hulu is new to the live streaming and I don't know anyone that uses it to hear how good/reliable it is.

Jun 13, 2017, 10:17 AM

I got rid of satellite and cable altogether. I mainly watch netflix now.

However, for you, it sounds like you might benefit from something like Sling TV. $20/month, and you can get every espn channel available in addition to many of the major networks you are used to.

They have 2 packages, Sling Orange and Sling Blue,(orange is $20, blue is $25) the main difference being the sports channels that are available. Orange has all the ESPN channels, and Blue has all of the others (FS1, CBS, whatever else there is).Check it out if you are serious.

You can then just couple that service with maybe an antenna to get your local channels.

Only problem I have run into is you still have to have internet service, which is more expensive if not bundled, but still cheaper than the bundle.

you got a lot more options than a few years ago

Jun 13, 2017, 10:37 AM

DirecTV NOW
HULU Live TV
Sling
Playstation VUE

and some areas YOUTUBE live TV

I cut the cord 3 years ago...I've streamed every Clemson game. I personally use Sling bc it was the first to offer it and I'm used to it. I pay $30/month...I get all the ESPNs and all the kids channels along with like 20 plus other channels. for local I use an Antenna.

I have a Roku to play Sling and other things like Netflix, Amazon, etc.

So with your Firestick you should be able to download any of the Apps listed above and try a free trial of each one. Pick whichever one you like the best. I've tried all of them and I like Sling bc its easy to use. If I had to rank them:

I'd go Sling (personal preference)
Hulu
DirecTV NOW
Playstation VUE

but I have friends that like Playstation Vue better and others that like DirecTV NOW better. Just try them all out and pick.

I will say you need a good internet connection. I have 100mbps and an updated dual-band Router. If you haven't updated your router in a while you may want to do that. It will cut down on the freezing while streaming. 100mbps isn't even that fast but I never have issues while streaming. Its all about your hardware (no pun intended)

good luck...once you do it you'll never go back to cable or satellite.

Re: you got a lot more options than a few years ago

Jun 13, 2017, 12:51 PM

Yeah...seems like DirecTV Now is like $60 or so. A bit high. I've been leaning to sling. Will Playstation Vue work on firestick?

According to the article I linked, it will

Jun 13, 2017, 12:53 PM

"While the service is available on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, you can also use the service with Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, Google Chromecast, Android, iPad, and iPhone."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: you got a lot more options than a few years ago

Jun 13, 2017, 1:12 PM [ in reply to you got a lot more options than a few years ago ]

So Sling.....I understand orange is 1 viewer only.....and to get all the channels, you need to get both orange and blue and even with that, is it more than 1 viewer? I've been told it goes up in grades of the rates based on some of this.

Also, I have Charter 60 meg service and I stream already now with 2 firesticks in house and a chromecast - not to mention phones and laptops.

I just need to do the free trial and see how it goes.

With Orange you can stream on one device at a time.

Jun 13, 2017, 1:19 PM

With Blue, three devices, and with both Orange and Blue, four devices.

http://help.sling.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Can-I-watch-Sling-TV-on-multiple-devices-at-the-same-time-13

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2017, 10:41 AM

Sling. I watched every game last year except the ones I attended. We cut the cord 3 years ago and haven't missed a single second of it. After football season I cancel it and just pay for Netflix. There's more on Netflix to watch than any man can shake a stick at. To me, it's a no-brainer.

This article is very helpful...

Jun 13, 2017, 11:58 AM

https://www.groundedreason.com/cable-tv-alternatives/

Re: This article is very helpful...

Jun 13, 2017, 12:51 PM

Awesome. Thanks man!

Re: This article is very helpful...

Jun 13, 2017, 1:06 PM

Just remember there are no contracts with Sling or Playstation Vue. I had Sling first and for whatever reason it kept buffering using my ROKU. I cancelled Sling and opened a Playstation Vue account literally in the middle of the first game last year and have stayed with it since as I have not had any buffering issues with it. Once HuluTV offers AMC though I will likely switch.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice link... Thanks. +1.***

Jun 13, 2017, 1:41 PM [ in reply to This article is very helpful... ]

Jun 13, 2017, 1:21 PM

First get rid of the Fire Stick, the wifi chips on those are as weak as the processor and you'll never know if the app is having issues or if it's the Stick causing them. Also I wouldn't use 3rd party Kodi addons to compare to a proper streaming service that has multiple million dollar severs. I'd suggest getting the newer version on the chromecast and trying out YouTube TV service or whichever offers the best channel lineup for your needs.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic