Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Final thoughts on the Georgia game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 113
| visibility 51

New Story: Final thoughts on the Georgia game

Sep 1, 2014, 7:01 AM

Final thoughts on the Georgia game

Final thoughts from David Hood on Clemson's 45-21 loss at Georgia. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Totally agree on everything, esp the Tight ends......

Sep 1, 2014, 7:13 AM

We played timid and let the Dawgs have their way with us. I am tired of the big losses. Hope they get this turned around quick!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Re: Totally agree on everything, esp the Tight ends......

Sep 1, 2014, 7:21 AM

The facts on the loses are rough! When was the last close game with a ranked opponent that the tigers lost? Auburn 2010? I guess on the flip side you could say that if clemson is close very late in the 4th you have to like their chances?

We were up 10 in the 4th in Tallahassee two years ago. Then

Sep 1, 2014, 8:35 AM

the special teams did their usual allowing two huge returns. The momentum swung, the quiet crowd came alive and the Noles rolled.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

we were up 14 & 10 in the 3rd, they took a 4 point lead into

Sep 1, 2014, 8:44 AM

the 4th, but the rest is spot on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep, sorry. 7 mins left in the 3rd, then the wheels came off***

Sep 1, 2014, 9:00 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

good convo t_swim, no need to apologize...***

Sep 1, 2014, 9:11 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

EXCELLENT, David! Does this game remind anyone of 2012

Sep 1, 2014, 9:39 AM [ in reply to Totally agree on everything, esp the Tight ends...... ]

loss to SCar in Death Valley? Playing well in 1st half - then got conservative
& LOST!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Need to remove Adam for punt returns..

Sep 1, 2014, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Totally agree on everything, esp the Tight ends...... ]

WE want get any returns for touchdowns or big yardage with him back there...offensive line was terrible in the second half and that cost us the game.

Re: New Story: Final thoughts on the Georgia game

Sep 1, 2014, 7:22 AM

I was very surprised that we have gotten away from using the tight ends. I wondered this the entire game. Seems like the only time they were in the game they were used for blocking. We used to use our tight ends a lot. Dwayne Allen and Brandon Ford were a big part of the scheme and were targeted often during their time at Clemson. I would like to see us go back to using the tight end position for more than just blocking...

I had told my dad( who does not follow closely but watches

Sep 1, 2014, 7:30 AM

On Saturdays) that we would use the tight ends to neutralize their LB blitzing ability. I especially told him to watch out for #16 because " he is a mismatch made in heaven for us". I got back from the game and had lunch with dad yesterday. He asked me " where was that #16?". I had no answer.....I hope Chad will soon.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Sep 1, 2014, 7:30 AM

On top of that, all the big wins are squeakers... 3 points over UGA, 5 points over OH St, and 1 pt over LSU. That's not really elite. Over the last 3 years we've been a tweener... better than the scrubs but drilled by the big boys. We've won 11 games in consecutive years but lost the division and the in-state rivalry game both years. Our most prolific QB of all time never beat the shamecocks. Beating the dregs of the ACC was never a given under West or Bowden so that's an improvement, but this continual building of expectations followed by public floggings is painful to follow.

I think this goes back to recruiting on the lines and/or the S&C program. We simply aren't bigger, stronger, or tougher than the real teams and it prevents our edge weapons from dominating like we know they could.

Sep 1, 2014, 10:35 AM

You hit the nail on the head. We are not built to slug it out with a physical team. Hopefully the class of 2015 will help in that regard.

any update on the "new wrinkle"? i think it was malzahn's

Sep 1, 2014, 7:32 AM

"quick snap/change of pace", but maybe there was something else they were referencing?

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15722546

The common denominator in those nine losses

Sep 1, 2014, 7:32 AM

is Dabo. Ask him about the Jekyll and Hyde nature of our team that manifested itself in those games. He said he would get it fixed after West Virginia. So what is the "it" that needs to be fixed?

Go Tigers

Jekyll and Hyde is losing to Duke and Wake Forest, not Top

Sep 1, 2014, 8:21 AM

10 teams.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree scott, but there's something not right about that

Sep 1, 2014, 8:27 AM

2nd half or similar losses to good teams as dhood mentions.

nothing wrong with losing & you might actually play better in some losses than in some victories based on opponent, but there is nothing "right" about that 2nd half the other night and we've seen it before.

Jekyll and Hyde also applies to

Sep 1, 2014, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Jekyll and Hyde is losing to Duke and Wake Forest, not Top ]

those nine loses. Go back and watch them again.

the tale of 2 halves...

Sep 1, 2014, 8:41 AM

1st half: ~ 54 plays, 276 yards, 14 1st downs and 21 points[should have been more]

2nd half: ~ 22 plays, 15 yards, 1 first down and zero points

Re: Jekyll and Hyde is losing to Duke and Wake Forest, not Top

Sep 1, 2014, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Jekyll and Hyde is losing to Duke and Wake Forest, not Top ]

No shame in loosing to top 10 teams,but getting whipped time and time again on national tv,yes there is a problem somewhere that needs to be fixed

Re: Jekyll and Hyde is losing to Duke and Wake Forest, not Top

Sep 1, 2014, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Jekyll and Hyde is losing to Duke and Wake Forest, not Top ]

No shame in loosing to top 10 teams,but getting whipped time and time again on national tv,yes there is a problem somewhere that needs to be fixed

I disagree. We go toe to toe with Ohio State, Georgia, LSU

Sep 2, 2014, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Jekyll and Hyde is losing to Duke and Wake Forest, not Top ]

but can't with USuC and FSU.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: The common denominator in those nine losses

Sep 1, 2014, 9:08 AM [ in reply to The common denominator in those nine losses ]

Want to know another common denominator?
Batson

And he works for Dabo

Sep 1, 2014, 9:26 AM

Sep 1, 2014, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Re: The common denominator in those nine losses ]

Be careful. You are treading on sacred ground. Our strength is outstanding. Just ask Dabo.

Was Batson on leave against GA last year or

Sep 1, 2014, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Re: The common denominator in those nine losses ]

Oh. St. or LSU a couple of years ago. Nothing wrong with S&C but good try.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 1, 2014, 11:01 AM [ in reply to The common denominator in those nine losses ]

There are two common denominators. One is we do not make adjustments at the half. We show everything that we can do in the first half and leave no surprises for the second half. If we are leading or close, we have a false sense of security. Second is mental and emotional. Several of these big games that have been played at home - you could read the players and coaches faces as they walked Tiger Walk. Last year against Georgia, they laughed and joked with crowd. Last year against FSU and the year before against Carolina, they all looked horrible-few smiles and a lot less interaction with the fans. I understand being nervous but it was almost like they felt they were already beat. Jimbo Fisher said before the National Champ game that FSU's biggest challenge was keeping the team busy and occupied the week leading up to the game to prevent emotions from getting out of control. Our guys and coaches want to prove themselves so badly that I think it eats at them. Need to find a way to manage the pressure that comes with big games.

Sep 1, 2014, 11:56 AM [ in reply to The common denominator in those nine losses ]

AS long as Swinney is at Clemson this will continue,and he will be here for a long time because our administration made sure of that with the 24 million dollar buyout!

Hope Swinney retires at Clemson which will mean that

Sep 1, 2014, 4:07 PM

we have been highly successful.

Sep 1, 2014, 11:57 AM [ in reply to The common denominator in those nine losses ]

AS long as Swinney is at Clemson this will continue,and he will be here for a long time because our administration made sure of that with the 24 million dollar buyout!

Sep 1, 2014, 12:21 PM [ in reply to The common denominator in those nine losses ]

Special Teams and they have not been fixed. Cat was a good kicker last year, but there is much more to special teams than having a good kicker. Special teams are always a reflection of the coaching.

You tell em coot***

Sep 1, 2014, 2:13 PM [ in reply to The common denominator in those nine losses ]

You saw exactly what everybody else saw, and it is

Sep 1, 2014, 7:46 AM

indeed a mystery.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: You saw exactly what everybody else saw, and it is

Sep 1, 2014, 1:50 PM

A mediocre, undersized OL isn't too much of a mystery to me.

Re: You saw exactly what everybody else saw, and it is

Sep 1, 2014, 4:28 PM

I don't know if I agree with the "undersized" aspect of your description of our OL, but the mediocre evaluation is highly accurate.

Forgot 'thin.'

Sep 1, 2014, 4:30 PM [ in reply to Re: You saw exactly what everybody else saw, and it is ]

With pretty much zero OL depth, we won't be winning ANY close games this year. Our guys get tired, too.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 1, 2014, 7:55 AM

I can identify one constant in the big losses, Chad Morris' s scheme. He is a great coordinator but honestly at times it likes he has the mentality of a teenage girl. If the run ain't working then give it up and don't force it. It's like he decides that's what he wants do and he's going to do it just because.

I hated the comments he made about being stuck inside our own 20. It wasn't just about being stuck. We were stuck because there was never a play called worth more than 4 yards. Sorry to say it but Humphries is not the guy to run screen patterns with, especially not two times in a row.

Also, I say let Gallman, Choice, and Davis have the carries. They are the best ones, screw all this seniority stuff. If you want to play then be better than than the other guys at the position.

Sep 1, 2014, 8:16 AM

COULDNT AGREE MORE!!! First of all don't tell us about all our goodies and then give us none to eat. We heard Dabo all week say about some of our veterans "they've earned the right " okay earned the right because of the time they've been at CU or earned because they're the better player??? One huge part of our recruiting has been boasting come to CU and play early...well???

Second, Chad Morris, I don't know where to start...do I think the guy is good, yes. Has he helped us, yes. BUT, NEVER HAD A PLAN B OR C etc... it's a lil narcissistic, and yes that whole comment about being stuck inside the 20 was just plain STUPID! Is that how other teams play " well stuck inside the 20 oh well...." Go Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2016, 3:55 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Final thoughts on the Georgia game ]

If our recievers would catch the ball maybe we would have been able to throw more, Mike Williams had hands of stone Saturday!