Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This Is Mainly for Joe21...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

This Is Mainly for Joe21...

Aug 30, 2019, 4:30 PM

And any veterans that served during WWII.
Joe21,
This is something you may be interested in. My 90 year old dad just gave me a small pocket-sized Bible that belonged to my uncle Virgil, who died approximately 30 years ago. Uncle Virgil served in World War II, and before he was shipped overseas, his mother-in-law gave him this small pocket sized Bible and told him to keep it with him at all times, that it would protect him.
Uncle Virgil was part of the landing force at Pointe du Hoc, a promontory situated to the west of the main troop landing site near Omaha beach in Normandy.
My dad told me to read this Bible and skim through it and look at the notes that Uncle Virgil made. He made notes as he left the United States, during his journey, before they made landing, and before they scaled the cliffs. As you knew they were successful in knocking out the guns that set atop the cliffs.
When Uncle Virgil returned home, he found that he and his wife we're unable to have children. Uncle Virgil started up many children sports leagues in the Greer, South Carolina area. When he wasn't coaching he was umpiring or helping the children at his church in some way. When I was 10 years old, he took me to his barn in the backyard, which was always locked. He opened the barn and told me to go through and pick out anything that I wanted. It was packed full of everything you can imagine. Of course I picked out sporting equipment. I wish that I would have gotten some of his World War II items so that I could pass them on to my children. But most importantly, I have his Bible to pass along to my son, who will be starting Clemson next year.
Thank you Joe for your service to our country in so many ways, and thank you to all the other veterans which served in World War II. Your generation was truly the greatest.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Re: This Is Mainly for Joe21...

Aug 30, 2019, 4:42 PM

No doubt about it Pig. That Bible is the most cherished thing above anything in that barn.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2019, 4:47 PM

Agreed

Aug 30, 2019, 5:33 PM

I was given a small pocket Bible which I had with me at all times. I don't remember if this was a GI Issue or it was given to me by my home town church. It's located in a box with some other "stuff". My oldest grandson is a history buff and will probably get most of my "stuff", including my medals. I even have a cigarette lighter painted that horrible Olive Drab. I have my Dad's sword from the late 1890's that he will get plus a photo of my Dad with his sword and his company officers. He was a Captain, the Commander of his company. I showed Lightbulbbill the sword and the photo when he was here today.

There were a lot of other items I now wish I had saved but we had a lot of other "stuff" to carry around and didn't want to add to that load.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2019, 6:13 PM

I get it.
I thought you might have found this interesting. Thanks for the reply.

Aug 30, 2019, 8:49 PM

That picture of you and Bill is what got me thinking about all of this. TigerNet is a great tool if used properly. I'm glad y'all had the chance to meet.

Aug 30, 2019, 10:21 PM

I believe I may have known you uncle. He was very good friends with my parents...if we’re talking about the same person. I used to go ride his horses when I was a kid.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic